NBA protocols/Covid/Vaccine - Discussion thread

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

TheAlanParsons
Junior
And1: 240

Re: Woj:The NBA has reached a 95 percent vaccination threshold of its players 

Post#842 » by TheAlanParsons » Sat Oct 2, 2021 12:05 am

FNQ wrote:
TheAlanParsons wrote:IDK. Looking at the deaths chart, I see one country, with the most insane restrictions, Australia, has skyrocketing cases. Another that has never had any restrictions, Sweden, is flatlined. This variant is going to burn through every population eventually. Florida is only 2% behind California in vax rate. The fact that Florida's spike in deaths was high is total unsurprising when you are talking about a virus that overwhelming kills old people.

"every state is going through this right now"

again, this shows new cases, not deaths, so not sure why that was invoked. Softening up and pivoting doesnt change that you're being constantly wrong, loudly.

Props to FL for catching up to CA. I'll bet you didnt know that CA, while being a deep blue state, would be colored red everywhere but the coast if looked at by county.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/california-coronavirus-cases-tracking-outbreak/covid-19-vaccines-distribution/

Scroll down and see that despite having similar vaccination rates, California is doing worlds better than Florida. Why? Because the high density areas are overwhelmingly vaxxed, and the low density areas (typically rural, red areas) are not.

Of the 8 counties that typically make up the Bay Area, 7 of them are over 67% vaxxed. The one that isn't (Solano) is red leaning.

Only one coastal county is below 56% vaxxed, and its the one touching Oregon.

I wouldn't be so smug just yet if I were you. People in Florida stay indoors during the summer because it's gross outside. It's known that covid spreads much more easily indoors. We are about to start going outside much more. It's opposite for the people up north, who coming up will be inside AND will have reduce immune response due to the cold weather. It might not matter to California, where the weather seems to be nice almost the whole year. Congratulations.

(btw you just have to click on one of the tabs in the chart you liked to for deaths instead of cases. AFAIC cases are useless because it depends on how many people are getting tested.)
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,094

Post#843 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 12:29 am

TheAlanParsons wrote:
FNQ wrote:
TheAlanParsons wrote:IDK. Looking at the deaths chart, I see one country, with the most insane restrictions, Australia, has skyrocketing cases. Another that has never had any restrictions, Sweden, is flatlined. This variant is going to burn through every population eventually. Florida is only 2% behind California in vax rate. The fact that Florida's spike in deaths was high is total unsurprising when you are talking about a virus that overwhelming kills old people.

again, this shows new cases, not deaths, so not sure why that was invoked. Softening up and pivoting doesnt change that you're being constantly wrong, loudly.

Props to FL for catching up to CA. I'll bet you didnt know that CA, while being a deep blue state, would be colored red everywhere but the coast if looked at by county.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/california-coronavirus-cases-tracking-outbreak/covid-19-vaccines-distribution/

Scroll down and see that despite having similar vaccination rates, California is doing worlds better than Florida. Why? Because the high density areas are overwhelmingly vaxxed, and the low density areas (typically rural, red areas) are not.

Of the 8 counties that typically make up the Bay Area, 7 of them are over 67% vaxxed. The one that isn't (Solano) is red leaning.

I wouldn't be so smug just yet if I were you. People in Florida stay indoors during the summer because it's gross outside. It's known that covid spreads much more easily indoors. We are about to start going outside much more. It's opposite for the people up north, who coming up will be inside AND will have reduce immune response due to the cold weather. It might not matter to California, where the weather seems to be nice almost the whole year. Congratulations.

(btw you just have to click on one of the tabs in the chart you liked to for deaths instead of cases. AFAIC cases are useless because it depends on how many people are getting tested.)

Again this isn’t a contest between states. It’s a country wide thing, and we are all on the same team. It’s about limiting the spread of disease.
TheAlanParsons
Junior

Post#844 » by TheAlanParsons » Sat Oct 2, 2021 12:41 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
TheAlanParsons wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Again this isn’t a contest between states. It’s a country wide thing, and we are all on the same team. It’s about limiting the spread of disease.

