Rockets won 5 in a row. What's happening?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,080

Re: Rockets won 5 in a row. What's happening? 

Post#41 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Dec 6, 2021 6:23 am

So who knew the key to tanking was just starting Jalen Green. Give OKC a heads up, they don't need to drastically tank anymore lol.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#42 » by RollingWave » Mon Dec 6, 2021 6:27 am

It also helps they've played a series of bad teams lately. 4 of the 6 wins are against OKC/Orlando/Pelicans, they did beat the Bulls and Hornets also, but Hornets was on a b2b on the road, so only really the Bulls game really kinda raised eyebrows.

But yes, them playing a lot more 1 big and Eric Gordon instead of Jalen Green + KPJ with 2 bigs is helpful too.
The river of time wash away all heroes
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#43 » by God Squad » Mon Dec 6, 2021 12:42 pm

Jalen Green had a -20.8 NET rating and a -5.8 BPM prior to getting hurt. How anyone's surprised they win without him shooting and mucking up defense is beyond me.
Read on Twitter

Finally building chemistry lol. Christian Wood gonna lose his mind once Green comes back and shoots 13-16 times per game with a 4-16 efficiency and no defense.

Edit : Also huuge credit for Matthews for seizing his opportunity and staying ready. This kid has been super efficient from 3 and has a little bit of bounce to his game.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#44 » by BallerTalk » Mon Dec 6, 2021 1:08 pm

Hilarious.

No matter how much info or insight the handful of Rockets fans around here try to inject into threads like this, you still have a contingent of dimwitted morons steadfastly determined to drag it into the realm of dumbassery.

P.S. if you think this comment is directed at you, it probably is.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,833

Post#45 » by nikster » Mon Dec 6, 2021 3:36 pm

BallerTalk wrote:Hilarious.

No matter how much info or insight the handful of Rockets fans around here try to inject into threads like this, you still have a contingent of dimwitted morons steadfastly determined to drag it into the realm of dumbassery.

Whats hilarious is calling posters dumbasses before we see what this team looks like in Greens return.
ocelot17
Starter
And1: 3,829

Post#46 » by ocelot17 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 3:48 pm

nikster wrote:

Whats hilarious is calling posters dumbasses before we see what this team looks like in Greens return.

Don’t act like y’all even watch rockets games. All you do is regurgitate stats with no context behind it.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#47 » by Lalouie » Mon Dec 6, 2021 3:59 pm

the basketball gods wants this season to be the most egalitarian season ever

ALL .500 teams
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by BallerTalk » Mon Dec 6, 2021 4:11 pm

nikster wrote:

Actually I called them "morons".

Any dumbass can read that.

:wink:
-
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#49 » by K_chile22 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 5:41 pm

Green is a negative player rn for sure, pretty much all high usage (19 yo) rookies not LeBron level are. But a lot of what'
s going on in this thread is missing nuance or just confirmation bias. The two big thing is huge.

Green with Wood on and no other big lineups are +2.4 per 100 poss in 250 minutes. In the other 900 minutes, almost all of which are two big lineups, they're -24. Giving EG a bigger role is helping because EG is really good and at this point Green is not (which is normal!) but boiling that down to the only factor is lazy. Wood was hot garbage at the four, the two big + Tate lineups were -29.7 and made up half of Green's minutes played, as they had absolutely no spacing as Wood wasn't hitting 3s at the time so the entire lineup was sub-33% on 3s. Adding Garrison Mathews has been huge for those spacing woes, Armoni Brooks getting minutes has helped as well
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,739

Post#50 » by Jadoogar » Mon Dec 6, 2021 6:33 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:So who knew the key to tanking was just starting Jalen Green. Give OKC a heads up, they don't need to drastically tank anymore lol.

