Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"?

Moderators: bisme37, Dirk, ken6199, Domejandro, KingDavid, zimpy27, jamaalstar21, Harry Garris, bwgood77, infinite11285

User avatar
Romeiro Celtic
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,294
And1: 5,300
Joined: Jan 04, 2017
Location: Brazil
     

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#41 » by Romeiro Celtic » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:44 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
Else_where wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:It doesn't bother me but it's unnecessary in American football because it has next to no global presence. But in the NBA and MLB it's more accurate to say they are world champions because they are global sports, it's just that all the best international players from around the world play in a league that is centralized to North America.

I get what you are saying but i wouldn't call baseball a global sports yet, they are far from it imo. I can't even name 1 European country that has baseball even as a Top 10 sport.


Baseball isn't very popular in Europe or Africa but it's played pretty much everywhere else in the world. It's very popular in east Asia and central and south America. If you want to say a global sport has to be popular everywhere in the world... then there's only one truly global sport.


Baseball is popular only in Venezuela and some parts of Colombia, everywhere else is basically football (soccer for you guys). Basketball is much more popular here.
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 28,749
And1: 13,178
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#42 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:45 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
How is this even an argument. Anyone can and do play for BArcelona. Liverpool etc. too, in fact teams like Barcelona remain far more international than any NBA team, so if Barcelona win their league, why arent they World champions, but team that represent Milwaukee is? WTF are you even smoking? :lol:


Because they're in a lesser league. We don't have the college champions play the nba champions to figure out the best team either. Unless there's some debate as to which league is the best, which there isn't....then the nba champion is the world champion.


You can live in that fantasy, but its just technically incorrect, but only in the USA, this happens. Premier league is strongest league too, also far more international than NBA, but they dont call themselves world champions. Hell, even Champions league champions do not call themselves world champions, even though everyone knows its by far the best league, they call themselves European champions however, because thats who they are. But 'Merica tho :lol:

You just jump from one ludicrous argument to the next. At first you seeemed to believe that only AMerican clubs have lots of international players, which is cute, now you jump back on classic NBA is da best argument grasping for cliche straw. It doesnt matter that we dont need games to prove NBA teams are the best, but sorry that doesnt make you world champion. English and Spanish soccer teams do not need to play against 100 times crapier in comparison Latvian teams to prove they are better, but they still do and thats what makes them European champions at the end when they win Champions league, end of story.

Basketball clubs simply do not have world championship, so such thing as world champion basketball club doesnt exist. No one is doubting that if such world championship would exist, NBA teams would dominate, but such thing simply doesnt exist.


I never thought the nba was more international than the lower tier leagues. I never implied that. I stated that the nba is not a national league despite the dated name. It is a global organization. I know little about soccer but my understanding is there isn't a fixed set of top tier teams that complete in the same league year to year and only play each other. it's just a different system as I understand it and thus it doesn't have the level of dominance.

It might not be done elsewhere, but if you have a clear league that is the dominate league with a fixed group of teams...you're the world champ.

And again where a team plays isn't relevant.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
Posts: 7,043
And1: 2,288
Joined: Dec 14, 2007
Location: Chicago

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#43 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:47 pm

It didn't until Al Gore invented the internets and we all got the ability to see that they play some pretty good basketball around the globe.

Then again we have won a bunch of gold medals with our NBA players - so theoretically our players should beat any other league.
But that gap has narrowed and we've not won every medal.

and some of those other countries squads are loaded with fellow NBA players, so that evens the odds.

I don't want another tournament to decide it.

It also messes up the QUEEN song they play during the montage if we don't claim the WORLD part.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 28,749
And1: 13,178
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#44 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Romeiro Celtic wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
Else_where wrote:I get what you are saying but i wouldn't call baseball a global sports yet, they are far from it imo. I can't even name 1 European country that has baseball even as a Top 10 sport.


Baseball isn't very popular in Europe or Africa but it's played pretty much everywhere else in the world. It's very popular in east Asia and central and south America. If you want to say a global sport has to be popular everywhere in the world... then there's only one truly global sport.


Baseball is popular only in Venezuela and some parts of Colombia, everywhere else is basically football (soccer for you guys). Basketball is much more popular here.


Dominican republic and cuba are huge baseball countries, bigger than those two. It's also pretty popular as I understand it in Panama.
rzzzzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,722
And1: 1,202
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
 

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#45 » by rzzzzz » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:49 pm

Taiwan used to send their national team over here to dominate the Little League championship. (There were issues.)
kcbworth
Ballboy
Posts: 26
And1: 29
Joined: Feb 18, 2019

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#46 » by kcbworth » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:12 pm

It is stupid, agree OP
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 20,307
And1: 17,624
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#47 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:13 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
I never thought the nba was more international than the lower tier leagues. I never implied that. I stated that the nba is not a national league despite the dated name. It is a global organization. I know little about soccer but my understanding is there isn't a fixed set of top tier teams that complete in the same league year to year and only play each other. it's just a different system as I understand it and thus it doesn't have the level of dominance.

It might not be done elsewhere, but if you have a clear league that is the dominate league with a fixed group of teams...you're the world champ.

And again where a team plays isn't relevant.


Ok, I see your argument, but I disagree, you can't convince me that somehow 29 AMerican cities and 1 Canadian city represent the world.
Image
User avatar
ItsDanger
RealGM
Posts: 10,993
And1: 7,419
Joined: Nov 01, 2008

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#48 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:18 pm

Else_where wrote:and to make a broader point, likewise MLB, NHL and NFL champions are usually called World Champions for the reason that they are clearly stringest leagues for those specific sports and have the best athletes in those leagues than any other domestic league of that sport.

