Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ACMFFL
Senior
And1: 567

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#201 » by ACMFFL » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:36 pm

dickfox wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:
Slot Machine wrote:Yeah, that sounds logical. Maybe you guys should do that instead of complaining on here.

I'm not complaining, it doesn't even bother me, I'm just saying in my mindset you have to play in a worldwide competition to gain that title no matter how good is your national/continental league.

But ehi there no reason to take it personal with bs like the inferiority complex. I've nothing against the USA and I guess the same goes for most of those who agree with me.

I'm thinking the Bucks would beat any other team in the Euroleagues and across the globe but hey, let's pitch a world tournament idea to Adam Silver where the champions from each league play each other for world domination.

The same goes for Chelsea in football but that doesn't prevent the CWC from existing.
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#202 » by WRau1 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:50 pm

If you have the best players in the world playing in one league, how are they not World Champions?
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,501

Post#203 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:09 pm

Yes, it bothers me in every American sport even if there are international players.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,869

Post#204 » by 510TWSS » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:14 pm

no, cause no other team in any other league would be able to hold a jock strap to a playoff tested team

guess that makes me an nba nationalist lmao
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#205 » by Dupp » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:01 pm

It’s obviously stupid but I guess technically no one In world would be a better team.

Hand egg however ain’t even a sport. No other country cares about that ****.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,340

Post#206 » by Bornstellar » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:06 pm

Spurs FO must feel the same way, because their banners don't say "World Champions" on them

Doesn't really bother me though. We all know why they say "world' champs, it's because the NBA is full of the top players from all over the world
Nites
Junior
And1: 376

Post#207 » by Nites » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:32 pm

Not at all.

Although, "Defending" champions were always a pet peeve of mine.
Hogesy
Sophomore
And1: 145

Post#208 » by Hogesy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:43 am

Call me when it's name changes to the WBA "World basketball association" until then it will remain the NBA "national basketball association". National hmmm I wonder what that eludes to? Case closed!
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions 

Post#209 » by The Moose » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:14 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I'm sure Kobe playing 24 minutes in a preseason exhibition game is comparable to his 38 MPG in the regular season that year, or his 40 MPG in the playoffs that year, or his 41 MPG in the Finals that year.

But hey, you all do you. I'm sure a single exhibition game on foreign soil is comparable to a 7 game NBA series, LOL

No doubt Lakers would win 7 game series, but they lost that game and thats facts.

So they won one home exhibition game, where Kobe didn't play half the game and this counts for what exactly?

To me, it means they tried really hard and succeeded at winning a single exhibition game lol

sure the lakers might have won if Kobe had played more, they also might not have.
However people in this thread are arguing that there is no problem with calling the NBA champion the 'world' champion even if they don't play teams from competitions around the world, simply because the NBA is the best league and its a foregone conclusion they would win easily.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,627

Post#210 » by Bruin » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:27 am

It doesn’t really bother me but at the same time, you don’t see UEFA Champions League winners calling themselves World Champs (until they go on to win the Club World Cup). Instead they call themselves Champions of Europe even though we all know they’d body any club outside of Europe
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,944

Post#211 » by Perishable517 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:30 am

World Champions Milwaukee Bucks!

Yeah, I love saying that.

Sent from my HTC U11 using RealGM mobile app
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
playoffs
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,953

Post#212 » by playoffs » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:18 am

I don't lose sleep over it but it is stupid. Sure, any NBA champion would crush any Euro team. But at the same time, theoretically next year a bored billionaire could take over a Euro club, let's say Real Madrid, and start shelling out $80/year contracts to 5 NBA superstars (keep in mind that Euro salaries are post-tax) and $30 for great role players. It won't happen, but it's a theoretical possibility. So let's say within 3-4 years Real was able to construct a team consisting of Giannis, Jokic, Luka, AD, and roleplayers. Obviously that team wins the Euroleague easily, but they are not 'world champs' because they play in Europe. Meanwhile, the NBA champion is, let's say, on par with the 2019 Raptors. Do we still call them the undisputed world champions?
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,534

Post#213 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:32 am

playoffs wrote:I don't lose sleep over it but it is stupid. Sure, any NBA champion would crush any Euro team. But at the same time, theoretically next year a bored billionaire could take over a Euro club, let's say Real Madrid, and start shelling out $80/year contracts to 5 NBA superstars (keep in mind that Euro salaries are post-tax) and $30 for great role players. It won't happen, but it's a theoretical possibility. So let's say within 3-4 years Real was able to construct a team consisting of Giannis, Jokic, Luka, AD, and roleplayers. Obviously that team wins the Euroleague easily, but they are not 'world champs' because they play in Europe. Meanwhile, the NBA champion is, let's say, on par with the 2019 Raptors. Do we still call them the undisputed world champions?

You think those guys are so uncompetitive they'd want to play in a league where nobody would respect their game? That's the problem with this idea. You can't just buy players to play for a team that doesn't matter in a league that doesn't matter. There were rumors 75M was offered to Kobe and Leberon at one point, they never left the nba and that was a decade ago. And to play in a nothing league, they might actually lose endorsement money. You'd you'd have to at least triple that number...maybe more to get these guys. 500 million a year for each and sure...ok. 80 isn't going to land more than MAYBE one star and that's insanely iffy. That's the power of having the NBA as a closed off league where either you're in it or you can't compete at the highest level. It's also why NBA superstars were ok to sign off on these player salary caps that prevent them from getting more money.
playoffs
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,953

Post#214 » by playoffs » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:23 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
playoffs wrote:I don't lose sleep over it but it is stupid. Sure, any NBA champion would crush any Euro team. But at the same time, theoretically next year a bored billionaire could take over a Euro club, let's say Real Madrid, and start shelling out $80/year contracts to 5 NBA superstars (keep in mind that Euro salaries are post-tax) and $30 for great role players. It won't happen, but it's a theoretical possibility. So let's say within 3-4 years Real was able to construct a team consisting of Giannis, Jokic, Luka, AD, and roleplayers. Obviously that team wins the Euroleague easily, but they are not 'world champs' because they play in Europe. Meanwhile, the NBA champion is, let's say, on par with the 2019 Raptors. Do we still call them the undisputed world champions?

