Steph's 2nd best basketball ability?

Moderators: jamaalstar21, -Sammy-, infinite11285, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

AdriLaker
Sophomore
Posts: 195
And1: 166
Joined: Jul 05, 2019
Location: Spain
   

Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#1 » by AdriLaker » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:55 am

We all know he's the best shooter ever, but he can't be an all time great doing only that...soooo...what's his 2nd/3rd/4th...ability/es? What other attributes he excedes by far most of the others?

i wanna know your thoughts
User avatar
mihail_petkov
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,430
And1: 1,401
Joined: Jun 23, 2011

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#2 » by mihail_petkov » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:00 pm

1. Shooting
2. Moving off the ball
3. Dribbling
4. Conditioning while moving off the ball

He is arguably the GOAT offensive player because of the rare combination of being elite at all of them plus being a good passer for his height.
User avatar
SUPERVILLAIN
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,688
And1: 5,069
Joined: Apr 08, 2020

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#3 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:06 pm

Extraordinary gravitational pull.

RoxSteady
Pro Prospect
Posts: 928
And1: 2,884
Joined: Jul 22, 2019
 

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#4 » by RoxSteady » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:08 pm

Convincing KD to be his beta dog.
User avatar
Lalouie
RealGM
Posts: 13,057
And1: 6,163
Joined: May 12, 2017

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#5 » by Lalouie » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:10 pm

shooting 3s
shooting ft's
shooting 3s in practice
shooting 3s from 30'
shooting 3s from 40'
shooting 3s from the exit tunnel
dribbling two basketballs simulchously
dribbling a basketball and ping pong ball simulchously
User avatar
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 14,553
And1: 19,478
Joined: Jul 29, 2014
Location: San Diego, California

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#6 » by Domejandro » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:20 pm

Stephen Curry is an all-time great ballhandler. He is in that GOAT-tier with players like Kyrie Irving and Chris Paul.
JN61
Head Coach
Posts: 6,265
And1: 4,955
Joined: Jan 07, 2018
 

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#7 » by JN61 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:24 pm

mihail_petkov wrote:1. Shooting
2. Moving off the ball
3. Dribbling
4. Conditioning while moving off the ball

He is arguably the GOAT offensive player because of the rare combination of being elite at all of them plus being a good passer for his height.

No. He might just be in top 10 but definitely not in top 5. Even from this era you have Durant and Lebron clearly above him and few others around in same category. Curry has 4 years above 120 ORTG, Lebron 4, Durant 7. Gap is even more glaring when you factor OWS and many other advanced stats. Then you have PGs that are clearly ahead of him like Robertson, Magic and Nash.
User avatar
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 18,589
And1: 12,949
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#8 » by Optms » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:42 pm

His handles are massively underrated because his shooting takes all the attention. He has had one of the top 2-3 handles in the game for half a decade aleady but it hardly gets mentioned.
Eric Bieniemy
Sophomore
Posts: 105
And1: 40
Joined: May 11, 2021

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#9 » by Eric Bieniemy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:50 pm

Is humility/amenability a skill? He has them in spades. His hand eye coordination is also through the roof as well.
rand
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,357
And1: 1,610
Joined: Jun 28, 2013

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#10 » by rand » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:00 pm

Ability to move without the ball. He's in the GOAT discussion in that skill as well.
Jta444
Freshman
Posts: 61
And1: 69
Joined: Feb 19, 2021
         

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#11 » by Jta444 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:06 pm

mihail_petkov wrote:1. Shooting
2. Moving off the ball
3. Dribbling
4. Conditioning while moving off the ball

He is arguably the GOAT offensive player because of the rare combination of being elite at all of them plus being a good passer for his height.


As much as I love Steph, he cant be the GOAT offensive player because he’s had multiple games in the playoffs where he was stopped. Being physical can throw him off his game. You cant say the same with Jordan.

