Kyrie Irving Megathread: [Latest] NETS Will Not Offer Irving $186M Extension

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Will Kyrie play this season?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 240

septahex
Pro Prospect
And1: 341

Re: Kyrie Irving Megathread: [Latest] NETS Will Not Offer Irving $186M Extension 

Post#821 » by septahex » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 am

NirvanaFC wrote:
pro24 wrote:People are missing the point.

It's Kyrie's body, Kyrie's choice. It's not American or liberal to impose one's morality on another person even if you think he's being stupid.

Look what's happening in Australia. Just look at the history of the world, the history of big government authoritarian regimes that have made life a living hell and genocided people that don't submit to their authority.

If you give an inch to government they will take a mile as it pertains to your civil liberties. This new decade has been straight out of a Dystopian movie script and it will just get worse as marginally more of us blindly follow the State and the more of us, attack anyone who dares to think, do differently.

YES we should all start driving cars drunk as well!! FREEDOM TO DRINK AND DRIVE!
Mandatory 10mph speed limit. No more car accident deaths!
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,028

Re: Kyrie Irving Megathread: [Shams] Kyrie Will Not Play or Practice Until Fully Vaccinated 

Post#822 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 am

jg77 wrote:
SNPA wrote:
SupaManu wrote:Yep of all people i never thought it would be Kyrie Irving standing up to the government in support of the rights and freedoms of the citizens of this country. Give away any rights or freedoms and the government ain’t giving them back. I am fully vaccinated, I’ve received the booster, i strongly recommend to all my patients to get the vaccine, but at the end of the day it should never be forced and kyrie is 100% on the right side of this issue.

No one is being “forced.” Find a single case of an adult in the US being injected by use of force? People are being told certain jobs require it, don’t want it? Ok, there are consequences but someone literally forcing you to get injected isn’t one. You can quit, and get a different job. My understanding is even the military does forcibly inject someone, but there are other consequences.

That is pretty much forcing it. I don't remember any job ever asking if I had a vaccine or not. Telling someone to take a vaccine or lose their livelihood is an ultimatum. It's no easy to find a new job...I'm glad that some people can go job to job without any issues but not everyone is like that.

1. Where have you been where certain jobs and almost all schools required vaccines for decades?
2. This is very similar to people who want to drink and smoke weed. Like cool, go ahead and drink all day. That is your right, but it is also the right of the employer to you to f off because you are endangering other coworkers.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,618

Re: Kyrie Irving Megathread: [Latest] NETS Will Not Offer Irving $186M Extension 

Post#823 » by infinite11285 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:08 am

jg77 wrote:

It's Kyrie's body, Kyrie's choice. It's not American or liberal to impose one's morality on another person even if you think he's being stupid.

Look what's happening in Australia. Just look at the history of the world, the history of big government authoritarian regimes that have made life a living hell and genocided people that don't submit to their authority.

If you give an inch to government they will take a mile as it pertains to your civil liberties. This new decade has been straight out of a Dystopian movie script and it will just get worse as marginally more of us blindly follow the State and the more of us, attack anyone who dares to think, do differently.

Australia is building "quarantine" camps to combat the virus. Not even joking. And some people think that's a good thing. Wake up folks...you're really on the wrong side of history here.

Kyrie seeing the bigger picture.

PM me the source of that information.
SharpyShuffle
Junior
And1: 580

Re: I respect Kyrie for having his beliefs and being his own person 

Post#824 » by SharpyShuffle » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:09 am

Mr Puddles wrote:There's nothing commendable about signing a contract, taking up cap space, and then not honoring said contract because you decided to become a virologist overnight.

Agreed. I think there are some people who feel that Kyrie's charitable acts eclipse everything he does as an NBA player, since charity is important and shows generosity, while the NBA is just a job, and a job in 'entertainment' at that, so it isn't really important.

But you have a large number of people who are putting in a ton of effort to trying to help the Nets win, and only two of them are paid like Kyrie is paid (and let's not forget Kyrie is still getting paid for away games even thouhg he put the team in a pick-your-poison situation about him playing in these games). There's something very immoral IMO about undermining the work of all these people who earn a fraction of what you earn in order to indulge your whims.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Re: Kyrie Irving Megathread: [Shams] Kyrie Will Not Play or Practice Until Fully Vaccinated 

Post#825 » by Pointgod » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:09 am

Joerezz7 wrote:Did any of y’all actually watch Kyrie when he was live on IG or are y’all just reading what reporters are saying on Twitter?

Yes I watched a portion of the IG Live and it was incoherent gibberish. It seems that at the end of the day Kyrie is taking some kind of stand against mandates but if that was really the issue he could ask for a trade to one of the 26 other teams that wouldn’t require a vaccine mandate, oh wait apparently he’d retire if traded. He might as well retire anyways because he’s toxic and no team is going to want to deal with his bs
damanick10
Starter
And1: 3,016

Post#826 » by damanick10 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:10 am

If he wants to ruin his career and not get a championship to not take a vaccine more power to him it's his decision. But he acts like he's some prophet "speaking for the people with no voice" lol give me a break. Dude is whacky as hell but thinks he's some philospher because he buys in to youtube conspiracies.
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#827 » by jg77 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:11 am

infinite11285 wrote:
jg77 wrote:

Australia is building "quarantine" camps to combat the virus. Not even joking. And some people think that's a good thing. Wake up folks...you're really on the wrong side of history here.

