Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Do They get into the hall of Fame if they didn't spend their whole careers on a contender?

Yes
49%
No
29%
50/50
22%

Total votes: 134

Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Re: Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. 

Post#81 » by Slim Charlez » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:09 pm

Bornstellar wrote:Conley, Holiday, and Porter don't even belong in the same sentence as Tony Parker. :lol:

This thread is pointless because what players really get into the HOF spending their entire career on bottom dwellers or playing for non-contenders? A huge part of the HOF is team success, and given that a lot of NBA awards like the all-star game are predicated on team success as well, this is a weird question to even ask.

I guess anyone could've been an all star playing next to Tim and coached by Pop. Conley and Holiday would've been MVP candidates too apparently.

His speed and finishing ability is all because of Pop.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#82 » by Danny1616 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:10 pm

Parker I'm not so sure.

Ginobili in my opinion would have been a perennial all-star and a top 10-15 player had he not been on the Spurs. He's one of the most talented guys ever who could go toe to toe with guys like Kobe in his prime, but so unselfish he was willing to take a very reduced role to win championships.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach

Post#83 » by Slim Charlez » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:11 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:"Absolutely disrespectful" to compare prime Terry Porter to Tony Parker? You guys can disagree but stop it with the hyperbole. Porter would have absolutely made All-NBA and multiple more All-Star games had the league not been absolutely loaded with All-NBA/HoF caliber PG's from 1988-1993 (Stockton, Price, Magic, KJ, Isiah Thomas). Know your history.

Maybe not Porter but Conley and Holiday??? laughable. Just admit you hardly watched Parker in his prime and move on.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,699

Post#84 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:21 pm

I'm not interested in being lectured about "not watching" games given how long I've been an NBA fan and how many times I've watched Parker and that Spurs core in the playoffs. I've given my reasoning. Maybe just admit that you're biased as a Spurs fan and move along.

:dontknow:
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach

Post#85 » by Slim Charlez » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:33 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I'm not interested in being lectured about "not watching" games given how long I've been an NBA fan and how many times I've watched Parker and that Spurs core in the playoffs. I've given my reasoning. Maybe just admit that you're biased as a Spurs fan and move along.

:dontknow:

I've seen more than enough of him to know he's definitely better than guys like Conley and Holiday
AMW27
Pro Prospect
And1: 243

Post#86 » by AMW27 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:49 pm

If Parker and Ginobili were as good as some people say then Duncan should have retired winning more than what he did. I to me they're not all time great players like some like to describe them.

If Parker does get in the Hall of Fame while not playing for the Spurs, I don't believe it will be a for sure lock.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach

Post#87 » by Slim Charlez » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:52 pm

AMW27 wrote:If Parker and Ginobili were as good as some people say then Duncan should have retired winning more than what he did. I to me they're not all time great players like some like to describe them.

If Parker does get in the Hall of Fame while not playing for the Spurs, I don't believe it will be a for sure lock.

How many other big threes won 4 titles spread out over 11 years while winning 50 games + every year? I'll wait.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,530

Post#88 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:17 pm

AMW27 wrote:If Parker and Ginobili were as good as some people say then Duncan should have retired winning more than what he did. I to me they're not all time great players like some like to describe them.

He retired the most titles for a player who wasn't Michael Jordan or on the two premier franchises in the league. Winning 5 titles in a small market might be in terms of "rings" as the greatest accomplishment post merger.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#89 » by The_Hater » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:36 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:

He retired the most titles for a player who wasn't Michael Jordan or on the two premier franchises in the league. Winning 5 titles in a small market might be in terms of "rings" as the greatest accomplishment post merger.

Plus Duncan won those 5 titles over a 14-15 year span. We haven’t seen that before either
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,530

Post#90 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:08 am

The_Hater wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Plus Duncan won those 5 titles over a 14-15 year span. We haven’t seen that before either

yeah, the crazy thing about dominance is that so many people don't grasp that dominance comes from the 7th 8th 9th 10th man guys. It's confusing, but it's amazing how that matters. The bulls with Jordan did it so much. Obviously nearly all great teams had bench guys. The thing is, it's HARD to get those guys. I know the spurs got the rep as a destination team with FInley and Nic...but after that? The didn't land that many ring chasers really. Not given the length of their careers, and it's crazy really given how long they were a contender.
maradro
Senior
And1: 359

Post#91 » by maradro » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:44 am

the thing is the team outside the big 3 was often very weak, especially from 08 onwards when bowen lost a step; the teams that won were the ones with good support. But even when they were winning titles they had players like francisco elson and fabricio oberto getting important minutes. they eventually hit gold with danny green off the d league, drafted hill and turned him into kawhi, and got back into contention. between age and rs+ about 2 playoff series every year + international play, it becomes more rare to have all 3 healthy at the same time. techincally parker and manu never played with peak duncan, he was already on one leg when they arrived (though still good enough to be the teams best player for another 5 years and an excellent 2nd-3rd banana for another 9).

