[Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing...

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

srhcan
Starter
And1: 1,550

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#61 » by srhcan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:12 am

DusterBuster wrote:
The Sixers are targeting top 25-caliber players for trades, but those kinds of assets have yet to be made available to them in offers, sources said. Some teams have even described the Sixers' asking price for a Simmons' deal as growing in price - not declining, sources told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33052865/sources-ben-simmons-agent-meets-philadelphia-76ers-sides-no-closer-resolution

"Daryl, teams are saying we're asking too much for Ben, what should we do?"

"Ask for more!"

:roll:

Need to fire Morey to save 76ers
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,143

Post#62 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:13 am

Eventually, the appeal of waiting to be a third team facilitator is going to wear off, and when that happens, teams are going to move on to other trades. I'd give Philly until 17th to get a deal done (two days after all the F.A. can be traded).

But if there's still a huge delta, and it's moving in the wrong direction, then why wait for the two teams to ask you to bridge the gap?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#63 » by everdiso » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:14 am

DusterBuster wrote:
everdiso wrote:Smart - some teams that thought they were much better than they were are probably much more desperate to make a move than they were.

Man, some of you people are just making this **** up as you go, aren't you?

Come on man you can't tell me that teams like BOS ATL LAL POR etc aren't much more motivated to make this kind of big deal than they were coming into the year.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,397

Post#64 » by JRoy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:16 am

bbalnation wrote:Sixers receive:
Terrace Mann, Nicolas Batum, Marcus Morris and/or Luke Kennard and/or Serge Ibaka

Clippers recieve:
Ben Simmons

It gives the Clippers the chance to retool this season, and have a defensive anchor lead their two offensive beasts in Kawhi & PG (who can also guard pretty well). OKC owns the rights to the Clippers draft pick so ending up with the 11th seed won't be the worst thing in the world with that roster in this scenario.

For the Sixers, they get a good 2 way wing in Terrance Mann at 25 years old on a great contract, Nicolas Batum who can flourish in the right system with an ability to guard any position, and their choice in shooting (all with consistent playoff experience minus Luke). In terms of free agency, someone is flexing Darryls relationship with James Harden, and perhaps this opens a door for that, or another elite-wing, to be able to do that, while also building a contender this year.

A handful of ham and egger bench guys and no picks doesn’t get it done.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
bbalnation
Sixth Man
And1: 954

Post#65 » by bbalnation » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:29 am

DelAbbot wrote:
bbalnation wrote:Sixers receive:
Terrace Mann, Nicolas Batum, Marcus Morris and/or Luke Kennard and/or Serge Ibaka

Clippers recieve:
Ben Simmons

It gives the Clippers the chance to retool this season, and have a defensive anchor lead their two offensive beasts in Kawhi & PG (who can also guard pretty well). OKC owns the rights to the Clippers draft pick so ending up with the 11th seed won't be the worst thing in the world with that roster in this scenario.

For the Sixers, they get a great 2 way wing in Terrance Mann at 25 years old on a great contract, Nicolas Batum who can flourish in the right system with an ability to guard any position, and their choice in shooting. In terms of free agency, someone is flexing Darryls relationship with James Harden, and perhaps this opens a door for that, or another elite-wing, to be able to do that, while also building a contender this year.

I love it. Offer Morey a bunch of negative value contracts + Mann, and no picks for Ben Simmons. A giant middle finger! Just like Chuck would say

Net negative? Hm. Perhaps to you.

Serge is owed 9.7 million this year, on an expiring contract. Thats what I was referring to when I mentioned the flexibility.

Nicolas Batum is owed 3.1 million this year & 3.3 million next year. He puts up 8/4.5/1.5/1/0.7, on 47/39. Hes not playing great ball on paper, but I think he's a net positive relative to what he's paid, and what he does on the court. I also think he fits beautifully with Joel.

Im not gonna bother defending Marcus on realgm for too long because Everyone Hates The Morris Sr Twins. What i will say is, Marcus Morris has been playing really well this season offensively & defensively, and his splits are impressive as well.

.. or Luke because in his specific case, I dont think hes a good fit for the Sixers. With that said: I think both of those players, relative to what they have been consistently producing, could be moved to a third team if the Sixers don't want them and want a player who they feel fits better, and is perhaps on an expiring contract.

