Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Re: Shams wall and rockets working together to be traded 

Post#41 » by Pharmcat » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:24 pm

Lakers should trade Westbrook for him
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,259

Post#42 » by TheGreenArrow » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:25 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:Either Clippers if they just dont want to throw the season due to KL’s injury or Philly who may have finally found a trade partner(screw what Morey’s asking for). Other than that I cant see any other team needing him right away or any rebuilding teams wanting him with that salary. I pray the Knicks dont do anything stupid though.

You guys need to give up the lol Knicks chic!!!!!

It’s really played out!!!!!!

Those days are over with the new regime(Leon Rose+Worldwide Wes)!!!!!
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Post#43 » by gp2015 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:26 pm

HanzGruber wrote:Wizards gm deserves an award for getting out of that

And Grunfeld deserves a spanking for giving Wall that contract.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
ocelot17
Starter
And1: 3,829

Post#44 » by ocelot17 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:27 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
HanzGruber wrote:Wizards gm deserves an award for getting out of that

And then got out of Russ' too. Back to back offseasons :lol:

Meh. Rockets traded the wizards first round pick for Alperen Sengun, who’s going to be a star.

What did the wizards get for Westbrook? Nothing, just a couple of overpaid role players.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,485

Post#45 » by Synciere » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:31 pm

Just looked up his stats. There was a year he shot 7% from 3. That can't be real...lol

Last year he shot 40% from the floor and 32% from 3. Need to see his TS% and time he's spent on the ball, but looking at the stats he's inefficient as opposed to being simply terrible. He could be in line for a bump in production another year off of his injury too. I know, I'm searching here.

92 million over the next two years. I don't know who's going to be able to take that on at this point.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,127

Post#46 » by moocow007 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:31 pm

goober wrote:I can’t see any team taking that contract on without receiving compensation. Are they Rockets willing to compensate to get rid of Wall?

I would expect the Rockets would be agreeable to taking back contracts for lesser players of similar size/length contracts (in total) if they can get some assets to make up for the difference in talent. Obviously also easier said than done but definitely easier to do than if they were looking for someone to take on that contract without the Rockets taking any back (0% chance of that happening). So are there any teams out there that have 2 or 3 contracts that get it close to what Wall is owed that could use him and is willing to give up some assets (debatable on quality)?
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#47 » by ROballer » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:33 pm

Rafael122 wrote:There's no way Fertitta would want any contracts longer than a year. That's allegedly the reason why he got Oladipo instead of LeVert.

It's too bad this is coming out now, something like Ibaka, Beverley and Rondo probably would have worked. That's what...$30 million in salary, so it would have been +11 million coming in. I'm sure they would have figured out a way.

They'll take Kennard if it comes to that. Getting Wall off the books.
Ibaka and Bledsoe can be easily bought out or shipped to another team. One is an expiring and the other one has two years on his deal. Even if you can't find a taker for Bledsoe, he's essentially on the books for this year only. In the summer he's an expiring and every team in the league are interested in those.

If they don't want to pay for a buyout but don't want Wall, they won't get a better deal than this. They can't keep him glued to the bench for two years and paying him to do nothing, come on now.

It makes a ton of sense for the Clippers as well. Neither of those 3 are irrepleaceble and Wall would provide a boost with Leonard out for most of the year.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

Post#48 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:34 pm

What are the rockets doing,,, why wouldn't you start this in June. If you want to ensure he can't be injured fine, but to sit the guy the entire time you are trying to trade him is just bad.

and if you did try in June and he was untradable...why make this public and sit him? Gross.
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,182

Post#49 » by Bologna Smasher » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:35 pm

Synciere wrote:Just looked up his stats. There was a year he shot 7% from 3. That can't be real...lol

Last year he shot 40% from the floor and 32% from 3. Need to see his TS% and time he's spent on the ball, but looking at the stats he's inefficient as opposed to being simply terrible. He could be in line for a bump in production another year off of his injury too. I know, I'm searching here.

92 million over the next two years. I don't know who's going to be able to take that on at this point.

I forgot all about that. :lol:

His jumper was pretty broken coming out of college. At least he and the coaching staff knew not to let him jack a bunch of them early on. If only someone like Josh Smith did the same thing...
Synciere
Head Coach

Post#50 » by Synciere » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:37 pm

Bologna Smasher wrote:
Synciere wrote:Just looked up his stats. There was a year he shot 7% from 3. That can't be real...lol

I forgot all about that. :lol:

His jumper was pretty broken coming out of college. At least he and the coaching staff knew not to let him jack a bunch of them early on. If only someone like Josh Smith did the same thing...

