Has Ja surpassed Luka?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Vote

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 301

DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Re: Has Ja surpassed Luka? 

Post#41 » by DroseReturnChi » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:22 am

UcanUwill wrote:I am huge Luka fan, but he has been so disappointing this year, he is biggest disappointment of this season for me. I voted yes, at least in this season, Ja has been much better.

ja will never be better than luka mostly due to natural talent and body size. doncic can come out fat and still perform equally.
to me, doncic has already adapted like kawhi and is under load management. he probably doesnt care abt 1st all nbas, rings is his only goal for now.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,564

Post#42 » by BloodNinja » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:06 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I am huge Luka fan, but he has been so disappointing this year, he is biggest disappointment of this season for me. I voted yes, at least in this season, Ja has been much better.

ja will never be better than luka mostly due to natural talent and body size. doncic can come out fat and still perform equally.
to me, doncic has already adapted like kawhi and is under load management. he probably doesnt care abt 1st all nbas, rings is his only goal for now.

His goal should be to win a playoff round first before thinking about rings.
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#43 » by _qubik » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:40 pm

Luka is and will be the better player.
Zespetjest
Junior
And1: 620

Post#44 » by Zespetjest » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:22 pm

LesGrossman wrote:Can we compare other guys instead of selfish chuckers. THere seems to be one of those guys on eevery team these days. Somehow they even get decent assist numbers but mostly they are just calling their own number after taking 55 dribbles

What are you doing in this thread if you dislike them both? Are there not enough other threads? See, I don't care about Speph so I don't read and post crap in his threads, simple. Or are you love them both deep down in your heart but just trying to be like BostoncouchGM and hate everyone not from Celtics?
31 11 13, 48 11 5
Rodwilliams
Bench Warmer
And1: 962

Post#45 » by Rodwilliams » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:32 pm

This is a tough one. I will say not yet but could surpass him depending on if they remain a top team in the West and how he does in the playoffs.
Harry Garris wrote: Curry can turn non playoff teams into title contenders.

Not if the team doesn’t have elite defenders[/quote]
What a pointless statement.Every Finals team had elite role players[/quote]
Rodwilliams wrote:Duh!Thats what I just said. Eat your own words
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,314

Post#46 » by Tottery » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:37 pm

Too soon to know. If Luka keeps showing up every season out of shape and unmotivated...he will fall quickly.
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#47 » by Crizzle » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:40 pm

think about this. Luka was a pro before Ja could even dunk a basketball. I have been and still am riding the Luka train because i believe the hype. the kid has been amazing. this is a down year for him, but he has already came out and admitted that he fvkced up and is a fat boy. And i guarantee that fat boy will be making some look like fools and dropping everyones jaws when the playoffs come

That being said, Morant is one of these guys who's trajectory is shooting to the moon. i love watching these late bloomers who all of a sudden grow a foot( cough cough Jaren Jackson) or in Ja's case, hits a growth spurt and basically is granted a super power. As i said earlier, the kid who has the world asking themselves if they just saw a guy fly to make a goat level block..... that kid couldnt dunk a basketball 5 years ago. keeping with my theme, Ja really is like a super hero who just realized he has super powers. I honestly dont think it would be crazy if in 10 years, we are talking about Ja like we are now in curry as the only guys who were so special, they could break the mold of " PG cant be best player on a team to win a ring"

so right now i sill go luka. But l could flip flop if playoff morant is real
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,874

Post#48 » by agkagk » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:42 pm

id say not yet just because the mavs roster kind of stinks--testament to how good luka is at such a young age.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,725

Post#49 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:44 pm

No….next question
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#50 » by CobraCommander » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:58 pm

Luka has been a pro since he was 14 so he came into the nba with a huge advantage in applicable PRO experience when compared to Ja- so Ja played AAU and some college- but he didn’t get a consistent structure to learn under. AAU does not prep you to play like Lukas pro coaching so definitely an edge to Luka there

Luka is significantly bigger and honestly in basketball size matters- no matter how athletic Ja is, Luka is bigger and athletic enough to do everything minus block a shot above the square - but one spectacular play doesn’t take away from just being bigger matters. So edge to Luka.

Ja appears to be a better leader- on and off the court. Based on Luka coming in out of shape and reports that he doesn’t condition, complaining on calls to the point of being a distraction and drawing ire from the league and refs and the reported rumored turmoil with KP, Carlise etc... none of the Luka issues are things that seem like they can’t be corrected and Luka has taken ownership of each of these in a way that shows maturity and self awareness well beyond his age- which bodes well for Dallas. But right now I would say Ja is a better leader or teammate. Ja seems to really want to be the best and takes any slight against him or his team as an affront

Luka is a big game hunter...plays his best when the lights are brightest. Kawhi was the best player in both series with Luka but Kawhi had to play some of the best ball of his career to beat Luka in the first round which is more of a testament to Luka than anything. It was akin to Luka being a young MJ trying to get past a mature Isiah Thomas and Detroit...those playoff loses don’t hurt Luka as much as those were growing pains that add to his stories. Ja just hasn’t played in as many big games as Luka so no way you can give Ja the edge here...it’s Luka all day. You don’t want to see Luka when in the playoffs unless you got a HOF guy that’s in his prime to counter him...maybe 2 HOF guys are needed cause you know he is going to raise his game.

I love Ja and Ja is ahead of Luka this year but if you going into a game or playoff series, would you take Ja over Luka? I wouldn’t...