I dont know what types of agreements each players made with management when signing with the Clippers (esp Nicolas), but when I look at it: the sum of the net value that each player brings on each side evens out. Its not always that I would make a trade decision in this way: usually its a player by player thing (id ideally want 1 player to be as impactful as 1 player). But I think the situation & environment is different than a typical trade, because we don't know how Ben will play when he comes back (and the longer this holds out, the more this becomes the case, imo).
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#66 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:42 am

DelAbbot wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Well, Morey has been proven right, in the offseason, no one thought Brown or Beal for Simmons are realistic, I think both deals are totally realistic now, and if Lillard wasn't injured, he also would be realistic.

Morey has been proven right? Every single article written about a Simmons trade all say the same thing.

“Simmons is no closer to returning to the team and the team is no closer to getting a trade done.”

How is that proving Morey right?

I'm not a fan of what Morey is doing but this waiting has opened up more opportunities to trade Ben.

1. Atlanta Hawks underperforming, and regression of their defense might have opened up Hawks to a Ben Simmons trade, whereas at beginning of season there was no chance.

2. Beal and Lillard underperforming has brought their untouchable status down to a possible Ben Simmons trade, whereas at beginning of the season there was little chance. Realistically, I don't think WAS trades Beal, and Lillard getting abdominal surgery rules him out of a trade until offseason.

Based on what? Again every single report that comes out says no stars are available and they aren’t any closer to getting a deal done.

So it seems like every expert doesn’t agree that they’re in a better spot to land a star.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,791

Post#67 » by NZB2323 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:46 am

Simmons refuses to play for the 76ers.

The 76ers refuse to trade Simmons unless they get a star back.

Teams refuse to trade a star for Simmons.

It's a 3-way Mexican standoff.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#68 » by kuclas » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:19 am

NZB2323 wrote:Simmons refuses to play for the 76ers.

Pretty much on spot.

Simmons spends at least 1-2 million a month. He’s got around 18-20 months he can not play until he’s out of money. Tax rate including state income is close to 45%.

I have no doubt his psychological problem is he’s doesn’t want to play for sixers. Best resolution would be be sixers and Simmons agree to buyout of $0 after all the money has been spent (say 15 days after the free agent signing). Simmons can go sign the mid level exemption. And move on.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#69 » by Hipster Doofus » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:23 am

DusterBuster wrote:
None of your pointless questions justify your theory that any of those teams will "panic" at the trade deadline. Again, historically that's very very VERY rare.

If any teams make a panic trade, it's far more likely to be the teams who are in contention and think they need one more piece to put themselves over the top. Those are the teams who'll overspend to get a player in the fold. I can't think of one time that a team struggling to just make the playoffs made a panic trade to just get a bottom seed in the playoffs.

But hey, if you think 5 + blue = Eleventeen... you do you.

Then all that remains to be said is: we shall see. Bookmarked to come back to in a month.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#70 » by HMFFL » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:26 am

kuclas wrote:

Pretty much on spot.

Simmons spends at least 1-2 million a month. He’s got around 18-20 months he can not play until he’s out of money. Tax rate including state income is close to 45%.

I have no doubt his psychological problem is he’s doesn’t want to play for sixers. Best resolution would be be sixers and Simmons agree to buyout of $0 after all the money has been spent (say 15 days after the free agent signing). Simmons can go sign the mid level exemption. And move on.
That seems risky for Simmons to do unless he's certain he will be extended the max in the future. Otherwise, he loses out on a lot of money. If a buyout is reached Philly will probably need to pay this years full salary.

I look forward to seeing how this ends.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#71 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:32 am

I mean, I applaud Morey and the Sixers if they are truly willing to let Simmons rot.

If he breaks Ben, and doesn’t give in to his bogus mental health claims and all his other nonsense and this drags out for years, and Simmons has to start over in a vet minimum deal because no one has seen him play in 4 years and he ended up costing himself hundreds of million through fines and lost future contracts…

This is good for the rest of the teams in the league as players will think twice before pulling this nonsense again.

Go Morey.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#72 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:38 am

Canadian6ersFan wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Literally all you're doing is listing teams current standings. Nowhere are you explaining how those teams are "desperate". You're just guessing teams like "panac" at the deadline (even though historically that's pretty unlikely).

Correct. Current standings of those teams vs. expected standings of those teams before the season started.

Did we think the Celtics would be out of the playoffs with two stars on the teams?

