Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,529

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#101 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:29 pm

Hogesy wrote:
Else_where wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:It doesn't bother me but it's unnecessary in American football because it has next to no global presence. But in the NBA and MLB it's more accurate to say they are world champions because they are global sports, it's just that all the best international players from around the world play in a league that is centralized to North America.

I get what you are saying but i wouldn't call baseball a global sports yet, they are far from it imo. I can't even name 1 European country that has baseball even as a Top 10 sport.

Reading all these just shows the arrogance and ignorance of the Americans. For example baseball is massive is Japan but your whole world only revolves around good ol 'Merica that is all you know. Ice Hockey is massive in Europe and so is basketball. Look at the Olympics, if you took KD out of that team then the gold would have gone to Lithuania or Spain or Australia or who knows. That's because basketball exists in these countries and its normally a decent standard. To call yourselves "World Champions" is just laughable

There is almost no chance any poster here, and certainly not an american one isn't aware of the popularity of baseball in Japan. So unless you think Japan is in Europe...that seems like an unneeded comment to lead with.
ElodyTamTam
Junior
And1: 329

Post#102 » by ElodyTamTam » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:44 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:ahhh another unsubtle thread bashing America. You guys not tired of this yet?

Muricans bitching about people bashing their country LOL! If that isn't the pinnacle of hypocrisy I don't know what is.

Besides, nothing wrong with bashing world's #1 terrorist nation.

The last comment is a clear attempt at derailing the conversation. Please refrain from doing that.
-Harry
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,828

Post#103 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:46 pm

ElodyTamTam wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:ahhh another unsubtle thread bashing America. You guys not tired of this yet?

Muricans bitching about people bashing their country LOL! If that isn't the pinnacle of hypocrisy I don't know what is.

Besides, nothing wrong with bashing world's #1 terrorist nation.

If you want to criticize the United States about something that matters and in an appropriate setting knock yourself out. I'm a critic myself.

If people want to complain about NBA teams calling themselves World Champions and pin that as a great sin of America, someone is doing some silly "bitching" but its not me.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
dabonett
Senior
And1: 365

Post#104 » by dabonett » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:57 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Shane Larkin won an MVP in Europe...so yeah, calling the NBA champion 'world champions' seems pretty correct to me.

Fiba rules or nba rules? Not so fast
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#105 » by whitehops » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:10 pm

gottamakeit wrote:
whitehops wrote:i agree they shouldn't be called world champions, but they aren't really that much these days are they? literally all NBA apparel says "2021 NBA Champions" or whatever and i'm pretty sure silver announces them as champions of the nba season or something like that.

some people might say it out of habit but the NBA's stance is definitely that they are league champions.

https://www.nba.com/resources/static/team/v2/celtics/media/history-championships-970x442.jpg
check out the lettering on the rings too: https://www.si.com/nba/2016/04/15/nba-championship-rings-through-years#gid=ci02554d8390032580&pid=2011-12-miami-heat

The phrase "World Champions" is definitely still used

neeever mind. the old banners are understandable to keep up because they're history but making new rings/banners with world champions on it is just wrong.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,945

Post#106 » by stillgotgame » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:14 pm

And now, you're World Champion Milwaukee Bucks! Has a nice ring to it.

Star of the team is from Greece, with Nigerian parents. That fits pretty well too for World Champions.

A league where someone as butter soft as Nikola Mirotic becomes a star after he couldn't take the pressure of the NBA playoffs- Charmin soft league right there.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Hogesy
Sophomore
And1: 145

Post#107 » by Hogesy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:43 pm

The title of this thread is 'world' champions not 'European' champions hence why I used another country in the world. I could have used Cuba or any other South American country. The point still stands that to call yourselves world champions when there is no world competition is just arrogant. Soccer/football is probably the closest we get to a world champion but even then for club sides its still really only European or Asian or concaf champion.

And yes I get what you are saying and you were right probably shouldn't have quoted yours for my example so sorry about that.

dhsilv2 wrote:
Hogesy wrote:
Else_where wrote:I get what you are saying but i wouldn't call baseball a global sports yet, they are far from it imo. I can't even name 1 European country that has baseball even as a Top 10 sport.

Reading all these just shows the arrogance and ignorance of the Americans. For example baseball is massive is Japan but your whole world only revolves around good ol 'Merica that is all you know. Ice Hockey is massive in Europe and so is basketball. Look at the Olympics, if you took KD out of that team then the gold would have gone to Lithuania or Spain or Australia or who knows. That's because basketball exists in these countries and its normally a decent standard. To call yourselves "World Champions" is just laughable

There is almost no chance any poster here, and certainly not an american one isn't aware of the popularity of baseball in Japan. So unless you think Japan is in Europe...that seems like an unneeded comment to lead with.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,967

Post#108 » by thebigbird » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:24 pm

Hogesy wrote:The title of this thread is 'world' champions not 'European' champions hence why I used another country in the world. I could have used Cuba or any other South American country. The point still stands that to call yourselves world champions when there is no world competition is just arrogant. Soccer/football is probably the closest we get to a world champion but even then for club sides its still really only European or Asian or concaf champion.