Most rookies are terrible and hurt the team when they are on the floor. Out of the rookies that have played atleast 15mpg and 10 games, only 3 have a positive +/- per game

Austin Reaves - 3.8
Evan Mobley - 3.3
Chris Duarte - 1.4

Scottie Barnes is -1.9
Sengun is -3.1
Franz Wagner -3.8
Suggs -4.5
Cunningham -4.6
Giddey -7.6

Granted Jalen Green has been really bad (-13.8), he plays on an awful team and isn't really put in a good position to succeed.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#51 » by K_chile22 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 6:55 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:So who knew the key to tanking was just starting Jalen Green. Give OKC a heads up, they don't need to drastically tank anymore lol.

Most rookies are terrible and hurt the team when they are on the floor. Out of the rookies that have played atleast 15mpg and 10 games, only 3 have a positive +/- per game

Austin Reaves - 3.8
Evan Mobley - 3.3
Chris Duarte - 1.4

Scottie Barnes is -1.9
Sengun is -3.1
Franz Wagner -3.8
Suggs -4.5
Cunningham -4.6
Giddey -7.6

Granted Jalen Green has been really bad (-13.8), he plays on an awful team and isn't really put in a good position to succeed.

Would also note that the guys doing better here are in lower usage roles where it's easier to be a positive/not be a negative vs guys like Cade, Giddey and Green. All those guys have usages much higher than they should because their teams are prioritizing development over winning games, as they should
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,833

Post#52 » by nikster » Mon Dec 6, 2021 7:22 pm

:evil:
ocelot17 wrote:
nikster wrote:

Don’t act like y’all even watch rockets games. All you do is regurgitate stats with no context behind it.

I've watched a couple games. Like I said, we will see who is right when he returns.

BTW what context is missing from the stats people used?
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,080

Post#53 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Dec 6, 2021 7:39 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

Austin Reaves - 3.8
Evan Mobley - 3.3
Chris Duarte - 1.4

Scottie Barnes is -1.9
Sengun is -3.1
Franz Wagner -3.8
Suggs -4.5
Cunningham -4.6
Giddey -7.6

Would also note that the guys doing better here are in lower usage roles where it's easier to be a positive/not be a negative vs guys like Cade, Giddey and Green. All those guys have usages much higher than they should because their teams are prioritizing development over winning games, as they should

I get being defensive about Green. My post was mostly sarcastic lol.

Im clearly not making any real judgment of Green so early in his career. I haven't watched enough to do that but it does look like there are a lot of areas for improvement still, not just scoring.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#54 » by K_chile22 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 7:45 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

Austin Reaves - 3.8
Evan Mobley - 3.3
Chris Duarte - 1.4

Scottie Barnes is -1.9
Sengun is -3.1
Franz Wagner -3.8
Suggs -4.5
Cunningham -4.6
Giddey -7.6

I get being defensive about Green. My post was mostly sarcastic lol.

Im clearly not making any real judgment of Green so early in his career. I haven't watched enough to do that but it does look like there are a lot of areas for improvement still, not just scoring.

I wasn't disagreeing with the post I quoted at all if that's how it came out, high usage rookies are generally bad, was just adding onto it
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,164

Post#55 » by og15 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 9:25 pm

Else_where wrote:Weren't they supposed to be tanking?

Teams can tank by putting rosters on the floor that they don't believe have enough to win. Players don't generally tank, players go out there to win, if the roster is trash and can't win, then that is what it is.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#56 » by macNcheese3 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 9:41 pm

Good for the Rockets, losing sucks its nice to still watch your team win a few games or show signs of promise. They will end up with a good lottery pick.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,918

Post#57 » by tundraknight » Thu Dec 9, 2021 12:08 am

Let’s see if the Rockets can Shock The World and win their 6th in a row against the Mighty Nets!!!
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#58 » by reamily » Thu Dec 9, 2021 3:21 am

Lol theyre winning with josh christopher at helm..
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,966

Post#59 » by Liam_Gallagher » Thu Dec 9, 2021 3:30 am

Nets starting lineup is sneakily terrible tonight.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by BallerTalk » Thu Dec 9, 2021 3:35 am

-

Return to The General Board