Do you think the Nets can still win the title if Kyrie doesn’t return this season?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Do you think the Nets can still win the title if Kyrie doesn’t return this season?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 206

Rodwilliams
Bench Warmer
And1: 962

Post#1 » by Rodwilliams » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:10 pm

They went from a super team to a team that’s now beatable due to the loss of Kyrie. I don’t know if they can win the title now. They will be a top 4 seed yes but not sure if they have enough. They will have a tough battle with teams like the Lakers and Bucks without no Kyrie.
Harry Garris wrote: Curry can turn non playoff teams into title contenders.

Not if the team doesn’t have elite defenders[/quote]
What a pointless statement.Every Finals team had elite role players[/quote]
Rodwilliams wrote:Duh!Thats what I just said. Eat your own words
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,473

Re: Do you think the Nets can still win the title if Kyrie doesn’t return this season? 

Post#2 » by Harry Garris » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:11 pm

Yes but their margin for error is smaller. They're going to need KD and Harden to stay healthy and get another great season out of their bench guys.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Re: Do you think the Nets can still win the title if Kyrie doesn’t return this season? 

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:14 pm

Yes, but it won’t matter because Kyrie will get the vaccine.

Whether it’s reporting to a team you feel disrespected by, bowing to China, or getting the vaccine… NBA players are the biggest hypocrites when it comes to standing up for something. Once it affects their paychecks, it’s back to yes sir/no sir
FIRE JASON KIDD
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,025

Post#4 » by Ben-N1ce » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:15 pm

Nope
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Post#5 » by Dominator83 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:15 pm

Yes. They still have 2 legit superstars with a deep cast of role players
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,091

Post#6 » by art_tatum » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:18 pm

Without kyrie its not a superteam but still a top contending team. Favorites with bucks to come out the east.

Its not just about the subtraction of kyrie but also the lack of replacement for his salary since he wont be traded.

Anyways hes already walking back his stances. So hes coming back for the $$$
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#7 » by JShuttlesworth » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:19 pm

It's possible.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,930

Post#8 » by zimpy27 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:19 pm

Yeah it's possible still
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,548

Post#9 » by Capn'O » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:29 pm

They're absolutely a contender.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,284

Post#10 » by Bornstellar » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:32 pm

They have two MVP level players and a great roster. Them having Kyrie was just complete overkill. Now it's just slightly unfair instead of ridiculously lopsided
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,776

Post#11 » by jc23 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:34 pm

It would depend if they get any return, but even if he just retire they are still a contender, just not the clear favorite. im sure the other top teams hope kyrie retires.
Be curious, Not judgmental
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#12 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:48 pm

KD is KD, but I need to see if Harden can stay on the floor:
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,557

Post#13 » by ken6199 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:59 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:KD is KD, but I need to see if Harden can stay on the floor:

Thought the latest impression is KD playing 48 mins+OT singled handedly dragging this Nets team against the Bucks while Harden was on hobbled legs, history actually indicates Harden has been more robust throughout his career than KD (who also had an injury that is career altering for lot of players).

Harden's hamstring is just based on his load, and that's my biggest concern if Kyrie is out.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,941

Post#14 » by Wallace_Wallace » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:00 pm

I actually think they'd be better. Harden and KD will work just fine and there will be less chemistry issues.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,659

Post#15 » by Jadoogar » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 pm

Yes. They have 2 MVP caliber players and a deceptively deep team. They won't be extreme heavy favourites like they are now but they would still be my pick for the championship
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#16 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:05 pm

ken6199 wrote:

Thought the latest impression is KD playing 48 mins+OT singled handedly dragging this Nets team against the Bucks while Harden was on hobbled legs, history actually indicates Harden has been more robust throughout his career than KD (who also had an injury that is career altering for lot of players).

Harden's hamstring is just based on his load, and that's my biggest concern if Kyrie is out.

I know you don't want to read too much into preseason games, but while KD looked like KD against the Sixers, Harden resembled the out-of-shape, non-MVP-level player that he looked like when he played last season.

I will reserve judgement until Harden is closer to the player he was in Houston.
picko
Starter
And1: 3,408

Post#17 » by picko » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:53 pm

Yes, they almost defeated the eventual champions with Durant and an hobbled Harden. If both are fit then I'd still have them as favourites to make the finals, with or without Kyrie.

What the loss of Kyrie does is reduce their margin for error. When you have three stars you can lose one and still be a really effective team. When you have two stars and you lose one it generally becomes much more difficult. Given the injury histories of Durant and Harden you'd obviously be concerned about their ability to get through four rounds of the playoffs unscathed.
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#18 » by Openheimer » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:55 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:
ken6199 wrote:

I know you don't want to read too much into preseason games, but while KD looked like KD against the Sixers, Harden resembled the out-of-shape, non-MVP-level player that he looked like when he played last season.

I will reserve judgement until Harden is closer to the player he was in Houston.

WTF ? Harden before he busted his hamstring was certifiably an mvp candidate. WTF are you talking about? He was head to head with Jokic as the MVp favorite
LegendOfSalmons
Senior
And1: 1,201

Post#19 » by LegendOfSalmons » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:00 am

Sure, it's possible. Will they do it though? No. Harden has proven year in and year out that he's a liability in the playoffs and chokes when it matters most. Kyrie and KD are both proven killers but without Kyrie that means they have to rely that much more on Harden which doesn't bode well for the Nets.
KootenayRapFan
Sophomore
And1: 296

Post#20 » by KootenayRapFan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:20 am

Funny...this has just made me into a Nets fan....would love to see them win it all without that him.

Return to The General Board