Who Are the NBA Equivalents of Ted Lasso Characters?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

SharpyShuffle
Junior
And1: 579

Re: Who Are the NBA Equivalents of Ted Lasso Characters? 

Post#21 » by SharpyShuffle » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:06 am

The show is pretty good, a lot more mature than I thought it would be. Both in its humour and in its content, with Ted very clearly compensating for trauma. And they even riff on the AI "practice" rant

Roy Kent is probably late-stage KG, like Nets KG. Old former legend, incredibly tough and sweary bastard, great leadership but washed on the pitch/court.

Rojas would be someone like a less talented Giannis, cheerful foreigner who loves the game and doesn't have the ego of most native stars.

The nba is full of Jamie Tart analogues lol, that 'selfish egomaniac scorer' is found in the nba more than any other sport. Maybe someone like Boogie Cousins - lots of talents, lots of points, but awful attitude and not a team player at all.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,856

Post#22 » by Dutchball97 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:32 am

Really liked season 1. As a lifelong soccer fan it was nice to see a US take on it that was both culturally pretty accurate and fun.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,211

Post#23 » by bisme37 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:05 pm

monopoman wrote:It's popular enough that Jason Sudeikas is going to be getting $1 million per episode in season 3. It might not be a hugely impactful show but it's probably the most successful show on Apple+

I also will point out if you buy a new Apple device they are offering a few months free of Apple+.

I prob wouldn't have gotten Apple TV without the free one year trial I got with an Apple purchase. But I'm glad I did because I love Ted Lasso! There are some other hidden gems on there too. And I'm excited for their big epic sci-fi series that's coming out in a few weeks. "Foundation" based on Isaac Asimov books. It looks awesome and I expect it will bring a lot of new users to Apple TV.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Post#24 » by zeebneeb » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:20 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
miamiheat319 wrote:That show definitely ain't as popular as you think op

There's some truth in this. It's on a new streaming service (Apple) that doesn't have a lot of subscribers, so the amount of buzz it's gotten is outsized compared to the size of its audience.

Don't fool yourself though. The show has a ton of Emmy nods, is really popular among pro athletes across sports, and despite being an American show, those in the UK who have seen it so far have been raving about it as well.

All this to say that if you've never heard of it, while you're not alone, you're a bit behind the curve.

Amazon instant video-September 7 2006
Netflix-January 2007
Hulu-march 12 2008
Sling tv-November 9t 2015
Youtube premium-October 2015

Apple+- November 1 2019

It would seem that we are not the ones behind the curve here, and the reason no ones heard of it outside of the those who subscribe, is that they have to sub to yet another streaming service.

They also haven't grown as fast as other recently launched services such as HBO max, and Disney+ that both dwarf Apple+ subscription base. Content is king.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#25 » by monopoman » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:25 pm

bisme37 wrote:
monopoman wrote:It's popular enough that Jason Sudeikas is going to be getting $1 million per episode in season 3. It might not be a hugely impactful show but it's probably the most successful show on Apple+

I also will point out if you buy a new Apple device they are offering a few months free of Apple+.

I prob wouldn't have gotten Apple TV without the free one year trial I got with an Apple purchase. But I'm glad I did because I love Ted Lasso! There are some other hidden gems on there too. And I'm excited for their big epic sci-fi series that's coming out in a few weeks. "Foundation" based on Isaac Asimov books. It looks awesome and I expect it will bring a lot of new users to Apple TV.

They have done a pretty good job with releasing their own content especially in a short time frame.

I have enjoyed the following shows on there:

Ted Lasso
Schmigadoon!
Mythic Quest

I also have heard good things about For All Mankind but haven't gotten around to watch it yet. Listing 3 shows doesn't sound like a ton but when this service has only been around since 2019, it's more impressive.
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,730

Post#26 » by hauntedcomputer » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:48 pm

I didn't know Bill Simmons had a RealGM burner account.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,856

Post#27 » by Dutchball97 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:08 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

There's some truth in this. It's on a new streaming service (Apple) that doesn't have a lot of subscribers, so the amount of buzz it's gotten is outsized compared to the size of its audience.

Don't fool yourself though. The show has a ton of Emmy nods, is really popular among pro athletes across sports, and despite being an American show, those in the UK who have seen it so far have been raving about it as well.

All this to say that if you've never heard of it, while you're not alone, you're a bit behind the curve.

Netflix-January 2007
Hulu-march 12 2008

Apple+- November 1 2019

It would seem that we are not the ones behind the curve here, and the reason no ones heard of it outside of the those who subscribe, is that they have to sub to yet another streaming service.

They also haven't grown as fast as other recently launched services such as HBO max, and Disney+ that both dwarf Apple+ subscription base. Content is king.

I bet most people who watched it don't have an apple+ subscription.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,430

Post#28 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:42 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Netflix-January 2007
Hulu-march 12 2008

Apple+- November 1 2019

I have no idea who you think is the one behind the curve here. It literally makes no sense to conflate ignorance with being ahead of the curve.

Look, Ted Lasso got 20 Emmy nominations in its first season while existing on a new streaming service that hasn't had any hits before - a massive underdog success. On its way to doing this it grew by consistently effusive word of mouth until it reached the point where it was getting attention in all sorts of places.

I can't know whether you'd like the show or not, and in the end that's all that really matters - enjoy it or don't, it's up to your personal taste. But if you can't recognize that this is a classic case of a rising phenom that you just hadn't heard of before, you're just being stubborn.

And remember: The OP didn't start this thread to look cool claiming to be in the know, and looking down on those who hadn't heard of the show. He just posted it because he thought it would be fun. The fact that you and others are coming into the thread s**ting on a show literally because you haven't heard of it is just, well, telling.

Like the man says,
Be curious
Not judgmental.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,430

Post#29 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:44 pm

bisme37 wrote:

I'm a big Asimov fan and "Foundation" is something I have to watch. No idea if it will be done well or not, but here's hoping.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!

Return to The General Board