Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls"

Moderators: KingDavid, jamaalstar21, Harry Garris, Dirk, ken6199, infinite11285, Domejandro, bisme37, bwgood77, zimpy27

Would the 2017 Warriors win against the 96 Bulls?

Yes
135
48%
No
144
52%
 
Total votes: 279

User avatar
OdomFan
Head Coach
Posts: 7,039
And1: 5,379
Joined: Jan 07, 2017
Location: Washington DC
       

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#261 » by OdomFan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:15 am

Rodman would guard Lebron just fine.
Image
User avatar
ccvle
Head Coach
Posts: 6,021
And1: 1,465
Joined: Aug 03, 2002

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#262 » by ccvle » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:16 am

michaelm wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
Why would Pippen guard Irving? And why would MJ guard Smith? You and I both know that's not what the defensive assignments would be.



The problem with this argument is that Luc being out there for a significant amount of time opens him up with situations where he'd have to guard at the perimeter, which he is simply not capable of doing. Again, this goes back to the point regarding the Warriors having way too much firepower.


You can very much ignore Draymond Green from the 3pt line in a playoff atmosphere series, they aren't stretching 5 out with him on the floor.

You can now, but not so much earlier in his career when although still mediocre at best he was some sort of scoring threat. 32 points in game 7 of the 2016 finals when the Cavs decided to let players other than Curry and Thompson try to beat them. It wasn’t enough, but he wasn’t a completely negligible scoring threat earlier in his career, and has been scoring slightly better this season for that matter.

I actually have the Bulls winning, but some of the arguments against GSW are confused or relevant to years other than 2017.


greens game was never really about being a stretch 5. He operates so much at the top of the key as a facilitator and setting screen.
User avatar
John Murdoch
Head Coach
Posts: 7,484
And1: 5,539
Joined: Sep 16, 2013
         

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#263 » by John Murdoch » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:21 am

With handchcking no way, without yes too many 3's for Chicago to trade 2's against
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
michaelm
General Manager
Posts: 7,951
And1: 3,444
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
 

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#264 » by michaelm » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:25 am

ccvle wrote:
michaelm wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
You can very much ignore Draymond Green from the 3pt line in a playoff atmosphere series, they aren't stretching 5 out with him on the floor.

You can now, but not so much earlier in his career when although still mediocre at best he was some sort of scoring threat. 32 points in game 7 of the 2016 finals when the Cavs decided to let players other than Curry and Thompson try to beat them. It wasn’t enough, but he wasn’t a completely negligible scoring threat earlier in his career, and has been scoring slightly better this season for that matter.

I actually have the Bulls winning, but some of the arguments against GSW are confused or relevant to years other than 2017.


greens game was never really about being a stretch 5. He operates so much at the top of the key as a facilitator and setting screen.

Sure, but when totally ignored in the game to which I referred he made 6 three point shots on 8 attempts. That was the thing in his pomp, he wasn’t a totally negligible scoring threat as I said.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 30,372
And1: 14,068
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#265 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:18 am

ccvle wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
ccvle wrote:
Please tell me what does your Data says about the actual number of three attempted or made in a season.


You're claiming a guy who spent most of his career scoring 20 a game is useless offensively, then you incorrectly quoted his 3's from the corner...

But it was about 26% of his attempts.



What he did prior to joining the bulls is meaningless. Yes, he is useless as a scorer in the bulls offense. There's a reason why he he was averaging 6-7 ppg once he joined the bulls. Hes not an efficient scorer that you want him to be taking alot of shots. He attempted What ? 1.5 three attempts per game The last 7 years of his career? So 26% of that came from corner threes. That's .5 per game? And he made 36% ? So you sample size is the 10 -15 threes he made per season?


Roughly 100 shot attempts. But at least I posted accurate and not made up numbers.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 30,372
And1: 14,068
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#266 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:19 am

ccvle wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
ccvle wrote:
Please tell me what does your Data says about the actual number of three attempted or made in a season.


You're claiming a guy who spent most of his career scoring 20 a game is useless offensively, then you incorrectly quoted his 3's from the corner...

But it was about 26% of his attempts.


Please do tell me where your data is from.


Dude, go to freaking basketball reference like everyone else on the planet for crying out loud.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 30,372
And1: 14,068
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#267 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:37 am

ccvle wrote:
michaelm wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
You can very much ignore Draymond Green from the 3pt line in a playoff atmosphere series, they aren't stretching 5 out with him on the floor.

You can now, but not so much earlier in his career when although still mediocre at best he was some sort of scoring threat. 32 points in game 7 of the 2016 finals when the Cavs decided to let players other than Curry and Thompson try to beat them. It wasn’t enough, but he wasn’t a completely negligible scoring threat earlier in his career, and has been scoring slightly better this season for that matter.