Just google it and it should be one of the first things to come up. They're pretty excessive over there. I have kids in Australia and still haven't met my youngest daughter who was born last year because the travel restrictions.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#828 » by Pointgod » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:12 am

infinite11285 wrote:
jg77 wrote:

Let me save you some time. It’s a lie

https://www.aap.com.au/unvaccinated-australians-wont-be-forced-into-isolation-camps/
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#829 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:12 am

Only in 2021 do people support mentally ill people for having their own "beliefs."
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,355

Post#830 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:13 am

So far, he's putting his $$$ where his mouth is.
That's more than we can say for Ben Simmons/Klutch, I guess.
I can see why people find it a noble sentiment, agree with him or not.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#831 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:15 am

Probably the most stupid take in the history of realgm.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#832 » by MrBigShot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:15 am

Kyrie the humanitarian is great. Kyrie the basketball player is absolutely brilliant and a joy to watch.

But he also says and does A LOT of questionable things. His decision to not to get vaccinated, especially given what he has to lose (also just welcomed a baby into the world this year) is crazy to me.

I hate this whole slippery slope thing people are pushing. Vaccine mandates are nothing new, If you want to attend public schools you have to get a myriad of vaccines growing up. Kyrie is not literally being forced to take anything, but he's also not free of the ramifications of that choice. As soon as it became clear he was going to have to get vaccinated to play, he should've requested a trade. Also, NBA players are NOT doctors or scientist. Unless they explain their reasoning, it is almost certain that their "research" or hesitancy in getting the vaccine is fueled by misinformation and conspiracy theories. If they actually want to look at data and speak to experts it wouldn't be difficult for them to do so.

Don't think for a second Kyrie would be doing this if he didn't have personal fears about the vaccine. Being upset over people losing their jobs is just a facade. He just came off a 27/6/5 season on 50/40/90 and no team even wants to trade for him because he is so astronomically volatile.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#833 » by jg77 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:16 am

Pointgod wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
jg77 wrote:

https://www.aap.com.au/unvaccinated-australians-wont-be-forced-into-isolation-camps/

Nobody said they were forcing people into them:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/world/australia/howard-springs-quarantine.html
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,971

Post#834 » by Domejandro » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:16 am

EliteSmarts wrote:I know there's Kyrie megathread but over 30 pages. I feel it's better to make seprate threads when new information arrives instead of sifting through pages after pages.

No disrespect meant, but the entire point of the mega-thread is so that we don't have more threads opened. The forum gets incredibly cluttered when we do not crack down on maintaining the mega-threads. Because of that, I have merged the thread (which I assume is preferable to closing it).
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,204

Post#835 » by Mamba81p » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:16 am

I watched the entire video and it's typical Kyrie. 20 mins of BS. A lot of his sentences don't make sense, just a bunch of "smart" words, but put together make you scratch your head.

He needs more time to think? He had months to think and research.

If it's true that he is not going to retire, then he will probably be traded very soon, but it's very hard to believe anything he says.

He says he isn't anti-vax but the vaccine was available way before the mandate, so this whole mandate excuse is just that, an excuse.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#836 » by infinite11285 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:18 am

Domejandro wrote:
EliteSmarts wrote:I know there's Kyrie megathread but over 30 pages. I feel it's better to make seprate threads when new information arrives instead of sifting through pages after pages.

No disrespect meant, but the entire point of the mega-thread is so that we don't have more threads opened. The forum gets incredibly cluttered when we do not crack down on maintaining the mega-threads. Because of that, I have merged the thread (which I assume is preferable to closing it).

To add, I've updated the Thread Title several times in an effort of providing the latest info pertinent to league matters.
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,366

Post#837 » by Tottery » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:20 am

Why would they offer him a max after all he has done? I imagine the lack of trust organizations have in him will prevent him from gaining money he could have before all of this. Oh well. It's on him and the freedom of choice he has.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,244

Post#838 » by SNPA » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:22 am

jg77 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/world/australia/howard-springs-quarantine.html

Ehh…it’s implied with a historically loaded term like camps and wrong side of history.

Again, if you don’t want to go through Australia COVID protocol it is easily avoided by not flying to the island of Australia at peaks of a pandemic. This is all straight forward stuff.

But here’s the part that takes two steps to understand. It is the people refusing the vaccine and supporting parties that ban vaccine requirements that prolong the pandemic and make quarantine measures necessary. Irony died on this hill.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#839 » by Pointgod » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:23 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:Lol at the "wrong side of history" crowd. The pandemic has killed 740k people in the US and 5 million worldwide. Do people seriously believe that decades from now, people are going to look back on this time period and honor those who were fired because they wouldn't get vaccinated?

It’s laughable on its face when you think about it. What do they think is going to happen? Covid cases, deaths and hospitalizations will go down as vaccinations rates go up. Mandates have been proven to work. Do they believe all of a sudden people are going to be like “oh no we saved a ton of lives! Mandates were a horrible idea”. History will look at the loud antivaxxers the same way we look at the followers of Jim Jones, susceptible people that were duped by conmen and charlatans.

Imagine if there was a vaccine for the Black Plague, but half of Europe was like nope! I’m sure there are millions of people who would have loved to have taken a vaccine for small pox or polio or many of viruses that don’t turn pandemic because of *drum roll* vaccinations. We may be living in possibly the dumbest period in history.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#840 » by infinite11285 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:23 am

jg77 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:

But you did say the Australian government was building quarantine camps to "combat the virus", which is completely different than constructing a quarantine hub for travelers to be held before being cleared to enter the country. Regardless, let's get back to Kyrie and how his holdout impacts the NBA. My PM is open if either of you want to discuss the Australia claim further.

Return to The General Board