[Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing...

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,611

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#41 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:43 am

KhalilS wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
We must be reading two very different articles. The one I read from the OP clearly states

“those kinds of assets have yet to be made available to them in offers”

And

“and the Sixers' steep asking price has brought Simmons no closer to a potential trade”

I’m not seeing where these top 25 players are becoming available to the 6ers. This article again says the complete opposite, these kind of players are still not being made available and the 6ers are no closer to making a trade.

No, we're not reading different article, you're just focusing on a single claim in the article and ignoring what I said.
Is Brown for Simmons more or less likely now? Beal for Simmons?

I’m focusing on a single claim? I’m focusing on the entire point of the article. And it’s not just this article. Every single Ben Simmons article written by anyone with any credibility all seem to be saying the same thing.

“6ers aren’t any closer to trading Simmons”.

And to your question, I’d say Philly is just as close as they’ve ever been. That is why everyone is saying “Philly isn’t any closer to getting a deal done”.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#42 » by SNPA » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:44 am

DusterBuster wrote:
SNPA wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
To be fair... I don't really think this is "wasting" a year of Embiid's prime. If the deals weren't there to keep the Sixers at the same level they were with Embiid and Simmons, then it makes some sense to wait it out and punt on one year. We simply don't know what offers were made entirely. We generally know the level of who has been made available (Bogdonovic's and CJ's of the world) and who's not been made available (Brown, Beal, Lillard level players), but actual offers we don't know. See what transpires over a season and maybe pushing it to the next years draft is fine imo.

That said, this can't drag out for the entirety of Ben's contract. I think this needs to get resolved at the very latest by this summer... can't have a repeat of this and play this dumb waiting game for 2 seasons of Embiid's prime.

Came a long way in that post.

Whats your point? I think you can wait one season to try and get a good deal, but you can't do it for multiple seasons. If you're trying to find a gotcha moment in there, not sure where it is.

One year with zero return on Ben isn’t wasting a year of Embiid’s prime. But year two of no return on Ben is wasting a year of Embiid’s prime. Ok.

Morey’s last hope is this deadline. The idea that the offers get better next year is loopy. The longer Ben is out, the less value he has. His team is now putting out stories that he’ll need weeks to get ready…lol. They are going to fight Morey to the end because they know Morey is in a losing position. The longer this goes, the worse for Morey. He knows that too but his ego is in the way now. He’d be smart to take the best deal next month, develop a PR campaign to justify it and move on.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,666

Post#43 » by G R E Y » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:44 am

Canadian6ersFan wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Canadian6ersFan wrote:I like it. Teams are becoming desperate, and will become even more desperate as the playoffs near and some are on the cusp.

If that strategy doesn't work, there's always draft day and the off-season.

Ben was hoping to jet outta Philly. That ain't happenin, cuz. You gonna stay till the franchise is the benefactor, not you :D

Which? Which teams are becoming desperate?

In the East, the Wizards are 9th, Celtics are 10th, Hawks are 12th. All out of the playoffs currently and expected to make the playoffs before the season started. There's pressure to perform there and change things up.

In the West, the Timberwolves are 9th, Spurs are 10th, Kings are 12th and Pelicans are 13th. All teams that are performing less than expected before the season started, so the expectations were high and actual results are low.

That's 7 teams right there. And the number will grow the closer we get to the playoffs. Somebody will panac at the trade deadline, guaranteed.

We're in year one of a rebuild. How were Spurs expecting to be higher? We may be, and Ben would likely have accelerated that, but a deep playoff push was not really the expectation of anyone.

Our name hasn't been mentioned in many weeks. As a matter of fact, earlier in the process Morey didn't like our non-star package. And now that Dejounte is growing and is the leader of the team, I really don't think we want to package him out for mystery injury/family issues/absent from team player with two detriments we actually need to shore up - 3s and FTs.

It's a no from us, mate, regardless of where we are in the standings.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#44 » by WargamesX » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:45 am

PlatinumState wrote:Lets face it....hes gonna sit out the rest of his contract, which is the next 3 seasons

I can see them moving him this summer. The FA is weak and the “I need weeks to get into shape” issue will be resolved by him having a whole summer. Flipside Philly’s owner pockets his money through fines until they do find a deal. That’s a $33 million rebate on their salary. In theory I could see why they would be hesitant to pay that and not have a contending team.

Honestly the more I think about it, if Morey was told “We don’t want to pay for the luxury for a non contending team” him not trading Ben outside of a kings haul makes sense. Philly don’t got to pay Ben, and jettisoning Tobias along with him makes sense too to save even more money.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#45 » by HiRez » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:49 am

Probably asking teams to cover all of Simmons' back pay while he's not playing too. Good luck with that Morey.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,007

Post#46 » by DelAbbot » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:51 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Well, Morey has been proven right, in the offseason, no one thought Brown or Beal for Simmons are realistic, I think both deals are totally realistic now, and if Lillard wasn't injured, he also would be realistic.

