OT: What is the history of RealGM?

Moderators: jamaalstar21, Harry Garris, Dirk, ken6199, infinite11285, Domejandro, bwgood77, bisme37, zimpy27, KingDavid

User avatar
High 5
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 1,960
Joined: Apr 21, 2006

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#161 » by High 5 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:48 pm

It has always been full of toxic, obnoxious people (since 2006 at least), but it has gotten worse with the rise of hot take culture and people farming for and-1’s. Most of the interesting stuff these days is just taken from Reddit (which also sucks).
PistolPeteJR
General Manager
Posts: 7,585
And1: 6,671
Joined: Jun 14, 2017
 

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#162 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:49 pm

gavran wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:Outside of ESPN, Mixmakers was also a forum that was somewhat active for basketball discussion. I was on there before coming on here. Miss it at times.

I came here from Mixmakers as well. I wasn't making mixes. We have a MM legend Pavvy still posting on the Knicks board from time to time.


There was another MM legend on here that would post on the GB every now and then. I saw a post of his a few months ago. Don’t remember his name right now.
User avatar
Ryoga Hibiki
Head Coach
Posts: 7,085
And1: 2,658
Joined: Nov 14, 2001
Location: Warszawa now, but from Northern Italy

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#163 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:40 pm

Another one I was following more or less at the same time was basketballboards.net, byt I don't think it exists anymore.

Anyway, my first few years here were spent defending the Jerry Krause's process-before-theprocess babybulls plan.
That I still think was a sound plan, but he hit a timespan when just no real MVP caliber players entered the league (the four drafts between 99 and 02). A few ywars later it might have looked very different.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
dautjazz
RealGM
Posts: 13,608
And1: 8,156
Joined: Aug 01, 2001
Location: Miami, FL
 

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#164 » by dautjazz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:14 pm

Egg Nog wrote:RealGM.com in 2000
RealGM.com in 2001
RealGM.com in 2002

RealGM forum in 2001
GUYS...the General Board here has 15 topics and 44 TOTAL POSTS


OMG I remember the 2001 layout. Before RealGM I used to use a forum which I think was called NBA Talk, and then ESPN bought it, which I think eventually became their Insider service.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
GreatWhiteStiff
General Manager
Posts: 9,926
And1: 7,824
Joined: Oct 17, 2011
Location: #EmbraceTheTreadmill
 

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#165 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:41 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:Shams got his start reporting for RealGM.


You hear that, Pharmcat?! You could be up next!


Pharm is just whiling away hours here until skip retires.

This is known. This is known.
"Yes because he completely turned around a disastrous 5-12 team and helped them in every facet of the game. If Melo keeps it up, he is legit MVP candidate."

-EricMillegan
Curtis Lemansky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 5,165
And1: 217
Joined: Feb 12, 2005
Location: Istanbul

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#166 » by Curtis Lemansky » Yesterday 2:31 pm

SSUBluesman wrote:Prerak...now there's a name I haven't heard for awhile.

While perusing through I don't think that I saw Magnumt mentioned, who was an iconic poster and mod that passed away sadly.

I lurked for awhile before joining, and I'm almost positive I joined to post on the political board where I was most active early on. The Iraq war (and its aftermath) were the dominant discussion points. There was quite a bit of back and forth laying out arguments, providing links, etc. It's commonly pointed out how destructive social media has been on political discourse, but it's even more so when you've had multiple back and forth interactions with someone that you disagree with but don't personally dislike.

The OT board had lots of ****posting and memes before they were a thing. I didn't post there too much early on as I didn't quite get much of it and didn't lurk enough to figure it out. The whole "treadmilled" was always good for a laugh.

I don't have a link to it off hand but the "I'm a genius with an iq of 165" thread was hilarious, even more so if you interacted with or were aware of the poster behind it.

Some Wolves board history:

The disastrous 2004/2005 season and the continuous arguments over what was to blame.
The Mayo/Love trade was very divisive for awhile. Luckily I was posting much less by the time I was decisively wrong lol.
Years of "Rubio wants to play for the Knicks" there and elsewhere thanks to East Coast media blowing smoke up Knicks fans ***es.

