[Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing...

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,280

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#181 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:08 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:Morey might be one of the most overrated GMs I've seen.

huh? with dame injury and beals fa ofc his asking price is higher. im going to demand dame plus cj now both damaged goods.
2for 1. morey won in the end i apologize.

Lay off the meth.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#182 » by kuclas » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:10 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Kawhi played 9 games and reportedly had a degenerative quad and showed a side of himself the public hadn't seen by refusing to play or use the Spurs team doctor. I literally said Ben isn't Kawhi, but he's still viewed as an impact player, hence all these teams interested in trading for him. The price will go up the closer we get to the deadline and someone who could lose their job may pull the trigger on a trade that blows away what some of you are expecting.

Yeah, but not at the price that the Spurs got when they traded away Kawhi. 76ers want more than what the Spurs got for Kawhi **** Leonard. They aren't getting that.

They may get more than that because the Spurs took DeMar just to stay competitive, who knows what else they could have gotten. I think you're really under estimating what someone will do to retain their job. How about we wait and see what they get? A month ago the Hawks weren't interested and now look, a month from now someone could panic.

People are trying to compare a leonard with one year left to Simmons with 4 years left (now 3.5 years). I don't know why posters on this board refuse to acknowledge these simple facts. Guys on longer term deals, their teams have zero incentive to trade for them especially if Simmons is just 25 years ago. I can get trying to trade a 33 year old Simmons on a long term contract. But age, contract length matter a great deal here.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,683

Post#183 » by Pointgod » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:24 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:I think too many people in here are looking at this from a perspective of what they would do if they were a GM and not what some of the GMs with losing records right now might do. I don't think Simmons value is as low as some of you think, we're not even 5 yrs removed from Kawhi seemingly having a degenerative quad injury and refusing to return to the Spurs and that still got them an all-star and young player, obviously Simmons isn't Kawhi but he's still viewed as an impact player around the league and if he were as negative an asset as some of you think so many teams wouldn't be kicking the tires right now.

A month from now some of these GMs will be on the hot seat and all it takes is one of them to panic.

No what most people are looking at the situation as what it is, not what Morey and delusional Sixers fans want it to be. Think about it logically as you say, if I’m Boston, Hawks or Wizards and desperate, I’m not trading my best or second best player for someone who I’m going to get for half a season, I don’t know how he will fit into my system and could potentially make my situation worse because now you have to rely on Ben Simmons as your best player.

Now the Kings, Wolves, Trailblazers would be willing to trade Fox, Russell, Mcollum but apparently that’s an insulting offer that offends Morey’s delicate sensibilities.

It’s a different story if you trade for Ben during the offseason when you have the draft, free agency, training camp and preseason to shape your team and implement a system. Morey didn’t want to take the highest offer last offseason and I don’t think the offers get better this offseason.

Comparing this to the Kwahi situation would be like the Spurs expecting Lebron or Durant for injured and disgruntled Kawhi instead of a lesser player and draft assets. Completely illogical and just wishful thinking.
jstross
Senior
And1: 247

Post#184 » by jstross » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:41 pm

They got bounced in the second rd of the playoffs last year with Simmons. They weren't going anywhere with a Simmons Embiid combination. Obiously it would be better to get assets for Simmons, but a bunch of role players doesn't move the needle.
So I'm fine with waiting for a package that might make a meaningful impact.
The Rebel wrote:
jstross wrote:
Bulliever2020 wrote:Morey is really about to waste an entire year of Embiid's prime. Disgraceful.

Last time I checked the Sixers were playing really well without the prima dona. All while getting their younger guards valuable experiece. Win win imo. If Moray were to cave to Simmons ridiculous demands after threatening holdout for the lucrative contract it would ruin the NBA.

Last I checked the 76ers are a 5th seed basically tied with 6th after being a 1st seed last year, that is not something to brag about if you ask me.
jstross
Senior

Post#185 » by jstross » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:45 pm

Sixers basically had no roster at one point this season so the record is misleading. They're playing well.
jstross wrote:
Bulliever2020 wrote:Morey is really about to waste an entire year of Embiid's prime. Disgraceful.

Last time I checked the Sixers were playing really well without the prima dona. All while getting their younger guards valuable experiece. Win win imo. If Moray were to cave to Simmons ridiculous demands after threatening holdout for the lucrative contract it would ruin the NBA.
bake51
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#186 » by bake51 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:45 pm

jstross wrote:They got bounced in the second rd of the playoffs last year with Simmons. They weren't going anywhere with a Simmons Embiid combination. Obiously it would be better to get assets for Simmons, but a bunch of role players doesn't move the needle.
The Rebel wrote:
jstross wrote:

Last I checked the 76ers are a 5th seed basically tied with 6th after being a 1st seed last year, that is not something to brag about if you ask me.

When Simmons and Embiid play together they have above a 60% winning percentage. Last year was a bad playoffs for Simmons and the Sixers I will give you that but they were also finals bound a couple years ago if not for Kawhi hitting that shot.

