John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Sane
Veteran
And1: 1,345

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#161 » by Sane » Mon Jan 3, 2022 12:12 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:Are expiring contracts even worth that much nowadays?

$40m expiring plus Brooklyn’s picks 2023 onwards is an instant rebuild package, a perfect bundle for a disgruntled star on a team that wants to blow it up.

On their own or without great picks, they’re barely valuable.
Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,615

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#162 » by Kingdibs19 » Mon Jan 3, 2022 2:41 pm

Westbrook + THT + First rounder for Wall, Woods & Gordon

Maybe throw KPJ for someone as well
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#163 » by KuruptedCav » Mon Jan 3, 2022 2:47 pm

KembaWalker wrote:if he wants to play i'm sure the Rockets would be open to buyout negotiations

Why? If he’s healthy, willing and able to play the Rockets should be playing him. The league should fine teams because when we look back at his legacy, it’s lessened by the Rockets sitting him while healthy.

Effectively, they’re rolling back the clock and treating him as a commodity instead of a contracted athlete.

And as matching expiring salary in a year, if he can play or if he injures himself, the value is in his contract not his play, so it doesn’t matter. Let the man play.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,285

Post#164 » by Lunartic » Mon Jan 3, 2022 3:54 pm

Kingdibs19 wrote:Westbrook + THT + First rounder for Wall, Woods & Gordon

But how does that help the Rockets? Wood alone is worth THT+picks. Gordon would be a decent fit on the Lakers as a bench gunner but again, why would the Rockets do that?
They can get a late first for Gordon from a team that needs shooting and Wall/Lebron is a poor fit.
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,242

Post#165 » by Cubbies2120 » Mon Jan 3, 2022 3:58 pm

Why do the Rockets do this again? Just to help the Lakers or?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#166 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 3, 2022 4:06 pm

Sane wrote:If Wall wants to show that he loves basketball so much, let him take the biggest paycut in history and bet on himself to make most/all of it back through his newfound freedom and passion.

Hint: he won’t. He cares about 2-3% of his overall wealth more than basketball.

Ridiculous. You asking him to turn down $47M in salary next year plus whatever is lost in a buyout this year. No sane person would walk away from $50M+ just to "bet on himself".
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#167 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 3, 2022 4:10 pm

Sane wrote:
Gusto1903 wrote:Are expiring contracts even worth that much nowadays?

$40m expiring plus Brooklyn’s picks 2023 onwards is an instant rebuild package, a perfect bundle for a disgruntled star on a team that wants to blow it up.

On their own or without great picks, they’re barely valuable.

No it isn't. First of all, it's $47M, not $40M. Secondly, name the team that will trade a good disgruntled star for a $47M expiring contract and a few late picks?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#168 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 3, 2022 4:11 pm

Lunartic wrote:

But how does that help the Rockets? Wood alone is worth THT+picks. Gordon would be a decent fit on the Lakers as a bench gunner but again, why would the Rockets do that?
They can get a late first for Gordon from a team that needs shooting and Wall/Lebron is a poor fit.

Because all teams must sacrifice in order to allow the Lakers to compete for a title every year.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,285

Post#169 » by Lunartic » Mon Jan 3, 2022 4:21 pm

nate33 wrote:
Lunartic wrote:

Because all teams must sacrifice in order to allow the Lakers to compete for a title every year.

Good point, perhaps a Zach Lavine for THT trade would help?
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#170 » by andyhop » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:12 am

nate33 wrote:Ridiculous. You asking him to turn down $47M in salary next year plus whatever is lost in a buyout this year. No sane person would walk away from $50M+ just to "bet on himself".

I don't blame him for prioritising the money over basketball but once you do that you lose the right to complain about the basketball side of things
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,092

Post#171 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:14 am

andyhop wrote:
nate33 wrote:Ridiculous. You asking him to turn down $47M in salary next year plus whatever is lost in a buyout this year. No sane person would walk away from $50M+ just to "bet on himself".

I don't blame him for prioritising the money over basketball but once you do that you lose the right to complain about the basketball side of things

hes good enough to play though. if this was the ben simmons and the player was sitting out i would understand this line of thinking, but the guy not playing because the team wants to intentionnally lose isnt the same thing.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#172 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:17 am

andyhop wrote:

He's the best point guard on the roster, easily. He is healthy. And he is not playing because the team is intentionally tanking. He absolutely has a right to complain.

He doesn't have a right to walk out on the team or anything like that, but he has a right to complain.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#173 » by andyhop » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:19 am

nate33 wrote:
andyhop wrote:

He's the best point guard on the roster, easily. He is healthy. And he is not playing because the team is intentionally tanking. He absolutely has a right to complain.

He doesn't have a right to walk out on the team or anything like that, but he has a right to complain.

He was offered a binary choice Money or Basketball , he chose Money as most would. When you make a choice you live with the consequences
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,088

Post#174 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:20 am

andyhop wrote:

Bingo!
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Post#175 » by HotelVitale » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:22 am

bbalnation wrote:
hauntedcomputer wrote:Please someone punish me by paying me $40 million a year to sit at home. Please. Hurt me like this.]
Not sure how you think employment works in your world. Hes being paid to play basketball, not sit on the bench meaninginglessly, in meaningless games. Hes better than the players that are playing in front of him. The fact hes not able to play at ALL is questionable at best.

Not sure how you think employment works, but a company generally gets to do whatever it thinks is best for itself as long as it doesn't break laws. Employee is free to quit or find a different situation but it's not illegal or even that unusual for a company to pay you and not have you work. My org has done it with two people in the last couple months at my work, little awkward but life goes on.

Lockdown504090 wrote:hes good enough to play though. if this was the ben simmons and the player was sitting out i would understand this line of thinking, but the guy not playing because the team wants to intentionnally lose isnt the same thing.

He's good enough to play but it's in the team's interest not to play him. Pretty straightforward, they're paying him to have his exclusive basketball-playing rights and they can exercise that by not playing him. And he can opt out of that contract if he wants to.

I'm super pro-player in contract and revenue-related stuff but there's no 'right to playing time' or anything like that in contracts. You'd have to prove that a team had some weird malicious intent when not playing him (like they intentionally signed him to keep him off the court) to have a case there. It's clear why they're not playing him and it makes sense though.

Return to The General Board