According to Tim MacMahon, Luka came into the season weighing 260 pounds while Zion weighed 330 pounds

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,450

Re: According to Tim MacMahon, Luka came into the season weighing 260 pounds while Zion weighed 330 pounds 

Post#141 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:27 am

DuallyNoted wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
DuallyNoted wrote:I can't even imagine the amount of calories I was drinking when I was Doncic's age. I don't think a 21 year old millionoaire is going to be drinking Hot Toddys and counting calories.

I was counting my calories at 21...I wanted to look good with a shirt off. I can't imagine a 21 year old millionaire who makes their living off of their body WOULDN'T be counting theirs.

I was counting calories too but I wasn't really including/considering booze as much as I should have. I was eating greens, black beans, nuts and lean meat on normal days. But perhaps I'd wind down with a few beers, some of which were over 300 calories(some craft beers have an insane amount of calories.) Then on "off days" I'd drink 3 vodka red bulls, 5-10 beers and eat 2 burritos and all of the chips and salsa ever made at 2am. Or 20 wings and fries, or a whole pizza, etc.

Some people stop doing that after a year or 3 but I'd guess a larger amount of people don't. Say you even whittle it down to 5-6 budweisers a couple times a week, that's still almost a whole day or two worth of calories without any nutritional value.

I didn't drink really at the time...and as a guy who has a youtube channel on whisky...I'm hardly someone against alcohol lol. But even then everyone I know who's into that stuff tracked our alcohol calories. I even recall during one diet, I broke it and had 4 bud lights, I spent way too much time trying to get the macros (easier to do today). And yes I remember that night to this day because I took my body seriously at the time.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Re: According to Tim MacMahon, Luka came into the season weighing 260 pounds while Zion weighed 330 pounds 

Post#142 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:32 am

D.Brasco wrote:Zion is similar-ish in size to UFC Heavyweight champ Francis Ngannou, should try to link up with his personal trainer

He's about ~270 lbs ripped. Ideal/max weight for Zion imo.

To be fair in the weight lifting world, that's not even all that ripped. For basketball that's great and for normal people, WOW. But he's not even THAT lean there.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#143 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:42 am

I sort of predicted this. Everyone was saying Zion needed to lose 20-30 pounds from his 280 pound Duke weight. I said let's see him put on 20-30 and watch him beast in the post. Obviously this is ridiculous, but it could be entertaining to see him play this year at this weight (injury concerns aside).

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM

Post#144 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:49 am

Sofia wrote:Anyone else surprised that Zion was only 330? Thought he looked bigger tbh

Terrible personal anecdote but I once asked my brother my weight and he guessed 280-320. To be fair I think I weighted over 260 at the time. Still though, 320 pounds wtf.

Let's playin for 9th!

Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,683

Post#145 » by Johnny Firpo » Thu Dec 9, 2021 9:30 am

I think Zion is over 330 right now. Looks about 350 to be honest.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#146 » by DroseReturnChi » Thu Dec 9, 2021 11:18 am

Sofia wrote:Anyone else surprised that Zion was only 330? Thought he looked bigger tbh

he became over 350. 330 is probably the most he can reduce fat. hes not losing over 50 pounds during season.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,468

Post#147 » by Pelly24 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 11:30 am

Duke4life831 wrote:The sad part is I dont think either weight is unrealistic where I wouldnt believe this report. Luka is a legit 6'8 and is a big boy even when he is at ideal playing weight. So not all that hard to believe when he comes in out of shape he is pushing 260.

Then when it comes to Zion, him at peak shape at Duke was 270 pounds.

To get a better view of what he looked like at 270 pounds, go to 1:53 in the video for his post game interview. That is what Zion looked like at 270 pounds. Jaw line, shoulder definition, definition in his arms, how the jersey fits him and just overall body shape. Compare that to what he looked like in the Mountain Dew commercial, there was a hell of a lot more weight on him there and not good weight. So ya wouldnt be shocked if he was pushing 330 this summer.

Both guys need to take getting in shape far more serious. Luka seems to be going the Jokic route where they're using the season to get into shape and luckily they haven't really been effected injury wise from that. But just look at the difference getting in shape and staying in shape has done for Jokic. It took his game to the next level, same most likely happens with Luka.