You think those guys are so uncompetitive they'd want to play in a league where nobody would respect their game? That's the problem with this idea. You can't just buy players to play for a team that doesn't matter in a league that doesn't matter. There were rumors 75M was offered to Kobe and Leberon at one point, they never left the nba and that was a decade ago. And to play in a nothing league, they might actually lose endorsement money. You'd you'd have to at least triple that number...maybe more to get these guys. 500 million a year for each and sure...ok. 80 isn't going to land more than MAYBE one star and that's insanely iffy. That's the power of having the NBA as a closed off league where either you're in it or you can't compete at the highest level. It's also why NBA superstars were ok to sign off on these player salary caps that prevent them from getting more money.

I explicitly said it's only a theoretical possibility. I'm not suggesting it would happen. But the fact that such a possibility exists means, imo, that in order to proclaim yourself as a world champ, you actually have to compete against the rest of the world. And sure, the NBA has historically been, and still is, significantly better than any other basketball league, but there's no guarantee this will last forever. The gap is shrinking year by year, and over time, yes, it will become possible for some Euro clubs to reach elite NBA levels. And then, at what point do you stop just assuming that the NBA teams are better? Are you sure that this can't happen in the next 10-20 years? A couple Euro billionaires and a bad CBA negotiation year, and you will start seeing that shift. If the last 5 years have taught me anything, is that it's foolish to take anything for granted.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,102

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions 

Post#215 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:38 am

The Moose wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:No doubt Lakers would win 7 game series, but they lost that game and thats facts.

So they won one home exhibition game, where Kobe didn't play half the game and this counts for what exactly?

To me, it means they tried really hard and succeeded at winning a single exhibition game lol

sure the lakers might have won if Kobe had played more, they also might not have.
However people in this thread are arguing that there is no problem with calling the NBA champion the 'world' champion even if they don't play teams from competitions around the world, simply because the NBA is the best league and its a foregone conclusion they would win easily.
Yes, I'm aware and agree. No team from another league can beat the 2021 Bucks in a 7 game series, with NBA rules, 4 of the games being in Milwaukee.

If you believe there are teams, I would be interested to look over the list you compile.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,534

Post#216 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:40 am

playoffs wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

I explicitly said it's only a theoretical possibility. I'm not suggesting it would happen. But the fact that such a possibility exists means, imo, that in order to proclaim yourself as a world champ, you actually have to compete against the rest of the world. And sure, the NBA has historically been, and still is, significantly better than any other basketball league, but there's no guarantee this will last forever. The gap is shrinking year by year, and over time, yes, it will become possible for some Euro clubs to reach elite NBA levels. And then, at what point do you stop just assuming that the NBA teams are better? Are you sure that this can't happen in the next 10-20 years? A couple Euro billionaires and a bad CBA negotiation year, and you will start seeing that shift. If the last 5 years have taught me anything, is that it's foolish to take anything for granted.

Theory would imply a proven well established and tested thing that's built on other theories or facts. So you're saying hypothetically? Cause this isn't a theory! Theory is another word for the best factual evidence we have possible!

Anyway - it's not a reasonable idea! And why would those guy not just buy an nba franchise and/or move it to europe if they want to see game played there as if live fans matter?

The reality is the NBA has because they have a closed league and have no issue expanding and WANT TO expand to the europe...there's just no chance this happens.

If at some point another league becomes competitive, ok...maybe we should take a pause. But that's not probable. The nba system is just too effective and the nba is DREAMING of moving into other countries, they just can't figure out logistics. If there is enough talent to do it, they'll be elsewhere and figure it out.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,947

Post#217 » by AussieCeltic » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:15 am

Arco Thunder wrote:Imagine being bothered by the BEST LEAGUE in the WORLD calling its winners WORLD champions. Euro insecurity knows no bounds it's embarrassing how much you people whine on American forums begging for daddy USA to acknowledge your existence. We know you exist and we know your basketball leagues are terrible.

NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL are the best leagues in their respective sports and if any champion is called world champion here that is all that title is trying to convey. Somehow trying to spin that into some delusional American power fantasy is bizarre. Not one American would give a crap if the best euro soccer league called the winner world champions because it's TRUE. MLS cannot compete and we don't care.

But you can’t prove that year in year out unless you play teams from around the world.

Australia had the best Rugby League comp but we don’t say “World Champs”x

We also have the best AFL comp and don’t say world champs.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,729

Post#218 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:25 am

Level of out of touch arrogant mindsets that try to explain away the stupid somewhat silly centric notion of calling a national league, the world, is frankly staggering, but not too suprising. Was entertaining to read through the whole thread, the faulty concept of the semantics aside (National teams, and club teams are very different things in sports, as are national competitions and international competitions).

Fresh reminder how many think the whole world foolishly revolves around them in all things, even in minor things like Sports.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#219 » by DroseReturnChi » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:59 pm

WRau1 wrote:If you have the best players in the world playing in one league, how are they not World Champions?

then why not hold nets vs lakers finals if thats the case. bucks were heavily against odds to beat nets and win ring but they did it.
until you play you never know in a game of pro sports. also all the recent mvps are from europe not americans. if these guys went back to euroleague where something like RM of soccer happens, nba will be crushed.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,766

Post#220 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:01 pm

no
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it

Return to The General Board