Something that stands out about RealGM is how different team boards are in regards to activity and culture. It's always interesting lurking boards like the Bucks, especially when Jennings went from steal of the draft future MVP to "Baddy Chuck". The Colangelo era Raptors board was another one.
I may be mistaken but the IQ claimed by the poster was 196 or something like that. His username was Kwsn-men and he created multiple accounts after his original was banned. He is very easy to detect, fanatically pro-Euro basketball and anti-NBA. Just create a thread bashing the level of Euroleague and say it is below NCAA, he would come flying in.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
"I don't step aside, I step up." - Vic Mackey
"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield
"If you come at the king, you best not miss" - Omar Little

Formerly known as nostradamus2005
User avatar
durden_tyler
RealGM
Posts: 10,913
And1: 2,526
Joined: Jun 04, 2003
 

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#167 » by durden_tyler » Yesterday 2:56 pm

Been meaning to ask for a long time: How much did RealGM earn selling the "Trade Checker" to ESPN?

(That was the hook that got me in early 2000s...)
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
User avatar
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 19,059
And1: 4,490
Joined: Jun 15, 2001

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#168 » by Michael Jackson » Yesterday 3:08 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Another one I was following more or less at the same time was basketballboards.net, byt I don't think it exists anymore.

Anyway, my first few years here were spent defending the Jerry Krause's process-before-theprocess babybulls plan.
That I still think was a sound plan, but he hit a timespan when just no real MVP caliber players entered the league (the four drafts between 99 and 02). A few ywars later it might have looked very different.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app



Yeah I would post on BBB.net. There was a small faction that left RealGM and went over there. Yeah the early minutes of this board was very Krause obsessed. Good ole days.
User avatar
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 19,059
And1: 4,490
Joined: Jun 15, 2001

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#169 » by Michael Jackson » Yesterday 3:49 pm

dautjazz wrote:
Egg Nog wrote:RealGM.com in 2000
RealGM.com in 2001
RealGM.com in 2002

RealGM forum in 2001
GUYS...the General Board here has 15 topics and 44 TOTAL POSTS


OMG I remember the 2001 layout. Before RealGM I used to use a forum which I think was called NBA Talk, and then ESPN bought it, which I think eventually became their Insider service.



Yeah it was part of the Chad Ford insider thing that was going on then. Those forums were more like a chat. There was one poster called Sheed’s Dream. God it was hilarious. It was a fun place but the format wasn’t the best.
nickhx2
General Manager
Posts: 8,251
And1: 4,106
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#170 » by nickhx2 » Yesterday 3:58 pm

there was some mention of trueLAfan:

i first encountered him back on fanhome boards (which later turned into scout) and immediately was one of the most knowledgeable and best posters i'd ever encountered. when i eventually came here, at the time he wasn't actively posting, but some years later when clippers senior mod MKwest retired, he came back to take over that role. so, true is still around, but posting on the clips forum only as far as i can tell (for those who liked chatting with him).
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,033
And1: 277
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Raleigh
 

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#171 » by Walt Cronkite » Yesterday 4:43 pm

This has to be one of the all-time classic threads--NBA: should it be made into ONBA?https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=886428&p=18780550&hilit=Outdoor#p18780550
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 66,284
And1: 62,819
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's Stop and Get A Hot Dog
 

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#172 » by Capn'O » Yesterday 6:42 pm

Curtis Lemansky wrote:
SSUBluesman wrote:Prerak...now there's a name I haven't heard for awhile.

While perusing through I don't think that I saw Magnumt mentioned, who was an iconic poster and mod that passed away sadly.

I lurked for awhile before joining, and I'm almost positive I joined to post on the political board where I was most active early on. The Iraq war (and its aftermath) were the dominant discussion points. There was quite a bit of back and forth laying out arguments, providing links, etc. It's commonly pointed out how destructive social media has been on political discourse, but it's even more so when you've had multiple back and forth interactions with someone that you disagree with but don't personally dislike.

The OT board had lots of ****posting and memes before they were a thing. I didn't post there too much early on as I didn't quite get much of it and didn't lurk enough to figure it out. The whole "treadmilled" was always good for a laugh.

I don't have a link to it off hand but the "I'm a genius with an iq of 165" thread was hilarious, even more so if you interacted with or were aware of the poster behind it.