Morey has been proven right? Every single article written about a Simmons trade all say the same thing.

“Simmons is no closer to returning to the team and the team is no closer to getting a trade done.”

How is that proving Morey right?

I'm not a fan of what Morey is doing but this waiting has opened up more opportunities to trade Ben.

1. Atlanta Hawks underperforming, and regression of their defense might have opened up Hawks to a Ben Simmons trade, whereas at beginning of season there was no chance.

2. Beal and Lillard underperforming has brought their untouchable status down to a possible Ben Simmons trade, whereas at beginning of the season there was little chance. Realistically, I don't think WAS trades Beal, and Lillard getting abdominal surgery rules him out of a trade until offseason.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#47 » by everdiso » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:51 am

Smart - some teams that thought they were much better than they were are probably much more desperate to make a move than they were.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#48 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:52 am

SNPA wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
SNPA wrote:Came a long way in that post.

Whats your point? I think you can wait one season to try and get a good deal, but you can't do it for multiple seasons. If you're trying to find a gotcha moment in there, not sure where it is.

One year with zero return on Ben isn’t wasting a year of Embiid’s prime. But year two of no return on Embiid’s is wasting a year of Ben’s prime. Ok.

Morey’s last hope is this deadline. The idea that the offers get better next year is loopy. The longer Ben is out, the less value he has. His team is now putting out stories that he’ll need weeks to get ready…lol. They are going to fight Morey to the end because they know Morey is in a losing position. The longer this goes, the worse for Morey. He knows that too but his ego is in the way now. He’d be smart to take the best deal next month, develop a PR campaign to justify it and move on.

We're obviously on different wave-lengths here. You can afford one year to really see the landscape of things, but you can't do two, because - as you accurately said - offers won't get better. That said, you can afford to do past the trade deadline and see what comes of the draft/FA period. Some new options may be available at that point with how the draft shakes out and rumors are that the Sixers may want a S&T deal with Brooklyn for Harden (according to Windhorst), so again, I get waiting out this season and into the summer time. But again, as you said, I agree, you can't repeat going into the 22-23 season with Simmons sitting at home. At that point, you have to cut bait and move on.

But I'm in full agreement that Morey's ego let this thing spiral WAY out of control.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#49 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:52 am

everdiso wrote:Smart - some teams that thought they were much better than they were are probably much more desperate to make a move than they were.

Man, some of you people are just making this **** up as you go, aren't you?
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#50 » by mademan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:52 am

KhalilS wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
We must be reading two very different articles. The one I read from the OP clearly states

“those kinds of assets have yet to be made available to them in offers”

And

“and the Sixers' steep asking price has brought Simmons no closer to a potential trade”

I’m not seeing where these top 25 players are becoming available to the 6ers. This article again says the complete opposite, these kind of players are still not being made available and the 6ers are no closer to making a trade.

No, we're not reading different article, you're just focusing on a single claim in the article and ignoring what I said.
Is Brown for Simmons more or less likely now? Beal for Simmons?

What youre saying is that life has happened in the last 3 months. Yes, players have played and yes some of their values have risen and some have fallen. This was obviously going to happen. Im not sure what that proves. Morey will be proven right when one of these guys become available, not when their value drops. Who's to say Simmons value hasnt dropped more?
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#51 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:53 am

DelAbbot wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Well, Morey has been proven right, in the offseason, no one thought Brown or Beal for Simmons are realistic, I think both deals are totally realistic now, and if Lillard wasn't injured, he also would be realistic.

Morey has been proven right? Every single article written about a Simmons trade all say the same thing.

“Simmons is no closer to returning to the team and the team is no closer to getting a trade done.”

I'm not a fan of what Morey is doing but this waiting has opened up more opportunities to trade Ben.

1. Atlanta Hawks underperforming, and regression of their defense might have opened up Hawks to a Ben Simmons trade, whereas at beginning of season there was no chance.

2. Beal and Lillard underperforming has brought their untouchable status down to a possible Ben Simmons trade, whereas at beginning of the season there was little chance. Realistically, I don't think WAS trades Beal, and Lillard getting abdominal surgery rules him out of a trade until offseason.

There's literally a number of articles I could find right now to prove the exact opposite.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#52 » by DelAbbot » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:56 am

DusterBuster wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Morey has been proven right? Every single article written about a Simmons trade all say the same thing.

There's literally a number of articles I could find right now to prove the exact opposite.

Before the Lillard surgery, would Portland not consider blowing it up and trade Lillard for a package around Ben Simmons? Where Ben could sit out rest of this year to cure his "mental health issues" and Portland tank to a top lottery pick 2022?
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,298

Post#53 » by GeorgeSears » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:57 am

Good. Hold the line and make sure you get something equal in return or don't trade him. They can't allow the players to set the precedent otherwise small market teams are going to be in even more trouble than they already are.

