Official NBA COVID Protocol thread (please read the OP)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,793

Re: Official NBA COVID Protocol thread (please read the OP) 

Post#81 » by Triple M » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:07 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:Let the asymtomatic players play. Enough is enough.

It honestly boggles my mind how someone isn’t allowed to play who feels perfectly fine lol.

Asymptomatic players would spread the virus if they are allowed to play.

The EPL might be postponing games this weekend which might have the NA leagues follow.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,956

Post#82 » by Liam_Gallagher » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:09 pm

:roll:
Triple M wrote:

It honestly boggles my mind how someone isn’t allowed to play who feels perfectly fine lol.

Got any data to back that up with?

Edit: NFL will allow asymptomatic players to play. Told you.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#83 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Could this happen in NBA?
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#84 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:14 pm

OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:
Read on Twitter

Could this happen in NBA?

Just came to say this. It was only a matter of time before the leagues started to do this. I assume that the NFL is doing it, the NBA wont hesitate to follow suit.
BigDan245
Starter
And1: 2,203

Post#85 » by BigDan245 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:25 pm

Triple M wrote:

The EPL might be postponing games this weekend which might have the NA leagues follow.

https://www.riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/modern-day-censorship/covid-19-twitter-will-now-ban-users-that-repeatedly-claim-vaccinated-people-can-spread-covid/

is twitter lying or is twitter incompetent? Biden also said the same thing.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,230

Post#86 » by azcatz11 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:25 pm

Im glad common sense is prevailing here. NFL is doing the right thing
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,538

Re: Official NBA COVID Protocol thread 

Post#87 » by infinite11285 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:45 pm

FNQ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:This is really unfortunate and crappy. I made a thread before the season about how the breakthrough cases were going to shut down the NBA again possibly. I hope it doesn’t come down to this.

How can the NBA continue with zero covid though? Will they change the policy to symptomatic? Or just shut down? The NFL has had 75 positives in the last 2 days (I’m guessing Omicron?).

This is gonna suck.

My opinion: stop testing players who have no symptoms / who aren't sick. If the players association wants a bubble again they will have to give up significant salary. If they're willing to do that, do it. Otherwise, we're going to be in this for years so have to learn to adapt

This ultimately could be the solution, however suggesting it at this stage is wildly irresponsible.

We have some data that suggests this variant is more contagious but in doing so, the virus has weakened itself to the point where its not as lethal of a threat. Now as callous as some people are, they'll suggest diving headfirst into that and if people die, they die. Fortunately society has progressed beyond this, and there are plenty of places compiling data for the new variant right now, and my company is at the ready (already - kinda excited) to dive into the data once our client has decided they have enough clear data to go off of.

What's concerning here is the spike of people who should be otherwise healthy (IE young athletes) getting positive tests. Now its great that its not as lethal, supposedly, right now. But the obvious question should be - if the virus was able to transition to something that ensured it's livelihood, and since the natural progression with viruses is to reproduce and gain strength, we have to be wary of dismissing it as less important, because if it can retain its transmission levels while increasing its strength in the next variant, we've effectively trained it to be as lethal a pandemic as possible.

So testing should continue to occur, and health/safety protocols should remain in place in both the NFL and NBA until we get a better handle on it. All that said, the more likely outcome is the virus becoming more inert, and the fact that its more contagious will give our immune systems more data to work with in defending against this strain and other similar strains. But at this stage leaning heavily into one way (stop testing!) or another (complete lockdown!) is wildly irresponsible

I'm curious, is it possible to be infected by both the Delta and Omicron variants simultaneously? And if so, can the two variants merge to form an even worse, combined version of both variants?
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#88 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:54 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
FNQ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
My opinion: stop testing players who have no symptoms / who aren't sick. If the players association wants a bubble again they will have to give up significant salary. If they're willing to do that, do it. Otherwise, we're going to be in this for years so have to learn to adapt

This ultimately could be the solution, however suggesting it at this stage is wildly irresponsible.

We have some data that suggests this variant is more contagious but in doing so, the virus has weakened itself to the point where its not as lethal of a threat. Now as callous as some people are, they'll suggest diving headfirst into that and if people die, they die. Fortunately society has progressed beyond this, and there are plenty of places compiling data for the new variant right now, and my company is at the ready (already - kinda excited) to dive into the data once our client has decided they have enough clear data to go off of.

What's concerning here is the spike of people who should be otherwise healthy (IE young athletes) getting positive tests. Now its great that its not as lethal, supposedly, right now. But the obvious question should be - if the virus was able to transition to something that ensured it's livelihood, and since the natural progression with viruses is to reproduce and gain strength, we have to be wary of dismissing it as less important, because if it can retain its transmission levels while increasing its strength in the next variant, we've effectively trained it to be as lethal a pandemic as possible.

So testing should continue to occur, and health/safety protocols should remain in place in both the NFL and NBA until we get a better handle on it. All that said, the more likely outcome is the virus becoming more inert, and the fact that its more contagious will give our immune systems more data to work with in defending against this strain and other similar strains. But at this stage leaning heavily into one way (stop testing!) or another (complete lockdown!) is wildly irresponsible

I'm curious, is it possible to be infected by both the Delta and Omicron variants simultaneously? And if so, can the two variants merge to form an even worse, combined version of both variants?

