[Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing...

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#21 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:23 am

So he’s not going anywhere and risk wasting Joel career ok
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#22 » by Hipster Doofus » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:24 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Canadian6ersFan wrote:I like it. Teams are becoming desperate, and will become even more desperate as the playoffs near and some are on the cusp.

If that strategy doesn't work, there's always draft day and the off-season.

Ben was hoping to jet outta Philly. That ain't happenin, cuz. You gonna stay till the franchise is the benefactor, not you :D

Which? Which teams are becoming desperate?

In the East, the Wizards are 9th, Celtics are 10th, Hawks are 12th. All out of the playoffs currently and expected to make the playoffs before the season started. There's pressure to perform there and change things up.

In the West, the Timberwolves are 9th, Spurs are 10th, Kings are 12th and Pelicans are 13th. All teams that are performing less than expected before the season started, so the expectations were high and actual results are low.

That's 7 teams right there. And the number will grow the closer we get to the playoffs. Somebody will panac at the trade deadline, guaranteed.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,839

Post#23 » by giberish » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:25 am

KhalilS wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Well, Morey has been proven right, in the offseason, no one thought Brown or Beal for Simmons are realistic, I think both deals are totally realistic now, and if Lillard wasn't injured, he also would be realistic.

Morey has been proven right? Every single article written about a Simmons trade all say the same thing.

“Simmons is no closer to returning to the team and the team is no closer to getting a trade done.”

How is that proving Morey right?

He didn't take the lowball offers, and now better options are becoming realistic.

You're assuming that demand for Simmons isn't dropping. Even if Brown or Beal actually are on the market where they weren't in the offseason (no proof of either, only vague rumors), if number of teams interested in Simmons drops, or what they're willing to pay drops then Morey would still be left with 'lowball' offers. Possibly even lower than previous.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#24 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:25 am

Statlanta wrote:I don't think it's Morey I think it's more the Sixers management group(Philadelphia is an historic franchise).

This may have some level of truth to it, but I think it's silly to assume Morey isn't 100% in lock-step with the mgmt group's thinking.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,422

Post#25 » by Mavrelous » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:25 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
We must be reading two very different articles. The one I read from the OP clearly states

“those kinds of assets have yet to be made available to them in offers”

And

“and the Sixers' steep asking price has brought Simmons no closer to a potential trade”

I’m not seeing where these top 25 players are becoming available to the 6ers. This article again says the complete opposite, these kind of players are still not being made available and the 6ers are no closer to making a trade.

No, we're not reading different article, you're just focusing on a single claim in the article and ignoring what I said.
Is Brown for Simmons more or less likely now? Beal for Simmons?
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#26 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:26 am

Canadian6ersFan wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Canadian6ersFan wrote:I like it. Teams are becoming desperate, and will become even more desperate as the playoffs near and some are on the cusp.

If that strategy doesn't work, there's always draft day and the off-season.

Ben was hoping to jet outta Philly. That ain't happenin, cuz. You gonna stay till the franchise is the benefactor, not you :D

Which? Which teams are becoming desperate?

In the East, the Wizards are 9th, Celtics are 10th, Hawks are 12th. All out of the playoffs currently and expected to make the playoffs before the season started. There's pressure to perform there and change things up.

In the West, the Timberwolves are 9th, Spurs are 10th, Kings are 12th and Pelicans are 13th. All teams that are performing less than expected before the season started, so the expectations were high and actual results are low.

That's 7 teams right there. And the number will grow the closer we get to the playoffs. Somebody will panac at the trade deadline, guaranteed.

Literally all you're doing is listing teams current standings. Nowhere are you explaining how those teams are "desperate". You're just guessing teams will "panac" at the deadline (even though historically that's pretty unlikely).
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,938

Post#27 » by Ice Trae » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:26 am

Morey the type of guy to turn on trade override in 2k
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,811

Post#28 » by Quattro » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:27 am

KhalilS wrote:Well, Morey has been proven right, in the offseason, no one thought Brown or Beal for Simmons are realistic, I think both deals are totally realistic now, and if Lillard wasn't injured, he also would be realistic.

What makes you think any of those scenarios are realistic?

Edit -nm I see someone already asked this question.
Bulliever2020
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,978

Post#29 » by Bulliever2020 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:27 am

Morey is really about to waste an entire year of Embiid's prime. Disgraceful.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#30 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:27 am

KhalilS wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
We must be reading two very different articles. The one I read from the OP clearly states

“those kinds of assets have yet to be made available to them in offers”

And

“and the Sixers' steep asking price has brought Simmons no closer to a potential trade”

I’m not seeing where these top 25 players are becoming available to the 6ers. This article again says the complete opposite, these kind of players are still not being made available and the 6ers are no closer to making a trade.

No, we're not reading different article, you're just focusing on a single claim in the article and ignoring what I said.
Is Brown for Simmons more or less likely now? Beal for Simmons?

