Morey smoking that good stuff again

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Morey smoking that good stuff again 

Post#1 » by Pointgod » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:08 pm

Nuff said. He was in a weaker position than he was months ago and still setting his asking price way too high imo.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10014315-ben-simmons-trade-rumors-76ers-asked-blazers-for-three-1st-round-picks-draft-swaps

The Philadelphia 76ers reportedly asked the Portland Trail Blazers for three first-round draft picks and three pick swap options as part of a trade package for point guard Ben Simmons.

Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,284

Re: Morey smoking that good stuff again 

Post#2 » by Bornstellar » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:17 pm

This is just stupid at this point. No one is giving up 3 firsts and 3 swaps for Simmons. There is no team in the league that is desperate to get Simmons or views him as the missing piece. Morey is an idiot
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,062

Post#3 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:18 pm

they probably wont trade him unless he plays so idk what the panic is for. They have till february to trade him, and if they dont ben can kiss the rest of his salary goodbye so he has every reason to play. The sixers are trying to win a title right now, trading simmons for brogdon and lavert wont get them that, but waiting out ben and having him play up his value will get them something to win a title with.

embiids prime is another 3-4 years and the nets warriors lakers and bucks are likely too much for them to handle unless they get lillard or beal anyway. Theres no downside since his value cant go lower than it is now.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 18,986

Post#4 » by DelAbbot » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:19 pm

Hope this backfires spectacularly for Morey.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#5 » by Pointgod » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:21 pm

Bornstellar wrote:This is just stupid at this point. No one is giving up 3 firsts and 3 swaps for Simmons. There is no team in the league that is desperate to get Simmons or views him as the missing piece. Morey is an idiot

I’m starting to wonder if anything changes unless ownership steps in. GMs have to be looking at Morey and thinking this dude is a joke with these requests. This is not setting the terms of negotiation high, it’s just height of stupidity. I can make an argument that McCollum and no picks for Simmons is more of a reasonable starting point than what Morey seems to be asking for.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,586

Post#6 » by Bruin » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:24 pm

Think he’s just trying to fix the fact that he’s all leverage by saying they won’t trade him unless he gets a good package

Obviously other GMs aren’t stupid to fall for this crap. Everyone knows they’re gonna have to move him so nobody is gonna offer a treasure chest
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#7 » by Up-And-Coming » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:32 pm

That’s not that bad imo. A bit of an overpay.

CJ + 2FRP + a pick swap and call it a day.
BHF
Veteran
And1: 2,683

Post#8 » by BHF » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:36 pm

At this point Morey is insulting other gm's in the league, not sure why the 76ers don't put some pressure on him or fire his ass if he is not willing to get a deal done.
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#9 » by DTP » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:36 pm

No way I send any first rounders if I'm Portland.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,211

Post#10 » by bisme37 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:41 pm

I just don't understand what Philly's endgame is. Do they want to win basketball games or win a pettywar? If there was a team that thought Ben was worth 6 firsts a trade would have happened months ago. And the longer this drags on his value goes down if anything, not up. I know they don't like the position they're in but that doesn't change the reality of the matter. Whole thing is super weird to me.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#11 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:55 pm

Guys getting their panties in a bunch here. You all understand how negotiating works? You never get what you don’t ask for… sometimes you don’t get what you ask for either tho. Monday morning quarterbacks chill out and let a don operate.

That said, that was a huge ask. LOL
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Post#12 » by zeebneeb » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:56 pm

bisme37 wrote:I just don't understand what Philly's endgame is. Do they want to win basketball games or win a pettywar? If there was a team that thought Ben was worth 6 firsts a trade would have happened months ago. And the longer this drags on his value goes down if anything, not up. I know they don't like the position they're in but that doesn't change the reality of the matter. Whole thing is super weird to me.
It could very well be as simple as the owner/GM saying "enough is enough". Honestly. Ben Simmons signed a contract, and he either honors it, or sits out and makes no money..
It's one of the few things that fits right now. These insane trade proposals fit with that theory as they can say they are "trying" but even they have to know no one would make that deal(s).

