2021-22 NBA MVP Discussion (Pt. 1)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who is the MVP so far? (Poll Re-set 1/14/22)

Stephen Curry
5%
Nikola Jokic
39%
Giannis Antetokounmpo
26%
Kevin Durant
2%
Joel Embiid
14%
Chris Paul
5%
Ja Morant
3%
Rudy Gobert
1%
DeMar Derozan
2%
LeBron James
3%

Total votes: 288

MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,075

Re: 2021-22 NBA MVP Discussion (Pt. 1) 

Post#1001 » by MrSparkle » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:46 pm

shoresy69 wrote:Here is my attempt at quantifying "gravity". I'll call it True Shooting Influence. Heavily inspired by this 538 article written back in 2017. Credit to NBA Wowy/Add More Funds for the data.

This looks at teammate TS% when the team's MVP candidate is on and off the court. The TS% differential is calculated for each teammate and then weighted based on how many true shooting attempts they've taken. I'm still fine-tuning the weightings but the results come out nearly the same regardless of method. The goal is one simple number that expresses a player's influence on his teammates' scoring efficiency.

I've only calculated it for a handful of stars but here are the results for this season so far:

1. Stephen Curry +5.40
2. LeBron James +4.24
3. Kevin Durant +3.42
4. Nikola Jokic +3.30
5. Joel Embiid +3.25
6. Giannis Ant. +3.23
7. Chris Paul +2.78

Very nice. This stat is what the NBA needs.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#1002 » by slick_watts » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:06 pm

in a fair and just world, if the season ended today, nikola jokic would win mvp in a landslide. he is having one of the greatest individual seasons of all time.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Post#1003 » by Big J » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:12 pm

slick_watts wrote:in a fair and just world, if the season ended today, nikola jokic would win mvp in a landslide. he is having one of the greatest individual seasons of all time.

Maybe if the MVP was only based on stats and not on impact.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#1004 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:15 pm

Zero data to back this up, but Grayson Allen made a comment he had to adjust to being too wide-open. You can sometimes see it where there is hestitation or confused look and doesn't just do a reflexive catch and shoot. Obviously, he will get used to it and be better off overall. im sure there is a stat out there somewhere that shows a diminishing return or negative point for being too wide-open. Not implying anything but just a random thought talking about gravity.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1005 » by slick_watts » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:16 pm

Big J wrote:
slick_watts wrote:in a fair and just world, if the season ended today, nikola jokic would win mvp in a landslide. he is having one of the greatest individual seasons of all time.

jokic is, by far, the most impactful player in the league.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,120

Post#1006 » by eyeatoma » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:21 pm

hisairness wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
TwoStarz wrote:How is KD eligible now that Harden himself is playing at a MVP level? Never mind that Durants advance stats never paint him as the mvp anyways. Never mind that they also have Kyrie back now for road games.

I just fail to understand Durants MVP case with the struggling Nets relative roster strength and expectations. Seems odd

I agree with this take.

In my Opinion the players with the highest chances of winning are Giannis, Jokic, Embiid, and LeBron. Steph needs to turn it on fast if he wants to get back into contention.

KD has too much help, so does DeMar.

Yeah, KD has had so much help that he's second in the league in minutes per game and has played entire halfs multiple times, simply because the Nets can't effort to sit him down. Harden finally has couple good games after this boards has proclaimed him washed up so far, Kyrie has played 3 road games and all of as sudden KD has too much help lol.

I never thought KD had much of a case with the Nets always having Harden on there. Sorry if you have a former MVP candidate, even if he was playing below par, you really have to be having an incredible season. KD is doing amazing, but it's not like the best season he's had. Also, he's playing a ton of minutes, which can also be attributed to some of the extra production. I still think he's got a chance, just not the same chance as the other players.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Post#1007 » by Big J » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:23 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Big J wrote:

It should be showing up in the standings more then.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1008 » by slick_watts » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:27 pm

Big J wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
Big J wrote:

it is. the nuggets are a horrific team when jokic is not in the game. they'd be in last place without him. they are way worse than the nets w/o kevin durant, warriors w/o stephen curry or the lakers w/o lebron james. it's not even close. the nuggets being above .500 is a testament to how jokic has been carrying those scrubs. they are a great team when he is on the court, and one of the worst in the league when he is on the bench. isn't that what impact is all about?
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#1009 » by Kurtz » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:11 am

slick_watts wrote:
Big J wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

it is. the nuggets are a horrific team when jokic is not in the game. they'd be in last place without him. they are way worse than the nets w/o kevin durant, warriors w/o stephen curry or the lakers w/o lebron james. it's not even close. the nuggets being above .500 is a testament to how jokic has been carrying those scrubs. they are a great team when he is on the court, and one of the worst in the league when he is on the bench. isn't that what impact is all about?

Plus Denver did finish 3rd in the standings last year, so the "more often" comment makes no sense either.