Thank you. I agree, but sometimes it feels like it is because the national news keeps crapping on us. Evil Ron DeSantis or stupid Florida yokels, and it's obviously for political reasons. So it's easy to get defensive.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#845 » by FNQ » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:10 am

TheAlanParsons wrote:I wouldn't be so smug just yet if I were you. People in Florida stay indoors during the summer because it's gross outside. It's known that covid spreads much more easily indoors. We are about to start going outside much more. It's opposite for the people up north, who coming up will be inside AND will have reduce immune response due to the cold weather. It might not matter to California, where the weather seems to be nice almost the whole year. Congratulations.

So just random excuses. Its weird because in 2020, the summer is when Florida dipped! Now in 2021 everyone in Florida stayed inside.. So I guess that theory isn't viable. Also deaths have spiked in Florida in a way that's never been seen before either. Again, only in 2021, not in 2020.

But your other point, the point about tests...
https://ycharts.com/indicators/florida_coronavirus_tests_administered_per_day
https://ycharts.com/indicators/california_coronavirus_tests_administered_per_day

California is averaging about 200k tests per day
Florida is averaging about 100k tests per day

So another theory gets thrown out the window.

Maybe just stop randomly flinging crap against the walls.. thats all we're asking.

Also, tell me you've never been to California without telling me you've never been to CA. Hot as hell here.
TheAlanParsons
Junior

Post#846 » by TheAlanParsons » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:23 am

FNQ wrote:
TheAlanParsons wrote:I wouldn't be so smug just yet if I were you. People in Florida stay indoors during the summer because it's gross outside. It's known that covid spreads much more easily indoors. We are about to start going outside much more. It's opposite for the people up north, who coming up will be inside AND will have reduce immune response due to the cold weather. It might not matter to California, where the weather seems to be nice almost the whole year. Congratulations.

So just random excuses. Its weird because in 2020, the summer is when Florida dipped! Now in 2021 everyone in Florida stayed inside.. So I guess that theory isn't viable. Also deaths have spiked in Florida in a way that's never been seen before either. Again, only in 2021, not in 2020.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/california_coronavirus_tests_administered_per_day

Maybe just stop randomly flinging crap against the walls.. thats all we're asking.

Also, tell me you've never been to California without telling me you've never been to CA. Hot as hell here.

It's hot as hell, huh? Where, in Death Valley? What's the average high in Oakland in August? How about San Diego? You are just flat out lying.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#847 » by FNQ » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:30 am

TheAlanParsons wrote:
FNQ wrote:

It's hot as hell, huh? Where, in Death Valley? What's the average high in Oakland in August? How about San Diego? You are just flat out lying.

lol cmon man you wanna make this about the weather now? You ignore everything else but the weather is where you draw the line?

You start a local weather thread and we can talk there. But if you are going to say stuff about COVID that's false or misleading because you're mad at media coverage.. take a step back and realize how disrespectful that is to everyone currently in the healthcare industry that's had their entire lives *actually* dominated by this disease, and then have to see flat out denials of all the facts about the disease.

It doesn't make you a Democrat to say the science is right and it doesn't make you less of a conservative to abide the facts. Simple as that
TheAlanParsons
Junior

Post#848 » by TheAlanParsons » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:37 am

FNQ wrote:
TheAlanParsons wrote:
FNQ wrote:

lol cmon man you wanna make this about the weather now? You ignore everything else but the weather is where you draw the line?

You start a local weather thread and we can talk there. But if you are going to say stuff about COVID that's false or misleading because you're mad at media coverage.. take a step back and realize how disrespectful that is to everyone currently in the healthcare industry that's had their entire lives *actually* dominated by this disease, and then have to see flat out denials of all the facts about the disease.

It doesn't make you a Democrat to say the science is right and it doesn't make you less of a conservative to abide the facts. Simple as that

So it's not all that hot in Cali and you were just lying. Thank you.
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Re: NBA protocols/Covid/Vaccine - Discussion thread 

Post#850 » by frothbrain » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:54 am

covid is over. stop living in fear. a small percentage of people are vulnerable. most are jabbed or have natural immunity.
if you're sick stay home that goes for any coronavirus or flu. wear a mask if you are too stupid to cover your mouth when coughing, which you shouldn't be if you are not going out to public indoor venues when sick.
TheAlanParsons
Junior

Post#851 » by TheAlanParsons » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:56 am

frothbrain wrote:covid is over. stop living in fear. a small percentage of people are vulnerable. most are jabbed or have natural immunity.
if you're sick stay home that goes for any coronavirus or flu. wear a mask if you are too stupid to cover your mouth when coughing.

