Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated?

Moderators: jamaalstar21, -Sammy-, infinite11285, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

User avatar
shotsquatch
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,314
And1: 2,374
Joined: Oct 02, 2020
   

Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#1 » by shotsquatch » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:34 am

Injuries derailed DeMarcus' prime. He would be a top three center right now with Embiid and Jokic had things gone a little differently.
Statlanta
General Manager
Posts: 7,603
And1: 5,369
Joined: Mar 06, 2016

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#2 » by Statlanta » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:40 am

No, but we didn't get to see him on good teams when he was productive.

Now he'll be known in the history books as a cautionary tale against the supermax and a serial complainer who always got injured.

He won't be remembered much as an NBA Champion with the Lakers or a member of the Hamptons 5 with the Warriors or a twin towers with AD, or one of the best Sacramento Kings in franchise history.
Pachinko_ wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Serious question, what's the purpose of this thread?

Exactly the same as every other thread: talk hoops instead of working.
User avatar
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 31,062
And1: 21,558
Joined: Aug 17, 2009
 

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#3 » by HomoSapien » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:41 am

I don't think underrated is the right word. We all know how talented he was. The fact is, injuries derailed his career by the age of 27 and when he was healthy he never made the playoffs as the man. Hard to rate someone like that. It's a **** situation all around.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Bornstellar
Analyst
Posts: 3,250
And1: 7,245
Joined: Mar 05, 2018
 

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#4 » by Bornstellar » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:42 am

No. If he was really as good as people thought he was he'd have had the Kings fighting for the playoffs instead of in the lottery every season
User avatar
SUPERVILLAIN
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,688
And1: 5,068
Joined: Apr 08, 2020

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#5 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:42 am

Prime Cousins (albeit only for a very short period of time) was a legit top 10 calibre player. He was once an MVP candidate.

Read on Twitter
?

Tor_Raps
RealGM
Posts: 10,875
And1: 15,697
Joined: Oct 14, 2018

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#6 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:46 am

I was really a big fan of his. He would have been a perfect number 2 to a superstar wing in his prime.
User avatar
shotsquatch
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,314
And1: 2,374
Joined: Oct 02, 2020
   

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#7 » by shotsquatch » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:52 am

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Prime Cousins (albeit only for a very short period of time) was a legit top 10 calibre player. He was once an MVP candidate.

Read on Twitter
?


This season was wild. Him and AD looked amazing for a few stretches back then.
User avatar
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
Posts: 11,075
And1: 16,723
Joined: Sep 20, 2018
 

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#8 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:00 am

Cousins was one of the most overrated players of his generation. Ball-dominant, inefficient*, toxic, unreliable. He ticked most of the boxes for a net negative player as the face of your franchise.

The Pelicans were actually better with him off the floor (-0.7), then better with him injured (62.9 vs 56.3 WIN%), and they made their playoff run without him.

It's no coincidence he had never made the playoffs until he became a minimum player for the Warriors coming off major injury.

Boogie was the epitome of a losing player and a good-stats, bad-team guy. With the antics as a bonus. Yugh.

*Right around average in adjusted TS% for most of his career, which is actually quite awful for a center.
Image
WarriorGM
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,439
And1: 2,130
Joined: Aug 19, 2017

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#9 » by WarriorGM » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:31 am

Another example where winning or the lack thereof clues you in to the real state of affairs far faster than interpreting other stats. You can probably arrive at the same conclusion after looking at the other numbers but some of them might mislead you first.
Michael Doleac
Ballboy
Posts: 49
And1: 116
Joined: Oct 12, 2020

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#10 » by Michael Doleac » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:50 am

During my coaching days Booger Cousins was putting up some of the best numbers of his career. But he never struck fear into the heart of his opponents like some of the top players do/did.

There were guys out there that when we played them, our guys would literally not leave the hotel the night before a game. They would want to be well rested otherwise you risked getting blown out and humiliated.

Dude’s would be out all night and get back to the hotel at 9 in the morning the day of facing Cousins. Not a worry in the world.
User avatar
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
Posts: 14,746
And1: 12,717
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#11 » by Winsome Gerbil » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:01 am

WarriorGM wrote:Another example where winning or the lack thereof clues you in to the real state of affairs far faster than interpreting other stats. You can probably arrive at the same conclusion after looking at the other numbers but some of them might mislead you first.

Yes, another example where being a casual fan will let you confirm your biases toward an individual player based on TEAM stats. Its the pride that is taken in analyzing basketball at the level of a granny knitting on the porch that always gets me.

