John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control

Moderators: jamaalstar21, Harry Garris, Dirk, ken6199, infinite11285, Domejandro, bwgood77, bisme37, zimpy27, KingDavid

User avatar
Thabo Sefolosha
Thunder Forum The Opening Tip
Posts: 3,133
And1: 5,987
Joined: Oct 29, 2013
 

John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#1 » by Thabo Sefolosha » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Image
KembaWalker
Head Coach
Posts: 6,554
And1: 3,758
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
   

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#2 » by KembaWalker » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:32 pm

if he wants to play i'm sure the Rockets would be open to buyout negotiations
Image
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 3,082
And1: 973
Joined: Jun 22, 2005
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#3 » by magee » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:34 pm

Tillman Fertita's cheap ass will not pay him to play elsewhere. He should be playing if he's healthy, period. If he wants out and is refusing to play, he's not honoring his contract and they can withhold money. If he wants to play and is healthy, the only way to see where he's at is to play him. They need him right now, too.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 27,210
And1: 48,152
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#4 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:35 pm

I honestly just thought he was hurt.

So the situation is he wants to play and is healthy, but Houston just isn’t playing him? If that is the case, what is Houston plan then? I’m sure Wall isn’t going to opt out of his final year next year. So they plan on just sitting him for 2 straight seasons?
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 32,974
And1: 19,236
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
 

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#5 » by MotownMadness » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:37 pm

I thought they were in a agreement not to play like Blake and Detroit. We bought Blake out with a season and half left though and they need to do the same if this is where both sides are at.

Then he can at least go finish out the year with a playoff team somewhere.
dlts20
RealGM
Posts: 11,661
And1: 5,200
Joined: Dec 14, 2006

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#6 » by dlts20 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:40 pm

Wall wants to play but sitting out is best for him. He's getting healthy and he doesn't mesh with Silas. None of the guards do which is why their young backcourt is shooting in the low 30s on fg percentage. Again, the problem is that Silas does not demand people to actually set picks. All of their bigs/players all slip the picks so the guards never get an advantage and then it forces them into an iso play or just pass around the perimeter to another covered player. Wall shouldn't want to play for him. It's just going to hurt his value. Just wait until he's fired
Gramercy Riffs
Junior
Posts: 284
And1: 385
Joined: Feb 06, 2021
 

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#7 » by Gramercy Riffs » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:42 pm

Why not play him? This is seriously just an overzealous tank job? They don't even owe their 1st round pick to anyone next draft. This makes no sense.
JujitsuFlip
Pro Prospect
Posts: 842
And1: 670
Joined: Sep 10, 2021

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#8 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:42 pm

He agreed to not play lol kinda similar situation to Love is in. They're these overpaid, getting old, injury prone guys. If either were willing to give up money, they could go play for contenders.
User avatar
hauntedcomputer
Senior
Posts: 590
And1: 915
Joined: Apr 18, 2021
Contact:

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#9 » by hauntedcomputer » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:51 pm

Please someone punish me by paying me $40 million a year to sit at home. Please. Hurt me like this.

Spoiler:
Image


The pic is pretty racy and maybe NSFW depending on where you work, so I'm putting it under a spoiler. -b
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
dlts20
RealGM
Posts: 11,661
And1: 5,200
Joined: Dec 14, 2006

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#10 » by dlts20 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:56 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:Please someone punish me by paying me $40 million a year to sit at home. Please. Hurt me like this.

Spoiler:
Image

The money is the money but dudes still want to play.
User avatar
bisme37
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,124
And1: 24,855
Joined: May 24, 2014
 

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#11 » by bisme37 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:59 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I honestly just thought he was hurt.

So the situation is he wants to play and is healthy, but Houston just isn’t playing him? If that is the case, what is Houston plan then? I’m sure Wall isn’t going to opt out of his final year next year. So they plan on just sitting him for 2 straight seasons?


Yeah I thought he was hurt too until the Celtics played Houston the other night and they reported that he had an "agreement" with the team to not play and just be a mentor. The report made it sound like both sides agreed and were cool with it, but that doesn't seem to be Wall's take. Weird situation with two more years on his deal as you pointed out.
bbalnation
Pro Prospect
Posts: 794
And1: 431
Joined: Jan 24, 2006

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#12 » by bbalnation » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:01 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:Please someone punish me by paying me $40 million a year to sit at home. Please. Hurt me like this.

Spoiler:
Image


Not sure how you think employment works in your world.

Hes being paid to play basketball, not sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. Hes better than the players that are playing in front of him. The fact hes not able to play at ALL is questionable at best.
Cubbies2120
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,673
And1: 2,499
Joined: Apr 20, 2012
Location: MD
       

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#13 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:08 pm

bbalnation wrote:
hauntedcomputer wrote:Please someone punish me by paying me $40 million a year to sit at home. Please. Hurt me like this.

Spoiler:
Image


Not sure how you think employment works in your world.

Hes being paid to play basketball, not sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. Hes better than the players that are playing in front of him. The fact hes not able to play at ALL is questionable at best.


