Hawks are 17-24. What's happening?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Re: Hawks are 11-10. What's happening? 

Post#301 » by Madhouse » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:09 pm

_qubik wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
Threezus wrote:
I honestly think Collins could be a legit good #3 option behind 1 other star next to trae. Collins has proven when plays are ran for him and called for him he can put up good numbers. The dude has already has a 21+ 10+ season and has even said a few times he wishes they would run some plays for him but they don't and even nate said he just gets his points within the flow of the game.

I think a vet like Paul George a true 2 way SG would be great here if we had a chance at him for a few years. Jaylon brown or any other top tier 2 way SG would be perfect for us as well but their hard to come by but i would be willing to start moving some good young pieces to get one if im the hawks. I think it's time to finally make a move for that 2nd star player to team with Trae if were gonna take this serious and take the next step.

i was thinking about 3rd or 4th. BUT if it's,,,,,
dray, klay, steph
giannis, jrue, khris
lebron, kyrie, love or wade, chris
tim, tony, kawhi

compared to these ring teams, i cannot see being a 3rd. he's borderline with philly, utah. celts are the same as atl

he's a 4th on denver, but helps as a 3rd with portland and somewhere around there with miami and i guess i can extrapolate with the rest of the league. i think thats the lay of the land

So, Atlanta needs the first option too, Trae isnt on those dudes level

At least a co-star next to Young. They don't have championship talent.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#302 » by basketballRob » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:14 pm

Sothron wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Sothron wrote:
I wouldn't go that far. We're missing two starters. We just got our backup center back for the first time tonight. I only worry about our defense as a team. This team can score points with their eyes closed. The team however needs to play defense like they did once Nate took over as coach last season.

Are the Hawks still thinking about trading Cam Reddish? I see that he scored 34 points today.

The only way they would trade him would be to get a star player in return.
When is the deadline for the Hawks to exercise the team option for Reddish next season? It looks like even if you waive Gallo the Hawks could be over the luxury tax.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Re: Hawks are 14-16. What's happening? 

Post#303 » by Statlanta » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:16 pm

Injuries, COVID-19 and guys regressing. They’ll be fine
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,726

Post#304 » by hauntedcomputer » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:10 pm

Cam Reddish thinking he's the go-to guy
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#305 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:59 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Sothron wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Are the Hawks still thinking about trading Cam Reddish? I see that he scored 34 points today.

When is the deadline for the Hawks to exercise the team option for Reddish next season? It looks like even if you waive Gallo the Hawks could be over the luxury tax.

Luxury Tax is projected to be at $145 mil next season. With Gallo Hawks have $151 mil in guaranteed contracts. Gallo has only a $5 mil guarantee on his $21 mil...so if waived Hawks guaranteed salaries will be at $136 mill.
Reddish's QO offered date is 6/30/22.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#306 » by basketballRob » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:15 pm

jayu70 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Sothron wrote:

Luxury Tax is projected to be at $145 mil next season. With Gallo Hawks have $151 mil in guaranteed contracts. Gallo has only a $5 mil guarantee on his $21 mil...so if waived Hawks guaranteed salaries will be at $136 mill.
So if they exercise the option for 6m on Reddish they'll be 3m under the tax threshold? Then they'll still have to replace Gallo.

I still think they will move Cam for a future pick. Dallas would be a good landing spot since they have a 10m TPE.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#307 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:29 pm

basketballRob wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:When is the deadline for the Hawks to exercise the team option for Reddish next season? It looks like even if you waive Gallo the Hawks could be over the luxury tax.

So if they exercise the option for 6m on Reddish they'll be 3m under the tax threshold? Then they'll still have to replace Gallo.

I still think they will move Cam for a future pick. Dallas would be a good landing spot since they have a 10m TPE.

Reddish's QO is included in the guaranteed salary. I think until Hunter can prove he can stay stealthy Hawks won't trade Reddish for a future pick. I can see him traded as part of a larger packet to get a better player that can contribute immediately.
Regarding replacing Gallo, the hope is that last year's draft pick Jalen Johnson can fill that future role, he hasn't played many NBA minutes, as he's played mostly in the GLeague.
What does Dallas have to offer? I don't see that as a possibility despite their TPE.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#308 » by Danny1616 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:37 pm

What's happening is we are seeing teams like the Hawks and Knicks weren't as good as we thought and there records were inflated by a very crazy Covid year.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#309 » by basketballRob » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:40 pm

jayu70 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Luxury Tax is projected to be at $145 mil next season. With Gallo Hawks have $151 mil in guaranteed contracts. Gallo has only a $5 mil guarantee on his $21 mil...so if waived Hawks guaranteed salaries will be at $136 mill.

Reddish's QO is included in the guaranteed salary. I think until Hunter can prove he can stay stealthy Hawks won't trade Reddish for a future pick. I can see him traded as part of a larger packet to get a better player that can contribute immediately.
Regarding replacing Gallo, the hope is that last year's draft pick Jalen Johnson can fill that future role, he hasn't played many NBA minutes, as he's played mostly in the GLeague.
What does Dallas have to offer? I don't see that as a possibility despite their TPE.
Atlanta would get a future pick and a TPE. With the extra space the Hawks could sign a couple vets to minimum or low level salaries.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#310 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:43 pm

basketballRob wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:So if they exercise the option for 6m on Reddish they'll be 3m under the tax threshold? Then they'll still have to replace Gallo.