(Trae or Luka is a more appropriate question Of who you want in one game or a playoff series)

It’s impressive that Ja has moved into the Luka category...
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#51 » by Crizzle » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:07 pm

CobraCommander wrote:Luka has been a pro since he was 14 so he came into the nba with a huge advantage in applicable PRO experience when compared to Ja- so Ja played AAU and some college- but he didn’t get a consistent structure to learn under. AAU does not prep you to play like Lukas pro coaching so definitely an edge to Luka there

Luka is significantly bigger and honestly in basketball size matters- no matter how athletic Ja is, Luka is bigger and athletic enough to do everything minus block a shot above the square - but one spectacular play doesn’t take away from just being bigger matters. So edge to Luka.

Ja appears to be a better leader- on and off the court. Based on Luka coming in out of shape and reports that he doesn’t condition, complaining on calls to the point of being a distraction and drawing ire from the league and refs and the reported rumored turmoil with KP, Carlise etc... none of the Luka issues are things that seem like they can’t be corrected and Luka has taken ownership of each of these in a way that shows maturity and self awareness well beyond his age- which bodes well for Dallas. But right now I would say Ja is a better leader or teammate. Ja seems to really want to be the best and takes any slight against him or his team as an affront

Luka is a big game hunter...plays his best when the lights are brightest. Kawhi was the best player in both series with Luka but Kawhi had to play some of the best ball of his career to beat Luka in the first round which is more of a testament to Luka than anything. It was akin to Luka being a young MJ trying to get past a mature Isiah Thomas and Detroit...those playoff loses don’t hurt Luka as much as those were growing pains that add to his stories. Ja just hasn’t played in as many big games as Luka so no way you can give Ja the edge here...it’s Luka all day. You don’t want to see Luka when in the playoffs unless you got a HOF guy that’s in his prime to co.maybe 2 HOF guys are needed cause you know he is going to raise his game.

I love Ja and Ja is ahead of Luka this year but if you going into a game or playoff series, would you take Ja over Luka? I wouldn’t...

(Trae or Luka is a more appropriate question Of who you want in one game or a playoff series)

He hasnt been in as many big games obviously, but Ja certainly is in the same vein when it comes to when the spotlight is on. Still, dat luka step back in the bubble........When i think of iconic playoff moments in the not so distant past, i think Lebrons's block, and then probably that 3
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,961

Post#52 » by Cubbies2120 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:09 pm

Crizzle wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Luka has been a pro since he was 14 so he came into the nba with a huge advantage in applicable PRO experience when compared to Ja- so Ja played AAU and some college- but he didn’t get a consistent structure to learn under. AAU does not prep you to play like Lukas pro coaching so definitely an edge to Luka there

Luka is a big game hunter...plays his best when the lights are brightest. Kawhi was the best player in both series with Luka but Kawhi had to play some of the best ball of his career to beat Luka in the first round which is more of a testament to Luka than anything. It was akin to Luka being a young MJ trying to get past a mature Isiah Thomas and Detroit...those playoff loses don’t hurt Luka as much as those were growing pains that add to his stories. Ja just hasn’t played in as many big games as Luka so no way you can give Ja the edge here...it’s Luka all day. You don’t want to see Luka when in the playoffs unless you got a HOF guy that’s in his prime to co.maybe 2 HOF guys are needed cause you know he is going to raise his game.

He hasnt been in as many big games obviously, but Ja certainly is in the same vein when it comes to when the spotlight is on. Still, dat luka step back in the bubble........When i think of iconic playoff moments in the not so distant past, i think Lebrons's block, and then probably that 3

Ayton's dunk has to be up there too - actually gonna start a thread re: iconic playoff moments since 2010.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#53 » by CobraCommander » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:14 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
Crizzle wrote:

Ayton's dunk has to be up there too - actually gonna start a thread re: iconic playoff moments since 2010.

But my point is, you gotta go with Luka over Ja if you saying WHO do you want in one game or a series with all the marbles on the line because Luka has played in 2 series that mattered and Luka played so well that it took Kawhi (best player on a championship team and finals MVP) playing as well as he ever has to beat Luka. Ja hasn’t played with those types of lights yet....you can’t assume on that...you gotta do it and Luka has. I love Ja but come on Luka in the playoffs is a DEMON
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,934

Post#54 » by Perishable517 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:22 pm

Ja has "It". I don't care about numbers, Ja is lifting his teammates to be their better selves.

Sent from my HTC U11 using RealGM mobile app
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,159

Post#55 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:12 am

After watching tonight's game I assume some of the Morant voters got reminded who Luka is.
Modulate
Rookie
And1: 1,407

Post#56 » by Modulate » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:17 am

Dacost wrote:Another Ja vs thread.

JA vs Luka
JA vs Zion
JA vs Trae
JA vs Garland 0_o

And you chose to whine instead of scrolling past it.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#57 » by mattao313 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:38 am

Wow man after just looking at raw numbers luka is stinking it up this season. But I'd still probably say he's better maybe he's just having a down year.

I will say luka play that ugly harden type of game that not as aesthetically pleasing as Morant gliding through the air.

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,344

Post#58 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:40 am

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:After watching tonight's game I assume some of the Morant voters got reminded who Luka is.

They know who Luka is. Ja has just been playing tremendous since his return and Luka has been wildly inconsistent this year so lots of people will jump on the hot guy. This is just the natural order of the world and nothing to upset us.

In 10 days these teams play again and Ja might go for 35/12 with 5 ridiculous highlight plays and Luka might go 8/22 with 6 turnovers. And that won't mean Ja has surpassed any more than tonight means Luka reasserted his dominance.

Both guys are great independent of the other. Let's enjoy both of them.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,106

Post#59 » by GeorgeSears » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:41 am

Morant has outplayed Doncic this season. However, if Luka ever decides to dedicate himself to a professional training regimen he's going to separate himself from the rest. I have my doubts about that.
Smirkin Dirk
Junior
And1: 736

Post#60 » by Smirkin Dirk » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:35 am

Luka read some of the stuff in here at half time.

Return to The General Board