Yet the Spurs got fined for resting healthy players...as have other teams...so, what's the deal here?
When they start projecting & attacking you instead of your argument, you've won 8-)
And1 to Post ratio > 1 crew
bbalnation
Pro Prospect
Posts: 794
And1: 431
Joined: Jan 24, 2006

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#14 » by bbalnation » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:11 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
hauntedcomputer wrote:Please someone punish me by paying me $40 million a year to sit at home. Please. Hurt me like this.

Spoiler:
Image


Not sure how you think employment works in your world.

Hes being paid to play basketball, not sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. Hes better than the players that are playing in front of him. The fact hes not able to play at ALL is questionable at best.


Yet the Spurs got fined for resting healthy players...as have other teams...so, what's the deal here?


Context. The reason they benched players.

I actually provided it so we could avoid this back and forth, but meh.
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 26,679
And1: 9,195
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#15 » by TheNewEra » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:12 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
hauntedcomputer wrote:Please someone punish me by paying me $40 million a year to sit at home. Please. Hurt me like this.

Spoiler:
Image


Not sure how you think employment works in your world.

Hes being paid to play basketball, not sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. Hes better than the players that are playing in front of him. The fact hes not able to play at ALL is questionable at best.


Yet the Spurs got fined for resting healthy players...as have other teams...so, what's the deal here?



Wall has a strong enough injury history that he probably has some aches and pains the team can right off as legit dnp. Also watching his team lose so much on the bench I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s taking a toll and guys are complaining for him to help.
JujitsuFlip
Pro Prospect
Posts: 842
And1: 670
Joined: Sep 10, 2021

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#16 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:12 pm

bbalnation wrote:
hauntedcomputer wrote:Please someone punish me by paying me $40 million a year to sit at home. Please. Hurt me like this.

Spoiler:
Image


Not sure how you think employment works in your world.

Hes being paid to play basketball, not sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. Hes better than the players that are playing in front of him. The fact hes not able to play at ALL is questionable at best.


Except he agreed to sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. The face he's not able to play may be questionable but he was fine with it, hence why he agreed to it.
ropjhk
RealGM
Posts: 13,905
And1: 6,639
Joined: Jul 09, 2002
     

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#17 » by ropjhk » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:15 pm

If he's healthy then he should be playing. He's obviously better than perhaps any other player on the Rockets. You can't build up his trade value if he doesn't play.
Cubbies2120
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,673
And1: 2,499
Joined: Apr 20, 2012
Location: MD
       

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#18 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:16 pm

bbalnation wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
Not sure how you think employment works in your world.

Hes being paid to play basketball, not sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. Hes better than the players that are playing in front of him. The fact hes not able to play at ALL is questionable at best.


Yet the Spurs got fined for resting healthy players...as have other teams...so, what's the deal here?


Context. The reason they benched players.

I actually provided it so we could avoid this back and forth, but meh.


I'm not attacking your point - I'm saying it's interesting that the Spurs rested players, they were fined and people supported it because "People pay to see the stars, not the role players". Well, for the Rockets have one widely recognized superstar (Wall) and are resting him when he's clearly able to play. The narrative has changed.

To the Spurs, a team that was at the time competing for a championship, a regular season game was meaningless.
When they start projecting & attacking you instead of your argument, you've won 8-)
And1 to Post ratio > 1 crew
bbalnation
Pro Prospect
Posts: 794
And1: 431
Joined: Jan 24, 2006

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#19 » by bbalnation » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:19 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
hauntedcomputer wrote:Please someone punish me by paying me $40 million a year to sit at home. Please. Hurt me like this.

Spoiler:
Image


Not sure how you think employment works in your world.

Hes being paid to play basketball, not sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. Hes better than the players that are playing in front of him. The fact hes not able to play at ALL is questionable at best.


Except he agreed to sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. The face he's not able to play may be questionable but he was fine with it, hence why he agreed to it.


Clearly hes not fine with it, hes complaining about it on social media. It's not like he was given many options? If he complained about it, especially with the Ben Simmons saga going on, it wouldn't look so great. People would tell him to take a buyout if he wanted to play, which is absurd.

My speculation is that John has gone to the Rockets and asked to play. Im not sure from what point. They've rejected his attempt to play basketball: fulfill his contractual obligations.

My speculation is based off the tweet... hes saying he wants to play. If he can't be traded (which hes accepted), and he can't be bought out for the amount he want (which hes accepted), then he wants to play the sport he loves and showcase his talent (whether to increase his value or prove the haters wrong: there are so many incentives for him to play right now versus sitting on the bench).

You can call me speculative. But hes expressed his frustration and displeasure. Thats how I read the situation, with the facts that are in front of us right now. When John leaves Houston, whether via trade or contract expiration/buyout, well learn more if he wants to share.
BoatsNZones
Veteran
Posts: 2,571
And1: 2,195
Joined: Sep 23, 2020

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#20 » by BoatsNZones » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:19 pm

A lot of politicking in the current NBA due to a lot of money in the current NBA. I predict a potentially very long lockout (and/or strike) during the next CBA after the 2024 season. Both sides have a lot to figure out.

Return to The General Board