76ers back to fining Ben Simmons

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,507

Re: 76ers back to fining Ben Simmons 

Post#961 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:17 pm

Tomjas wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
CBA

Fines go to league & players association with no cap relief

Makes no sense but nothing else does about this whole situation

You want to know what is even more crazy?

He’s already been paid 50% of his annual salary less a few million in fines

The lack of cap relief I understand as it could be used as a manipulative tactic, but at the very least the fines should be set in an account that is up for arbitration (which is probably what the Owners will argue for in the upcoming CBA). And yeah I do know that he’s been paid a large chunk of his contract (8 mil before the season even began I think I read).

Tough situation, but I still maintain the Sixers are doing right to make it as miserable on Simmons as he is on them. It’s not as if the other Sixer players have his back (it would be an entirely different scenario if so imo).

Who knows?

With Simmons there’s never any clarity as he doesn’t speak and all information is via selective leaks from both sides

I still can’t believe that a reporter hasn’t shoved a microphone in his face

He’s not in hiding and everyone knows his whereabouts

Btw, the Sixers players do have his back

It’s just very strange

I really hope players have body guards that can throw reporters through a wall if they engage players outside of official settings. Their really should be some kind of law that anyone who views celebrity photos or videos of that nature get 5-10 years in jail and have to be registered so employeers don't have to hire them.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,446

Post#962 » by Myth » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:59 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:The lack of cap relief I understand as it could be used as a manipulative tactic, but at the very least the fines should be set in an account that is up for arbitration (which is probably what the Owners will argue for in the upcoming CBA). And yeah I do know that he’s been paid a large chunk of his contract (8 mil before the season even began I think I read).

Tough situation, but I still maintain the Sixers are doing right to make it as miserable on Simmons as he is on them. It’s not as if the other Sixer players have his back (it would be an entirely different scenario if so imo).

Who knows?

With Simmons there’s never any clarity as he doesn’t speak and all information is via selective leaks from both sides

It’s just very strange

I really hope players have body guards that can throw reporters through a wall if they engage players outside of official settings. Their really should be some kind of law that anyone who views celebrity photos or videos of that nature get 5-10 years in jail and have to be registered so employeers don't have to hire them.

NBA reporters rely so much on relationships with players and teams, that it would be dumb of them to go paparazzi style.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,725

Post#963 » by Nate505 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:16 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:Is Ben Simmons mentally unfit to fly now too? What’s the complaint about fining him for not traveling with the team?

Hey man, you can't question his mental health man, he deserves every benefit of the doubt man, you can't make light of mental health man, that's not how the world works man, he really needs to focus on his mental health man, and he needs to be paid too man, because it's not fair man, he's a human being too man.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,597

Post#964 » by Asianiac_24 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:18 pm

To all the ones who thinks Ben Simmons should get paid, I hope you say the same if you ever hire a contractor who does no work for you. Easy to spend someone else’s money.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,166

Post#965 » by Pelon chingon » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:20 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:The lack of cap relief I understand as it could be used as a manipulative tactic, but at the very least the fines should be set in an account that is up for arbitration (which is probably what the Owners will argue for in the upcoming CBA). And yeah I do know that he’s been paid a large chunk of his contract (8 mil before the season even began I think I read).

Who knows?

It’s just very strange

The 1st amendment strikes again. Nobody has a right to privacy in public.
Nate505
RealGM

Post#966 » by Nate505 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:21 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:To all the ones who thinks Ben Simmons should get paid, I hope you say the same if you ever hire a contractor who does no work for you. Easy to spend someone else’s money.

As long as the contractor tells me that there's mental health issues they're working on, I'll be more than happy to give them all the money in the world to not do the job he signed a contract to do. Because who am I to question his valid mental health reasons (and he still deserves to get paid too, because, like, uh, America).
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#967 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:50 pm

Pelon chingon wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
Who knows?

It’s just very strange

The 1st amendment strikes again. Nobody has a right to privacy in public.

