John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control

Moderators: jamaalstar21, Harry Garris, Dirk, ken6199, infinite11285, Domejandro, bwgood77, bisme37, zimpy27, KingDavid

Pharmcat
RealGM
Posts: 54,036
And1: 14,571
Joined: Oct 05, 2002

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#81 » by Pharmcat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:41 am

Westbrook for wall. Lakers finally get that pass first pg they need
Image
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
Posts: 23,580
And1: 2,461
Joined: Sep 11, 2009

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#82 » by bullsnewdynasty » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:00 am

It's not the Rockets fault that he's completely untradeable due to his contract.
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 23,172
And1: 21,727
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#83 » by mademan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:10 pm

But ya, it's situations like this that make me have no sympathy for when a player does some dirt to a team like Simmons on Philly. FO's get away with doing guys wrong like this all the time
cl2117
Head Coach
Posts: 7,253
And1: 5,489
Joined: Jun 14, 2013
 

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#84 » by cl2117 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:20 pm

I feel like there should be some sort of crappy rhyme for this scenario "don't take the dime if you can't do the time".

Can't blame the Rockets for doing what's best for them in terms of long-term development and giving kids chance to play. Wall has fallen off to the point where you can't even recover value for him like CP3/RWB did. Don't think giving him minutes is going to change that given his price tag and injury concern. I get it's frustrating, but you're banking close to $100 million over the next two years. Find a hobby or give some money back. It is what it is.

Silas is really the guy getting punished here. I don't understand how you can build a tanking roster, leave Wall rotting on the sidelines and then try and can the guy for "underperformance".
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
tcheco
Pro Prospect
Posts: 788
And1: 378
Joined: Jan 15, 2015

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#85 » by tcheco » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:23 pm

Tricky situation, we might see some new rules being created sooner rather than later.

Even if the Rockets want to tank and preserve his health, it could be ok to have him play 10, 15 minutes every other night at least, no? Sure he still can get injured, but it can also improve his trade value if he manages to elevate the team a bit, and can also help the kids improve.

I mean, if I was Wall, I would at least propose that. I can understand the rockets not wanting to play him 30 minutes a night, but it has to be a common ground if he wants to play
Packbuckman
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,317
And1: 528
Joined: Oct 02, 2019
     

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#86 » by Packbuckman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:29 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/24/john-wall-rockets-strange-situation

"Teams are interested in Wall but only if he declines his $47 million player option for next season (he won’t) or wriggles free via buyout in this one (he isn’t)".

Wall has a lot of control in this situation.


Ya that’s some kind of control give up tens of millions of dollars that’s easy for you to say it’s not your money. The Rockets knew how much he was making when they traded for him they should not be able to just sit him thats some bull there.
JujitsuFlip
Pro Prospect
Posts: 850
And1: 674
Joined: Sep 10, 2021

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#87 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:12 pm

Packbuckman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/24/john-wall-rockets-strange-situation

"Teams are interested in Wall but only if he declines his $47 million player option for next season (he won’t) or wriggles free via buyout in this one (he isn’t)".

Wall has a lot of control in this situation.


Ya that’s some kind of control give up tens of millions of dollars that’s easy for you to say it’s not your money. The Rockets knew how much he was making when they traded for him they should not be able to just sit him thats some bull there.


The man has made over $188 million in just playing salary in his career. He can never get paid another day in his life and his family would be set for generations. The dude owns part of an NBL team for crying out loud. This guy has made almost as much money in endorsements as playing salary in his career.

No NBA team is obligated to play any player. Wall signed a contract, if he doesn't like his situation, he has multiple avenues to get out of it.
Packbuckman
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,317
And1: 528
Joined: Oct 02, 2019
     

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#88 » by Packbuckman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:14 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/24/john-wall-rockets-strange-situation

"Teams are interested in Wall but only if he declines his $47 million player option for next season (he won’t) or wriggles free via buyout in this one (he isn’t)".

Wall has a lot of control in this situation.


Ya that’s some kind of control give up tens of millions of dollars that’s easy for you to say it’s not your money. The Rockets knew how much he was making when they traded for him they should not be able to just sit him thats some bull there.


The man has made over $188 million in just playing salary in his career. He can never get paid another day in his life and his family would be set for generations. The dude owns part of an NBL team for crying out loud. This guy has made almost as much money in endorsements as playing salary in his career.

