Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded

Moderators: jamaalstar21, -Sammy-, infinite11285, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

User avatar
whitehops
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,298
And1: 4,026
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
     

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#121 » by whitehops » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:31 am

the pistons and blake griffin were "working on a trade" too before they bought him out.

unless the rockets want to pony up draft picks and/or take on other bad contracts they are almost 100% going to buy john wall out, it's just a matter of time.
User avatar
Antinomy
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,255
And1: 4,844
Joined: Mar 18, 2017
 

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#122 » by Antinomy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:34 am

If I were the Lakers, I’d have gambled on Wall instead of Westbrook.

Imo, you know Westbrook isn’t gonna work with Lebron & Davis on the floor. Atleast Wall might surprise you.
seren
RealGM
Posts: 23,382
And1: 3,298
Joined: Jul 21, 2002

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#123 » by seren » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:36 am

Dr Aki wrote:
seren wrote:Maybe for Westbrook once he implodes in LA


Why would LA trade Westbrook for a more injured, smaller, less rebound capable version of Westbrook?

Don't @me Rox fans


Not now. Once Westbrook implodes as I said and Lakers have nowhere to go. More like a desperation move than anything
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 43,892
And1: 25,010
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#124 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:47 am

This is performative. John Wall isn't tradable without the Rockets attaching a player like Green, which they won't do.

So when you get to this point, *working together* means telling the agent to go out and find a palatable deal, which really doesn't exist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
Richard4444
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,272
And1: 3,076
Joined: Dec 28, 2018
Location: São Paulo, Brasil
   

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#125 » by Richard4444 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:58 am

The trade is possible (without giving assets) if the other team:
a) is or want to be a contender now;
b) Wall would be an upgrade to the current starting PG or possibly be a competent combo guard/reserve PG;
c) have room or is not too much worried about spending;
d) have 35,45M (80% of current 44.3M Walls contract) in contracts on nonessential players.
e) The trade would only be completed by December 15th if evolve recently signed players.

Some candidates that make some sense:
Cavs: Love + Osman (or Rubio)
Wizards: Bertans + KCP + Harrel (or Byrant): Bertans is a bad contract. Harrel and Byrant are expiring and there is a Center logjam in DC.
Clippers: Bledsoe + Kennard + Ibaka or Bledsoe + Kennard + Winslow + GIles. It makes sense only if Bledsoe and Ibaka be washed beyond any doubt.
Dallas: Tim + Powell + WCS. Only if Tim shooting drops from a cliff...
Indiana: Lamb + Warrem + Mccornell + Craig (or Justin Holiday). Warren is an injuried expiring
Knicks: Fournier + Knox + Taj + Kemba (or Rose or Noel Or Burks). Assuming Kemba or Rose are washed and Grimes can get Fournier minutes.
Kings: Buddy + Tristan + Harkless (Davis or Len).
CBA
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,334
And1: 355
Joined: Jul 01, 2011

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#126 » by CBA » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:01 am

jbk1234 wrote:This is performative. John Wall isn't tradable without the Rockets attaching a player like Green, which they won't do.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app


Huh? He was literally just traded last year with a protected first when he had even less value.
User avatar
Dr Aki
RealGM
Posts: 30,955
And1: 21,804
Joined: Mar 03, 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
   

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#127 » by Dr Aki » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:10 am

seren wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
seren wrote:Maybe for Westbrook once he implodes in LA


Why would LA trade Westbrook for a more injured, smaller, less rebound capable version of Westbrook?

Don't @me Rox fans


Not now. Once Westbrook implodes as I said and Lakers have nowhere to go. More like a desperation move than anything


Yes, but why would LA target Wall for a Westbrook replacement instead of going in other directions?

How desperate do you think the Lakers are going to get in order to look at Wall and think it's a good idea?
Image
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 13,887
And1: 13,628
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#128 » by Pointgod » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:22 am

jbk1234 wrote:This is performative. John Wall isn't tradable without the Rockets attaching a player like Green, which they won't do.

So when you get to this point, *working together* means telling the agent to go out and find a palatable deal, which really doesn't exist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app


Houston has a bunch end of the draft first round picks from the Nets and a Milwaukee pick that they can attach to move Wall’s contract. It just depends on how much they’re willing to give up and what they’re looking to take back. There will be teams that will take on the salary for a pick or two. No way would they need to involve Green.
Tottery
Freshman
Posts: 88
And1: 53
Joined: Jul 29, 2019

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#129 » by Tottery » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 am

Antinomy wrote:If I were the Lakers, I’d have gambled on Wall instead of Westbrook.

