According to Tim MacMahon, Luka came into the season weighing 260 pounds while Zion weighed 330 pounds

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Re: According to Tim MacMahon, Luka came into the season weighing 260 pounds while Zion weighed 330 pounds 

Post#81 » by DirtyDez » Wed Dec 8, 2021 5:25 am

Pro sports in 2021 isn’t like it used to be where you can play your way into shape. The best players in every sport spend hundreds of thousands of $ on their bodies and take care of themselves year round. It would be a shame not seeing anyone with that level of ability not maximizing it by year 4. With the resources athletes have in the way of chefs and getting the best ingredients there’s really no excuse for it. It’s selfish.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,088

Re: According to Tim MacMahon, Luka came into the season weighing 260 pounds while Zion weighed 330 pounds 

Post#82 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 5:30 am

Big J wrote:
og15 wrote:
Big J wrote:In Luka's case I don't get what the big deal about playing your way into shape throughout the season is. It's better to be peaking when the playoffs start anyway.

Why do you need to play your way into shape in order to peak when the playoffs start? You're talking about things that are mutually exclusive. It's not one or the other. Coming into the season in shape or not overweight doesn't mean you will peak at the beginning of the season.

Being out of shape can increase injury risk, whether that materializes or not, the risk is higher. Missing games due to injury can mean worse W/L record. Worse W/L record will mean tougher early playoff matchups and your team likely being out early.

Grinding for 12 months out of the year can be mentally and physically draining. It’s better to take a month or two off to blow off some steam so that you are recharged. Plenty of guys have gotten injuries from wear and tear joints and ligaments because they pushed too hard without taking a break.

you cant take a month off of being a pro athlete altogether, thats what hes doing, and even if his diet was good in season he should have lost over 20 lbs by now.
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,378

Post#83 » by Pablo Escobar » Wed Dec 8, 2021 5:32 am

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:People call Doncic lazy, but forget he was dominating the Olympics averaging a triple-double in 32 minutes a game. He had 2 months off and I can't see how he was able to gain 30 pounds during two months. But he is known to be able to eat a ton of food. Ohh, well, he is 22, not 32.

He comes into camp every year overweight. It's unprofessional and very disrespectful to the team who's paying him a lot of money to play basketball at the highest level. Also it's disrespectful to the fans that every year he needs a month or two to get into shape.
Plata o Plomo?
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,250

Post#84 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 6:16 am

XTraderXL wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:
Lazy excuses. Its pretty well known that Luka is lazy when it comes to physical conditioning. It has been the case forever. I am not sure he will ever change. Would be a shame for him not to reach his full potential and stay a borderline MVP candidate for the next 10+ years. Although at this rate he will catch up to Zion within 2-3 years :lol:

We have clear evidence that Luka is a hard worker. He would not be where he is at 22 if he wasn't. If you think that a 22-year kid with all the world resources and support can't improve his behavior then there is no reason for humankind to even try. Let's just shut this down.

Yeah, clear evidence he takes his conditioining seriously weighing in at 260lbs+. Real hard worker.

I know first hand he doesnt take his conditioning seriously, he doesnt want to lift weights, doesnt want to do anything without the ball. Thats why he is too heavy and looks like a dumpling.

Think what you want, I am just giving you the facts.

Never said he takes his conditioning seriously. I said he got where is at with hard work and that it is not a big deal because he is young and has clearly worked hard to get where he is at. He won't have a problem becoming much better. He plays great now, and when he does take off his body he will just become better.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,520

Post#85 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 7:47 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
All honesty, why not? Hell, I'd be pretty happy coming off the bench making 1-2 million a year. Honestly, the desire to be the absolute BEST and go through that level of work is pretty amazing when there's really no economic incentive. At the income even an ok starter makes in the NBA...it's going to be hard to even know what to do with the difference in 10 a year or 45.

It's his decision to make. I would think though given how much he is being paid to be the cornerstone of his team that he could rein it in a bit and at least keep his weight below 240 year round and do some off season weight lifting/cardio.

Maybe he's wanting for his extention to kick in before he does that lol. But seriously, yeah I'd like to see him work harder but maybe he holds fat easier than we think and at the end of the day, it's hard to put ourselves in these guy's shoes.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,892

Post#86 » by Sofia » Wed Dec 8, 2021 7:58 am

Pharmcat wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:Luka has so much more potential. I don’t get him and this pathetic laziness. Where’s the drive to be at the very top?

Zion I’ll give a little bit more break. His ceiling is very high too. I hope he’s learning to take his weight serious throughout this injury.

When the mavs made no moves to get better I can see why luka would mail it in , team isn’t good enough to win so what’s the point of coming in and hitting the ground hard vs playing yourself into shape

Are you exposing Luka?
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,892

Post#87 » by Sofia » Wed Dec 8, 2021 8:01 am

Anyone else surprised that Zion was only 330? Thought he looked bigger tbh
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#88 » by kio80 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 8:08 am

NBA should have a sumo wrestling contest featuring those 2 during ASG, beats 3 point and dunk contest
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#89 » by XTraderXL » Wed Dec 8, 2021 8:22 am

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
We have clear evidence that Luka is a hard worker. He would not be where he is at 22 if he wasn't. If you think that a 22-year kid with all the world resources and support can't improve his behavior then there is no reason for humankind to even try. Let's just shut this down.

