WNBA Playoffs - Congrats WNBA Champion Chicago Sky!

Moderators: bisme37, Dirk, ken6199, Domejandro, KingDavid, zimpy27, jamaalstar21, Harry Garris, bwgood77, infinite11285

User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 77,822
And1: 46,086
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#81 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:11 am

After Taurasi taking over in the 4th....this...

Read on Twitter
ellobo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,707
And1: 2,831
Joined: Aug 06, 2017

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#82 » by ellobo » Sat Oct 9, 2021 2:49 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
I'm cautious though about saying the WNBA was ever developmentally ahead of the NBA in terms of tactic refinement. The closest thing that comes to mind for me was that Cynthia Cooper was essentially a 2010s type of superstar back in the '90s at a time when no one really like her existed in the NBA. However, that wasn't a league-wide thing, that was Cooper coming back from Europe where 3-point shooting was more advanced than in the US, and as a result just burning through the WNBA that wasn't remotely prepared for someone like that.

(Tangent: People sometimes bring up about Cooper "Yeah but she wasn't even the best player on USC", not realizing that back in her USC days there was no 3-point line in women's college basketball. The reason why Cooper went so under the radar for so long in the US - never allowed to be the focal point of the US Olympic teams - is because they were still largely thinking like it was still 1984 until Cooper shocked the WNBA becoming by far the best player despite not even being classified as a franchise cornerstone initially.)


Cynthia Cooper on the Comets is the player that got me to like and appreciate watching women's basketball.

I don't remember the exact details of how the player allocation went at the beginning of the WNBA, but I do remember thinking it was crazy that the Comets were gifted Sheryl Swoopes as a territorial cornerstone (IIRC), drafted Tina Thompson, and then also somehow ended up with the most dominant player in the league. Didn't anyone KNOW at the time? It's like if the NBA was first starting and Michael Jordan had been playing for years overseas, but he was an afterthought when the league allocated players.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
User avatar
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
Posts: 10,302
And1: 13,479
Joined: Jan 08, 2009
Location: space is the place
 

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#83 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Oct 9, 2021 3:26 pm

I watched some of the Aces vs Mercury and it was excellent. I was cheering for the Aces because I've been following Kelsey Plum ever since I found out who this was

Read on Twitter


and she has had a tough go of it despite being the NCAA's all-time scorer. Nice to see her finally showing up big-time in this series as arguably the Aces' best player. They probably should have gone to her with the game on the line. Oh well. It was a great series.

WNBA is terrific basketball and entertainment. Too bad so many dudes can't wrap their heads around that. I hope they get an WNBA team in Toronto soon. Pretty sure it would be a big hit.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 44,951
And1: 13,891
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
     

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#84 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Oct 9, 2021 3:43 pm

bwgood77 wrote:After Taurasi taking over in the 4th....this...

Read on Twitter


A Great block, and I wanted to chime in on Taurasi's career here.

If you include both single-game elimination rounds - which the WNBA began in 2016 - over the course of her entire career:

Diana Taurasi's Mercury has 9 times won a series in an upset.
And they've never lost in an upset.

It's remarkable, and is more of a trend than anyone's history in the NBA.

Note: Part of this is because Taurasi's teams have been unable to achieve the level of dominance that Jordan's Bulls did - can't upset anyone when you're winning everything all the time. I think we can all agree though it's quite the achievement for Taurasi.
Hey: With what's going on in the world, my fuse is shorter than it used to be, and it's leading my lose my cool and then go on self-imposed breaks from things (such as RealGM). Please try to keep it civil, and I'll be looking to do the same.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 44,951
And1: 13,891
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
     

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#85 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Oct 9, 2021 3:49 pm

ellobo wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
I'm cautious though about saying the WNBA was ever developmentally ahead of the NBA in terms of tactic refinement. The closest thing that comes to mind for me was that Cynthia Cooper was essentially a 2010s type of superstar back in the '90s at a time when no one really like her existed in the NBA. However, that wasn't a league-wide thing, that was Cooper coming back from Europe where 3-point shooting was more advanced than in the US, and as a result just burning through the WNBA that wasn't remotely prepared for someone like that.

(Tangent: People sometimes bring up about Cooper "Yeah but she wasn't even the best player on USC", not realizing that back in her USC days there was no 3-point line in women's college basketball. The reason why Cooper went so under the radar for so long in the US - never allowed to be the focal point of the US Olympic teams - is because they were still largely thinking like it was still 1984 until Cooper shocked the WNBA becoming by far the best player despite not even being classified as a franchise cornerstone initially.)


