Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis

Moderators: jamaalstar21, -Sammy-, infinite11285, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

Who is a better player right now?

Kevin Durant
169
50%
Giannis
170
50%
 
Total votes: 339

mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,553
And1: 817
Joined: Aug 11, 2014
       

Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#1 » by mdonnelly1989 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:46 am

Who is a better player right now? Kevin Durant or Giannis
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 110,103
And1: 64,040
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Mud Hut
 

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#2 » by Dupp » Wed Sep 8, 2021 5:08 am

Well it really depends. KD can’t get you though a regular season and playoffs. He hasn’t had an elite regular season in ever. He’s low key kawhi-esk.

Now come playoffs I think he’s better. But start to finish Giannis is clearly better. So it really depends on your situation but without a stacked deck to get you through a season I dunno how you can pick against Giannis.
User avatar
SUPERVILLAIN
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,688
And1: 5,068
Joined: Apr 08, 2020

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#3 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Wed Sep 8, 2021 5:23 am

KD.

Winning a title does not make you the “best”. LeBron was the undisputed best player for the last decade. No matter which team won the title.
LAL1947
Pro Prospect
Posts: 810
And1: 369
Joined: Dec 28, 2018

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#4 » by LAL1947 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 5:51 am

KD... but I can hardly wait for the day when Luka takes over the throne. Halleluka!
Jables
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,940
And1: 1,474
Joined: Jul 21, 2014
   

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#5 » by Jables » Wed Sep 8, 2021 6:11 am

I gotta laugh when people say winning a title doesn't make you the best ... when Durant has a superteam and has never achieved anything like Giannis did, and no one even had him CLOSE to LeBron before he joined the Warriors, who are you guys kidding? Yeah who knows if they were healthy, that still wouldn't mean he's ever actually led a team "the right way", seems to me that Giannis doesn't have to prove anything.
Pelly24
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,409
And1: 3,190
Joined: Aug 02, 2016
     

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#6 » by Pelly24 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 6:43 am

Jables wrote:I gotta laugh when people say winning a title doesn't make you the best ... when Durant has a superteam and has never achieved anything like Giannis did, and no one even had him CLOSE to LeBron before he joined the Warriors, who are you guys kidding? Yeah who knows if they were healthy, that still wouldn't mean he's ever actually led a team "the right way", seems to me that Giannis doesn't have to prove anything.


Yeah Ill just say both cases were examples of flawed logic.
shza
Senior
Posts: 511
And1: 498
Joined: Sep 25, 2017
     

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#7 » by shza » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:22 am

I can’t believe even a single person votes Giannis. I don’t think it’s really close. Giannis is a raw athlete. No moves, can’t shoot. Similar in a lot of ways to this board*s current least favorite player, Ben Simmons (with considerably better drive but minus the playmaking and court vision). He’s the best raw athlete in the league, but he doesn’t compare to a guy who’s also 7’, has handles like a guard, has a ton of slick, skilled moves, and is one of the best shooters in the game.

Does anyone truly believe the Bucks win that series if Middleton and Jrue both get injured, like KD’s #2 and #3 did? Of course not.

Giannis is in tight competition with Luka for most overrated player in the NBA.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
Posts: 2,724
And1: 1,722
Joined: Sep 26, 2016
   

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#8 » by Da ThRONe » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:35 am

Shooting is king in the league. Durant's one of the best.
'
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 39,002
And1: 15,838
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#9 » by AussieBuck » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:36 am

shza wrote:I can’t believe even a single person votes Giannis. I don’t think it’s really close. Giannis is a raw athlete. No moves, can’t shoot. He’s the best raw athlete in the league, but he doesn’t compare to a guy who’s also 7’, has handles like a guard, has a ton of slick, skilled moves, and is one of the best shooters in the game.

Does anyone truly believe the Bucks win that series if Middleton and Jrue both get injured, like KD’s #2 and #3 did? Of course not.

Giannis is in tight competition with Luka for most overrated player in the NBA.

haha, Durant has won nothing without a 73 win team at his back. Giannis just dropped 50 to win the finals. :D

This is like saying Yao > Shaq because shooting. Giannis has a significantly better handle which is one reason why he can run a team and Durant can't. You've confusing fancy crossovers for fundamental handles. Giannis has a tighter, lower handle and has significantly better footwork and off hand dribbling.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.


emunney wrote:St. Brandon Jennings, Patron Saint of Unconventionally Kept Promises
PicPock
Sophomore
Posts: 170
And1: 170
Joined: Sep 07, 2017
 

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#10 » by PicPock » Wed Sep 8, 2021 9:38 am

AussieBuck wrote:
shza wrote:I can’t believe even a single person votes Giannis. I don’t think it’s really close. Giannis is a raw athlete. No moves, can’t shoot. He’s the best raw athlete in the league, but he doesn’t compare to a guy who’s also 7’, has handles like a guard, has a ton of slick, skilled moves, and is one of the best shooters in the game.

Does anyone truly believe the Bucks win that series if Middleton and Jrue both get injured, like KD’s #2 and #3 did? Of course not.

Giannis is in tight competition with Luka for most overrated player in the NBA.

haha, Durant has won nothing without a 73 win team at his back. Giannis just dropped 50 to win the finals. :D

This is like saying Yao > Shaq because shooting. Giannis has a significantly better handle which is one reason why he can run a team and Durant can't. You've confusing fancy crossovers for fundamental handles. Giannis has a tighter, lower handle and has significantly better footwork and off hand dribbling.