To answer the OP, Steph’s finishing and driving to the rim is very underrated. It’s Kyrie-esque. Defenders are always close to him so he uses his ballhandling and quickness very effectively to drive to the rim and finish - his layups are right up there with Kyrie’s.
Roco14
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,538
And1: 3,421
Joined: Dec 09, 2015
 

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#12 » by Roco14 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:09 pm

He's actually an all-time great passer as well IMO. He just doesn't exploit/focus on that skill because he's, well - the greatest shooter of all time.
JustWin wrote:Masai when asked about the teams problems and if he plans on making a move:

"Uhhh, dis a tuff one guiys.. hehe"
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 18,545
And1: 13,926
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#13 » by 70sFan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:10 pm

Off-ball movement, he's one of the best ever at that as well.
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 18,545
And1: 13,926
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#14 » by 70sFan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:11 pm

Optms wrote:His handles are massively underrated because his shooting takes all the attention. He has had one of the top 2-3 handles in the game for half a decade aleady but it hardly gets mentioned.

I don't think Curry is even close to top 2-3 ball-handlers in the league. His handles are nice, but not very tight and a lot of clips we've seen on highlight reels is caused by his shooting ability - not handles by itself.

Handles should be judged on how well you can get to spots you want to be in. Curry isn't ATG dribbler in traffic.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 28,136
And1: 12,827
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#15 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:23 pm

JN61 wrote:
mihail_petkov wrote:1. Shooting
2. Moving off the ball
3. Dribbling
4. Conditioning while moving off the ball

He is arguably the GOAT offensive player because of the rare combination of being elite at all of them plus being a good passer for his height.

No. He might just be in top 10 but definitely not in top 5. Even from this era you have Durant and Lebron clearly above him and few others around in same category. Curry has 4 years above 120 ORTG, Lebron 4, Durant 7. Gap is even more glaring when you factor OWS and many other advanced stats. Then you have PGs that are clearly ahead of him like Robertson, Magic and Nash.


2014 - ORPM 7.79 second best player (KD) 6.17
2015 - 11.41 vs second place Westbrook 8.80
2016 - 12.03 second place westbrook 7.29
2017 - 9.25 second place 7.89
2018 - 9.09 second place 6.38
2019 - 8.58 second 6.33
2021 - 7.08 second 4.63

KD was on Curry's freaking team and was clearly the weaker overall offensive player, he was the better iso scorer, not the better offensive player. If anyone would have a case it's Harden not KD.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 28,136
And1: 12,827
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#16 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:24 pm

70sFan wrote:
Optms wrote:His handles are massively underrated because his shooting takes all the attention. He has had one of the top 2-3 handles in the game for half a decade aleady but it hardly gets mentioned.

I don't think Curry is even close to top 2-3 ball-handlers in the league. His handles are nice, but not very tight and a lot of clips we've seen on highlight reels is caused by his shooting ability - not handles by itself.

Handles should be judged on how well you can get to spots you want to be in. Curry isn't ATG dribbler in traffic.


Curry's handle is pretty darn awesome...he's also insanely sloppy and takes absurd risks often for no logical reasons.
Mogul
Junior
Posts: 418
And1: 266
Joined: Nov 15, 2014
 

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#17 » by Mogul » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:31 pm

His anticipation and instincts, defensively. His ability to get takeaways makes him a defensive asset despite not being able to guard anyone.
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 18,545
And1: 13,926
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#18 » by 70sFan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:32 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
Optms wrote:His handles are massively underrated because his shooting takes all the attention. He has had one of the top 2-3 handles in the game for half a decade aleady but it hardly gets mentioned.

I don't think Curry is even close to top 2-3 ball-handlers in the league. His handles are nice, but not very tight and a lot of clips we've seen on highlight reels is caused by his shooting ability - not handles by itself.

Handles should be judged on how well you can get to spots you want to be in. Curry isn't ATG dribbler in traffic.


Curry's handle is pretty darn awesome...he's also insanely sloppy and takes absurd risks often for no logical reasons.

I didn't say they are bad, but calling his top 2-3 ball-handler for half a decade is a massive overstatement. Besides, you can't be on that level and be "sloppy" at the same time.
User avatar
DroseReturnChi
Head Coach
Posts: 6,402
And1: 1,810
Joined: Feb 12, 2012
   

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#19 » by DroseReturnChi » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:32 pm

he has 0 ability other than shooting.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
User avatar
Duffman100
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 27,359
And1: 36,100
Joined: Jun 27, 2002
   

Re: Steph's 2nd best basketball ability? 

Post#20 » by Duffman100 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:34 pm

I'll go ball handling. Next to Kyrie, he might be the best ball handler I've seen.

Return to The General Board


cron