Is Anthony Edwards just Wiggins with a motor & ambition ?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Re: Is Anthony Edwards just Wiggins with a motor & ambition ? 

Post#81 » by michaelm » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:59 pm

vagelis wrote:This is from the last game against Portland.
Wiggins head to the rim without even trying.
The case with him is that he does not showcase his athleticism. I think if he goes full trying he can jump a lot higher than the rim.

I want him to take part in a dunk contest for one single time. If he becomes an all star this year it maybe is the time

Read on Twitter

I am pretty much a Wiggins fan, but my rating of him is somewhere between yours and FNQ’s.

I agree with FNQ he is not being under utilised, he is being used close to perfectly imo, having a significant impact on both ends, I am very happy he is playing for GSW and he himself would seem rather happy in his current situation, have you Iever previously seen him smiling as much as he does now ?.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#82 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:39 pm

Is lebron james basicly anthony edwards with more court vision and size?

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#83 » by vagelis » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:37 pm

michaelm wrote:I am pretty much a Wiggins fan, but my rating of him is somewhere between yours and FNQ’s.

I agree with FNQ he is not being Uber utilised, he is being used close to perfectly imo, having a significant impact on both ends, I am wry happy he is playing for GSW and he himself would seem rather happy in his current situation, have you Iever previously seen him smiling as much as he does now ?.

Right now he is used more than in the beginning of the season.
Kerr has incorporated him better in his system. And Curry seems that he has a better connection with him in games.
Draymond Green always had a good connection with Wiggins and he supported him all this time as I far as I saw.

In the last 9 games Wiggins has 47 touches per game and scores 23.6 ppg with 56.5 fg% in those games (at the beginning of the season he had around 36 touches per game and scored around 15ppg with 42-43fg%).
His role got bigger in the last 9 games and his efficiency got bigger. It seems that the Warriors trust him more.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches/?Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&LastNGames=9&TeamID=1610612744

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&LastNGames=9&TeamID=1610612744

This is fine for me I cannot complain about his role in the last games.

But it is obvious that having him take more touches his production raised and his efficiency raised in the last 9 games. Wiggins always plays better when he is more involved.
His efficiency always goes up when he gets a bigger role. That is because he is a kind of player who needs the ball to take rythm and self confidence.

This happened with the Timberwolves when he had his worst efficient seasons when his role decreased with Thibodeau,
this happened last year when he played a lot better and efficient with a bigger role when Oubre got out of the lineup,
this happens this year too in the last 9 games

Anyway, yes, he is in a very good situation for him right now and he seems happy.
And yes Warriors fans do not wait his first mistake in order to blame him for all the problems of the franchise.
It seems a very good environment for him.
But personally I think he can do more. He always can do more, his talent has no limit
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#84 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:28 pm

vagelis wrote:
michaelm wrote:I am pretty much a Wiggins fan, but my rating of him is somewhere between yours and FNQ’s.

I agree with FNQ he is not being Uber utilised, he is being used close to perfectly imo, having a significant impact on both ends, I am wry happy he is playing for GSW and he himself would seem rather happy in his current situation, have you Iever previously seen him smiling as much as he does now ?.

Kerr has incorporated him better in his system. And Curry seems that he has a better connection with him in games.
Draymond Green always had a good connection with Wiggins and he supported him all this time as I far as I saw.

In the last 9 games Wiggins has 47 touches per game and scores 23.6 ppg with 56.5 fg% in those games (at the beginning of the season he had around 36 touches per game and scored around 15ppg with 42-43fg%).
His role got bigger in the last 9 games and his efficiency got bigger. It seems that the Warriors trust him more.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches/?Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&LastNGames=9&TeamID=1610612744

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&LastNGames=9&TeamID=1610612744

But it is obvious that having him take more touches his production raised and his efficiency raised in the last 9 games. Wiggins always plays better when he is more involved.
His efficiency always goes up when he gets a bigger role. That is because he is a kind of player who needs the ball to take rythm and self confidence.