Actually there are 5 major skills in basketball. Shooting, dribbling, defense, rebounding and passing and Giannis is already better at 4/5 and also better finisher in >10 feet from the rim.

We could also talk about the minor ones like toughness, awareness, work ethic, attitude, mentality, motor etc.

The gap is huge
CIN-C-STAR
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,023
And1: 8,142
Joined: Dec 17, 2017

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#11 » by CIN-C-STAR » Wed Sep 8, 2021 10:11 am

Giannis better defender, passer, rebounder... I guess you could say KD is a better scorer, but is he though?
I think KD, while undoubtedly great, gets a little overrated due to the aesthetic appeal of his game. Seeing a big dude hit a step back jumper looks a lot more impressive and skillful, but if the other dude can just body someone and dunk it who really cares at the end of the day?
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Lalouie
RealGM
Posts: 13,057
And1: 6,163
Joined: May 12, 2017

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#12 » by Lalouie » Wed Sep 8, 2021 10:51 am

it's kd

but kd never lead his team or was the heart and soul of the team like giannis
kd wasn't the alpha @okc and curry was the leader of gsw
art_tatum
Starter
Posts: 2,474
And1: 2,038
Joined: Jun 01, 2018
 

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#13 » by art_tatum » Wed Sep 8, 2021 10:54 am

How is KD losing? They literally just went head to head in the playoffs with KD having the lesser team due to injuries. KD easily out played giannis. Even then if brown or harris didnt brick wide open layups and jumpshots the nets wouldve closed it in 5/6.

Yes giannis had a great, even all time finals. But who was he playing against old cp3 and young booker/ayton? KD wouldve done the same. Giannis didnt have that showing when facing another top 3 player in KD.

I would put giannis at #2 or 3 best player though.

You cant say oh giannis led the bucks. to a better record and a chip- thus automatically making him better, no context.

Nets were treating the regular season as injury rehab, and major injuries to the nets and lakers allowed for the bucks and suns path (though iffy on lakers).
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 44,748
And1: 5,006
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Wed Sep 8, 2021 10:55 am

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:KD.

Winning a title does not make you the “best”. LeBron was the undisputed best player for the last decade. No matter which team won the title.
I will gladly take Giannis. He has proven himself and deserves his respect.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
LesGrossman
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,609
And1: 3,782
Joined: Mar 24, 2014

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#15 » by LesGrossman » Wed Sep 8, 2021 11:27 am

This is a ridiculous thread and i love Giannis, but KD is head and shoulders above everyone. To say he has never achieved anything, or was never considered to be the best is just a display of casualism (and lets ignore he was the league MVP in 2014...). He literally outplayed Giannis in their head to head match. Guys using team results to assess the ranking of individual players? Sigh
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
User avatar
GSWFan1994
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,591
And1: 2,195
Joined: Oct 31, 2006
 

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#16 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 11:35 am

More fuel to quench Giannis' thirst.
Packbuckman
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,263
And1: 500
Joined: Oct 02, 2019
     

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#17 » by Packbuckman » Wed Sep 8, 2021 11:49 am

art_tatum wrote:How is KD losing? They literally just went head to head in the playoffs with KD having the lesser team due to injuries. KD easily out played giannis. Even then if brown or harris didnt brick wide open layups and jumpshots the nets wouldve closed it in 5/6.

Yes giannis had a great, even all time finals. But who was he playing against old cp3 and young booker/ayton? KD wouldve done the same. Giannis didnt have that showing when facing another top 3 player in KD.

I would put giannis at #2 or 3 best player though.

You cant say oh giannis led the bucks. to a better record and a chip- thus automatically making him better, no context.

Nets were treating the regular season as injury rehab, and major injuries to the nets and lakers allowed for the bucks and suns path (though iffy on lakers).


Do you realize that Giannis and the bucks won the title with the lowest 3 pt % ever as a team after shooting the 4th best during the season. Giannis played just as good as KD did in that series if Bud would have stopped jacking up all those 3’s that series wouldn’t have even gone 7.
Karate Diop
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,745
And1: 5,092
Joined: May 19, 2017
 

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#18 » by Karate Diop » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:12 pm

If I need a player to win me a game against a finals caliber / upper echelon team I'd take KD pretty easily. But to carry a team for an entire season the answer is Giannis. KD needs more rest at his age / post injury and Giannis' weaknesses aren't as problematic during the part of the season when most teams are just treading water...
cool93
Veteran
Posts: 2,787
And1: 1,762
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
 

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#19 » by cool93 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:17 pm

Durant is the best player in the league right now

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 39,002
And1: 15,838
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#20 » by AussieBuck » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:41 pm

Karate Diop wrote:If I need a player to win me a game against a finals caliber / upper echelon team I'd take KD pretty easily. But to carry a team for an entire season the answer is Giannis. KD needs more rest at his age / post injury and Giannis' weaknesses aren't as problematic during the part of the season when most teams are just treading water...

Durant's had a decade of MVP calibre lead guards and still only won once he found a 73 win team. Giannis won a title the first year he upgraded from Eric Bledsoe. There are levels to this and Durant isn't on this level.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.


emunney wrote:St. Brandon Jennings, Patron Saint of Unconventionally Kept Promises

Return to The General Board