If Brett Brown and Doc Rivers forced Ben Simmons to take 1 three a game, I think 7% would be the over/under.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Post#51 » by Dan Z » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:42 pm

I just looked at his contract and it made me wonder about level of motivation he'll have to get back to being the player he once was. That's a lot of money guaranteed to him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/john-wall-6882/

I guess personal pride or love of the game could be enough to push him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he coasts the rest of the way.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#52 » by LofJ » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:43 pm

The Clippers are the only team that makes at least some sense AND have the willingness/ability to pay his contract.

If he gets traded to the 76'ers for Simmons though...

JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,555

Post#53 » by JimmyPlopper » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:44 pm

John Wall, Kevin Porter Jr., and 2022 unprotected Houston 1st to Chicago
Lonzo Ball, Zach Lavine, and Troy Brown Jr, Houston 2024 Top 10 Protected Pick, Houston 2023 Pick Swap to Philly
Ben Simmons to Houston
you can't kill me - i was born dead
Synciere
Head Coach

Post#54 » by Synciere » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:46 pm

Dan Z wrote:

I just looked at his contract and it made me wonder about level of motivation he'll have to get back to being the player he once was. That's a lot of money guaranteed to him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/john-wall-6882/

I guess personal pride or love of the game could be enough to push him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he coasts the rest of the way.

I've spent some time with some pros and know a few and most of them are just built different. Once that ball gets thrown in the air, PRIDE takes over. They all want to be the best that day. I would say something like 5% of get paid and don't care, but the rest??? Nah man, they're not about taking Ls. I don't know Wall, but from stories I've heard, there's just no way he doesn't care, otherwise why bother with the trade request?
Joshuan3
Senior
And1: 178

Post#55 » by Joshuan3 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:48 pm

He'd be a great fit on the Clippers but not for his current contract, maybe after a buyout
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,378

Post#56 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:51 pm

On the surface level, stats wise, he did an okay John Wall impression, averaging 20ppg and 7apg. But even the tiniest dig into his numbers revels how much he fell off last year. Least efficient year since his rookie season. Career high usage but near career lows in free throw rate and assist rate. Didn't get to the hoop very much and converted those shots (inside 3 feet) at a career low percentage. Wall has probably always been a little overrated due to his awesome athletic package. His biggest strengths have always been attacking in transition and being a drive and kick maestro. He also used to get to the line and knock those down well enough. He was sneaky awful last year. Defense wasn't good either.

Maybe he bounces back a bit more, but it always feels iffy saying that about a player on the wrong side of 30 (just turned 31). As everyone else has said, it's his contract that's the biggest problem. He's the 2nd highest-paid player in the NBA this year. I'm not sure he's better than Eric Bledsoe.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#57 » by dlts20 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:51 pm

Wall can still ball but has to be in the right situation. Silas doesn't demand that his players set picks. They all slip it so Wall never has an advantage and has to end up playing stressful iso ball. If he goes to a team where they set picks for him then I believe he can be all star caliber again
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,160

Post#58 » by jokeboy86 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:53 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:Either Clippers if they just dont want to throw the season due to KL’s injury or Philly who may have finally found a trade partner(screw what Morey’s asking for). Other than that I cant see any other team needing him right away or any rebuilding teams wanting him with that salary. I pray the Knicks dont do anything stupid though.

You guys need to give up the lol Knicks chic!!!!!

It’s really played out!!!!!!

Those days are over with the new regime(Leon Rose+Worldwide Wes)!!!!!

It's not so much the Knicks brass(except Dolan) I worry about it's the casual Knicks fans, talking heads, and NY media that get impatient and usually demand the Knicks get a recognizable name or star asap and usually the Knicks bend to their will. If the Knicks were to become like the late 00s/early 10s Hawks that would be leaps and bounds better than what they've been the past 20 something years but would that be enough for casual/star gazing Knicks fans and media. NY sports franchises are just judged differently.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#59 » by TheNewEra » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:54 pm

No point for the clippers to do this when they just traded for Bledsoe
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#60 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:03 pm

This is noise.

It will take at least 2 first rounders to move Wall. A rebuilding team like the Rockets would be insane to do that. Or I guess they could find an even worse contract to move him for (is that possible?) but that’s highly unlikely.

It’s either buy out, Wall sits out the next two years, or accepts a mentorship/backup role on the team. Those are the only plausible outcomes to this.

Return to The General Board