Cynthia Cooper on the Comets is the player that got me to like and appreciate watching women's basketball.

I don't remember the exact details of how the player allocation went at the beginning of the WNBA, but I do remember thinking it was crazy that the Comets were gifted Sheryl Swoopes as a territorial cornerstone (IIRC), drafted Tina Thompson, and then also somehow ended up with the most dominant player in the league. Didn't anyone KNOW at the time? It's like if the NBA was first starting and Michael Jordan had been playing for years overseas, but he was an afterthought when the league allocated players.


Yup, that was precisely the issue:

https://theundefeated.com/features/houstons-comets-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-wnbas-first-dynasty/

Val Ackerman, the first president of the WNBA, said they did their best to spread the wealth out among the original eight, so that every team had a chance to not only be competitive, but to win the championship.

“The league, we ended up having probably an usually large role in distributing the players early on,” said Ackerman, who is now the commissioner of the Big East. “So the fact that they wound up doing what they did was a bit of a surprise, to be honest. It wasn’t anything planned.

I think we blew it. None of us realized just how good Cynthia Cooper was, because if we had, she would not have been assigned to the Comets. … If we had any inkling of how dominant a player she was, we would have … spread it. We just didn’t know.”


Honestly one of the most amazing stories in sports history for me.
Hey: With what's going on in the world, my fuse is shorter than it used to be, and it's leading my lose my cool and then go on self-imposed breaks from things (such as RealGM). Please try to keep it civil, and I'll be looking to do the same.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 44,951
And1: 13,891
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
     

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#86 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Oct 9, 2021 3:55 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:I watched some of the Aces vs Mercury and it was excellent. I was cheering for the Aces because I've been following Kelsey Plum ever since I found out who this was

Read on Twitter


and she has had a tough go of it despite being the NCAA's all-time scorer. Nice to see her finally showing up big-time in this series as arguably the Aces' best player. They probably should have gone to her with the game on the line. Oh well. It was a great series.

WNBA is terrific basketball and entertainment. Too bad so many dudes can't wrap their heads around that. I hope they get an WNBA team in Toronto soon. Pretty sure it would be a big hit.


I love everything about this post. Had not seen that t-shirt toss! :o
Hey: With what's going on in the world, my fuse is shorter than it used to be, and it's leading my lose my cool and then go on self-imposed breaks from things (such as RealGM). Please try to keep it civil, and I'll be looking to do the same.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 44,951
And1: 13,891
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
     

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#87 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Oct 9, 2021 3:59 pm

So a note as we talk about Taurasi & Griner:

Skylar Diggins-Smith, despite not putting up great numbers in the playoffs, has continued to lead the team in both minutes and +/- like she did in the regular season. Not looking to make an argument in any direction here, but I think it's worth trying to understand how this is still happening despite her scoring performance really falling off.
Hey: With what's going on in the world, my fuse is shorter than it used to be, and it's leading my lose my cool and then go on self-imposed breaks from things (such as RealGM). Please try to keep it civil, and I'll be looking to do the same.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 77,822
And1: 46,086
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#88 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 6:32 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:After Taurasi taking over in the 4th....this...

Read on Twitter


A Great block, and I wanted to chime in on Taurasi's career here.

If you include both single-game elimination rounds - which the WNBA began in 2016 - over the course of her entire career:

Diana Taurasi's Mercury has 9 times won a series in an upset.
And they've never lost in an upset.

It's remarkable, and is more of a trend than anyone's history in the NBA.

Note: Part of this is because Taurasi's teams have been unable to achieve the level of dominance that Jordan's Bulls did - can't upset anyone when you're winning everything all the time. I think we can all agree though it's quite the achievement for Taurasi.


That is quite remarkable.

I don't pay attention but I should given their team and her. One big writer for the Suns, a popular twitter guy was talking about interesting parallels they have with the Suns. Last night he was comparing their 3 best players, Taurasi, Diggins Smith and Griner to Booker, Paul and Ayton, and wondered if they shared some plays, particularly one called the 52 where they use the C and SG. They had a double header the other day..and I think the teams are close.
User avatar
Funcrusher
Analyst
Posts: 3,732
And1: 5,005
Joined: Apr 14, 2017
Location: Stolen from Africa
 

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#89 » by Funcrusher » Sat Oct 9, 2021 6:43 pm

Really wanted to see the Aces get back in the Finals but excited to see GOAT(Taurasi) vs. Young GOAT (Parker) action nonetheless
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 77,822
And1: 46,086
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#90 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 11:52 pm

The 2021 WNBA Finals starting Sunday on ABC (3 p.m. ET) showcase two of women's basketball's all-time greatest players in the Chicago Sky's Candace Parker and the Phoenix Mercury's Diana Taurasi. They've both been league MVP (Parker twice) and WNBA Finals MVP (Taurasi twice). Taurasi is the league's leading career scorer; Parker is the only player to be MVP and Rookie of the Year in the same season, and she also was Defensive Player of the Year last season.

