Has Ja surpassed Luka?

Moderators: KingDavid, jamaalstar21, Harry Garris, Dirk, ken6199, infinite11285, Domejandro, bisme37, bwgood77, zimpy27

Vote

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 301

Charlie Sollers
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,677

Re: Has Ja surpassed Luka? 

Post#21 » by Charlie Sollers » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:37 am

Swish1906 wrote:
threethehardway wrote:I am taking Ja over Luka anyday and twice on Sundays even though Luka is the better player.

But Ja is the better leader and gives his team so much confidence and swagger.

Weird, his team was pretty confident when he was out over weeks. Also Luka lead his teams allready to several titles.

But guess that doesnt count as much as like 25 regular season games

Ja gave his team so much confidence and swagger that it carried over when he was out.
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 5,712

Post#22 » by Freighttrain » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:41 am

Baski wrote:
Freighttrain wrote:He's playing like a superstar, but can we see him in the playoff first? And when he plays, can we wait until he does what Luka did against all-time great defenders in Kawhi or PG13 (or good defenders in Beverly) that didn't want to be near Luka because he torched them so bad? I get your enthusiasm about Ja, he's playing phenomenally, but hold your damn horses.

I think Luka has more than Ja at this point, but I don't think it's too early to ask, especially on this GB. Luka won a poll (or at least, was winning when I posted in it) for better playoff performer between him and Harden before he ever played his first PO game.
We gotta be consistent with our craziness on here.

Harden was a known notorious inconsistent playoff performer so I get why that poll might've favored Luka, but Luka has been nothing short of spectacular in the playoffs. So this comparison seems like an overstretch to me
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,230

Post#23 » by Side beard » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:05 am

Swish1906 wrote:Ja has the better team, so easier workload

:crazy:
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 18,532

Post#24 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:18 am

I am huge Luka fan, but he has been so disappointing this year, he is biggest disappointment of this season for me. I voted yes, at least in this season, Ja has been much better.
MemphisX
Veteran
And1: 2,540

Post#25 » by MemphisX » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:21 am

Ja has definitely been better this season...so far. Hopefully we can see them against each other in the post season even if they won't guard each other much. It is still about how they carry their teams. Luka's standard is high, so he seems very disappointing but he had his leap already. Luka's next level is coming into the season in shape and ready to dominate for 100 games.
KhalilS
Analyst
And1: 2,212

Post#26 » by KhalilS » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:23 am

UcanUwill wrote:I am huge Luka fan, but he has been so disappointing this year, he is biggest disappointment of this season for me. I voted yes, at least in this season, Ja has been much better.

I'd take year 2, year 3 and Olympics Luka over this year Ja, I even consider the comparison laughable, but Luka is nowhere near that this year, something is off, Ja has been much better this year.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 16,680

Post#27 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:25 am

Side beard wrote:

Point guards make and break teams...
If the team is good the PG always gets some credit for it, it's kind of a chicken and egg thing.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
#FreeChuckDiesel
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,230

Post#28 » by Side beard » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:01 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
Side beard wrote:

If the team is good the PG always gets some credit for it, it's kind of a chicken and egg thing.

Stars will get credit if team plays well. If they are doo doo, stars with decent numbers get pass more often than their teammates.

This is very visible with Doncic. Without him team plays team basketball way more than with him on the court. While Luka is a great individual player, I don't see anyone enjoying him holding the ball for 80% of the offense just to hail mary a 3 or pass in the last second to teammate who have to save the situation.

Luka is young and I see him fail massively just to become a better team player. Until that happens, we'll see post about Lukas ass teammates that have not seen the ball for hours and can not hit open shots.
Crizzle
Pro Prospect
And1: 961

Post#29 » by Crizzle » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:50 pm

LesGrossman wrote:Can we compare other guys instead of selfish chuckers. THere seems to be one of those guys on eevery team these days. Somehow they even get decent assist numbers but mostly they are just calling their own number after taking 55 dribbles

chuckers? as in plural? Must be a grammar issue. Because calling Morant a chucker would insinuate that you havent actually watchd him play the last 3 years. When he needs to take over, he takes over. Its kinda what you want your stars to do
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#30 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:08 pm

Side beard wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:
Side beard wrote: :crazy:

Stars will get credit if team plays well. If they are doo doo, stars with decent numbers get pass more often than their teammates.

This is very visible with Doncic. Without him team plays team basketball way more than with him on the court. While Luka is a great individual player, I don't see anyone enjoying him holding the ball for 80% of the offense just to hail mary a 3 or pass in the last second to teammate who have to save the situation.

