Are the Warriors contenders?

Moderators: bisme37, Dirk, ken6199, Domejandro, KingDavid, zimpy27, jamaalstar21, Harry Garris, bwgood77, infinite11285

Are the Warriors contenders?

Yes
94
37%
No
160
63%
 
Total votes: 254

JRoy
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,799
And1: 2,567
Joined: Feb 27, 2019
 

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#41 » by JRoy » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:18 pm

If Klay is healthy and their young guys produce, or get moved for win now talent GSW could be in the hunt.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all


I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
cdubbz
RealGM
Posts: 11,784
And1: 2,031
Joined: May 05, 2005
Location: Oakland
 

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#42 » by cdubbz » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:29 pm

Warriors added a ton of role players who can shoot and are versatile. Otto Porter can hit threes, Jordan Poole is looking like he took an offensive leap, Bjelica is a shooter and Looney in the front court is solid.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
WarriorGM
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,631
And1: 2,207
Joined: Aug 19, 2017

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#43 » by WarriorGM » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:32 pm

cdubbz wrote:Warriors added a ton of role players who can shoot and are versatile. Otto Porter can hit threes, Jordan Poole is looking like he took an offensive leap, Bjelica is a shooter and Looney in the front court is solid.



But the Nets aside from KD have Harden, Kyrie, Griffin, Aldridge, Mills, Harris, etc.

The Lakers aside from LeBron have AD, Westbrook, Dwight, Rondo, Jordan, etc.

But yeah since it's Curry we're talking about it's perfectly fair.
taikibansei
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,221
And1: 8,206
Joined: Jul 17, 2008
     

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#44 » by taikibansei » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:47 pm

dockingsched wrote:With so many people saying they’re contenders, I hope that means Curry will be held to the same standard as other superstars if they fail to make a deep playoff run.


It's a hot take thread posted to the General Board during the preseason, and even with all that 63% of respondents think no way they're contenders. I.e., most posters--indeed, most people--do not see them as anything close to contenders.

The 2018-19 Lebron Lakers come to mind when I see their roster. If they had Klay circa 2015-2018, Green circa 2015-17 and a healthy Curry, then yeah, they'd be serious contenders...and Curry would certainly deserve criticism if they weren't. Neither Klay nor Green are anywhere near, say, 2016 form, and there's nobody else on that roster to keep the team afloat if/when Curry goes down with an injury.

I personally think they'll be lucky to make it past the first round of the playoffs--and that's not a knock on Curry by any means.
Cautiously optimistic in Thibs...and in Julius Randle.... :o
nzahir
Head Coach
Posts: 7,133
And1: 3,192
Joined: Nov 04, 2017
 

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#45 » by nzahir » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:47 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
cdubbz wrote:Warriors added a ton of role players who can shoot and are versatile. Otto Porter can hit threes, Jordan Poole is looking like he took an offensive leap, Bjelica is a shooter and Looney in the front court is solid.



But the Nets aside from KD have Harden, Kyrie, Griffin, Aldridge, Mills, Harris, etc.

The Lakers aside from LeBron have AD, Westbrook, Dwight, Rondo, Jordan, etc.

But yeah since it's Curry we're talking about it's perfectly fair.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you trolling?

At least say Nunn

GSW has a solid group, can be a dark horse contender if they do 2 things

1: Trade some group of young guys and picks for a current win now guy
2: Klay is at least 80% on offense around spring time and a neutral/slight positive on D (mostly due to IQ)

Curry, Dray, Klay, OPJ, Wiggins, Looney, Poole, Iggy, Bjelica, and Avery and the young guys (Wiseman and Kuminga hurt sadly, but may help for winning)
The KnicksFix
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,484
And1: 942
Joined: Oct 28, 2011
       

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#46 » by The KnicksFix » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:50 pm

deep team, klay back and curry, with dray, free from having to include KD, yes they are back and contenders
Warriors Analyst
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,054
And1: 1,970
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#47 » by Warriors Analyst » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:54 pm

righterwriter wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
The411 wrote:I brought this up in the Lakers thread. I think the Warriors have the highest ceiling in the West, but that comes with the injury caveat of course.

A lot will hinge on how Wiseman goes this year. If he's improved to say 15 and 8 and shows decent court awareness the Warriors will be difficult to beat.

If healthy, I would want no part of GS come playoff time.


He was the worst player in the nba last year...


lmao...

11/6 in 20mpg on good percentages for a 19 year old basically out of high school in a pandemic season and without SL or training camp.

If you can't see the talent, that's on you.