Imo, you know Westbrook isn’t gonna work with Lebron & Davis on the floor. Atleast Wall might surprise you.


Maybe I'm naive, but I think it will work out. Might be rough early in the season, but they strike me as the type of players that are hell bent on proving people wrong.

Personally, I think this is an opportunity to get rid on Simmons.
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 32,347
And1: 32,418
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#130 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:33 am

Catchall wrote:Houston will need to attach 2 FRPs, one for each year of JW's contract, or they'll have to take back some bad money.


Lol. The rockets are not going to send out picks to move off wall! They ARE looking to RECEIVE picks back and take even deader salary. The problem is that doesn’t yet exist. So wall will sit all year ensuring the rockets finish dead last. Or to the break you would think.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 43,892
And1: 25,010
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#131 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:34 am

CBA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:This is performative. John Wall isn't tradable without the Rockets attaching a player like Green, which they won't do.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app


Huh? He was literally just traded last year with a protected first when he had even less value.
For what was, at the time, another untradable contract.

Look, teams do dumb things. The Lakers just did, and before that, the Rockets did by giving up assets for Westbrook.

But, eventually the music stops and you either have a chair, or you're left standing. Any team trading for Wall is going to be left standing.

The narrative was that OKC could rehab anyone's value, but they didn't even try with Kemba, probably because they realized shot knees don't get better. They bought him out and Wall is saying he won't accept a buyout. Schroder just signed a $6M deal. Let's bump Wall's market up to $10M per just to avoid the who's better argument. That $70M in dead cap.

This is before you get to intangibles like him being toxic in the locker room for most of his career, not appreciating the fact that he lost a step, not wanting to play for a rebuilding team, and not wanting to come off the bench.

I mean in terms of net contributions, read all facets of the game, how many starting guards is he better than?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 34,156
And1: 10,564
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#132 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:35 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Catchall wrote:Houston will need to attach 2 FRPs, one for each year of JW's contract, or they'll have to take back some bad money.


Lol. The rockets are not going to send out picks to move off wall! They ARE looking to RECEIVE picks back and take even deader salary. The problem is that doesn’t yet exist. So wall will sit all year ensuring the rockets finish dead last. Or to the break you would think.

Fredditti when has to pay his opt in contract :lol:
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 34,156
And1: 10,564
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#133 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:36 am

jbk1234 wrote:
CBA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:This is performative. John Wall isn't tradable without the Rockets attaching a player like Green, which they won't do.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app


Huh? He was literally just traded last year with a protected first when he had even less value.
For what was, at the time, another untradable contract.

Look, teams do dumb things. The Lakers just did, and before that, the Rockets did by giving up assets for Westbrook.

But, eventually the music stops and you either have a chair, or you're left standing. Any team trading for Wall is going to be left standing.

The narrative was that OKC could rehab anyone's value, but they didn't even try with Kemba, probably because they realized shot knees don't get better. They bought him out and Wall is saying he won't accept a buyout. Schroder just signed a $6M deal. Let's bump Wall's market up to $10M per just to avoid the who's better argument. That $70M in dead cap.

This is before you get to intangibles like him being toxic in the locker room for most of his career, not appreciating the fact that he lost a step, not wanting to play for a rebuilding team, and not wanting to come off the bench.

I mean in terms of net contributions, how many starters is he better than?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Lakers trading trash for all star is dumb … who has opt out clause if doesn’t work out ..
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Starter
Posts: 2,465
And1: 726
Joined: Dec 08, 2011
Location: Formerly known as GilArenas88

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#134 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:09 am

ocelot17 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
HanzGruber wrote:Wizards gm deserves an award for getting out of that


And then got out of Russ' too. Back to back offseasons :lol:


Meh. Rockets traded the wizards first round pick for Alperen Sengun, who’s going to be a star.

What did the wizards get for Westbrook? Nothing, just a couple of overpaid role players.


He deserves a lot worse.
shangrila
RealGM
Posts: 10,289
And1: 3,514
Joined: Dec 21, 2009
Location: Land of Aus
 

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#135 » by shangrila » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:23 am

I just don't see how any competent FO would be willing to take on that money. I get that Houston did the original deal to move Westbrook and got a pick for the trouble, that's nice. But everyone else?

