Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"?

Moderators: bisme37, Dirk, ken6199, Domejandro, KingDavid, zimpy27, jamaalstar21, Harry Garris, bwgood77, infinite11285

thebigbird
Head Coach
Posts: 6,154
And1: 16,979
Joined: Jul 11, 2018
 

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#21 » by thebigbird » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:49 pm

No. Why would it? The NBA is the best basketball league in the world. The best players in the world play in the NBA. We just won the gold medal despite sending our JV team. It makes sense to call the champion the world champion.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 28,749
And1: 13,178
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#22 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:51 pm

Tukkerwolf wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Tukkerwolf wrote:
Typically that is determined on a court or pitch and not by words.
I understand what you mean, but it is pretty weird to call yourself world champion when you haven't played anyone from another continent.


What do you mean? What team is made up from players from only one continent? What team in the nba isn't international?


Ok, maybe there is a different interpretation of the meaning of World Champion in Northern America and the rest of the world.

Outside of N.A. the amount of international players doesn't determine that title, but actual sport matches between teams competing from the whole world. A team consisting of a 20 Japanese Sumo wrestlers team can become World Champions as long as the competition is open to all teams of the world. The NBA title isn't winnable for Real Madrid, so by non-Northern American definition the NBA title can't be a World Champion title.


So because my high school team couldn't play against the nba champ they aren't a world champion? Sure they're in the US but they aren't in the same league. Real Madrid isn't an nba franchise. Those aren't nba players. And they're not good enough to get into the nba just like a high school team.
turnmeup88
Sophomore
Posts: 171
And1: 170
Joined: Jul 12, 2016
         

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#23 » by turnmeup88 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:51 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
So, most of the times in every other league, MVPs and champions are foreigners, doesnt make them world champions of any kind, calling yourself world champion for winning a national league is just technically incorrect, the worst kind of incorrect.


In terms of sports, what does 'nation' even mean here?

If you build a group of teams with the absolute best players from around the world with by far the biggest and best budget...why does location of where the games are played factor into anything?


No one is arguing that NBA has strongets teams or that NBA champion isnt a strongest team, but to be world champions, you need to beat opponents and representatives from the entire world, NBA is not world championship, so their champions arent world champions and thats facs.



To be World Champions in theory, you would need to win a tournament where all teams one way or another have access to play.

The World Cup has qualifiers for every nation in the World.
The Winner of the Champions League, is by far the best team in the world outside of Europe, however they are only named World Champions if they win the world championships which includes the winners of other continents.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 28,749
And1: 13,178
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#24 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:53 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
So, most of the times in every other league, MVPs and champions are foreigners, doesnt make them world champions of any kind, calling yourself world champion for winning a national league is just technically incorrect, the worst kind of incorrect.


In terms of sports, what does 'nation' even mean here?

If you build a group of teams with the absolute best players from around the world with by far the biggest and best budget...why does location of where the games are played factor into anything?


No one is arguing that NBA has strongets teams or that NBA champion isnt a strongest team, but to be world champions, you need to beat opponents and representatives from the entire world, NBA is not world championship, so their champions arent world champions and thats facs.


Why aren't they represented by the world? This is what I don't get. What makes the bucks not an international team? Anyone in the world can play for the bucks. Absolutely zero restrictions to play for them for any person alive.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 20,307
And1: 17,624
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#25 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:55 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
In terms of sports, what does 'nation' even mean here?

If you build a group of teams with the absolute best players from around the world with by far the biggest and best budget...why does location of where the games are played factor into anything?


No one is arguing that NBA has strongets teams or that NBA champion isnt a strongest team, but to be world champions, you need to beat opponents and representatives from the entire world, NBA is not world championship, so their champions arent world champions and thats facs.


Why aren't they represented by the world? This is what I don't get. What makes the bucks not an international team? Anyone in the world can play for the bucks. Absolutely zero restrictions to play for them for any person alive.


How is this even an argument. Anyone can and do play for BArcelona. Liverpool etc. too, in fact teams like Barcelona remain far more international than any NBA team, so if Barcelona win their league, why arent they World champions, but team that represent Milwaukee is? WTF are you even smoking? :lol:
Image
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 28,749
And1: 13,178
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#26 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:56 pm

turnmeup88 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
In terms of sports, what does 'nation' even mean here?

If you build a group of teams with the absolute best players from around the world with by far the biggest and best budget...why does location of where the games are played factor into anything?


No one is arguing that NBA has strongets teams or that NBA champion isnt a strongest team, but to be world champions, you need to beat opponents and representatives from the entire world, NBA is not world championship, so their champions arent world champions and thats facs.



To be World Champions in theory, you would need to win a tournament where all teams one way or another have access to play.

The World Cup has qualifiers for every nation in the World.
The Winner of the Champions League, is by far the best team in the world outside of Europe, however they are only named World Champions if they win the world championships which includes the winners of other continents.