Wiseman was one of three players in the Kerr era to have a negative net rating in a two man combo with Steph. The Warriors' offense was abominable with Wiseman on the floor and quite good without him. He's very athletic, but that's where his talent ends until he learns how to play the game.
art_tatum
Veteran
Posts: 2,683
And1: 2,262
Joined: Jun 01, 2018
 

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#48 » by art_tatum » Sat Oct 9, 2021 9:35 pm

warriors are going to be the top of the league in 3 point shots. So they will be a good team. Look at what happened.
14-16 pretty much lead the league in attempts.
17-20 middle of the pack, the rest of the league caught up. They only won bc KD was there. Saved kerr. Now they see oh wait we do need to shoot more 3s (cause last year their offense was crap), and here we are in preseason they are chucking.

Kerrs system is overrated look at last year 18 th in offense. Curry carried them, wouldve been 28th in offense. U need to just have good shooters and lead the league in attempts.
They got more shooters got rid of oubre.
Even then their offense will get dragged by iggy and draymond.
I expect them to be top ten tho.
User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,827
And1: 17,062
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
 

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#49 » by FNQ » Sat Oct 9, 2021 9:45 pm

Vegas is usually on the money with these kinds of things, and they have them fairly high up.

Things do have to go right for us for it work out though. All of Curry, Poole and Dray have to stay mostly healthy. Wiggins has to prove last year wasn't a fluke and that he really is that kind of defender going forward. We will need our role players (JTA, OPJ, Bjelica, Lee, Looney) to step up once again. And I think those are mostly safe bets, and if those things happen we should be a 40-50 win team. Where we can really make headway is if Klay comes back at close to 100% during the year, and/or if Kuminga/Moody can carve out roles on this team and be more effective than the people they're replacing. Kuminga probably has a tougher time with that because he's a 4 rn, so he's effectively replacing JTA (broke man's *prime* Iguodala) or OPJ (lights out shooting 3&D stretch 4). Moody on the other hand has to replace Damion Lee, Mychal Mulder, Avery Bradley, and a 38 year old Iguodala, who arguably shouldnt be in the rotation to begin with. Also Moody's BBIQ is really something special for a 19 year old kid, so that gives him a leg up that Kuminga doesnt have - though his BBIQ was massively undersold through the draft process

I'd put our O/U at something like 46-47 wins with good health, with an upside towards 55 if things go really well. Because of Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and maybe Jordan Poole, there is dark horse potential for a championship because we really can beat anyone in any given series with that kind of firepower.

But I also think the Warriors have as wide a range of outcomes as any team in the NBA currently does. If the Warriors won the title, I'd think its about as surprising as a healthy Warriors team missing the playoffs entirely (meaning a bit, but its not like the Wizards or Cavs coming out of nowhere, or the Nets/Bucks/Nuggets outright missing the playoffs)
DCasey91
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,393
And1: 2,684
Joined: Dec 15, 2020
   

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#50 » by DCasey91 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 9:57 pm

No, Green is not near it and it’s a long time between playing for Klay. Klay’s had more injuries than KD. Take another season after this one to be near his best and that’s asking a lot. KD lost mobility, Hayward took a while.
DCasey91
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,393
And1: 2,684
Joined: Dec 15, 2020
   

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#51 » by DCasey91 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 9:59 pm

WarriorGM wrote:Any team with Curry—the greatest player in the game—is a contender. All the naysayers can go post on the "Curry is going to be exposed" thread from last year and give us more good laughs.


What has he done in the past two years? You love Curry so much you can’t admit he has flaws.
DCasey91
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,393
And1: 2,684
Joined: Dec 15, 2020
   

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#52 » by DCasey91 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 10:06 pm

2015:
Curry
Green
Thompson
Barnes
Iguodala
Bogut
Lee
Barbosa
Speights
Livingston

That team kills this one. List is deep with experience and has the top end.

Warriors don’t have the depth or the top end this year they are not contenders.

Since when does teenage rookies (Moody, Kuminga, Wiseman has a long way way to go to be even good) have any impact in the playoffs. They don’t
DCasey91
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,393
And1: 2,684
Joined: Dec 15, 2020
   

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#53 » by DCasey91 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 10:09 pm

_qubik wrote:No they arent, Curry isnt carryinh Klay and Draymond, unless they play close to their 2015 form, even that might not be enough, and I think its too much to expect Klay to be this good out of the gate. They might advance the first round, and thats it for me. GSW and Curry title days are over


See above. The 2015 roster annihilates this one. 2021 has kids, kids don’t have an impact especially as a teenager.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,112
And1: 4,729
Joined: Apr 30, 2013
     

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#54 » by righterwriter » Sat Oct 9, 2021 11:11 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
He was the worst player in the nba last year...


lmao...

11/6 in 20mpg on good percentages for a 19 year old basically out of high school in a pandemic season and without SL or training camp.

If you can't see the talent, that's on you.