Atlanta would get a future pick and a TPE. With the extra space the Hawks could sign a couple vets to minimum or low level salaries.

Atlanta wants immediate help, a $6 mil TPE won't help as much as Reddish would right NOW. There is no Dallas deal that would interest me
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#311 » by _qubik » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:57 pm

Madhouse wrote:
_qubik wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
dray, klay, steph
giannis, jrue, khris
tim, tony, kawhi

compared to these ring teams, i cannot see being a 3rd. he's borderline with philly, utah. celts are the same as atl

he's a 4th on denver, but helps as a 3rd with portland and somewhere around there with miami and i guess i can extrapolate with the rest of the league. i think thats the lay of the land

I dont like the Hawks and Trae, but I will be fair. Collins and Capela are great pieces for a champioship roster if you dont expect them to do more than their roles. I thinks the Hawks could run more playe for Collins, he gets his part in the flow of the game, but is athletical as hell, can grab any lob and is a very good shooter for his position. Capela is another lob threat and a very good rim protector and rebounder.

Collins is a viable third option for me, Capela will always get chances on the pick n roll with Trae, they need a glue guy like Jae Crowder, Iguodala or Caruso, and then, the most important thing, they badly need another scorer that can get his shot, but need to be able to create for others, given that Trae is a bad defender and Collins isnt a great one, this player should play both ends of the floor. Paul George, Jimmy Butler are names that comes to my mind. Again, they are good, but I dont know Trae and Collins would be enough as your 1st and 3rd best player.

They have a lot of young pieces and manageable salaries, they can make a splash. In my opinion they shouldnt be trying to collect and develop young talent, they should consolidate the team via trade, and keep 1 or 2, Huerter and 1 more to be important rotation players that still can develop in more important players
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#312 » by chrismikayla » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:22 pm

Delon Wright is a strange player to watch. He doesn't stand out on the court and you hardly notice he's on the floor. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad LOL. Do you all like him as the backup or should Nate unleash Cooper?
[gfycat][/gfycat]
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#313 » by Zenzibar » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:35 pm

They stopped calling these:

Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,466

Post#314 » by Ball4life32 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:47 pm

Madhouse wrote:
_qubik wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
dray, klay, steph
giannis, jrue, khris
tim, tony, kawhi

Hawks have been missing half their team to be fair. Not saying they are heading to the ship this year but they were on a 7 game win streak (all by double digits) & then both Bogi and Reddish went down. (They are back now but of course now Trae, Huerter, Gallo, Capela & more are all out with Covid). Unfortunately guys just can’t stay on the court at the same time.

Hawks have started either Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot or Skylar Mays (mostly TLC) at wing the last 9 games….
Zenzibar wrote:They stopped calling these:

Yet Trae is having his best season so far.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#315 » by Zenzibar » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:09 pm

Ball4life32 wrote:
Madhouse wrote:
_qubik wrote:

Maybe bc hawks have been missing half their team. They were on a 7 game win streak (all by double digits) & then both Bogi and Reddish went down. (They are back now but of course now Trae, Huerter, Gallo, Capela & more are all out with Covid)

Hawks have started either Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot or Skylar Mays (mostly TLC) at wing the last 9 games….

Zenzibar wrote:They stopped calling these:

Yet Trae is having his best season so far.

For sure. That team is waay too talented not to move up to the 3-4 spot.
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#316 » by Sothron » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:11 pm

I love when people ignore the injuries and now covid rampaging through the team thanks to Durant giving it to Trae Young. This team has the talent. It just needs to get healthy and get some chemistry going.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#317 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:59 pm

Covid , there defense has been terrible and Trae hasn’t been playing well .
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#318 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:26 pm

The hawks dealt with a coaching change last year .
Generally mid season coaching changes do not lead to playoff surges .

So we got McMillan , who is an experienced nba coach , taking over another coaches roster and system and making it his own .
It led to Wild success last year.

This year :
The roster looks the same but now you are in mcmillians system from beginning to end. They are not having as much success .

In conclusion :
Now mcmillian isnt the savior , he is the skipper.
The roster while still good comes back to earth a bit. Guys like huerter, hunter, bogs, Gallo are 10 ppg guys when last year they taking turns popping off 18.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,259

Post#319 » by John Murdoch » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:34 pm

Sothron wrote:I love when people ignore the injuries and now covid rampaging through the team thanks to Durant giving it to Trae Young. This team has the talent. It just needs to get healthy and get some chemistry going.

U sound like westbrook rn
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#320 » by dacrusha » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:45 pm

Sothron wrote:I love when people ignore the injuries and now covid rampaging through the team thanks to Durant giving it to Trae Young. This team has the talent. It just needs to get healthy and get some chemistry going.

Every single team has gone through injuries and/or having COVID run through their roster.

Hawks have been super lucky that their best player has been available for 29 of their 30 games - can’t think of many teams with the same fortune.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan

Return to The General Board