This happened with the Timberwolves when he had his worst efficient seasons when his role decreased with Thibodeau,
this happened last year when he played a lot better and efficient with a bigger role when Oubre got out of the lineup,

Anyway, yes, he is in a very good situation for him right now and he seems happy.
And yes Warriors fans do not wait his first mistake in order to blame him for all the problems of the franchise.
But personally I think he can do more. He always can do more, his talent has no limit

He got healthier and more aggressive. He'll continue to get touches the more he cuts.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#85 » by michaelm » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:32 am

vagelis wrote:

We mostly agree. They definitely don’t need major ball handling/playmaking from him though even if he isn’t as bad at same as is being said, which they didn’t really need from Durant either, they already have elite championship proven guys for that in Curry and Green, and Iguodala from the bench, who still makes the team better imo, and I hope they are just being ultra cautious with Andre currently to preserve him for the play-offs

Perhaps oddly/ironically imo Wigs’ athleticism is being under estimated now, at least on this thread. There is an even better recent dunk than the one you posted on this thread where his whole head is above the rim, and I don’t know how many guys who run around on defense as he does can get that high; if Steph Curry is impressed by same I think it is permissible for fans to be impressed as well. He has also been making important buckets when the game is in the balance recently, even after having a quiet first half.

As I said in a previous post I see no problems with either his motor or his ambition at present. He may also still have potential improvement as you say, particularly with Klay to return, and him working better with Curry, as you say perhaps partly because Curry now values him more highly but also because the team as a whole took some time to integrate the complicated offensive pattern which didn’t work with Oubre +/- Wiseman starting last year, as Poole is also doing. If Edwards whom I haven’t really seen is as good as people think maybe he will be an MVP level player, but he will need to be highly elite to be more valuable than current Wiggins is to GSW, again imo.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#86 » by michaelm » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:32 am

Double
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,406

Post#87 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:11 am

Let me know when the Wolves get better. Wiggins had a very good start in his first three years on the Wovles.

I think he has more refined skills vs Wiggins....but he still feels like a guy that plays one side of the ball and does nothing to make anyone around him better.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#88 » by michaelm » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:00 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Let me know when the Wolves get better. Wiggins had a very good start in his first three years on the Wovles.

I think he has more refined skills vs Wiggins....but he still feels like a guy that plays one side of the ball and does nothing to make anyone around him better.

They are 10-10 and just had a big win against the Sixers with Embiid playing, and DeLo scoring 35 points, so may be there is a hint of light. I wish DeLo the best btw, he was a terrible fit with the talents he did have redundant at GSW, but that was not his fault.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#89 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:18 am

I’m hoping Anthony Edwards is JR Rider with his head on right.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,712

Post#90 » by thinktank » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:45 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Let me know when the Wolves get better. Wiggins had a very good start in his first three years on the Wovles.

Have you watched him much?

For example, he almost stole it from Embiid in thr last seconds last night and then partially blocked his shot.

Edwards is a better than average defender. I think it’s pretty clear already.

He also had 6 or 7 assists last night.
"a poor addition to the board"
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#91 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:02 pm

vagelis wrote:
This happened with the Timberwolves when he had his worst efficient seasons when his role decreased with Thibodeau

Delusional. Wiggins had the most FG attempts on that roster with Jimmy and KAT in 17/18 season, 15.9, everybody was encouraging him to be the 1st option, Jimmy did too, but Wiggins simply wasn't good enough. He's only good on the Warriors because of Curry's impact on offense, Wiggins always has some sort of advantageous position because Curry draws so much attention to himself, so his awful handle is not needed in order for him to be put in a good position to score. If he had to utilize his handle, he'd look awful, but since you've been Wiggins' PR on realgm for years, you won't be honest enough to admit this.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Post#92 » by Big J » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:10 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
vagelis wrote:
This happened with the Timberwolves when he had his worst efficient seasons when his role decreased with Thibodeau

Delusional. Wiggins had the most FG attempts on that roster with Jimmy and KAT in 17/18 season, 15.9, everybody was encouraging him to be the 1st option, Jimmy did too, but Wiggins simply wasn't good enough. He's only good on the Warriors because of Curry's impact on offense, Wiggins always has some sort of advantageous position because Curry draws so much attention to himself, so his awful handle is not needed in order for him to be put in a good position to score. If he had to utilize his handle, he'd look awful, but since you've been Wiggins' PR on realgm for years, you won't be honest enough to admit this.