I actually have the Bulls winning, but some of the arguments against GSW are confused or relevant to years other than 2017.


greens game was never really about being a stretch 5. He operates so much at the top of the key as a facilitator and setting screen.


He got 40%+ from 3 in the 2017 playoff run with two 5-8 shooting nights. You can't just ignore him completely, and are you going to just let him screen for curry and have curry shoot over the screen? or is longly going to check curry as he drives?
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 30,372
And1: 14,068
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#268 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:44 am

This hand checking stuff is baffling. Hand checking is great against iso scorers. The warriors for the most part run a motion office based on the triangle's post spacing but with modern 3 point positioning. The only exception was KD would after iso in the mid range where he's stil near 7'0 and can't really be guarded from 18 pulling up. Hand checking didn't stop smaller, slower, worse dribbleing, and weaker guards of the 90's from getting down the court to setup the offense...it's not going to stop the warriors either.

Meanwhile Iggy, Klay, Dray, Livington, and even Curry would actually be better defenders if they could hand check themselves.

Also...did you guys not watch the Jazz? They were more than able to make multiple finals spamming pick and rolls just like teams do today without the modern spacing and shooting around them.
TheLand13
Junior
Posts: 367
And1: 263
Joined: Aug 31, 2021
     

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#269 » by TheLand13 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:07 am

OdomFan wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
Rodman on Lebron
Pippen on Irving
MJ on JR Smith
Kukoc/Longley taking turns on Love

That's pretty much enough to give the Bulls that win quite comfortably. I'm confident in saying that those Cavs have 0 shot at winning a single game in at the United Center, but the Bulls likely steal at least 1 on Cleveland. So yeah, Bulls in 5.

What can Lebron really do there? If he tries to go after MJ that leaves Pippen open, and if you have Love try to go for Pippen that leaves Harper, Kukoc and even Rodman open for easy buckets. So yeah.. the Cavs defense have very little answer to solve the Bulls scoring.


Rodman can't guard Lebron lol. It would have to be Pippen. And yeah it would be Lebron on MJ, and his length might actually bother MJ. MJ would have to take Irving, so it's not like he can take D off either.

wow what a lazy incorrect argument. tell me again why he can't guard Lebron? One of the greatest defensive players of all time whos fast/athletic enough to guard most from his time. Give it a rest already. Rodman would do just fine against Lebron as he did against Kemp, Shaq and many other very athletic guys from his era. "lol".


Buddy, none of that matters. Without hand checking, Rodman's defensive capabilities are going to be severely limited against someone like LeBron, who would just pick him apart thanks to the spacing he's being provided. They are much better off having Scottie Pippen be the one to defend LeBron, not Rodman. Pippen can cover a lot more ground and LeBron has always struggled against players with wide wingspans who are mobile enough to cover a lot of ground. Putting Rodman on LeBron would just be idiotic.

OdomFan wrote:and who do you think PJ would have MJ guard? Lebron? Not likely, atleast not consistently through out games anyway. Pippen did a great job at guarding quicker guards so thats why I went with that match up here and I'm sticking with it. MJ would do fine on JR while also playing very effective help defense as he always did. Bulls in 5.


He would have him guard Irving if anything, not LeBron. Kyrie Irving has a tendency to ball watch on offense and not move much without it. JR Smith on the other hand is usually incredibly active and looking to find an open shot in some compacity.

Also, huh? Defending quicker guards was always Jordan's strong suit, not Pippen's. Pippen was a lot better at defending the bigger players who could handle the ball on their own. The job of defending the quicker guards however usually always went to Jordan.
Bulls2021
Pro Prospect
Posts: 880
And1: 543
Joined: Nov 13, 2021

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#270 » by Bulls2021 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:27 am

TheLand13 wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:
Rodman can't guard Lebron lol. It would have to be Pippen. And yeah it would be Lebron on MJ, and his length might actually bother MJ. MJ would have to take Irving, so it's not like he can take D off either.

wow what a lazy incorrect argument. tell me again why he can't guard Lebron? One of the greatest defensive players of all time whos fast/athletic enough to guard most from his time. Give it a rest already. Rodman would do just fine against Lebron as he did against Kemp, Shaq and many other very athletic guys from his era. "lol".


Buddy, none of that matters. Without hand checking, Rodman's defensive capabilities are going to be severely limited against someone like LeBron, who would just pick him apart thanks to the spacing he's being provided. They are much better off having Scottie Pippen be the one to defend LeBron, not Rodman. Pippen can cover a lot more ground and LeBron has always struggled against players with wide wingspans who are mobile enough to cover a lot of ground. Putting Rodman on LeBron would just be idiotic.