Luka is young and I see him fail massively just to become a better team player. Until that happens, we'll see post about Lukas ass teammates that have not seen the ball for hours and can not hit open shots.
I guess the argument with Luka's usage and decision making is that him holding the ball so much is still better than anything else this particular team would do if he shared the ball more. I get it, it sounds hard to believe, but people who follow other leagues and tournaments have seen Luka play with other high usage guys, and it went exceptionally well. So it's not like he can't play differently with great results, the guy is a chameleon, he changes according to what he has to work with. It's just that somewhere, somehow, it has been decided that what he has to work with on the Mavs is very little, and that on the aggregate they're better off getting Luka to do his thing over and over again rather than getting him to try and make stars out of role players.
#FreeChuckDiesel
TK Smart
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#31 » by TK Smart » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:17 pm

Ja has definitely been outplaying Luka this season and is better right now.
Swish1906
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,807

Post#32 » by Swish1906 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:19 pm

Side beard wrote:

So explain the team records without Ja and without Luka
Dacost
Pro Prospect
And1: 798

Post#33 » by Dacost » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:26 pm

Another Ja vs thread.

JA vs Luka
JA vs Zion
JA vs Trae
JA vs Garland 0_o
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#34 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:30 pm

Dacost wrote:Another Ja vs thread.

JA vs Luka
JA vs Zion
JA vs Trae
JA vs Garland 0_o
People are excited to see another super star emerging, nothing wrong with it...

#FreeChuckDiesel
Dacost
Pro Prospect
And1: 798

Post#35 » by Dacost » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:33 pm

Swish1906 wrote:
Side beard wrote:

Bad teams they face without JA

Thunder
Kings
Blazers
Rockets
Lakers

Teams missing their star player
Mavs (with no luka)
Heat (with no BAM)
Sixers (with no Embid)
Swish1906
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,807

Post#36 » by Swish1906 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:57 pm

Dacost wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:
Side beard wrote: :crazy:

Bad teams they face without JA

Thunder
Kings
Blazers
Rockets
Lakers

So you are saying they were 5-2 against average and good teams without Ja. Thanks for the confirmation
Myth
Head Coach
And1: 4,408

Post#37 » by Myth » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:30 pm

As an MVP candidate? Yes. As a player I'd rather build my team around? No.
baksuzz
Freshman
And1: 43

Post#38 » by baksuzz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:41 pm

Morant is improving every year and Doncic seems to be the same as his first two season, no improvement in 3pt%, ft%. He is out of shape and has some attitude problems, so i believe Morant has brighter future between two of them
Baski
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,405

Post#39 » by Baski » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:05 pm

Freighttrain wrote:
Baski wrote:
Freighttrain wrote:He's playing like a superstar, but can we see him in the playoff first? And when he plays, can we wait until he does what Luka did against all-time great defenders in Kawhi or PG13 (or good defenders in Beverly) that didn't want to be near Luka because he torched them so bad? I get your enthusiasm about Ja, he's playing phenomenally, but hold your damn horses.

I think Luka has more than Ja at this point, but I don't think it's too early to ask, especially on this GB. Luka won a poll (or at least, was winning when I posted in it) for better playoff performer between him and Harden before he ever played his first PO game.

Harden was a known notorious inconsistent playoff performer so I get why that poll might've favored Luka, but Luka has been nothing short of spectacular in the playoffs. So this comparison seems like an overstretch to me

It wasn't a comparison between a consistent and inconsistent resume. It was between an inconsistent resume and a non-existent resume. Luka was getting credit for games he hadn't played.

Makes as much sense as saying Ja has surpassed Luka based on 40 games as opposed to 3 seasons of Luka being better. You can call it a stretch but both scenarios are hard reaches favoring the newer shinier toy.
Hilarious NBA player Nicknames:
1. Nicholas Kaboom
2. Kawh1/11
3. Glass
4. LeBaby
5. Zaza Pacheapshot
6. Wayoff/Backboard/Panic/Vaccinated P, Covid 13, PG13%
7. LePizza (Twitter :lol: )
8. Yawnnis Icantshootthough
9. Day to Davis
10. Vucci-Mane :lol:
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 5,712

Post#40 » by Freighttrain » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:20 am

Baski wrote:
Freighttrain wrote:
Baski wrote:I think Luka has more than Ja at this point, but I don't think it's too early to ask, especially on this GB. Luka won a poll (or at least, was winning when I posted in it) for better playoff performer between him and Harden before he ever played his first PO game.

It wasn't a comparison between a consistent and inconsistent resume. It was between an inconsistent resume and a non-existent resume. Luka was getting credit for games he hadn't played.

Makes as much sense as saying Ja has surpassed Luka based on 40 games as opposed to 3 seasons of Luka being better. You can call it a stretch but both scenarios are hard reaches favoring the newer shinier toy.

If I had to pick between who would be the better playoff performer between Ja or Harden I would pick Ja. So actually it does makes sense to me. Can't be worse than Harden at that point where he was just inconsistent and Ja showed he picked it up a notch since last year. However, Luka has been one of the best young players ever in the playoffs, so the possibility of Ja being great, which is possible, being better than what Luka did in the playoffs still seems like an unfair comparison and expectation.

Return to The General Board