And I'm fine with that. I just want to make sure that we track those viewing this kinda material so we can make sure they're not allowed around children or in private places.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#968 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:51 pm

Nate505 wrote:
Asianiac_24 wrote:To all the ones who thinks Ben Simmons should get paid, I hope you say the same if you ever hire a contractor who does no work for you. Easy to spend someone else’s money.

As long as the contractor tells me that there's mental health issues they're working on, I'll be more than happy to give them all the money in the world to not do the job he signed a contract to do. Because who am I to question his valid mental health reasons (and he still deserves to get paid too, because, like, uh, America).

Maybe you mean "contract"? Cause umm...I think most people have things like short and long term disability to pay them in these cases.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,597

Post#969 » by Asianiac_24 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:01 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:

China sounds like a good country for you to move to.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,589

Post#970 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:25 pm

Tomjas wrote:For the uninformed, this is how Simmons contract works

Annual salary of $33 million

25% or $8.25 million payable on July 1 - paid

25% or $8.25 million payable on October 1 - held in escrow & that’s why he suddenly turned up

$8.25 million less a few million in fines was paid to him a couple of weeks ago

Rest is paid in monthly instalments so he’s already been paid $13 million plus FOR THIS SEASON

Like it or not, that’s the contract that the Sixers gave him
That he might partially have to give back if he collects enough fines

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
Nate505
RealGM

Post#971 » by Nate505 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:42 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Nate505 wrote:

Maybe you mean "contract"? Cause umm...I think most people have things like short and long term disability to pay them in these cases.

I'm sure they do, as long as they're satisfying the terms of the contract.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,446

Post#972 » by Myth » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:42 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Nate505 wrote:

Seriously, you are paying then for a job, not their mental health leave. Like you said, disability pays for this stuff. Women don’t even get paid maternity leave in America. Their jobs are protected, and then the state compensates financially (for a limited time).

Edit: Apparently I’m in one of the few states that does help financially. Most don’t even do that.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,077

Post#973 » by MrBigShot » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:08 am

Nate505 wrote:
Asianiac_24 wrote:Is Ben Simmons mentally unfit to fly now too? What’s the complaint about fining him for not traveling with the team?

Hey man, you can't question his mental health man, he deserves every benefit of the doubt man, you can't make light of mental health man, that's not how the world works man, he really needs to focus on his mental health man, and he needs to be paid too man, because it's not fair man, he's a human being too man.

Sad thing about this is if he was being genuine and didn't handle this like an entitled brat, people might actually support him. Instead of saying he's refusing to play for a team he signed a $177 million contract with that has 4 years remaining, then showing up to training camp just to get the 8.25 mil he was supposed to get in early October, faking back stiffness to avoid playing, refusing to participate in practice, and now using mental health as a ploy.

Look at Rui Hachimura. He took a break to focus on his mental health and I haven't seen anything but positive comments about it. If Simmons gets traded and immediately suits up to play I hope all the posters buying into this bs come out and admit they got duped.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,879

Post#974 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:15 am

MrBigShot wrote:
Nate505 wrote:

Sad thing about this is if he was being genuine and didn't handle this like an entitled brat, people might actually support him. Instead of saying he's refusing to play for a team he signed a $177 million contract with that has 4 years remaining, then showing up to training camp just to get the 8.25 mil he was supposed to get in early October, faking back stiffness to avoid playing, refusing to participate in practice, and now using mental health as a ploy.

Look at Rui Hachimura. He took a break to focus on his mental health and I haven't seen anything but positive comments about it. If Simmons gets traded and immediately suits up to play I hope all the posters buying into this bs come out and admit they got duped.

Do you honestly think the Benablers who are straight-up apologists for the guy and shame everyone here on the GB for challenging his 11th hour plea for mental health (even if there is some basis in it) to then come back here after he suits up within TWO WEEKS of being traded and say, "well...guess I was wrong...I guess that Simmons could both work on his mental health AND play...sorry about that, everyone!"