But I have no problem with Morey not accepting a bunch of role players for Simmons. He might just have to accept a happy medium either at the trade deadline or this offseason. Maybe not a star player like Beal or Lillard but players better than just role players. Or maybe they can get Harden.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#187 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:48 pm

kuclas wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
Yeah, but not at the price that the Spurs got when they traded away Kawhi. 76ers want more than what the Spurs got for Kawhi **** Leonard. They aren't getting that.

They may get more than that because the Spurs took DeMar just to stay competitive, who knows what else they could have gotten. I think you're really under estimating what someone will do to retain their job. How about we wait and see what they get? A month ago the Hawks weren't interested and now look, a month from now someone could panic.

People are trying to compare a leonard with one year left to Simmons with 4 years left (now 3.5 years). I don't know why posters on this board refuse to acknowledge these simple facts. Guys on longer term deals, their teams have zero incentive to trade for them especially if Simmons is just 25 years ago. I can get trying to trade a 33 year old Simmons on a long term contract. But age, contract length matter a great deal here.

There is also a downside to there being 3 years left on Simmons contract in that if Simmons continues to be a problem the team is on the hook for $30+ million per year of potential bad contract.
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
jstross
Senior

Post#188 » by jstross » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:53 pm

Tough to tell what the team needs, but finding a deal for Harris is one thing, lol. I seen no way Moray finds a deal for the two of them.
bake51 wrote:
jstross wrote:They got bounced in the second rd of the playoffs last year with Simmons. They weren't going anywhere with a Simmons Embiid combination. Obiously it would be better to get assets for Simmons, but a bunch of role players doesn't move the needle.
The Rebel wrote:

When Simmons and Embiid play together they have above a 60% winning percentage. Last year was a bad playoffs for Simmons and the Sixers I will give you that but they were also finals bound a couple years ago if not for Kawhi hitting that shot.

But I have no problem with Morey not accepting a bunch of role players for Simmons. He might just have to accept a happy medium either at the trade deadline or this offseason. Maybe not a star player like Beal or Lillard but players better than just role players. Or maybe they can get Harden.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#189 » by kuclas » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:55 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:
kuclas wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

There is also a downside to there being 3 years left on Simmons contract in that if Simmons continues to be a problem the team is on the hook for $30+ million per year of potential bad contract.

Yes and no, if Simmon's cannot perform and doesn't cooperate with team's recommendation to "rehab" either he keeps getting fined or if he keeps saying he's not "mentally ready" At some point, the mental illness starting after 12 months (aka starting after July 2022) sixers can try to pursue permanent disability claims and get salary cap relief like Miami Heat got with Chris Bosh.

So Morey and Sixers can still play hard ball with Simmons. The dude spends a lot of money. I suspect at his rate of spending he's gonna to fold in less than 24 months being broke unless Klutch is gonna to bail him out. Rich Paul is back tracking stuff like simmons wants to be traded but mentally not ready. If he's not mentally ready, the trade request should be the last thing from his mind. Right? I think Klutch and Simmons are so far deep in the lying hole, they got to continue lying for as long as they can. That's just my opinon and you can choose to agree or disagree.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,414

Post#190 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:01 pm

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,898

Post#191 » by whatisacenter » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:04 pm

this situation is such a mess. Ben not playing and Philly not having a max salary player on their team to make the most of a healthy Embiid season. time will tell but I can't see Morey getting a king's ransom in the offseason.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,726

Post#192 » by Nate505 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:07 pm

Hopefully the best solution appears here...that he gets fined to oblivion until he decides to stop being an unprofessional jackass and honor the contract he signed.

Or he could like focus on his mental health, retire, and go to the country and practice artisan cheesemaking or whatever. Oh, but then we all know this isn't about his mental health. It's about getting paid for doing nothing.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#193 » by kuclas » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:09 pm

whatisacenter wrote:this situation is such a mess. Ben not playing and Philly not having a max salary player on their team to make the most of a healthy Embiid season. time will tell but I can't see Morey getting a king's ransom in the offseason.

It is a mess. But Simmon's created this mess by not showing up than using the mental illness excuse.

King's ransom is cause Simmon's is under long term contract and his age (25). He's trying to create a new blueprint for other players to force themseleves and it's simply never been done with with this meany years left plus his age. Never.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#194 » by Bankai » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:17 pm

Wait, why are people thinking that Simmons stock is growing while Brown, Tatum, Lillards etc is tanking? Both are tanking, Simmons is still tanking harder, at least Brown, Tatum, and Lillard still want to play for their Teams. Sixers WANT to unload Ben, Celtics DONT WANT to unload Brown, they have more leverage. Swapping Stars is a pipe dream that Morey is desperately holding onto. Teams are not willing to put themselves in worse situations and go All In because 1 guy still thinks he is the smartest and winningest guy at the Table, while his Poker Chips continue to disappear at a higher rate then the rest. The attitude doesent match the situation, im sorry. Ben is a 4 year, max money, risk, who knows when he will try this stunt again with his new team.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,834

Post#195 » by Duffman100 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:20 pm

Really happy we didn't trade Siakam for him that this point. Especially with how Siakam is now trending.