Wiggins has improved markably. He seems happy and not depressed like he was when he lived in snowy cold Minnesota. That and winning have completely changed his demeanor.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:14 pm

Big J wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:
vagelis wrote:

Wiggins has improved markably. He seems happy and not depressed like he was when he lived in snowy cold Minnesota. That and winning have completely changed his demeanor.

He's improved at being a role player. Ask him to do things on a team that doesn't have an all time great that's at worst a top 3 offensive player in the league, and he'll have to create for himself a lot and therefor use his handle. That situation would show you that he can't be a part of your offensive core, because his handle is simply awful. I'm glad he's doing well as a role player, but Anthony Edwards is in a different stratosphere, he's a future all star and the franchise cornerstone which Wiggins can't be for anybody.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#94 » by weekend_warrior » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:14 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:Everybody was encouraging him to be the 1st option, Jimmy did too, but Wiggins simply wasn't good enough.

This is true. But there were/are a lot of players in the league where this applies - really high usage and some impressive counting stats but ultimately just not good enough to win anything in such a role. There are enough examples for such players as well who finally ended up on a winning team but couldn't adjust their approach and kept chucking away instead.

So kudos to Wiggins for buying into the system and trying to maximize his contribution in a less glorious role. That might ultimately be more valuable than these players mentioned above.

For Edwards all of this is still unclear. He could become a solid #1 option, he could also be an empty stats guy or he finds a role somewhere in the middle. Potential is there but a long way to go.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:18 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:Everybody was encouraging him to be the 1st option, Jimmy did too, but Wiggins simply wasn't good enough.

This is true. But there were/are a lot of players in the league where this applies - really high usage and some impressive counting stats but ultimately just not good enough to win anything in such a role. There are enough examples for such players as well who finally ended up on a winning team but couldn't adjust their approach and kept chucking away instead.

So kudos to Wiggins for buying into the system and trying to maximize his contribution in a less glorious role. That might ultimately be more valuable than these players mentioned above.

For Edwards all of this is still unclear. He could become a solid #1 option, he could also be an empty stats guy or he finds a role somewhere in the middle. Potential is there but a long way to go.

I agree with you on everything but the last paragraph. Anthony Edwards, barring some serious health issues, is a 2-way all star. Maybe the 1b/2nd option in the regular season, with bigger role in the playoffs because his game is tailor-made for the playoffs, but he's one of those can't-fail future stars in my mind. It's almost as obvious as it was with Curry when he was playing with Monta in his 1st year in the league.

edit: what Edwards is on top of his offensive game is a vastly improved defender who plays high minutes on a currently top 10 defense or smth.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#96 » by weekend_warrior » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:27 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
weekend_warrior wrote:

I agree with you on everything but the last paragraph. Anthony Edwards, barring some serious health issues, is a 2-way all star. Maybe the 1b/2nd option in the regular season, with bigger role in the playoffs because his game is tailor-made for the playoffs, but he's one of those can't-fail future stars in my mind. It's almost as obvious as it was with Curry when he was playing with Monta in his 1st year in the league.

I cannot really argue with you, I didn't watch Edwards that much. Going a bit more by the numbers right now. So far he's a high volume player at below league average efficiency. He needs to become at least slightly above average there to become a real winning player. And significantly more efficient to be a championship caliber #1 option.

But to be fair, there are imo usually at best 5-8 such guys in the league. Right now it's Curry, Jokic, Giannis, KD, some question marks with Kawhi, Lebron and the rest might already be better off with joining one of those players.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:47 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:
weekend_warrior wrote:

I cannot really argue with you, I didn't watch Edwards that much. Going a bit more by the numbers right now. So far he's a high volume player at below league average efficiency. He needs to become at least slightly above average there to become a real winning player. And significantly more efficient to be a championship caliber #1 option.