Zion on the other hand, the extra weight has done more than just effect his level of play. It has been preventing him from playing. That is a whole other level of red flags.

It's so crazy. Out of every athlete I've ever seen in the NBA/college, Duke Zion might be the closest to UNC/early/prime MJ athleticism. That in-and-out dribble he pulls off to blow by a 6-foot defender, take off what might have been the wrong leg to miss the layup, and before anyone else can for a outback dunk. The first step explosiveness, the coordination to get out of that dribble move, the power of his one-legged jump, the quickness of the second jump—literally all top of the league, and yet he's 280 pounds in that video. A 300-pounder with legitimate MJ athleticism in every respect. Crazy.

Hope he can get into shape and be at least 300-pounds. That 270-280 range might not be realistic since maybe that was his version of a kid body. But 330 is just ridiculous.
onedayattatime
Freshman
And1: 50

Post#148 » by onedayattatime » Thu Dec 9, 2021 12:34 pm

to put this into perspective: zion, a 6'6" forward, is at shaq's playing weight.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,291

Post#149 » by D.Brasco » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:18 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
To be fair in the weight lifting world, that's not even all that ripped. For basketball that's great and for normal people, WOW. But he's not even THAT lean there.

Most bodybuilders are actually pretty short and again for 265-270 lbs I don't know how you can get leaner outside of the bodybuilding world?

I think for athletic purposes this is an ideal bodyfat %.

GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM

Post#150 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:25 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:Zion is similar-ish in size to UFC Heavyweight champ Francis Ngannou, should try to link up with his personal trainer

He's in the "ultimate fighting" world, and not the weight lifting world though.

Let's playin for 9th!

Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,548

Post#151 » by Meat » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:10 am

dhsilv2 wrote:

to be fair, this guy pretty much runs the weightlifting world, and he's not even all that ripped

Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#152 » by Alonzo_Morning » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:02 am

Meat wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

to be fair, this guy pretty much runs the weightlifting world, and he's not even all that ripped

Powerlifters are almost never ripped
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,726

Post#153 » by naabzor » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:26 am

you guys are kind obsessed with zion... just wait to see him on the court.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#154 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:00 pm

D.Brasco wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Most bodybuilders are actually pretty short and again for 265-270 lbs I don't know how you can get leaner outside of the bodybuilding world?

I think for athletic purposes this is an ideal bodyfat %.

Hard to judge that guy given where his belt is and his legs look kinda in the shadows there.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#155 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:01 pm

Meat wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Olymic lifting lol and in a high weight class. Come on now :)
Meat
Head Coach

Post#156 » by Meat » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:35 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Meat wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Olymic lifting lol and in a high weight class. Come on now :)

weight lifting*
Meat
Head Coach

Post#157 » by Meat » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Alonzo_Morning wrote:
Meat wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

that's not a powerlifter, that's not even one of the 3 power lifts pictured there
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#158 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:51 pm

Meat wrote:
Alonzo_Morning wrote:
Meat wrote:to be fair, this guy pretty much runs the weightlifting world, and he's not even all that ripped

that's not a powerlifter, that's not even one of the 3 power lifts pictured there

lol, most certainly not powerlifting and oddly enough. Power lifters who aren't in the upper weight classes tend to be pretty darn lean.

Here is a pretty famous powerlifter, most famous for being one of if not the first 5x body weight squat.

Here is he is raw doing 825

Bottom line is to make those weight classes you can't be carrying around extra weight. For the guys 240+....whole different thing. And while Sam is likely on the more extreme end of low body fat for power lifting, most of the guys under 240 are pretty dang ripped at their meets, if they're elite at least.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#159 » by Alonzo_Morning » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:35 am

Meat wrote:
Alonzo_Morning wrote:
Meat wrote:to be fair, this guy pretty much runs the weightlifting world, and he's not even all that ripped

Powerlifter, lifting for strength. Same deal
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#160 » by XTraderXL » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:07 am

Meat wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

This is Lasha Talakhadze, best powerlifter of all time probably. He is 6ft6 and 400lbs.

Return to The General Board