Personally, if that's the case I'm on the side of the owners. Ben signed a contract. Honor it, or lose millions. Tough crap of your feelings are hurt, and by Simmons not playing, he's making it extremely difficult to move him as well.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#13 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Fri Oct 8, 2021 8:05 pm

Simmons for McCollum straight up would be a win for the Sixers
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,284

Post#14 » by Bornstellar » Fri Oct 8, 2021 8:07 pm

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Guys getting their panties in a bunch here. You all understand how negotiating works? You never get what you don’t ask for… sometimes you don’t get what you ask for either tho. Monday morning quarterbacks chill out and let a don operate.

Do you understand how negotiating works? Typically you start high and work downward. You don't start laughably high and barely budge at all despite not having any leverage to bargain with other teams to begin with. Clearly Morey doesn't understand how it works either
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,691

Post#15 » by Zeno » Fri Oct 8, 2021 8:10 pm

bisme37 wrote:I just don't understand what Philly's endgame is. Do they want to win basketball games or win a pettywar? If there was a team that thought Ben was worth 6 firsts a trade would have happened months ago. And the longer this drags on his value goes down if anything, not up. I know they don't like the position they're in but that doesn't change the reality of the matter. Whole thing is super weird to me.

While I agree with you in principle, I also believe that if they are patient enough, someone will do something stupid to bail them out of this situation. A lot of the rumoured interested teams are not particularly sound decision making franchises.

If you were Demar’s agent, you might have advised him to take the taxpayer MLE thinking the money was all dried up. But then the Bulls dropped 85 million on him for being patient.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,569

Post#16 » by JayMKE » Fri Oct 8, 2021 8:12 pm

There isn’t a lot of reason to dump Simmons unless you get what you want in a trade, I think you can force Simmons’ hand into returning from his holdout eventually and I don’t think its possible to tank his value any further
FREE GIANNIS
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,001

Post#17 » by Trey24 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 8:14 pm

I don't think Morey is an idiot, he just isn't willing to give Simmons up for nothing. Is Simmons willing to sit for the remainder of his deal? I think Morey hasn't dropped his price because he thinks Simmons is bluffing with Klutch as a crutch.
leorn
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#18 » by leorn » Fri Oct 8, 2021 8:25 pm

I think this is a new experiment. Player asks out. Team says stick it. These trade proposals are a much bigger message to Ben than other Gms. As a small market fan I hope Morey wins this.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#19 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 8:27 pm

Bornstellar wrote:
IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Guys getting their panties in a bunch here. You all understand how negotiating works? You never get what you don’t ask for… sometimes you don’t get what you ask for either tho. Monday morning quarterbacks chill out and let a don operate.

Do you understand how negotiating works? Typically you start high and work downward. You don't start laughably high and barely budge at all despite not having any leverage to bargain with other teams to begin with. Clearly Morey doesn't understand how it works either

OK, player. You're Daryl Morey. What's your asking price?
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,860

Post#20 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Fri Oct 8, 2021 8:28 pm

Yeah, anyone getting angry at Morey for asking for this doesn't understand negotiation.

I always start high and bring it down 10-20% during negotiations. He can't just walk into a negotation saying "can you throw in a pick to sweeten the deal?".

Ben Simmons is a better player than CJ McCollum. Philly isn't going to trade Ben for nothing.

When you come in asking for this type of package, you end up getting your man plus 2 picks and a swap. Daryl probably wants a player, pick, and a swap at minimum, which is fine in that deal imo.

Portland's picks with Dame and Simmons are going to be 22-25 most likely, which aren't worth that much. If Portland wants to win, they'll happily give 2.

Jrue Holiday got 97 picks and 210 swaps man. This is the new NBA.

Return to The General Board