also there was a thread recently i didnt post in questioning why they didnt win more or repeat, well its an unpopular answer but at least in part its pop. 2004, phil jackson adjusted to tony parker killing them inside and forced hedo turkoglu to beat them, pop had manu sitting in the corner. 06, spurs played big all season then went small vs dallas and got killed by devin harris and josh howard. 08, let peja kill the spurs until finally adjusting, team ran out of gas after 7 game battle. 11, sat manu out of game 1, lost HCA and the series. 12, outcoached by scott brooks. 13, sat duncan and didnt foul. 15 outcoached by doc's high double screen, abused hack a jordan.
Pop has great leadership and management qualities but gameplans, adjustments and so on there's many coaches id take over him, people will say he evolved well i think he that happened because manu and tony were pushing him.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,134

Post#92 » by Hellcrooner » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:24 am

the real question is
imagine that duncan flies to orlando
but with some moves and trading spurs around 2007 have THIS line up.

Parker, Manu, stojakovic, Pau G, Marc G

where does pop lead that?
at87on
Rookie
And1: 348

Re: Tony Parker and Manu Ginoboli. 

Post#93 » by at87on » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:32 pm

AdagioPace wrote:Manu's achievements with Virtus Bologna and Argentina would be too much to ignore even if he played for a **** team. I think he would also manage to get a couple all-stars appearances.

Parker has no business being mentioned in these kind of hypotheticals

This is 100% accurate.

Parker is irrelevant without Duncan, Pop & Spurs.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,544

Post#94 » by Jcity08 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:40 pm

Manu yes, Parker not sure.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,355

Post#95 » by CIN-C-STAR » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:50 pm

at87on wrote:
AdagioPace wrote:Manu's achievements with Virtus Bologna and Argentina would be too much to ignore even if he played for a **** team. I think he would also manage to get a couple all-stars appearances.

This is 100% accurate.

He reitred top-50 all time in points, and top-20 all time in assists.
Doubt that changes much on another team as he was simply an excellent PnR guard, and even without the team accomplishments those #s combined with his international play is easily enough to get into the HoF.
So I'd say pretty relevant, actually.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach

Post#96 » by Slim Charlez » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:20 pm

at87on wrote:

This is 100% accurate.

Duncan and Pop gave Parker his speed and finishing ability
magicsanta
Rookie
And1: 77

Post#97 » by magicsanta » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:36 pm

AMW27 wrote:Both Parker and Ginoboli are both most likely a lock for the hall of Fame. If both of them didn't play their entire careers on a title contender do you believe the would be considered hall of famers now?

For me if they did get in it wouldn't have been an automatic lock for them.

Want to hear everyone's opinion.

not sure about Parker but Ginobili could have been the centerpiece of a contender during his prime; Pop and him were just not focused on getting him the best possible numbers or stardom, they were all team results oriented, which is a big reason why they were so effective with a smaller budget than their competitors
A lonesome morning
at87on
Rookie
And1: 348

Post#98 » by at87on » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:37 pm

Slim Charlez wrote:
at87on wrote:

This is 100% accurate.

There are many players with speed and finishing ability at the local Y. Playing under Pop and with Duncan allowed Parker to make all those mistakes as a young player, develop his mid-range shot and become an NBA player.

In any other situations, he would have been out of the league.

He was/is a terrible defender, poor playmaker or was a terrible shooter. He eventually developed a decent mid-range game.

The luxury of playing in that team allowed him to use his limited "skills" at that time (speed and finish).
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,231

Post#99 » by Childs » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:56 pm

I just Brent Barry introduces Parker during his acceptance speech.

Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach

Post#100 » by Slim Charlez » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:58 pm

at87on wrote:
Slim Charlez wrote:
at87on wrote:
This is 100% accurate.

There are many players with speed and finishing ability at the local Y. Playing under Pop and with Duncan allowed Parker to make all those mistakes as a young player, develop his mid-range shot and become an NBA player.

In any other situations, he would have been out of the league.

He was/is a terrible defender, poor playmaker or was a terrible shooter. He eventually developed a decent mid-range game.

The luxury of playing in that team allowed him to use his limited "skills" at that time (speed and finish).

Why didn't Antonio Daniels, Beno Udrih, Speedy Claxton, Jason Hart, Patty Mills, Corey Joseph or any other mediocre PG who backed him up become a perennial all star and MVP candidate?

Comparing him to guys at Y :lol: Give me a break

Tell me you don't know **** about basketball without telling me you don't know **** about basketball :lol:

Return to The General Board