Moderna’s CEO made this suggestion yesterday or the day before. I am skeptical

Badlands
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,845

Post#89 » by Badlands » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:37 pm

BigDan245 wrote:
Triple M wrote:

https://www.riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/modern-day-censorship/covid-19-twitter-will-now-ban-users-that-repeatedly-claim-vaccinated-people-can-spread-covid/

is twitter lying or is twitter incompetent? Biden also said the same thing.

Did you just use the Rio Times as a source? Twitter has said that that portion of their rules meant to be about users who say the vaccine can be spread to other people (yes, there are loons who say this). They have since changed the wording and said no one ever got a strike for saying vaccinated people can spread the virus. Biden has also corrected his misstatement.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,218

Post#90 » by bisme37 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:42 pm

I just updated post #2 with some of the new cases that were announced today.

This thread has already gotten much deeper into virus debate than I was hoping it would. But people are behaving like adults for the most part and potential misinformation is getting quickly corrected by other users. So in the interest of giving the people what they want, I'm going to be flexible and let y'all do your thing haha.

But whenever possible, please stick to discussing COVID's impact on the NBA, not COVID in general. I just really don't want the thread to go off the rails and get locked. Thanks, good pals of mine.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#91 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:55 pm

bisme37 wrote:I just updated post #2 with some of the new cases that were announced today.

This thread has already gotten much deeper into virus debate than I was hoping it would. But people are behaving like adults for the most part and potential misinformation is getting quickly corrected by other users. So in the interest of giving the people what they want, I'm going to be flexible and let y'all do your thing haha.

But whenever possible, please stick to discussing COVID's impact on the NBA, not COVID in general. I just really don't want the thread to go off the rails and get locked. Thanks, good pals of mine.

If anyone needs to know how to be a model citizen regarding derailing threads, just copy my exact behavior.

Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,974

Post#92 » by Richard4444 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:58 pm

Updated

Bucks: DiVincenzo, Giannis, Wesley Mathews, Bobby
Bulls: DeRozan, Ayo, Stanley Jonhson, Derrick Jones, Coby White, Javonte Green, Matt Thomas, Lavine, Alize Jonson, Troy Brown
Cavs: Okoro
Celtics: Jabari, Grant Will, Horford
Hornets: LaMello*, Rozier, PJ Washington, Mason, Richards, McDaniels, Ish,
Kings: Bagley, TDavis, Fox, King, Len
Knicks: Topin, RJ, Grimes, Knox
Lakers: THT, Howard, WB, Bradley
Magic: Ignas
Memphis: Morant
Nets: Harden, Milsap, James Johnson, Bruce Brown, Bembry, Carten, Aldridge,
Nuggets: Bones*, Rivers
Raptors: Precious*
Sixers: Embiid*, Harris*, Thybulle*, joe, Niang
Warriors: Poole
Wizards: Kuzma

*Cured
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Post#93 » by Dr Aki » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:42 am

Arteezy wrote:If you test 100 people you get 2 positives

If you test 100000 people you get 200 positives.

Maths aint hard

looks like someone failed maths
r1terrell23
Bench Warmer
And1: 540

Post#94 » by r1terrell23 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:49 am

Arteezy wrote:If you test 100 people you get 2 positives

If you test 100000 people you get 200 positives.

Maths aint hard

What's two percent of 100k?
r1terrell23
Bench Warmer
And1: 540

Post#95 » by r1terrell23 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:53 am

Liam_Gallagher wrote::roll:
Triple M wrote:

Got any data to back that up with?

Edit: NFL will allow asymptomatic players to play. Told you.

See Chicago Bulls
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,028

Post#96 » by mediocrityrules » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:14 am

Richard4444 wrote:Updated

Bucks: DiVincenzo, Giannis, Wesley Mathews, Bobby
Bulls: DeRozan, Ayo, Stanley Jonhson, Derrick Jones, Coby White, Javonte Green, Matt Thomas, Lavine, Alize Jonson, Troy Brown
Cavs: Okoro
Celtics: Jabari
Hornets: LaMello, Rozier, PJ Washington, Mason, Richards, McDaniels, Ish,
Kings: Bagley, TDavis, Fox, King, Len
Knicks: Topin, RJ, Grimes, Knox
Lakers: THT, Monk, Howard, WB, Bradley
Magic: Ignas
Memphis: Morant
Nets: Harden, Milsap, James Johnson, Bruce Brown, Bembry, Carten, Aldridge,
Nuggets: Bones, Rivers
Raptors: Precious
Sixers: Embiid, Harris, Thybulle, joe, Niang
Wizards: Kuzma

Embiid playing today, so he's off the list now at least
Circling calendars since 2021
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Post#97 » by Dr Aki » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:30 am

Read on Twitter
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#98 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:43 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#99 » by bearadonisdna » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:07 am

Wow guess everyone in the whole league will get Covid at some point .
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,538

Post#100 » by infinite11285 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:54 am

OKCfanSinceSGA wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Moderna’s CEO made this suggestion yesterday or the day before. I am skeptical

I am also skeptical, but such a revelation could change the calculus of mitigation planning around the league. I forsee additional testing coming, and even, perhaps, a controlled shutdown if things get too bad.

Return to The General Board