23, 9 and 6 in January
22, 9 and 5 in December
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#196 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:25 pm

KhalilS wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
KhalilS wrote:He didn't take the lowball offers, and now better options are becoming realistic.

No, "you think" better options are becoming realistic. That's different. As a neutral fan, I have *no* idea why you think Beal (or a healthy Lillard???) would be the slightest bit realistic right now.

Neutral fan? I'm not a Philly or Simmons fan, and I'm not Australian, I'm just looking at the simple facts.
Hawks, Celtics, Wizards and Blazers are all stuck and need a major change to become relevant again, and they are all much more willing to make trades they weren't prepared to make in the offseason.

Being willing to make trades does not equal being willing to trade their best/star players. That's the disconnect you aren't understanding.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,659

Post#197 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:27 pm

He’s gonna go in the off-season. Too much risk in taking him for the asking price and he’s not Klay Thompson who can slot in anywhere. You’re gonna have to tailor your roster to him and he just hasn’t shown he is a tier 1 “best player on your team” guy.

Only guy I see available is Beal if he finally gives up the charade or Dame if the Blazers don’t like what they see post a do surgery
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#198 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:27 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Pretty sure the Wolves are in the playoffs and Celtics are in the play-in.

Meanwhile, the Lillard and Beal have said nothing about wanting to leave and their respective teams have been completely steadfast in saying they have no intention of trading them and want to continue building around them. Keep hanging your hat on that dream there buddy...

You Sixer fans who are so stuck on the idea of getting Lillard, Tatum, Brown, or Beal in a direct Simmons deal are just cringe-worthy embarrassing. Think out of a box a little more. As I've been saying, if the Sixers really want a guy of that caliber, they're better off doing it by other means like FA vs trying to do it via trade because the teams you guys keep bringing up time and time and time again aren't interested in it.

Dump salary and then take a swing at James Harden this summer... that's a far more realistic way for Morey and you Sixer fans to get the quality of player you want than this trade pipedream you all are smoking.

The issue with both Beal and Dame is how much do their teams want to keep them at this point?

Especially with Beal. The privilege of signing him to a supermax isn't all that appealing. Even a standard 5 year max is a dicey proposition.

I can only tell you what the Blazers GM is saying publicly, and publicly it's that they have every intention of keeping him for the long haul. They've not been coy and dancing around the subject, they've been very blunt about their intentions with this.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#199 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:31 pm

TheLand13 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
That trade isn't something involving Ben Simmons, and there's no facts you can bring up to support that theory.

This is asinine, Hawks, Celtics, Wizards and Blazers record is pretty much a fact, Hawks GM saying they shouldn't have brought everyone again, is a fact, Celtics locker room issues is a fact, each one of these facts makes each one of these more and more willing to trade for Simmons.

No, they don't. None of these point to the conclusion that they'd be willing to trade for Simmons.

I don't think any of those teams care what their record is in regards to whether or not they need a player like Simmons on the team. Fit matters, and apart from Washington, none of the other three teams would be any better bringing in Simmons for the price Philly is asking for.

How does Hawks GM saying that support the theory that they'd be willing to go all in on Simmons? The moment the 76ers included Harris in that deal, any interest they had went out the window.

Celtics locker room issue? Simmons is literally refusing to play for his team and you think Celtics would have any desire to bring something like that in to fix LOCKER ROOM issues?

Think about what you are saying. You're just hurting your argument.

I think that ship has sailed.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#200 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:32 pm

docholliday99 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
The Sixers are targeting top 25-caliber players for trades, but those kinds of assets have yet to be made available to them in offers, sources said. Some teams have even described the Sixers' asking price for a Simmons' deal as growing in price - not declining, sources told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33052865/sources-ben-simmons-agent-meets-philadelphia-76ers-sides-no-closer-resolution

"Daryl, teams are saying we're asking too much for Ben, what should we do?"

"Ask for more!"

:roll:

You eye roll though it makes sense to me...if you're asking price for your product is 100 and everyone is coming in with offers at 70-80, then jack the price to 120-130 and see if you can get to 90-100.

For myself, Morey increasing his price for Simmons is suggesting multiple suitors are in play - or at the very least, the illusion of it. I'd be surprised, shocked really, if Simmons was still on the roster past the deadline - Embiid will be 28 soon and with his injury history I wouldn't be wasting his prime years.

This is the NBA, not **** Craigslist lol.

This analogy also falls flat because Morey's first asking price for his "product" wasn't 100. He started at 120, got offers of around 80-90, then jacked it up to 150. He never started the bidding at a fair value price, he started it asking $1.50 for $1 and is now trying to get $2.

Return to The General Board