Taurasi is 39 and Parker 35. Both were iconic players for legendary NCAA programs, and both are GOAT candidates. It's like having two silver screen superstars finally end up in the same blockbuster movie. The matchup also has one of the sport's best centers, the Mercury's Brittney Griner.
Spoiler:
What individual matchup will have the biggest impact on which team wins the WNBA title?

Pelton: Skylar Diggins-Smith vs. Vandersloot. When the All-WNBA teams are announced during the Finals, Diggins-Smith and Vandersloot could be the two first-team guards. They're elite point guards with different styles. Diggins-Smith is the more dangerous scorer -- she averaged 24 points per game in three head-to-head meetings this season -- while Vandersloot is (with apologies to Ticha Penicheiro) perhaps the best passer in WNBA history. She has handed out at least 10 assists in six of their 17 career matchups


And it pits one of the WNBA's eight original franchises in 1997 -- three-time champion Phoenix -- vs. expansion Chicago, which entered the league in 2006 and is seeking its first title. For the first time since the WNBA's 2016 change in playoff format, two teams -- No. 5 seed Phoenix and No. 6 Chicago -- that had to play in the single-elimination early rounds have advanced to the WNBA Finals.


https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/32365066/2021-wnba-finals-phoenix-mercury-vs-chicago-sky-picks-predictions-x-factors
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 85,260
And1: 39,803
Joined: May 23, 2001
     

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#91 » by The_Hater » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:18 am

bisme37 wrote:I understand some people here think WNBA is laughably terrible but I'm hoping those people will decide this isn't the thread for them and simply comment on something else.

Anyway, the WNBA playoffs are going on right now and I thought we should have a thread. There have already been a couple thrillers and right now the Storm just erased a big deficit to take a lead over Phoenix at the half. Good game. The first two rounds are just one game, not a series, so it's win or go home.

Anyway, please join the discussion if you're watching. I have Connecticut winning the title this year but there are several really good teams so it should be fun.


I hate to say this, but I turned on the WNBA finals last season and proceeded to watch 10 minutes worth of TO’s and forced shots before changing the channel. Now I probably just happened to catch the worst possible stretch of play, but it wasn’t a very good endorsement for the league. I won’t be back anytime soon.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.


April 14th, 2019.
Infinite Llamas
Head Coach
Posts: 6,171
And1: 15,293
Joined: Jul 22, 2006
Location: Land of Llamas
   

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#92 » by Infinite Llamas » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:19 am

Doctor MJ wrote:So a note as we talk about Taurasi & Griner:

Skylar Diggins-Smith, despite not putting up great numbers in the playoffs, has continued to lead the team in both minutes and +/- like she did in the regular season. Not looking to make an argument in any direction here, but I think it's worth trying to understand how this is still happening despite her scoring performance really falling off.


Skylar has had to make a pretty big adjustment to her game going from being the alpha on the Dallas/Tulsa teams to the third option on Phoenix. I think she is passing well and her presence makes things a little easier for DT and Griner based on her reputation. Just waiting for to explode for 30.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
User avatar
5paceman
Senior
Posts: 652
And1: 405
Joined: Feb 25, 2021
 

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#93 » by 5paceman » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:30 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:I watched some of the Aces vs Mercury and it was excellent. I was cheering for the Aces because I've been following Kelsey Plum ever since I found out who this was

Read on Twitter


and she has had a tough go of it despite being the NCAA's all-time scorer. Nice to see her finally showing up big-time in this series as arguably the Aces' best player. They probably should have gone to her with the game on the line. Oh well. It was a great series.

WNBA is terrific basketball and entertainment. Too bad so many dudes can't wrap their heads around that. I hope they get an WNBA team in Toronto soon. Pretty sure it would be a big hit.


Like the NBA not every game is fun to watch, but damn that was a good game!