No NBA team is obligated to play any player. Wall signed a contract, if he doesn't like his situation, he has multiple avenues to get out of it.


Who cares how much he’s made that has nothing to do about about anything. Why give money back to a team that traded for you they knew what his contract was same as Simmons he knew what he was signing honor the contracts which is to play basketball they should be fined just like Simmons is.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
Posts: 10,055
And1: 7,928
Joined: Oct 17, 2011
Location: #EmbraceTheTreadmill
 

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#89 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:31 pm

.01% first world problems

Image
"Yes because he completely turned around a disastrous 5-12 team and helped them in every facet of the game. If Melo keeps it up, he is legit MVP candidate."

-EricMillegan
JujitsuFlip
Pro Prospect
Posts: 850
And1: 674
Joined: Sep 10, 2021

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#90 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:46 pm

Packbuckman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:
Ya that’s some kind of control give up tens of millions of dollars that’s easy for you to say it’s not your money. The Rockets knew how much he was making when they traded for him they should not be able to just sit him thats some bull there.


The man has made over $188 million in just playing salary in his career. He can never get paid another day in his life and his family would be set for generations. The dude owns part of an NBL team for crying out loud. This guy has made almost as much money in endorsements as playing salary in his career.

No NBA team is obligated to play any player. Wall signed a contract, if he doesn't like his situation, he has multiple avenues to get out of it.


Who cares how much he’s made that has nothing to do about about anything. Why give money back to a team that traded for him they knew what his contract was same as Simmons he knew what he was signing honor the contracts which is to play basketball they should be fined just like Simmons is.

I'll repeat, no team is obligated to play any player. I don't see this same engery for bench scrubs not playing on all 30 teams.
User avatar
Jcity08
General Manager
Posts: 7,947
And1: 10,328
Joined: May 06, 2018
       

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#92 » by Jcity08 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:28 am

I'd actually be pissed off more if I was paying a guy $40 mil to ride the bench. But I guess the Rockets are going hard with tanking. Currently the worst team on paper.
Image

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2021-22 season.
lamscott
Analyst
Posts: 3,196
And1: 2,812
Joined: Jul 09, 2010
 

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#93 » by lamscott » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:17 am

Rockets pay him to be a Rocket.

He is a Rocket.

Everything else is just noise.
Pythagoras
Veteran
Posts: 2,904
And1: 2,474
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: KC, Mo
     

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#94 » by Pythagoras » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:19 am

Just to recap, the Rockets are telling Wall, that if he doesn’t agree to take a massive buyout to save their BILLIONAIRE owner a few more million, they would rather pay him his salary to sit and ride the bench than pay him his salary to play for them. Somehow people think this is justifiable.
Numbers rule the universe.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 15,820
And1: 6,314
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#95 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:37 am

John Wall just isn't as good since his Achilles injury is one reason. The other reason is all young teams that are trying to develop young players, only play young players.



Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
BloodNinja
Veteran
Posts: 2,909
And1: 4,544
Joined: Mar 05, 2016

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#96 » by BloodNinja » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:29 am

Pythagoras wrote:Just to recap, the Rockets are telling Wall, that if he doesn’t agree to take a massive buyout to save their BILLIONAIRE owner a few more million, they would rather pay him his salary to sit and ride the bench than pay him his salary to play for them. Somehow people think this is justifiable.


It is justifiable - there is no obligation to play a certain player.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 15,820
And1: 6,314
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#97 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:53 am

If Houston waived Wall he would have a tough time finding a job for the minimum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
thebirdman
General Manager
Posts: 8,367
And1: 1,937
Joined: Aug 15, 2004
Location: Slovenia
 

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#98 » by thebirdman » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:50 am

There are worse things than sitting on the bench for 40 mio $ per year...
art_tatum
Analyst
Posts: 3,129
And1: 2,788
Joined: Jun 01, 2018
 

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#99 » by art_tatum » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:57 am

Why not just play him to get butts on the seats and if they are getting too good as in catching up to the 3rd worst team, sit him again.
He has no trade value as a player so doesn't matter if he gets injured.
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 16,310
And1: 7,660
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: John Wall On Him Sitting Out Games: Says He’s Getting Punished For Something He Can’t Control 

Post#100 » by queridiculo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:07 pm

basketballRob wrote:If Houston waived Wall he would have a tough time finding a job for the minimum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


Nonsense, he'd have offers from 5 to 10 teams easy.

Return to The General Board