And yes I get what you are saying and you were right probably shouldn't have quoted yours for my example so sorry about that.

dhsilv2 wrote:
Hogesy wrote:

The ‘world’ competition comes from the competition for roster spots. The best players throughout the world compete for spots in the NBA. The guys who can’t make it go to other leagues. You can’t possibly believe there’s a non-NBA team out there that would win a series against the NBA champion.
Junior
And1: 379

Post#109 » by 2020 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:31 pm

Does it bother you that the NBA is better than the rest of the world?
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#110 » by _qubik » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:31 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Else_where wrote:and to make a broader point, likewise MLB, NHL and NFL champions are usually called World Champions for the reason that they are clearly stringest leagues for those specific sports and have the best athletes in those leagues than any other domestic league of that sport.

But, it's ignorant and arrogant imo calling world champions simply because it's a domestic competition (In some cases, USA+Canada) so no other country is taking part. So, calling it World Champions when there are dozens of leagues of thosr sports out there not even taking part is simply delusional.

I don't even care if there were only 2 countries in the world. New Zealand and let's say rest of the world was called "USA", it would still be narrow minded to call World Champions unless they face a champion team from New Zealand every season.

What does the country have to do with any of this? The NBA is an international league that just so happens to be played in two countries. Location of where teams play has nothing to do with anything. The league is made up of the best players from around the world.

Having the best players in the world, make it the greatest national league, doesnt matter if you are the undisputed best team on paper, if you dont beat teams from other continents that previously won continental leagues, than you arent world champion. Pretty simples. My Brazil national team was the greatest undisputed for quite a long period, still we needed to play against the lesser teams in south america to classify to the world cup
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Post#111 » by RRyder823 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:29 pm

If life is so boring for you that this is an actual point of contention worthy of more then two seconds of your time then God damn you must be living good

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Hogesy
Sophomore

Post#112 » by Hogesy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:33 pm

thebigbird wrote:
Hogesy wrote:The title of this thread is 'world' champions not 'European' champions hence why I used another country in the world. I could have used Cuba or any other South American country. The point still stands that to call yourselves world champions when there is no world competition is just arrogant. Soccer/football is probably the closest we get to a world champion but even then for club sides its still really only European or Asian or concaf champion.

dhsilv2 wrote:

The ‘world’ competition comes from the competition for roster spots. The best players throughout the world compete for spots in the NBA. The guys who can’t make it go to other leagues. You can’t possibly believe there’s a non-NBA team out there that would win a series against the NBA champion.

Doesn't matter what I believe, until it happens they can only be classed as North American champions not World champions. But hey being a North American champion is still pretty decent achievement.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,861

Post#113 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:04 am

dude, get a job or a girlfriend.

S4 for trolling.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#114 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:08 am

No more than Miss Universe really being Miss Earth

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Hogesy
Sophomore

Post#115 » by Hogesy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:22 am

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:dude, get a job or a girlfriend.

Seriously mate that it offend you so much that someone has a difference in opinion. Look at the title of the thread, it asked if we are bothered by the NBA winners being called World champions. So for me I don't agree with it for the reasons I have outlined. And others agree and that's totally fine as well. It's the exact same reason why I thought world series of baseball is also stupid when they are all North American teams. Its not a world series it's an American series. I hope one day you can accept difference of opinion as its kinda refreshing to have different views on subjects like this
Badbobby
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#116 » by Badbobby » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:33 am

It just makes me cringe every time it’s mentioned. It’s so American.

It’s the NATIONAL Basketball Association, not the WORLD Basketball Association
Jossten
Freshman
And1: 61

Post#117 » by Jossten » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:34 am

It keeps me up at night.
fishfuego.
General Manager
And1: 8,594

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions 

Post#118 » by fishfuego. » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:35 am

KuruptedCav wrote:No more than Miss Universe really being Miss Earth

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

lol seriously.
I consider the NBA the World's best, therefore in my book the champion is the World Champion.
Badbobby
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#119 » by Badbobby » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:41 am

I’m actually pretty sure the world championship is where the world champion is crowned
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,512

Post#120 » by azcatz11 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:46 am

Hogesy wrote:
TheDavinciCHODE wrote:dude, get a job or a girlfriend.

Seriously mate that it offend you so much that someone has a difference in opinion. Look at the title of the thread, it asked if we are bothered by the NBA winners being called World champions. So for me I don't agree with it for the reasons I have outlined. And others agree and that's totally fine as well. It's the exact same reason why I thought world series of baseball is also stupid when they are all North American teams. Its not a world series it's an American series. I hope one day you can accept difference of opinion as its kinda refreshing to have different views on subjects like this

It's OP's second foray into this subject...DavinciCHODE is onto something

Return to The General Board