Chelsea Gray is smooth with handles and shot. Taurasi a legend.
User avatar
Calvin Klein
RealGM
Posts: 11,232
And1: 3,756
Joined: May 20, 2008
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:
   

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#94 » by Calvin Klein » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:36 pm

I've asked this before but the link I've been given doesn't work anymore. If anyone knows how I can watch the games and could PM me I'd appreciate it :D
Infinite Llamas
Head Coach
Posts: 6,171
And1: 15,293
Joined: Jul 22, 2006
Location: Land of Llamas
   

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#95 » by Infinite Llamas » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:28 pm

Nice start for Skylar and the Mercury. She always seems to play great against the Sky
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
User avatar
bisme37
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,653
And1: 23,622
Joined: May 24, 2014
 

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#96 » by bisme37 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:50 pm

Dang, this is (about to be) a very convincing win for the Sky. Phoenix can't do anything about Copper. Sloot and Quigley are terrific. And Candace was def the missing piece there. It will be pretty epic if she brings a title to her hometown in her first year with the team.
User avatar
bisme37
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,653
And1: 23,622
Joined: May 24, 2014
 

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#97 » by bisme37 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:51 pm

The_Hater wrote:
bisme37 wrote:I understand some people here think WNBA is laughably terrible but I'm hoping those people will decide this isn't the thread for them and simply comment on something else.

Anyway, the WNBA playoffs are going on right now and I thought we should have a thread. There have already been a couple thrillers and right now the Storm just erased a big deficit to take a lead over Phoenix at the half. Good game. The first two rounds are just one game, not a series, so it's win or go home.

Anyway, please join the discussion if you're watching. I have Connecticut winning the title this year but there are several really good teams so it should be fun.


I hate to say this, but I turned on the WNBA finals last season and proceeded to watch 10 minutes worth of TO’s and forced shots before changing the channel. Now I probably just happened to catch the worst possible stretch of play, but it wasn’t a very good endorsement for the league. I won’t be back anytime soon.


Whatever jerkface!
User avatar
Jadoogar
General Manager
Posts: 8,146
And1: 7,219
Joined: May 06, 2010
   

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#98 » by Jadoogar » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:56 pm

The_Hater wrote:
bisme37 wrote:I understand some people here think WNBA is laughably terrible but I'm hoping those people will decide this isn't the thread for them and simply comment on something else.

Anyway, the WNBA playoffs are going on right now and I thought we should have a thread. There have already been a couple thrillers and right now the Storm just erased a big deficit to take a lead over Phoenix at the half. Good game. The first two rounds are just one game, not a series, so it's win or go home.

Anyway, please join the discussion if you're watching. I have Connecticut winning the title this year but there are several really good teams so it should be fun.


I hate to say this, but I turned on the WNBA finals last season and proceeded to watch 10 minutes worth of TO’s and forced shots before changing the channel. Now I probably just happened to catch the worst possible stretch of play, but it wasn’t a very good endorsement for the league. I won’t be back anytime soon.


good thing you came in this thread to let everyone know. I was wondering what your position was.
User avatar
jamaalstar21
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 4,906
And1: 9,623
Joined: Jul 21, 2016
 

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#99 » by jamaalstar21 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:58 pm

The_Hater wrote:
bisme37 wrote:I understand some people here think WNBA is laughably terrible but I'm hoping those people will decide this isn't the thread for them and simply comment on something else.

Anyway, the WNBA playoffs are going on right now and I thought we should have a thread. There have already been a couple thrillers and right now the Storm just erased a big deficit to take a lead over Phoenix at the half. Good game. The first two rounds are just one game, not a series, so it's win or go home.

Anyway, please join the discussion if you're watching. I have Connecticut winning the title this year but there are several really good teams so it should be fun.


I hate to say this, but I turned on the WNBA finals last season and proceeded to watch 10 minutes worth of TO’s and forced shots before changing the channel. Now I probably just happened to catch the worst possible stretch of play, but it wasn’t a very good endorsement for the league. I won’t be back anytime soon.


A guy who actively andured Raptors basketball throughout the post-Vince era through every Demar Derozan playoff series can't handle 10 minutes worth of TO's and forced shots before turning the channel :wink:
User avatar
Maxthirty
Senior
Posts: 743
And1: 1,437
Joined: Sep 08, 2020
   

Re: WNBA Playoffs 

Post#100 » by Maxthirty » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:01 pm

I’ve started watching some games and I’ve become a fan of Kahleah Copper. I haven’t seen todays game, but it looks like she’s tearing it up again.
Water makes you weak.

Return to The General Board