But to be fair, there are imo usually at best 5-8 such guys in the league. Right now it's Curry, Jokic, Giannis, KD, some question marks with Kawhi, Lebron and the rest might already be better off with joining one of those players.

He's slightly above average when it comes to league-wide guard efficiency. But he's a great passer for his position too, and a 2-way player, his defense is great. And all of this as a 20 year old in his 2nd year. He's got better numbers and efficiency than a lot of those guys in the top 10 range had at his age, and he absolutely passes the eye test. He doesn't need to be in that 5-8 range in order to be a key piece on a contender, I too consider it not that likely that he will be a serious MVP candidate ever, but who knows. He's top 20-bound imo, he can interchangeably be 1a/1b with KAT.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#98 » by vagelis » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:48 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
vagelis wrote:

The FG attempts is a part of the story.
For people who watched some games then(the Thibodeau seasons), Wiggins was standing in the corner and waited a pass at the end of the clock.
He cached and shooted the ball at the end of the clock. That was far away from his strengths especially then when he was not a good shooter. He is a better shooter now.

Wiggins went from 51.3 touches per game in 2016/17 to 41.3 tpg in 2017/18.
He had the ball 3.35 sec per touch in 2016/17.
This changed to 2.90 sec per touch in 2017/18.

So he had the ball a lot less the year that Butler arrived.

I think it is easy to understand. I said his role decreased, not his shot attempts decreased
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:55 pm

vagelis wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:
vagelis wrote:

The FG attempts is a part of the story.
For people who watched some games then(the Thibodeau seasons), Wiggins was standing in the corner and waited a pass at the end of the clock.
He cached and shooted the ball at the end of the clock. That was far away from his strengths especially then when he was not a good shooter. He is a better shooter now.

Wiggins went from 51.3 touches per game in 2016/17 to 41.3 tpg in 2017/18.
He had the ball 3.35 sec per touch in 2016/17.
This changed to 2.90 sec per touch in 2017/18.

So he had the ball a lot less the year that Butler arrived.

I think it is easy to understand. I said his role decreased, not his shot attempts decreased

Everybody's role decreases when another high usage player joins the team, like Butler was. Even Lebron's role decreased when he left the Cavs and joined Miami. If Wiggins, who was still the 1st option on the team, evidenced by FG attempted, can't adapt to this slight drop in touches per game and sec per touch on a winning team, is it really the situation that the team did him wrong, or that he's just not good enough? Regressing after 3-4-5 years in the league and you're the one to blame, it's not your FO's or coach's decisions to blame. How many excuses you're willing to make for Wiggins is appalling, it's like you're his girlfriend or smth.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,485

Post#100 » by Pelly24 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:04 pm

righterwriter wrote:He would easily average 25 ppg as a #1 option on most non-playoff teams. If he had a perfect handle he could average 30ppg. Not sure why him not being perfect in every aspect makes him a limited offensive player in the eyes of some people.

The irony of Wiggins and him having "one of the worst contracts in the league" (as many fans have said here) is that he will almost definitely get somewhere between $25-30M/yr on his next contract.

A 6'7 wing who scores 20+ppg, plays lockdown D, shoots efficiently, and is an integral part of one of the best teams in the league, especially when they are only 28 years old like Wiggins, will be in high demand.

Wiggins has been great this year and was solid last year. The biggest difference for him is that he's not being asked to create his own shots. He's just finishing plays cutting and shooting, and then on the other end, playing defense. With that, he's a little above typical league average efficiency the last couple years. I don't think that projects well for averaging 25 ppg on a non-playoff team. He's got not offensive imagination, a very lackluster handle and a streaky jumper. Nothing wrong that. Being a 20 ppg player with good defense on a great team is awesome.

All that said, he will absolutely get a really good contract on his next go-round. His contract has been roughly worth it in GSW. Two-way wing that gets 20 ppg is useful on absolutely any team.

Return to The General Board