OdomFan wrote:and who do you think PJ would have MJ guard? Lebron? Not likely, atleast not consistently through out games anyway. Pippen did a great job at guarding quicker guards so thats why I went with that match up here and I'm sticking with it. MJ would do fine on JR while also playing very effective help defense as he always did. Bulls in 5.


He would have him guard Irving if anything, not LeBron. Kyrie Irving has a tendency to ball watch on offense and not move much without it. JR Smith on the other hand is usually incredibly active and looking to find an open shot in some compacity.

Also, huh? Defending quicker guards was always Jordan's strong suit, not Pippen's. Pippen was a lot better at defending the bigger players who could handle the ball on their own. The job of defending the quicker guards however usually always went to Jordan.

You can tell he has no idea what he is talking about. LeBron = bad, and 90s basketball = tough and awesome, therefore Lebron's team gets owned!
User avatar
toodles23
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,794
And1: 2,819
Joined: Jun 09, 2010

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#271 » by toodles23 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:41 am

dhsilv2 wrote:This hand checking stuff is baffling. Hand checking is great against iso scorers. The warriors for the most part run a motion office based on the triangle's post spacing but with modern 3 point positioning. The only exception was KD would after iso in the mid range where he's stil near 7'0 and can't really be guarded from 18 pulling up. Hand checking didn't stop smaller, slower, worse dribbleing, and weaker guards of the 90's from getting down the court to setup the offense...it's not going to stop the warriors either.

Meanwhile Iggy, Klay, Dray, Livington, and even Curry would actually be better defenders if they could hand check themselves.

Also...did you guys not watch the Jazz? They were more than able to make multiple finals spamming pick and rolls just like teams do today without the modern spacing and shooting around them.

The hand checking point is extremely dumb for a different reason, which is that it was banned in 1996 and the rule was being strictly enforced. Lots of people in this thread clearly don't know even the basics of league history; the NBA banned handchecking after 1994.

Watch any 1996 Jordan highlight video and you will clearly see that there was no more handchecking back then than there is now.
camby23
Junior
Posts: 290
And1: 516
Joined: Feb 23, 2019

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#272 » by camby23 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:51 am

Johnny Bball wrote:90's rules, not a hope in hell. Current rules, maybe. No point in disucssing without knowing which one.


I would love to see KD in illegal defense rule and no zone defense era but with GSW 16-18 spacing. That would be ... funny.
User avatar
ccvle
Head Coach
Posts: 6,021
And1: 1,465
Joined: Aug 03, 2002

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#273 » by ccvle » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:23 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
ccvle wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
You're claiming a guy who spent most of his career scoring 20 a game is useless offensively, then you incorrectly quoted his 3's from the corner...

But it was about 26% of his attempts.



What he did prior to joining the bulls is meaningless. Yes, he is useless as a scorer in the bulls offense. There's a reason why he he was averaging 6-7 ppg once he joined the bulls. Hes not an efficient scorer that you want him to be taking alot of shots. He attempted What ? 1.5 three attempts per game The last 7 years of his career? So 26% of that came from corner threes. That's .5 per game? And he made 36% ? So you sample size is the 10 -15 threes he made per season?


Roughly 100 shot attempts. But at least I posted accurate and not made up numbers.



So your sample size is 100 shot attempts across 5 seasons and at 36% we are talking 36 shot made or 6 three per season. 6 three per season is your sample size ? Your argument that Harper can provide spacing is based on 6 three per season?
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 30,372
And1: 14,068
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#274 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:08 pm

toodles23 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:This hand checking stuff is baffling. Hand checking is great against iso scorers. The warriors for the most part run a motion office based on the triangle's post spacing but with modern 3 point positioning. The only exception was KD would after iso in the mid range where he's stil near 7'0 and can't really be guarded from 18 pulling up. Hand checking didn't stop smaller, slower, worse dribbleing, and weaker guards of the 90's from getting down the court to setup the offense...it's not going to stop the warriors either.

Meanwhile Iggy, Klay, Dray, Livington, and even Curry would actually be better defenders if they could hand check themselves.

Also...did you guys not watch the Jazz? They were more than able to make multiple finals spamming pick and rolls just like teams do today without the modern spacing and shooting around them.

The hand checking point is extremely dumb for a different reason, which is that it was banned in 1996 and the rule was being strictly enforced. Lots of people in this thread clearly don't know even the basics of league history; the NBA banned handchecking after 1994.

Watch any 1996 Jordan highlight video and you will clearly see that there was no more handchecking back then than there is now.