Don't expect this common sense to penetrate the brains of the covidians.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,618

Post#852 » by infinite11285 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 2:20 am

TheAlanParsons wrote:Draymond speaking with great wisdom:
Read on Twitter

Draymond made some good points; however, arguments like these only demonstrate the extent to which many people have an utterly juvenile and solipsistic definition of “freedom.”
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,439

Post#853 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 2:26 am

frothbrain wrote:covid is over

Oh is it now
TheAlanParsons
Junior

Post#854 » by TheAlanParsons » Sat Oct 2, 2021 2:30 am

infinite11285 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Draymond made some good points; however, arguments like these only demonstrate the extent to which many people have an utterly juvenile and solipsistic definition of “freedom.”

+1 for a quality use of solipsism.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#855 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 2:35 am

infinite11285 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He just basically took some bad arguments and made them sound reasonable. At this point, taking the vaccine is the reasonable thing to do, and refusing it is unreasonable. Right now you have a lot of people, as Draymond demonstrates here, finding this middle ground and getting praise for it. Sorry, but the middle ground between reasonable and unreasonable is unreasonable.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#856 » by FNQ » Sat Oct 2, 2021 2:35 am

frothbrain wrote:covid is over. stop living in fear. a small percentage of people are vulnerable. most are jabbed or have natural immunity.
if you're sick stay home that goes for any coronavirus or flu. wear a mask if you are too stupid to cover your mouth when coughing, which you shouldn't be if you are not going out to public indoor venues when sick.

116k new cases yesterday.

But you've stumbled across something that may lead to a deal. Actually the biggest spreading event is talking when out in public. So I think we can make a deal here.. we stop pressuring antivaxxers to get vaxxed and wear masks, and in return.. they can't talk.

I'm willing to see how it goes :dontknow:
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#857 » by michaelm » Sat Oct 2, 2021 2:57 am

TheAlanParsons wrote:
FNQ wrote:
TheAlanParsons wrote:The spikes are not avoidable and are not unusual. Every fricking state and every country show the same damn patterns, no matter what their policies are.

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+covid+numbers+graph&rlz=1C1KDEC_enUS827US827&ei=u41XYY3UKf3Q1sQPi--b2AE&ved=0ahUKEwjNnbSzo6rzAhV9qJUCHYv3BhsQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=california+covid+numbers+graph&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCGAzIFCAAQhgMyBQgAEIYDOgcIABBHELADOgcIABCwAxBDOggIABCABBDJAzoGCAAQFhAeSgQIQRgAUPOyA1jhuANg07kDaANwAngAgAGdAYgBjwWSAQMyLjSYAQCgAQHIAQrAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

Sorry for the long link but this will make it easy.

This link shows new cases and can be filtered by state. Look at the depth of spike between certain states and others, and see if you can tell me what the difference is

TheAlanParsons wrote:Every other state has either gone through or is going through this spike. Your interventions are crap.

I mean... the data is really, really easy to see. You probably should either check it first or make sure its so obscure that no one can find it.

IDK. Looking at the deaths chart, I see one country, with the most insane restrictions, Australia, has skyrocketing cases. Another that has never had any restrictions, Sweden, is flatlined. This variant is going to burn through every population eventually. Florida is only 2% behind California in vax rate. The fact that Florida's spike in deaths was high is total unsurprising when you are talking about a virus that overwhelming kills old people.