Some Wolves board history:

The disastrous 2004/2005 season and the continuous arguments over what was to blame.
The Mayo/Love trade was very divisive for awhile. Luckily I was posting much less by the time I was decisively wrong lol.
Years of "Rubio wants to play for the Knicks" there and elsewhere thanks to East Coast media blowing smoke up Knicks fans ***es.

Something that stands out about RealGM is how different team boards are in regards to activity and culture. It's always interesting lurking boards like the Bucks, especially when Jennings went from steal of the draft future MVP to "Baddy Chuck". The Colangelo era Raptors board was another one.
I may be mistaken but the IQ claimed by the poster was 196 or something like that. His username was Kwsn-men and he created multiple accounts after his original was banned. He is very easy to detect, fanatically pro-Euro basketball and anti-NBA. Just create a thread bashing the level of Euroleague and say it is below NCAA, he would come flying in.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using RealGM mobile app


There are those who say he still roams these forums to this day...
BAF Clippers
PG: Conley, Melton
SG: SGA, Trent
SF: PG13, Craig
PF: DFS, JM Green
C: Stifle Tower, Holmes

RIP Mags :beer:
"Greatness wasn't worth anything if you couldn't share it."-Kobe
Curtis Lemansky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 5,165
And1: 217
Joined: Feb 12, 2005
Location: Istanbul

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#173 » by Curtis Lemansky » Yesterday 8:01 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Curtis Lemansky wrote:
SSUBluesman wrote:Prerak...now there's a name I haven't heard for awhile.

While perusing through I don't think that I saw Magnumt mentioned, who was an iconic poster and mod that passed away sadly.

I lurked for awhile before joining, and I'm almost positive I joined to post on the political board where I was most active early on. The Iraq war (and its aftermath) were the dominant discussion points. There was quite a bit of back and forth laying out arguments, providing links, etc. It's commonly pointed out how destructive social media has been on political discourse, but it's even more so when you've had multiple back and forth interactions with someone that you disagree with but don't personally dislike.

The OT board had lots of ****posting and memes before they were a thing. I didn't post there too much early on as I didn't quite get much of it and didn't lurk enough to figure it out. The whole "treadmilled" was always good for a laugh.

I don't have a link to it off hand but the "I'm a genius with an iq of 165" thread was hilarious, even more so if you interacted with or were aware of the poster behind it.

Some Wolves board history:

The disastrous 2004/2005 season and the continuous arguments over what was to blame.
The Mayo/Love trade was very divisive for awhile. Luckily I was posting much less by the time I was decisively wrong lol.
Years of "Rubio wants to play for the Knicks" there and elsewhere thanks to East Coast media blowing smoke up Knicks fans ***es.

Something that stands out about RealGM is how different team boards are in regards to activity and culture. It's always interesting lurking boards like the Bucks, especially when Jennings went from steal of the draft future MVP to "Baddy Chuck". The Colangelo era Raptors board was another one.
I may be mistaken but the IQ claimed by the poster was 196 or something like that. His username was Kwsn-men and he created multiple accounts after his original was banned. He is very easy to detect, fanatically pro-Euro basketball and anti-NBA. Just create a thread bashing the level of Euroleague and say it is below NCAA, he would come flying in.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using RealGM mobile app


There are those who say he still roams these forums to this day...
Yes, his new username even might be a Euro who was punched in the face :)

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
"I don't step aside, I step up." - Vic Mackey
"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield
"If you come at the king, you best not miss" - Omar Little

Formerly known as nostradamus2005
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 32,888
And1: 19,184
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
 

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#174 » by MotownMadness » Yesterday 8:18 pm

I made it popular when I left ProSportsDaily
Focus
Sophomore
Posts: 206
And1: 197
Joined: Dec 04, 2004
Location: toronto
   

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#175 » by Focus » Today 2:48 am

contributing one of my fav memories of this board. There was a poster by the name of TheThief or something like that on the magic board. The guy claimed to be a 6'10 semi-pro basketball player, who was working towards a 10 day contract in the NBA. it all started low key, but he eventually started a thread documenting his progress complete with pictures. Eventually he was getting attention board wide. A lot of dedication went into it, the guy fabricated a whole backstory and updated almost daily. of course, he turned out to be a 5'5 300lb lard ass, who prob would have gotten a heart attack if he so much as tried to catch a pass.

Return to The General Board