There were different levels of it banned over time. But yes, the most egregious handchecking was not allowed in 96, you're correct.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 30,372
And1: 14,068
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#275 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:12 pm

ccvle wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
ccvle wrote:

What he did prior to joining the bulls is meaningless. Yes, he is useless as a scorer in the bulls offense. There's a reason why he he was averaging 6-7 ppg once he joined the bulls. Hes not an efficient scorer that you want him to be taking alot of shots. He attempted What ? 1.5 three attempts per game The last 7 years of his career? So 26% of that came from corner threes. That's .5 per game? And he made 36% ? So you sample size is the 10 -15 threes he made per season?


Roughly 100 shot attempts. But at least I posted accurate and not made up numbers.



So your sample size is 100 shot attempts across 5 seasons and at 36% we are talking 36 shot made or 6 three per season. 6 three per season is your sample size ? Your argument that Harper can provide spacing is based on 6 three per season?


A career 72% free throw shooter and 30% 3 point shooter can absolutely slot into a corner 3 slot and provide some down hill rim aggression when allowed. Instead of making things up, perhaps watch how many players who have transitions into that role have become rather good at it. Note that even guys barely over 30% are still useful in those roles.
User avatar
ccvle
Head Coach
Posts: 6,021
And1: 1,465
Joined: Aug 03, 2002

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#276 » by ccvle » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:43 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
ccvle wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Roughly 100 shot attempts. But at least I posted accurate and not made up numbers.



So your sample size is 100 shot attempts across 5 seasons and at 36% we are talking 36 shot made or 6 three per season. 6 three per season is your sample size ? Your argument that Harper can provide spacing is based on 6 three per season?


A career 72% free throw shooter and 30% 3 point shooter can absolutely slot into a corner 3 slot and provide some down hill rim aggression when allowed. Instead of making things up, perhaps watch how many players who have transitions into that role have become rather good at it. Note that even guys barely over 30% are still useful in those roles.


That's how often ? Once every 5 game? Theres a reason why he attempted just 20 corner three a season. That's not his game. That's not the bulls offense. If you insist on believing a 29% three point shooter is going to provide any sort of spacing then keep believing it.
draftnightsuit
Analyst
Posts: 3,515
And1: 6,552
Joined: Oct 08, 2016

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#277 » by draftnightsuit » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:49 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:90's rules, not a hope in hell. Current rules, maybe. No point in disucssing without knowing which one.


90’s rules - Warriors in 4
Today’s rules - Warriors in 4
2050 rules - Warriors in 4
ninjamilk23
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,277
And1: 1,096
Joined: Apr 24, 2014
 

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#278 » by ninjamilk23 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:06 pm

Warriorfan wrote:I'm a warrior fan and think Chi would win at best 5 probably 6 . Curry and Thompson would be made inefficient by Pippen and Jordan but not vise versa. Curry and Klay maybe have one unconscious shooting game each.

So Rodman and KD would be the key match up.


Ah yes it came down to Rodman and KD. Lol. Rodman was such a juggernaut offensively in 96. I remember when he caught fire and scored a playoff high of 15 points against Orlando. I mean you can't just leave him open and allow him to get his 7ppg.
Sometimes I'll start a sentence and I don't even know where it's going. I just hope I find it along the way.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 30,372
And1: 14,068
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#279 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:42 pm

ccvle wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
ccvle wrote:

So your sample size is 100 shot attempts across 5 seasons and at 36% we are talking 36 shot made or 6 three per season. 6 three per season is your sample size ? Your argument that Harper can provide spacing is based on 6 three per season?


A career 72% free throw shooter and 30% 3 point shooter can absolutely slot into a corner 3 slot and provide some down hill rim aggression when allowed. Instead of making things up, perhaps watch how many players who have transitions into that role have become rather good at it. Note that even guys barely over 30% are still useful in those roles.


That's how often ? Once every 5 game? Theres a reason why he attempted just 20 corner three a season. That's not his game. That's not the bulls offense. If you insist on believing a 29% three point shooter is going to provide any sort of spacing then keep believing it.


I'm well aware of how bad the triangle was for creating corner 3's. Unlike you and facts.
KrAzY3
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,393
And1: 1,768
Joined: Jun 26, 2016
     

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#280 » by KrAzY3 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:23 pm

Is this game being played in neutral territory, let's say in a 2006 with refs of that era? Things like that matter.

These are two completely different teams from two different eras and both would have some trouble adjusting if they were magically transported to the respective team's eras and had to adjust to that style of officiating and other minor nuances. Both teams were dominant in their era for a reason, they were built to dominate their respective eras.

Return to The General Board