Yeah, clear evidence he takes his conditioining seriously weighing in at 260lbs+. Real hard worker.

I know first hand he doesnt take his conditioning seriously, he doesnt want to lift weights, doesnt want to do anything without the ball. Thats why he is too heavy and looks like a dumpling.

Never said he takes his conditioning seriously. I said he got where is at with hard work and that it is not a big deal because he is young and has clearly worked hard to get where he is at. He won't have a problem becoming much better. He plays great now, and when he does take off his body he will just become better.

Physical fitness is about motivation, discipline and hard work. Every single person Lukas age can get in good shape. The fact that he does not shows his unprofessionalism and lack of discipline/laziness. He is where he is because he is immensely talented for basketball (probably the most talented player in the NBA right now in pure basketball sense, top 3 certainly). He works at it but he will never be accused of being the hardest worker on his team. In fact people around him say he is not taking basketball seriously enough. But please, tell me you know more than his coaches, his childhood friends and guys he plays with for national team.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#90 » by XTraderXL » Wed Dec 8, 2021 8:25 am

Lockdown504090 wrote:
Big J wrote:
og15 wrote:Why do you need to play your way into shape in order to peak when the playoffs start? You're talking about things that are mutually exclusive. It's not one or the other. Coming into the season in shape or not overweight doesn't mean you will peak at the beginning of the season.

Being out of shape can increase injury risk, whether that materializes or not, the risk is higher. Missing games due to injury can mean worse W/L record. Worse W/L record will mean tougher early playoff matchups and your team likely being out early.

Grinding for 12 months out of the year can be mentally and physically draining. It’s better to take a month or two off to blow off some steam so that you are recharged. Plenty of guys have gotten injuries from wear and tear joints and ligaments because they pushed too hard without taking a break.

you cant take a month off of being a pro athlete altogether, thats what hes doing, and even if his diet was good in season he should have lost over 20 lbs by now.

Some can, others cant. Luka and Zion obviously can not. On top of that they obviously eat **** food, you cant put on this much weight in a month or two if you eat relatively healthy. Its impossible.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,574

Post#91 » by KGtabake » Wed Dec 8, 2021 8:28 am

Giannis is 242lbs.
How th did Zion let himself go as far as 330?
That's the competition at your position dude.

KD is also 242lbs.
Even with serious injury he didn't let himself go.
It's rather disappointing for Luka to be 260 when he didn't deal with any injuries and stuff like this.

Both will be having a microscope on them going forward.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#92 » by John Murdoch » Wed Dec 8, 2021 10:28 am

KGtabake wrote:Giannis is 242lbs.

KD is also 242lbs.
It's rather disappointing for Luka to be 260 when he didn't deal with any injuries and stuff like this.

KD looks 142 tf
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#93 » by MrBigShot » Wed Dec 8, 2021 11:01 am

Dude if I got paid like Luka did I would be in peak athletic shape 24/7/365. There's no excuse to play yourself into shape.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
foreigngrammar
Pro Prospect
And1: 470

Post#94 » by foreigngrammar » Wed Dec 8, 2021 11:36 am

Big J wrote:In Luka's case I don't get what the big deal about playing your way into shape throughout the season is. It's better to be peaking when the playoffs start anyway.

What's the big deal?

Somebody insert a proper Kobe or Jordan gif please.
What's the deal? Damn :lol: :lol:
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,324

Post#95 » by Bolivar » Wed Dec 8, 2021 11:39 am

foreigngrammar wrote:

What's the big deal?

Somebody insert a proper Kobe or Jordan gif please.
What's the deal? Damn :lol: :lol:

DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#96 » by DaddyCool19 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 11:43 am

KGtabake wrote:Giannis is 242lbs.

KD is also 242lbs.

Wasn't Giannis last year listed at 250? Sounds more realistic. And comparing him to KD, I don't think Durant weighs more than 230.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,593

Post#97 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Dec 8, 2021 11:53 am

Reeko wrote:NBA should start doing live weigh ins at the beginning of the season, like in the UFC.

not enough and1s
Слава Украине!
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,593

Post#98 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Dec 8, 2021 12:01 pm

Both these numbers are disappointing and it seems both these young men are awfully entitled and not listening to their organizations to get to this point.
But at least Luka has a floor game, Zion is playing with fire not controlling his weight while jumping (and landing) so much and relying to it to be successful.
That means, Luka might mature and in a couple of years pull a Jokic and go for a tear. For Zion it might be too late.
Слава Украине!
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,520

Post#99 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 1:23 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

Guys who struggle with weight issues at 22 seriously struggle with it by their late 20's. This is a terrible sign for him. He's just making his job that much harder.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,792

Post#100 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Dec 8, 2021 2:24 pm

D.Brasco wrote:
LofJ wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:Jeez these guys are making Shaq look like he had good self control. He didn't really fall off weight wise until he was near 30.

Do these guys not see how Tom Brady and LeBron take care of their bodies? They have the money to invest in themselves like those guys do.

Speaking of Shaq he has lost a ton of weight and has ripped abs believe it or not. His sister and Kobe passing away really motivated him to take better care of himself.

Yup, imagine if he looked like this during his post Heat years at least? he could have prolonged his dominance.

Dude Shaq is 50. The left is great shape for 50, the right is astounding.

Return to The General Board