But when you talk national teams, you're talking about teams with restrictions to who can play for the teams. Thus why nobody puts these international (national) teams on the same level as professional teams. They're too limiting. And while maybe a us national team would win the nba title. It makes no sense to chose a "world" champion when each team can't pull players from the whole world.
TravisScott55
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,782
And1: 2,330
Joined: Aug 23, 2017
   

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#27 » by TravisScott55 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:01 pm

LOL what?
Tukkerwolf
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,916
And1: 1,351
Joined: Nov 07, 2014
 

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#28 » by Tukkerwolf » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:01 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Tukkerwolf wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
What do you mean? What team is made up from players from only one continent? What team in the nba isn't international?


Ok, maybe there is a different interpretation of the meaning of World Champion in Northern America and the rest of the world.

Outside of N.A. the amount of international players doesn't determine that title, but actual sport matches between teams competing from the whole world. A team consisting of a 20 Japanese Sumo wrestlers team can become World Champions as long as the competition is open to all teams of the world. The NBA title isn't winnable for Real Madrid, so by non-Northern American definition the NBA title can't be a World Champion title.


So because my high school team couldn't play against the nba champ they aren't a world champion? Sure they're in the US but they aren't in the same league. Real Madrid isn't an nba franchise. Those aren't nba players. And they're not good enough to get into the nba just like a high school team.
That's the definition here yes, that a world championship is open to world. But I now understand that's different in the US and Canada.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 28,749
And1: 13,178
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions 

Post#29 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:13 pm

Tukkerwolf wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Tukkerwolf wrote:
Ok, maybe there is a different interpretation of the meaning of World Champion in Northern America and the rest of the world.

Outside of N.A. the amount of international players doesn't determine that title, but actual sport matches between teams competing from the whole world. A team consisting of a 20 Japanese Sumo wrestlers team can become World Champions as long as the competition is open to all teams of the world. The NBA title isn't winnable for Real Madrid, so by non-Northern American definition the NBA title can't be a World Champion title.


So because my high school team couldn't play against the nba champ they aren't a world champion? Sure they're in the US but they aren't in the same league. Real Madrid isn't an nba franchise. Those aren't nba players. And they're not good enough to get into the nba just like a high school team.
That's the definition here yes, that a world championship is open to world. But I now understand that's different in the US and Canada.


But every player on real madrid could play in the nba if they were or are good enough to play for an nba team. Where a team plays doesn't make sense as a qualifier here. Professional teams generally don't care where the player is from so once you tier which leagues are the top leagues...unless you have a question of "these two leagues are equal" (see ABA vs NBA perhaps?) then the best team in the league is the world champ.

Now I know ZERO about soccer leagues, but if one league is hands down no question the best. Why would it matter where they play? If they're the best then whoever wins is the world champ. If there are leagues that are similar...then you'd want them to compete, I get that. I just don't get location of where a team plays being a factor in this.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 28,749
And1: 13,178
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#30 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:16 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
No one is arguing that NBA has strongets teams or that NBA champion isnt a strongest team, but to be world champions, you need to beat opponents and representatives from the entire world, NBA is not world championship, so their champions arent world champions and thats facs.


Why aren't they represented by the world? This is what I don't get. What makes the bucks not an international team? Anyone in the world can play for the bucks. Absolutely zero restrictions to play for them for any person alive.


How is this even an argument. Anyone can and do play for BArcelona. Liverpool etc. too, in fact teams like Barcelona remain far more international than any NBA team, so if Barcelona win their league, why arent they World champions, but team that represent Milwaukee is? WTF are you even smoking? :lol:


Because they're in a lesser league. We don't have the college champions play the nba champions to figure out the best team either. Unless there's some debate as to which league is the best, which there isn't....then the nba champion is the world champion.
rapskar
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 39
Joined: Apr 21, 2015

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#31 » by rapskar » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:25 pm

Pretty much every team sport has one national/continental league that is obviously the strongest, yet only US national leagues call their winners "World champions".

Pretty much every international poster thinks this is wrong, yet most US posters think it's ok.

I think I see a trend here.
brutalitops
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,846
And1: 4,757
Joined: Feb 20, 2014
Location: Perth, Australia
     

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#32 » by brutalitops » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:27 pm

If Milwaukee cant do it in a cold rainy night in stoke they cant call themselves world champions
KhalilS
Veteran
Posts: 2,878
And1: 1,687
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#33 » by KhalilS » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:28 pm

Very much so, what about the rest of the universe? I think we can safely say Martians have no answer to Giannis.
User avatar
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 52,971
And1: 13,885
Joined: Aug 02, 2005
     

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#34 » by dockingsched » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:30 pm

Else_where wrote:and to make a broader point, likewise MLB, NHL and NFL champions are usually called World Champions for the reason that they are clearly stringest leagues for those specific sports and have the best athletes in those leagues than any other domestic league of that sport.

But, it's ignorant and arrogant imo calling world champions simply because it's a domestic competition (In some cases, USA+Canada) so no other country is taking part. So, calling it World Champions when there are dozens of leagues of thosr sports out there not even taking part is simply delusional.

I don't even care if there were only 2 countries in the world. New Zealand and let's say rest of the world was called "USA", it would still be narrow minded to call World Champions unless they face a champion team from New Zealand every season.