Wiseman was one of three players in the Kerr era to have a negative net rating in a two man combo with Steph. The Warriors' offense was abominable with Wiseman on the floor and quite good without him. He's very athletic, but that's where his talent ends until he learns how to play the game.



And you think that made him the worst player in the NBA last year?
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,112
And1: 4,729
Joined: Apr 30, 2013
     

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#55 » by righterwriter » Sat Oct 9, 2021 11:16 pm

FNQ wrote:Vegas is usually on the money with these kinds of things, and they have them fairly high up.

Things do have to go right for us for it work out though. All of Curry, Poole and Dray have to stay mostly healthy. Wiggins has to prove last year wasn't a fluke and that he really is that kind of defender going forward. We will need our role players (JTA, OPJ, Bjelica, Lee, Looney) to step up once again. And I think those are mostly safe bets, and if those things happen we should be a 40-50 win team. Where we can really make headway is if Klay comes back at close to 100% during the year, and/or if Kuminga/Moody can carve out roles on this team and be more effective than the people they're replacing. Kuminga probably has a tougher time with that because he's a 4 rn, so he's effectively replacing JTA (broke man's *prime* Iguodala) or OPJ (lights out shooting 3&D stretch 4). Moody on the other hand has to replace Damion Lee, Mychal Mulder, Avery Bradley, and a 38 year old Iguodala, who arguably shouldnt be in the rotation to begin with. Also Moody's BBIQ is really something special for a 19 year old kid, so that gives him a leg up that Kuminga doesnt have - though his BBIQ was massively undersold through the draft process

I'd put our O/U at something like 46-47 wins with good health, with an upside towards 55 if things go really well. Because of Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and maybe Jordan Poole, there is dark horse potential for a championship because we really can beat anyone in any given series with that kind of firepower.

But I also think the Warriors have as wide a range of outcomes as any team in the NBA currently does. If the Warriors won the title, I'd think its about as surprising as a healthy Warriors team missing the playoffs entirely (meaning a bit, but its not like the Wizards or Cavs coming out of nowhere, or the Nets/Bucks/Nuggets outright missing the playoffs)


I'm not sure Vegas had a good grasp on the Warriors due to the newness of this team. Otto Porter wasn't expected to be a big contributor considering his previous seasons, Bjelica likely was thought of as a barely NBA-level player, and there's no way that they though Jordan Poole would be a 20ppg scorer.

Of course its only preseason, so nothing has been proven when it really matters, but this team is new enough with unexpected players looking excellent so far, and even Vegas can't always see everything.
User avatar
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 38,331
And1: 50,855
Joined: Nov 04, 2010
Location: ▼VII▲VIII
     

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#56 » by Froob » Sat Oct 9, 2021 11:17 pm

I'd lean towards no, how has Klay looked so far?
Image

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.
Warriors Analyst
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,054
And1: 1,970
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#57 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:15 am

righterwriter wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
lmao...

11/6 in 20mpg on good percentages for a 19 year old basically out of high school in a pandemic season and without SL or training camp.

If you can't see the talent, that's on you.



Wiseman was one of three players in the Kerr era to have a negative net rating in a two man combo with Steph. The Warriors' offense was abominable with Wiseman on the floor and quite good without him. He's very athletic, but that's where his talent ends until he learns how to play the game.


And you think that made him the worst player in the NBA last year?


If you sort by players to have played >500 non-garbage time minutes (per Cleaning the Glass), Wiseman had the worst net rating in the entire NBA: -16.9. No other player to receive meaningful minutes for a team that was trying to win games was as bad as Wiseman.
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 22,968
And1: 21,323
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#58 » by mademan » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:17 am

no
User avatar
lars_rosenberg
Analyst
Posts: 3,644
And1: 3,143
Joined: Aug 15, 2014
   

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#59 » by lars_rosenberg » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:21 am

If Jordan Poole plays like an all star, which doesn't look so unlikely at this point, they can be a contender.
Jordan can be the third splash brother and ease Klay's return to the lineup.

Otto Porter and Bjelica are great shooters that look like perfect fits next to Draymond Green.

Wiggins is vaccinated, Moody and Kuming have shown good signs of being able to be rotational players.

They could use a center bigger than Looney to bang with the Jokic and Embiid of the world. Wiseman could be that guy, but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to be a good defender this season.

To sum it all up, I think the Warriors have a chance at the championship if they stay healthy (not obvious for guys like Klay and Otto Porter) and if Wiseman develops into a serviceable rim protector. He doesn't have to be "good", but he should at least be able to slow down other big centers a little bit.
Openheimer
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,936
And1: 1,077
Joined: Dec 01, 2020

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#60 » by Openheimer » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:12 am

Are they beating the Nets or the bucks? No. In the west it’s a toss up

Return to The General Board