Did we think the Hawks would go from Eastern Conference runners-up a year ago to 12th in the East?

The Wizards out of the playoffs after adding all those players in the off-season?

The Timberwolves with their front-office changes in the off-season and out of the playoffs for almost 20 years? When they can taste the offseason this year and just need a little push to finally make KAT happy and get in.

If the asking price is a top 25 level player, do you think the Hawks are despearate enough to give up Trae Young?! If the answer is no, then scratch the Hawks off that list, which in turn, leaves less teams insterested.

Are the Wizards giving up Beal?! I ask again, if the answr is no, then that simply makes 1 less team than before in the mix.

Celtics giving up Brown after stating they have no intention to splitup Brown/Tatum?!

For crying out loud, given those teams current state, why wait any longer when it's going to take Ben a few weeks to get acclimated anyway. Why wait right up til the deadline to make a move when said move would potentially make your team worse until Ben finally shows up?
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect
And1: 575

Post#73 » by Eric Bieniemy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:00 am

Harris, Simmons, Curry, Green, Thybulle
for
Davis, Westbrook, Horton-Tucker, Nunn, Bazemore

PG - Nunn - Milton
SG - Maxey - Korkmaz
C - Embid - Drummond
PF - Davis - Niang
SF - Westbrook - Tucker

PG - Curry - Reaves
SG - Green - Monk
C - James - Ariza
PF - Harris - Anthony
SF - Simmons - Thybulle
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#74 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:05 am

Canadian6ersFan wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
None of your pointless questions justify your theory that any of those teams will "panic" at the trade deadline. Again, historically that's very very VERY rare.

If any teams make a panic trade, it's far more likely to be the teams who are in contention and think they need one more piece to put themselves over the top. Those are the teams who'll overspend to get a player in the fold. I can't think of one time that a team struggling to just make the playoffs made a panic trade to just get a bottom seed in the playoffs.

But hey, if you think 5 + blue = Eleventeen... you do you.

Then all that remains to be said is: we shall see. Bookmarked to come back to in a month.

Lol, I love the “bookmark this for later” posters…. As though anyone gives a **** lmao.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#75 » by JN61 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:09 am

Pharmcat wrote:Tht , 26 first rd pick , Westbrook should be good offer for morey

They would need to add like 15 to 17? Million contracts to go with Simmons to be able to do that trade.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#76 » by TheLand13 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:09 am

KhalilS wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Well, Morey has been proven right, in the offseason, no one thought Brown or Beal for Simmons are realistic, I think both deals are totally realistic now, and if Lillard wasn't injured, he also would be realistic.

Morey has been proven right? Every single article written about a Simmons trade all say the same thing.

“Simmons is no closer to returning to the team and the team is no closer to getting a trade done.”

How is that proving Morey right?

He didn't take the lowball offers, and now better options are becoming realistic.

No they’re not. There hasn’t been any sign that Philly has come even close to getting a trade done.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#77 » by Coxy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:15 am

Realistic? For who, the Sixers? Because they sure shouldn't be realistic for Boston, Washington or Portland. No way they give up those guys for Simmons, lol.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#78 » by kuclas » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:17 am

HMFFL wrote:
kuclas wrote:

Pretty much on spot.

That seems risky for Simmons to do unless he's certain he will be extended the max in the future. Otherwise, he loses out on a lot of money. If a buyout is reached Philly will probably need to pay this years full salary.

I look forward to seeing how this ends.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

You simply don’t reward this type of behavior. One thing is mental illness. Another is refusing to show up. Is he that afraid he can’t even show up on the bench? But somehow getting traded to another team will make it all better.

I think klutch and Simmons know they are so deep into this mental illness game. They don’t know what to do.

It’s like a lie that keeps getting worse. And the only way to keep it up. Is to keep playing the game

If Simmons is not mentally ready. He’s not mentally ready to play for anyone. And not get paid. Period until his cooperates. And around the 12 months mark. He isn’t out of the funk with the mental illness. Time to pursue other matters like career ending salary cap relief through a long process. He can keep playing the mental game. And maybe gets most of his money. And not have to play again.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#79 » by Oscirus » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:19 am

so they raising the price on a one way player that hasnt played in forevs? Tell me how that works out for you guys
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#80 » by Tomjas » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:24 am

kuclas wrote:

Pretty much on spot.

Fantasy land

Return to The General Board