It's just as unlikely now as it was before. If it was any more likely, it would have been done. You're quite literally just making **** up.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#31 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:28 am

Quattro wrote:

What makes you think any of those scenarios are realistic?

"... Cause!"
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,741

Post#32 » by VanWest82 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:28 am

Sixers are doing the right thing. There’s no rush. No need to deal him for pennies on the dollar. Situations change all the time and new opportunities present themselves.

Also, Ben’s opinion may change when he’s staring down the barrel of a second season forfeiting pay.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#33 » by J_T » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:29 am

It does make sense. There is one less year on his contract so it's almost an expiring contract.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#34 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:32 am

Bulliever2020 wrote:Morey is really about to waste an entire year of Embiid's prime. Disgraceful.

To be fair... I don't really think this is "wasting" a year of Embiid's prime. If the deals weren't there to keep the Sixers at the same level they were with Embiid and Simmons, then it makes some sense to wait it out and punt on one year. We simply don't know what offers were made entirely. We generally know the level of who has been made available (Bogdonovic's and CJ's of the world) and who's not been made available (Brown, Beal, Lillard level players), but actual offers we don't know. See what transpires over a season and maybe pushing it to the next years draft is fine imo.

That said, this can't drag out for the entirety of Ben's contract. I think this needs to get resolved at the very latest by this summer... can't have a repeat of this and play this dumb waiting game for 2 seasons of Embiid's prime.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#35 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:32 am

J_T wrote:It does make sense. There is one less year on his contract so it's almost an expiring contract.

Wut? He's still got like 3 years after this year...
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#36 » by Hipster Doofus » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:34 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Literally all you're doing is listing teams current standings. Nowhere are you explaining how those teams are "desperate". You're just guessing teams like "panac" at the deadline (even though historically that's pretty unlikely).

Correct. Current standings of those teams vs. expected standings of those teams before the season started.

Did we think the Celtics would be out of the playoffs with two stars on the teams?

Did we think the Hawks would go from Eastern Conference runners-up a year ago to 12th in the East?

The Wizards out of the playoffs after adding all those players in the off-season?

The Timberwolves with their front-office changes in the off-season and out of the playoffs for almost 20 years? When they can taste the offseason this year and just need a little push to finally make KAT happy and get in.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,243

Post#37 » by SNPA » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:35 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Bulliever2020 wrote:Morey is really about to waste an entire year of Embiid's prime. Disgraceful.

To be fair... I don't really think this is "wasting" a year of Embiid's prime. If the deals weren't there to keep the Sixers at the same level they were with Embiid and Simmons, then it makes some sense to wait it out and punt on one year. We simply don't know what offers were made entirely. We generally know the level of who has been made available (Bogdonovic's and CJ's of the world) and who's not been made available (Brown, Beal, Lillard level players), but actual offers we don't know. See what transpires over a season and maybe pushing it to the next years draft is fine imo.

That said, this can't drag out for the entirety of Ben's contract. I think this needs to get resolved at the very latest by this summer... can't have a repeat of this and play this dumb waiting game for 2 seasons of Embiid's prime.

Came a long way in that post.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#38 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:37 am

Canadian6ersFan wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Literally all you're doing is listing teams current standings. Nowhere are you explaining how those teams are "desperate". You're just guessing teams like "panac" at the deadline (even though historically that's pretty unlikely).

Correct. Current standings of those teams vs. expected standings of those teams before the season started.

Did we think the Celtics would be out of the playoffs with two stars on the teams?

Did we think the Hawks would go from Eastern Conference runners-up a year ago to 12th in the East?

The Wizards out of the playoffs after adding all those players in the off-season?

The Timberwolves with their front-office changes in the off-season and out of the playoffs for almost 20 years? When they can taste the offseason this year and just need a little push to finally make KAT happy and get in.

None of your pointless questions justify your theory that any of those teams will "panic" at the trade deadline. Again, historically that's very very VERY rare.

If any teams make a panic trade, it's far more likely to be the teams who are in contention and think they need one more piece to put themselves over the top. Those are the teams who'll overspend to get a player in the fold. I can't think of one time that a team struggling to just make the playoffs made a panic trade to just get a bottom seed in the playoffs.

But hey, if you think 5 + blue = Eleventeen... you do you.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,239

Post#39 » by Dan Z » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:38 am

Statlanta wrote:I don't think it's Morey I think it's more the Sixers management group(Philadelphia is an historic franchise).

That said too many teams(10 in the West/12 in the East) are still in the race for a play-in spot. If the play-in wasn't invented maybe teams would be less gun shy about trading.

Management definitely knows what's going on and has told Morey what they want him to do.

The Simmons situation is too important, and too high profile, for management not to be involved on some level.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#40 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:38 am

SNPA wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Came a long way in that post.

Whats your point? I think you can wait one season to try and get a good deal, but you can't do it for multiple seasons. If you're trying to find a gotcha moment in there, not sure where it is.

Return to The General Board