Part of the reason the Sixers aren't lowering their offer is because they're playing good basketball right now. I'm guessing the Sixers want a guard in return to match up with Embiid.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#54 » by mademan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:58 am

I truly do think its an "FU" ego type thing atm between Philly ownership/FO (i think Morey's getting too much hate/love for this, it's the managements call to sit on an asset). They dont like Ben Simmons trying to finagle his way out of the deal. But if Shams is right and theyre still paying him, im not entirely sure Simmons is hating this. Simmons can legit sit on his ass for 4 years, come in and do some workout and get a 30 mill contract (at least a 1 year prove it type deal) imo. It only really hurts him if he cares about his NBA legacy, which i dont think he does
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#55 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:00 am

DelAbbot wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:

Before the Lillard surgery, would Portland not consider blowing it up and trade Lillard for a package around Ben Simmons? Where Ben could sit out rest of this year to cure his "mental health issues" and Portland tank to a top lottery pick 2022?

No, and from all reports we're hearing in Portland and they still aren't considering trading Lillard any more than they were over the summer. Literally everything we have heard here in Portland is that the plan is to continue to build around Lillard, not trade him. So again... outside of magical thinking on your guys part, all actual reports we're getting is you're wrong.
bbalnation
Sixth Man
And1: 954

Post#56 » by bbalnation » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:03 am

Sixers receive:
Terrace Mann, Nicolas Batum, Marcus Morris and/or Luke Kennard and/or Serge Ibaka

Clippers recieve:
Ben Simmons

It gives the Clippers the chance to retool this season, and have a defensive anchor lead their two offensive beasts in Kawhi & PG (who can also guard pretty well). OKC owns the rights to the Clippers draft pick so ending up with the 11th seed won't be the worst thing in the world with that roster in this scenario.

For the Sixers, they get a good 2 way wing in Terrance Mann at 25 years old on a great contract, Nicolas Batum who can flourish in the right system with an ability to guard any position, and their choice in shooting (all with consistent playoff experience minus Luke). In terms of free agency, someone is flexing Darryls relationship with James Harden, and perhaps this opens a door for that, or another elite-wing, to be able to do that, while also building a contender this year.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#57 » by DelAbbot » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:04 am

DusterBuster wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

No, and from all reports we're hearing in Portland and they still aren't considering trading Lillard any more than they were over the summer. Literally everything we have heard here in Portland is that the plan is to continue to build around Lillard, not trade him. So again... outside of magical thinking on your guys part, all actual reports we're getting is you're wrong.

I'm not partial to PHI or POR. I really dislike Morey and hope Ben Simmons sits out 4 years and leave a stain on Morey.

It just appeared to me the logical move for Portland would be to start over since they have built an expensive roster and it's still 16-24. But it's upto the Portland ownership to keep wanting to compete and that is perfectly fine.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,957

Post#58 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:06 am

We will look back at all this and view it as Morey wasting a year of Embiid's prime.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#59 » by DelAbbot » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:08 am

bbalnation wrote:Sixers receive:
Terrace Mann, Nicolas Batum, Marcus Morris and/or Luke Kennard and/or Serge Ibaka

Clippers recieve:
Ben Simmons

It gives the Clippers the chance to retool this season, and have a defensive anchor lead their two offensive beasts in Kawhi & PG (who can also guard pretty well). OKC owns the rights to the Clippers draft pick so ending up with the 11th seed won't be the worst thing in the world with that roster in this scenario.

For the Sixers, they get a great 2 way wing in Terrance Mann at 25 years old on a great contract, Nicolas Batum who can flourish in the right system with an ability to guard any position, and their choice in shooting. In terms of free agency, someone is flexing Darryls relationship with James Harden, and perhaps this opens a door for that, or another elite-wing, to be able to do that, while also building a contender this year.

I love it. Offer Morey a bunch of negative value contracts + Mann, and no picks for Ben Simmons. A giant middle finger! Just like Chuck would say

Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#60 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:11 am

bbalnation wrote:Sixers receive:

Clippers recieve:
Ben Simmons

For the Sixers, they get a great 2 way wing in Terrance Mann at 25 years old on a great contract, Nicolas Batum who can flourish in the right system with an ability to guard any position, and their choice in shooting (all with consistent playoff experience minus Luke). In terms of free agency, someone is flexing Darryls relationship with James Harden, and perhaps this opens a door for that, or another elite-wing, to be able to do that, while also building a contender this year.

I like this trade quite a bit if the Clippers are willing to throw the season while Leonard and PG get healthy.

Morris, Batum and Kennard provide immediate help and incredible depth while Mann is a very nice long term prospect.

The salaries work but what would Philly do with their roster after the 4 for 1 swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."

Return to The General Board