Hell, even this year it's almost a miracle that they're sitting 6th with that roster around Joker.
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,387

Post#1010 » by Hussien Fatal » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:32 am

slick_watts wrote:
Big J wrote:

Lol no he’s not. His winning percentage is 55%, that isn’t a trait of the most impactful player in the league, I know his advanced stats are outta this world but he needs to be able to win more if he truly is the most impactful player in the league. Joel is more impactful when it comes to winning games no doubt about it, his winning percentage is almost 15% higher than Jokic’s winning percentage. And I’m sorry but his team is .500 which means his impact isn’t Elite as far as the win column is concerned.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Hussien Fatal
Veteran

Post#1011 » by Hussien Fatal » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:36 am

slick_watts wrote:
Big J wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

Lol at thinking a player on a .500 team is the most impactful player in the league, get real! KD is more impactful as is Steph and Joel when it comes to winning. Those 3 players have a much better win percentage than Jokic. Sure he puts up numbers but he honestly doesn’t even make his teammates better either, he hasn’t even been able to elevate Jamal Murray to an all star. He just lacks making team mates better.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1012 » by slick_watts » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:38 am

Hussien Fatal wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
Big J wrote:

Lol no he’s not. His winning percentage is 55%, that isn’t a trait of the most impactful player in the league, I know his advanced stats are outta this world but he needs to be able to win more if he truly is the most impactful player in the league. Joel is more impactful when it comes to winning games no doubt about it, his winning percentage is almost 15% higher than Jokic’s winning percentage. And I’m sorry but his team is .500 which means his impact isn’t Elite as far as the win column is concerned.

this is caveman thinking. maybe back in the day when stars played 40 minutes a game or more, overall team performance being a strong factor for mvp voting made sense. these days there are only a few players who even play more than 75% of their team's minutes. holding players accountable for poor performance of the team when they are not playing, or crediting a player for great performance of the team when they are not playing is a logically stupid consideration for an individual award. we have all the tools at our disposal to make these distinctions, and people who do not are exposing willful ignorance.
Hussien Fatal
Veteran

Post#1013 » by Hussien Fatal » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:43 am

slick_watts wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

this is caveman thinking. maybe back in the day when stars played 40 minutes a game or more, overall team performance being a strong factor for mvp voting made sense. these days there are only a few players who even play more than 75% of their team's minutes. holding players accountable for poor performance of the team when they are not playing, or crediting a player for great performance of the team when they are not playing is a logically stupid consideration for an individual award. we have all the tools at our disposal to make these distinctions, and people who do not are exposing willful ignorance.

Lol what does that have to do with him having a poor win percentage compared to other superstars? He doesn’t even make is team mates better either porter looked terrible playing with Jokic before his injury, even Gordon had better years in Orlando. Also Barton has Plateaued playing next to Jokic. Murray looks better when he ignores Jokic on offense all together.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1014 » by slick_watts » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:48 am

Hussien Fatal wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:

Lol what does that have to do with him having a poor win percentage compared to other superstars? He doesn’t even make is team mates better either porter looked terrible playing with Jokic before his injury, even Gordon had better years in Orlando. Also Barton has Plateaued playing next to Jokic. Murray looks better when he ignores Jokic on offense all together.

the nuggets are great when jokic plays, they are the worst team in the league when he is on the bench. jokic can't control what happens when he's not in the game. if the nuggets were as good a team without jokic as the sixers are without embiid, they'd be a better team than the sixers by a comfortable margin.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1015 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:52 am

slick_watts wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

the nuggets are great when jokic plays, they are the worst team in the league when he is on the bench. jokic can't control what happens when he's not in the game. if the nuggets were as good a team without jokic as the sixers are without embiid, they'd be a better team than the sixers by a comfortable margin.
Sixers have a fake star in Tobias. This team is horrific without Embiid. It's a lot closer than you think with how bad there are compared to the Nuggets.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1016 » by slick_watts » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:57 am

eyeatoma wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:

Sixers have a fake star in Tobias. This team is horrific without Embiid. It's a lot closer than you think with how bad there are compared to the Nuggets.

we don't have to care about what you or i think.

the nuggets are -13.0pp100 without jokic in the game this season. the sixers are -2.0pp100 without embiid in the game this season.

the nuggets perform far worse without jokic than the sixers do without embiid.

this is objective fact.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#1017 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:16 am

eyeatoma wrote:
hisairness wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
I agree with this take.

In my Opinion the players with the highest chances of winning are Giannis, Jokic, Embiid, and LeBron. Steph needs to turn it on fast if he wants to get back into contention.

KD has too much help, so does DeMar.

Yeah, KD has had so much help that he's second in the league in minutes per game and has played entire halfs multiple times, simply because the Nets can't effort to sit him down. Harden finally has couple good games after this boards has proclaimed him washed up so far, Kyrie has played 3 road games and all of as sudden KD has too much help lol.

I never thought KD had much of a case with the Nets always having Harden on there. Sorry if you have a former MVP candidate, even if he was playing below par, you really have to be having an incredible season. KD is doing amazing, but it's not like the best season he's had. Also, he's playing a ton of minutes, which can also be attribute to some of the extra production. I still think he's got a chance, just not the same chance as the other players.

Harden has been awful for much of the season.

Being a former MVP means nothing if youre not playing well right now.

Thats like saying LeBron cant win MVP cause he plays with Westbrook.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,416

Post#1018 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:40 am

Giannis wins, lock up the thread.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1019 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:38 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
hisairness wrote:

I never thought KD had much of a case with the Nets always having Harden on there. Sorry if you have a former MVP candidate, even if he was playing below par, you really have to be having an incredible season. KD is doing amazing, but it's not like the best season he's had. Also, he's playing a ton of minutes, which can also be attribute to some of the extra production. I still think he's got a chance, just not the same chance as the other players.

Harden has been awful for much of the season.

Being a former MVP means nothing if youre not playing well right now.

Thats like saying LeBron cant win MVP cause he plays with Westbrook.
Harden has been great since he returned from COVID.

eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1020 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:38 am

slick_watts wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

we don't have to care about what you or i think.

the nuggets are -13.0pp100 without jokic in the game this season. the sixers are -2.0pp100 without embiid in the game this season.

the nuggets perform far worse without jokic than the sixers do without embiid.

this is objective fact.
Are you really an MVP if the best you can do is raise your team to .500?

Return to The General Board