You have a link to where the nba calls it’s championship the world championship or calls the bucks the world champions?
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
BernteB
Junior
Posts: 492
And1: 686
Joined: Jun 25, 2015

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#35 » by BernteB » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:36 pm

it doesn't bother me, but of course it's a bit daft to have a league, which consists of teams from one country (plus toronto), to call their winner "world champion". i guess only in 'murica you find such things. and that has nothing to do with the fact that the nba is seen as the best basketball league in the world, because in the end, and even though it's very likely the truth, it's a very subjective opinion.
Baseline81
Rookie
Posts: 1,222
And1: 530
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#36 » by Baseline81 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:36 pm

brutalitops wrote:If Milwaukee cant do it in a cold rainy night in stoke they cant call themselves world champions

Bravo. Too bad only EPL fans would get the reference.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 20,307
And1: 17,624
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#37 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:37 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Why aren't they represented by the world? This is what I don't get. What makes the bucks not an international team? Anyone in the world can play for the bucks. Absolutely zero restrictions to play for them for any person alive.


How is this even an argument. Anyone can and do play for BArcelona. Liverpool etc. too, in fact teams like Barcelona remain far more international than any NBA team, so if Barcelona win their league, why arent they World champions, but team that represent Milwaukee is? WTF are you even smoking? :lol:


Because they're in a lesser league. We don't have the college champions play the nba champions to figure out the best team either. Unless there's some debate as to which league is the best, which there isn't....then the nba champion is the world champion.


You can live in that fantasy, but its just technically incorrect, but only in the USA, this happens. Premier league is strongest league too, also far more international than NBA, but they dont call themselves world champions. Hell, even Champions league champions do not call themselves world champions, even though everyone knows its by far the best league, they call themselves European champions however, because thats who they are. But 'Merica tho :lol:

You just jump from one ludicrous argument to the next. At first you seeemed to believe that only AMerican clubs have lots of international players, which is cute, now you jump back on classic NBA is da best argument grasping for cliche straw. It doesnt matter that we dont need games to prove NBA teams are the best, but sorry that doesnt make you world champion. English and Spanish soccer teams do not need to play against 100 times crapier in comparison Latvian teams to prove they are better, but they still do and thats what makes them European champions at the end when they win Champions league, end of story.

Basketball clubs simply do not have world championship, so such thing as world champion basketball club doesnt exist. No one is doubting that if such world championship would exist, NBA teams would dominate, but such thing simply doesnt exist.
Image
User avatar
jamaalstar21
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 4,921
And1: 9,652
Joined: Jul 21, 2016
 

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#38 » by jamaalstar21 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:40 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I am huge Euro and international basketball fan, so yes, it does bother me. It is just technically incorrect, I mean its a national league, word national is literally a first word in league's name.


This is a good point I think. They can't be the "National" Basketball Association and the World Champions.

The NBA is widely recognized as the best basketball league in the world, so I do think they can back up their World Champions title if the Euroleague champ wanted to challenge them. It should be a thing that a Euroleague champ can challenge, or any other club league champ that can lay a claim.

At first I wanted to say that the NBA and it's teams were just businesses that happened to be in the States (and Canada), but that word, National, does create an inconsistency.

It would be really funny if the MLS champ started calling themselves the World Champ. They don't do that... do they?
User avatar
Calvin Klein
RealGM
Posts: 11,237
And1: 3,766
Joined: May 20, 2008
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:
   

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#39 » by Calvin Klein » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:41 pm

Yes of course. Only in the USA...

Sent from my SM-A515F using RealGM mobile app
Tukkerwolf
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,916
And1: 1,351
Joined: Nov 07, 2014
 

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions 

Post#40 » by Tukkerwolf » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:43 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Tukkerwolf wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
So because my high school team couldn't play against the nba champ they aren't a world champion? Sure they're in the US but they aren't in the same league. Real Madrid isn't an nba franchise. Those aren't nba players. And they're not good enough to get into the nba just like a high school team.
That's the definition here yes, that a world championship is open to world. But I now understand that's different in the US and Canada.


But every player on real madrid could play in the nba if they were or are good enough to play for an nba team. Where a team plays doesn't make sense as a qualifier here. Professional teams generally don't care where the player is from so once you tier which leagues are the top leagues...unless you have a question of "these two leagues are equal" (see ABA vs NBA perhaps?) then the best team in the league is the world champ.

But the title is for a team, not the players. And teams can't move around.

Now I know ZERO about soccer leagues, but if one league is hands down no question the best. Why would it matter where they play? If they're the best then whoever wins is the world champ. If there are leagues that are similar...then you'd want them to compete, I get that. I just don't get location of where a team plays being a factor in this.


Well, the location shouldn't matter, but for you it does, because Barcelona can't win the World Title. And you might say the Bucks are better than them. What if someone from Barcelona says otherwise, there is no way to settle it. And what margin of subjective power difference warrants a World Champions title? You say the NBA winner is a clear world champion, how about the German Handball league winner, are they superior enough? It is subjective, and the beauty of sports should be that there is an objective winner. And then afterwards everyone blames referees etc to make it subjective again. ;)

Return to The General Board