But, it's ignorant and arrogant imo calling world champions simply because it's a domestic competition (In some cases, USA+Canada) so no other country is taking part. So, calling it World Champions when there are dozens of leagues of thosr sports out there not even taking part is simply delusional.

I don't even care if there were only 2 countries in the world. New Zealand and let's say rest of the world was called "USA", it would still be narrow minded to call World Champions unless they face a champion team from New Zealand every season.

NHL does not refer to the winner as world champions. Its all about the Cup. I don't know how ESPN/TNT will frame it.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
tbhawksfan1
Starter
Posts: 2,109
And1: 1,129
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#49 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:29 pm

It's really just because alot of Americains are bad at English and can't comprehend the word; world
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 28,749
And1: 13,178
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#50 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:30 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
I never thought the nba was more international than the lower tier leagues. I never implied that. I stated that the nba is not a national league despite the dated name. It is a global organization. I know little about soccer but my understanding is there isn't a fixed set of top tier teams that complete in the same league year to year and only play each other. it's just a different system as I understand it and thus it doesn't have the level of dominance.

It might not be done elsewhere, but if you have a clear league that is the dominate league with a fixed group of teams...you're the world champ.

And again where a team plays isn't relevant.


Ok, I see your argument, but I disagree, you can't convince me that somehow 29 AMerican cities and 1 Canadian city represent the world.


I'm still struggling with this. The cities don't mean a damn thing. That happens to be where the teams play. Logistically, it's going to be really hard to find a way to add teams or move teams to other countries, but that's absolutely something the league wants. But where you play doesn't matter. The whole city and location stuff mattered 50 years ago. Today the vast majority of viewers are on tv at home. Where they play just doesn't matter outside of time zones and that's a pain even for people in the US because we have so many time zones.
User avatar
whitehops
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,407
And1: 4,158
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
     

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#51 » by whitehops » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:37 pm

i agree they shouldn't be called world champions, but they aren't really that much these days are they? literally all NBA apparel says "2021 NBA Champions" or whatever and i'm pretty sure silver announces them as champions of the nba season or something like that.

some people might say it out of habit but the NBA's stance is definitely that they are league champions.
User avatar
Jadoogar
General Manager
Posts: 8,175
And1: 7,246
Joined: May 06, 2010
   

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#52 » by Jadoogar » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:38 pm

not at all. would the NBA champion destroy any other team in the world?
User avatar
Parataxis
Head Coach
Posts: 6,539
And1: 3,047
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
Location: Penticton, BC
       

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#53 » by Parataxis » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:40 pm

I think it's silly and fairly US-centric, but it doesn't 'bother' me in any real sense of the word.

NB: MLB are not called World Champions for the reason that they have the best atheletes or anything like that. They're called the World Champions because The World newspaper sponsored their title series (the World Series) and they're the champions of that. It has nothing to do with the planet.

Else_where wrote:and to make a broader point, likewise MLB, NHL and NFL champions are usually called World Champions for the reason that they are clearly stringest leagues for those specific sports and have the best athletes in those leagues than any other domestic league of that sport.

But, it's ignorant and arrogant imo calling world champions simply because it's a domestic competition (In some cases, USA+Canada) so no other country is taking part. So, calling it World Champions when there are dozens of leagues of thosr sports out there not even taking part is simply delusional.

I don't even care if there were only 2 countries in the world. New Zealand and let's say rest of the world was called "USA", it would still be narrow minded to call World Champions unless they face a champion team from New Zealand every season.
JujitsuFlip
Junior
Posts: 440
And1: 315
Joined: Sep 10, 2021

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#54 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:50 pm

No, NBA has the best collection of talent. There is no other team/club/squad in the world that can beat the NBA champs in a 7 game series, using American rules. Hence, world champs.
User avatar
Canadian6ersFan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,957
And1: 4,246
Joined: Jun 24, 2008
 

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#55 » by Canadian6ersFan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:54 pm

Yep, it's silly. You're not champions of the world if you win the title. You're NBA champions.
Kobe Bryant: - “We all should be fortunate that Allen Iverson was not 6’5”
User avatar
KyRo23
Starter
Posts: 2,199
And1: 5,376
Joined: May 07, 2017
   

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#56 » by KyRo23 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:56 pm

Not as much as it bothered me when Stern would say "ChamPEENS"
dickfox
Junior
Posts: 359
And1: 307
Joined: Apr 13, 2019
       

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#57 » by dickfox » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:11 pm

It's the best basketball league in the world so it should be "world champions".
old skool
Head Coach
Posts: 6,533
And1: 2,165
Joined: Jul 07, 2005
Location: Chi

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#58 » by old skool » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:17 pm

It doesn't bother me at all.

It doesn't bother me that there is a World Cup in soccer, when there are thousands of soccer teams that are not eligible to compete.

Clearly the NBA Finals winner is the NBA league champion. Does anyone not understand that? No one thinks that teams from the NCAA or FIBA or China or YMCA or G-League or WNBA are eligible.

Quibbling over the semantics is childish. Being bothered by a slogan is childish when everyone understands the connotation behind the slogan.
hoosierdaddy34
Analyst
Posts: 3,519
And1: 3,053
Joined: Dec 05, 2016
 

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#59 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:23 pm

They are clearly the best teams and players in the world. They already get all of the worlds best players, who travel from their home country just to play in the association. No organization outside the NBA has any sort of claim to the notion they are world champions over the nba so no, I have no problem with it.
ACMFFL
Junior
Posts: 425
And1: 335
Joined: Jan 19, 2020
Location: Milan, Italy
   

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#60 » by ACMFFL » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:24 pm

dickfox wrote:It's the best basketball league in the world so it should be "world champions".


By that logic the UEFA Champions League winner should claim the title of world champion just because the UCL is the best football league in the world..
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."

Return to The General Board