You think that is going to happen HERE? On the RealGM GB?

Ha.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#975 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:06 am

Myth wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Nate505 wrote:As long as the contractor tells me that there's mental health issues they're working on, I'll be more than happy to give them all the money in the world to not do the job he signed a contract to do. Because who am I to question his valid mental health reasons (and he still deserves to get paid too, because, like, uh, America).

Seriously, you are paying then for a job, not their mental health leave. Like you said, disability pays for this stuff. Women don’t even get paid maternity leave in America. Their jobs are protected, and then the state compensates financially (for a limited time).

Edit: Apparently I’m in one of the few states that does help financially. Most don’t even do that.

The employer pays into those "state funds" so not fully true there. Even things like unemployment insurance...same source.
AlexanderRight
Senior
And1: 736

Post#976 » by AlexanderRight » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:20 am

You don’t ever wannna get in a pissing contest with a billionaire. They got too much ego and money to let someone get over on them, especially someone like Rich Paul who has made a living leeching off of other people. At this point, if I’m the owner, I let Simmons rot for four years and dare him to nuke his own career, if nothing else but to use him as an example to my employees who think they can get paid to not work. When you have that much money you have nothing to lose and can **** someone just for them thinking they can **** with you.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#977 » by Tomjas » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:20 am

AlexanderRight wrote:You don’t ever wannna get in a pissing contest with a billionaire. They got too much ego and money to let someone get over on them, especially someone like Rich Paul who has made a living leeching off of other people. At this point, if I’m the owner, I let Simmons rot for four years and dare him to nuke his own career, if nothing else but to use him as an example to my employees who think they can get paid to not work. When you have that much money you have nothing to lose and can **** someone just for them thinking they can **** with you.

:lol:

That’s not happening

I worked for a guy far richer and far more powerful than Josh Harris

It’s not how they think

He would be pissed because he’s not in control but eventually common sense prevails & particularly when things are heading south
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#978 » by God Squad » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:28 am

I'm I the only one that thinks the Sixers are the ones losing this standoff so far?

1. Ben stays wherever he is and collects/gets fined.
2. Sixers continue to struggle
3. No offers/respectable offers
4. Ben gets NBPA support
5. Sixers paint Ben one way---Rich Paul paints Sixers one way
6. Sixers history with players with mental issues/Yips

I think Ben is perfectly fine never playing for the Sixers again, even if being fined periodically is the outcome. I'll say this much for all his talent, I'm happy it's not my team dealing with it.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,589

Post#979 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:32 am

AlexanderRight wrote:You don’t ever wannna get in a pissing contest with a billionaire. They got too much ego and money to let someone get over on them, especially someone like Rich Paul who has made a living leeching off of other people. At this point, if I’m the owner, I let Simmons rot for four years and dare him to nuke his own career, if nothing else but to use him as an example to my employees who think they can get paid to not work. When you have that much money you have nothing to lose and can **** someone just for them thinking they can **** with you.

It sounds like pettyness, but it's also a key element of game theory.
I must appear to be ready for everything to be taken seriously, even if wouldn't eventually do it.
Слава Украине!
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#980 » by Tomjas » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:38 am

God Squad wrote:I'm I the only one that thinks the Sixers are the ones losing this standoff so far?

1. Ben stays wherever he is and collects/gets fined.
2. Sixers continue to struggle
3. No offers/respectable offers
4. Ben gets NBPA support
5. Sixers paint Ben one way---Rich Paul paints Sixers one way
6. Sixers history with players with mental issues/Yips

I think Ben is perfectly fine never playing for the Sixers again, even if being fined periodically is the outcome. I'll say this much for all his talent, I'm happy it's not my team dealing with it.

Morey is a fraud and I say that as a Sixers fan

He’s earning $10 million per year and can’t afford another loss after trading Chris Paul for Westbrook as his career would effectively be over

Simmons was never coming back

Should have been traded before draft night

Return to The General Board