He easily had one of his worst seasons his entire career last year. And I get that coming off his injury he wasn't going to be perfect but you've got to question whether he can ever get back to where he was before (and whether even THAT was worth the money he's going to be making).

Just as an example, he had a negative WS/48 (-0.007). For reference, an average player would grade out at .1, with "stars" typically above .2. So last season he was basically at a G League level, making 40+mil.

Maybe someone desperate ponies up to get him but I have to imagine this turns into a buyout with the only question being how much Wall is willing to give back to make it happen.
SA37
General Manager
Posts: 9,216
And1: 1,574
Joined: Sep 10, 2002
Location: Basking in the Glory
 

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#136 » by SA37 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:39 am

jbk1234 wrote:
CBA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:This is performative. John Wall isn't tradable without the Rockets attaching a player like Green, which they won't do.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app


Huh? He was literally just traded last year with a protected first when he had even less value.
For what was, at the time, another untradable contract.

Look, teams do dumb things. The Lakers just did, and before that, the Rockets did by giving up assets for Westbrook.

But, eventually the music stops and you either have a chair, or you're left standing. Any team trading for Wall is going to be left standing.

The narrative was that OKC could rehab anyone's value, but they didn't even try with Kemba, probably because they realized shot knees don't get better. They bought him out and Wall is saying he won't accept a buyout. Schroder just signed a $6M deal. Let's bump Wall's market up to $10M per just to avoid the who's better argument. That $70M in dead cap.

This is before you get to intangibles like him being toxic in the locker room for most of his career, not appreciating the fact that he lost a step, not wanting to play for a rebuilding team, and not wanting to come off the bench.

I mean in terms of net contributions, read all facets of the game, how many starting guards is he better than?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app


I agree with all of this.

If Wall were a FA, he'd likely be signing a 1-year, vet min deal with someone or just simply be out of the league. It is really questionable whether or not he can contribute to a winning team, and betting $91M he will is just irresponsible.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 34,156
And1: 10,564
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#137 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:55 am

Antinomy wrote:If I were the Lakers, I’d have gambled on Wall instead of Westbrook.

Imo, you know Westbrook isn’t gonna work with Lebron & Davis on the floor. Atleast Wall might surprise you.

why would wall be better ?? He cant shoot. He can get to the rim, Uh we got that covered with Westbrook at more healthier age.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
Posts: 34,156
And1: 10,564
Joined: Jul 06, 2014
       

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#138 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:57 am

shangrila wrote:I just don't see how any competent FO would be willing to take on that money. I get that Houston did the original deal to move Westbrook and got a pick for the trouble, that's nice. But everyone else?

He easily had one of his worst seasons his entire career last year. And I get that coming off his injury he wasn't going to be perfect but you've got to question whether he can ever get back to where he was before (and whether even THAT was worth the money he's going to be making).

Just as an example, he had a negative WS/48 (-0.007). For reference, an average player would grade out at .1, with "stars" typically above .2. So last season he was basically at a G League level, making 40+mil.

Maybe someone desperate ponies up to get him but I have to imagine this turns into a buyout with the only question being how much Wall is willing to give back to make it happen.

nobody will go for him. he cant play and their not going buy him out. Hes going be deadest contract for next few years. Hes opting in.
User avatar
GrindCityHustle
Rookie
Posts: 1,217
And1: 1,127
Joined: May 05, 2019
 

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#139 » by GrindCityHustle » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:14 am

Only team that could take him really is Orlando for Gary Harris and Terrence Ross

Houston would have to throw in future 1sts im sure

Also saw on another site

Los Angeles receives: John Wall
Houston receives: Eric Bledsoe, Luke Kennard, filler salary

seems like that might work with Leonard down and Wall can still score.
Image
User avatar
John Murdoch
Head Coach
Posts: 6,979
And1: 5,111
Joined: Sep 16, 2013
         

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#140 » by John Murdoch » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:16 am

Antinomy wrote:If I were the Lakers, I’d have gambled on Wall instead of Westbrook.

Imo, you know Westbrook isn’t gonna work with Lebron & Davis on the floor. Atleast Wall might surprise you.


Suprise you with what another injury? Westy is another tier of player than Walls corpse
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.


Image

Return to The General Board