You know a sport where you can tell everything you need to know about an individual by their results? Tennis.
Young_Fashioned
Sophomore
Posts: 173
And1: 149
Joined: Jul 08, 2019
 

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#12 » by Young_Fashioned » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:08 am

shotsquatch wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Prime Cousins (albeit only for a very short period of time) was a legit top 10 calibre player. He was once an MVP candidate.

Read on Twitter
?


This season was wild. Him and AD looked amazing for a few stretches back then.


personally believed the pelicans would've knocked off the warriors in the 1st round that year if cousins hadn't got injured. him and AD were an absolute force together, and they had jrue holiday and rondo on the perimeter
User avatar
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
Posts: 11,075
And1: 16,723
Joined: Sep 20, 2018
 

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#13 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:14 am

Young_Fashioned wrote:
shotsquatch wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Prime Cousins (albeit only for a very short period of time) was a legit top 10 calibre player. He was once an MVP candidate.

Read on Twitter
?


This season was wild. Him and AD looked amazing for a few stretches back then.


personally believed the pelicans would've knocked off the warriors in the 1st round that year if cousins hadn't got injured. him and AD were an absolute force together, and they had jrue holiday and rondo on the perimeter

The Pelicans were better with Cousins off the floor, and so was AD. The numbers unequivocally prove this.
Image
WarriorGM
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,439
And1: 2,130
Joined: Aug 19, 2017

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#14 » by WarriorGM » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:21 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:Another example where winning or the lack thereof clues you in to the real state of affairs far faster than interpreting other stats. You can probably arrive at the same conclusion after looking at the other numbers but some of them might mislead you first.

Yes, another example where being a casual fan will let you confirm your biases toward an individual player based on TEAM stats. Its the pride that is taken in analyzing basketball at the level of a granny knitting on the porch that always gets me.

You know a sport where you can tell everything you need to know about an individual by their results? Tennis.


You've been high on Cousins a long time. When do you expect him to actually translate his great individual stats to something that wins a team something? A player's influence on a team can best be deduced from the team's winning.
User avatar
God Squad
General Manager
Posts: 8,051
And1: 4,445
Joined: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Toronto
 

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#15 » by God Squad » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:40 am

Underachiever IMHO, He had tremendous talent though.
Image
User avatar
Lalouie
RealGM
Posts: 13,057
And1: 6,163
Joined: May 12, 2017

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#16 » by Lalouie » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:16 am

shotsquatch wrote:Injuries derailed DeMarcus' prime. He would be a top three center right now with Embiid and Jokic had things gone a little differently.


but the reality is he hasn't been healthy, therefore your subject line is wrong...he is NOT underrated nor will he be remembered. none of the sac teams he was on finished anywhere. they were the same with and without him - just a hi20s/30win team. thereafter he was just filler. tried to hitch a ride on contender teams that again,,,went nowhere. all in all he never moved the needle for anyone and no one saw any value to keep him for more than just 1yr

he is exactly what he is, a joel embiid who couldn't move a 30win sac team. a petulent player who created team dysfunction. even calipari couldn't handle him and they had run ins. a uk team with cousins, bledsoe, wall. and patterson and they couldn't even make the FF. he had a bad rep out of college and he maintained that rep
BelgradeNugget
Pro Prospect
Posts: 859
And1: 842
Joined: Jun 16, 2018
 

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#17 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:28 am

One of the most overrated players in the last decade. If you want to know what empty stats means look at him. As the man player with Kings never won more than 33 games. Then goes to NOP to play with AD and Jrue, Rondo... and they were fighting for championship... home court... well no they were fighting for playoff spot until the last week of RS. They were better after his injurie when they replaced him with Mirotic. Never played for team, it was always machup for him. Me against the other center, never us against them. You can dribble, shoot and jump as good as you want if you have strong character issues in team sport you can have really big negative impact.
Stan
Pro Prospect
Posts: 911
And1: 1,432
Joined: Oct 11, 2019

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#18 » by Stan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:46 am

Someone who imo was never nearly as good as his numbers would indicate
sikma42
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,906
And1: 3,096
Joined: Nov 23, 2011

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#19 » by sikma42 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:54 pm

Extremely talented player that was never put in a good situation. He gets drafted to the another team and we are gushing over his skill set. Kings were an extremely dysfunctional franchise and not many players could turn it around.

I've always thought his game would shine in the playoffs. But just never got a chance to see it pre-injury.
User avatar
PD28
Head Coach
Posts: 6,876
And1: 11,740
Joined: Jan 04, 2013
 

Re: Is DeMarcus Cousins Underrated? 

Post#20 » by PD28 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:10 pm

His career would be very different if he was drafted by a different franchise that's for sure.
Image

Return to The General Board