Much of Australia managed Covid zero prior to the advent of the delta variant, and mostly had few or no restrictions other than on international travel, probably the biggest reason why we managed Covid zero of course, for most of the pandemic prior to June 2021, except in one state which had more spread into aged care facilities. When the delta variant did get here (almost all the 80,000 odd cases since June have fairly definitely been traced back to an unvaccinated limousine driver to whom vaccination was available who transported an international air crew btw) we had little herd immunity from natural infection and close to the lowest vaccination rate in the OECD, although a substantial rate of vaccination of people living in aged care facilities had been managed fortunately. With infection and death rates skyrocketing for real in neighbouring Indonesia, and in India, and with lockdowns and lesser restrictions having worked previously, lockdowns which were intended to be brief were instituted but didn't work as far as eliminating the disease in the 2 most populous states where it has become clear Covid zero is not achievable with the delta variant. The plan in NSW where I live is to start rolling back restrictions at 70% vaccination of those over 16 on Monday 11 October, further still at 80 % vaccination anticipated to be 2 weeks later, with most restrictions gone by December 1 when 90% vaccination is anticipated. Infections are not skyrocketing now, and having reached a peak of 1599 in a day are now down to 800 odd yesterday. This coincided with the increasing vaccination rate. I myself am well aware coincidence is not causation, and that perhaps fluctuation independent of measures including vaccination in a disease the behaviour of which we are observing rather than fully understanding at this point in time may also have contributed, the disease has apparently peaked in Indonesia and in India (again), but the measures including vaccination actually working in Australia would also seem to be possible. We have had of the order of 400 deaths with the 80,000 new cases, a majority in the unvaccinated. I think it is very unlikely that herd immunity from infection has caused the drop in cases in NSW Australia.

Sweden is interesting and I have thought (and hoped) for some time might be the way of the future for Australia. What they are not by my understanding however is a nation of individualists or extreme libertarians, being on the contrary pretty much socialists by American standards, and nor did they do nothing as seems to be a common belief. What they seem to have done is rely on the social cohesion and good sense of their citizenry, had sensible restrictions which they are only just now rolling back, and achieved a vaccination rate (at a cursory look) as high as other places in Europe. I believe they have also mostly been guided by one, it looks very much like extremely smart, epidemiologist. I saw something from him early in the pandemic that he thought they could have protected the aged care population better initially, but he seems to have stayed the course since. My hopeful speculation is that that they have achieved herd immunity through a combination of infection from the original infection which restrictions +/- the absence of a superspreader kept from getting out of hand, and vaccination, and that things won't regress 6 months after vaccination of those who were vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine.

I believe Singapore still has an extremely low death rate btw, and some are speculating that this new outbreak in a highly vaccinated population will lead to high long term immunity on the basis of data such as that in the preprint paper from Israel cited earlier in this thread.
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#858 » by frothbrain » Sat Oct 2, 2021 3:03 am

FNQ wrote:

116k new cases yesterday.

But you've stumbled across something that may lead to a deal. Actually the biggest spreading event is talking when out in public. So I think we can make a deal here.. we stop pressuring antivaxxers to get vaxxed and wear masks, and in return.. they can't talk.

I'm willing to see how it goes :dontknow:

don't care how many people get the sniffles per day. maybe encourage a healthier lifestyle instead of trying to shut down society?

Strike: Trolling
Show more respect for the families of the 4,550,000 million people lost to COVID. Coronavirus isn't the sniffles, nor is it appropriate to deem everyone who succumbed to the disease as unhealthy.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#859 » by Optms » Sat Oct 2, 2021 3:12 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He just basically took some bad arguments and made them sound reasonable. At this point, taking the vaccine is the reasonable thing to do, and refusing it is unreasonable. Right now you have a lot of people, as Draymond demonstrates here, finding this middle ground and getting praise for it. Sorry, but the middle ground between reasonable and unreasonable is unreasonable.

Apart from it becoming a political tool, I didn't hear anything he said as unreasonable. And that is just my opinion, like it is yours to say otherwise. Its not even taking the middle ground either. I'm anti anything that forces someone to do something that they don't want in regards to their body. Dray basically said the same thing. Having a choice isn't selfish. Unless you twist it out to be, sure.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#860 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 3:16 am

Optms wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:

Apart from it becoming a political tool, I didn't hear anything he said as unreasonable. And that is just my opinion, like it is yours to say otherwise. Its not even taking the middle ground either. I'm anti anything that forces someone to do something that they don't want in regards to their body. Dray basically said the same thing. Having a choice isn't selfish. Unless you twist it out to be, sure.

Before Covid, what workplace or college or high school mandated vaccines did you have a problem with?

Return to The General Board