How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds?

Moderators: KingDavid, jamaalstar21, Harry Garris, Dirk, ken6199, infinite11285, Domejandro, bisme37, bwgood77, zimpy27

Big J
Veteran
Posts: 2,684
And1: 3,046
Joined: May 26, 2020

How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#1 » by Big J » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:43 am

This man was absolutely unreal, but the rebounds especially seem nuts. How the hell did he get so many freaking boards? The man was getting 40 boards left & right. Teams only miss 40 shots per game nowadays.
TheBobster
Junior
Posts: 363
And1: 403
Joined: Sep 19, 2014
     

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#2 » by TheBobster » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:51 am

He was big, he was athletic and it took it personally when anybody else invaded his domain around the basket.

And he played A LOT of minutes.
TheBobster
Junior
Posts: 363
And1: 403
Joined: Sep 19, 2014
     

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#3 » by TheBobster » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:52 am

And there were more rebounds available because of the faster pace.
giberish
RealGM
Posts: 13,732
And1: 3,949
Joined: Mar 30, 2006
Location: Whereever you go - there you are

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#4 » by giberish » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:53 am

The pace was crazy in the early-60's. Especially in 1961-2 when all the records were broken. So more of everything.

Teams shot much worse at the time, so even more rebounds to be had.

Rebounds tended to be much more concentrated to centers than now. Wilt wasn't the only center of the era with huge rebound numbers.

Wilt played huge minutes. 48.5 mpg in 1961-2.
Lockdown504090
Head Coach
Posts: 6,270
And1: 6,390
Joined: Nov 24, 2015
         

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#5 » by Lockdown504090 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:53 am

man said he slept with 20k women, yet still managed to get more rebounds than that.
RoxSteady
Rookie
Posts: 1,136
And1: 3,665
Joined: Jul 22, 2019
 

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#6 » by RoxSteady » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:55 am

Boxing out.
TheBobster
Junior
Posts: 363
And1: 403
Joined: Sep 19, 2014
     

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#7 » by TheBobster » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:55 am

giberish wrote:The pace was crazy in the early-60's. Especially in 1961-2 when all the records were broken. So more of everything.

Teams shot much worse at the time, so even more rebounds to be had.

Rebounds tended to be much more concentrated to centers than now. Wilt wasn't the only center of the era with huge rebound numbers.

Wilt played huge minutes. 48.5 mpg in 1961-2.



He missed 8 minutes all season when he was thrown out in the fourth quarter of one game for fighting.

Who the hell wanted to fight Wilt??
User avatar
Calvin Klein
RealGM
Posts: 11,436
And1: 3,900
Joined: May 20, 2008
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:
   

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#8 » by Calvin Klein » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:56 am

Faster pace, low fg%; he was huge and played the whole game
User avatar
jamaalstar21
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 5,606
And1: 10,950
Joined: Jul 21, 2016
 

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#9 » by jamaalstar21 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:07 am

In the 60s, it wasn't rare for a team to average over 130 possessions in a game.
The average FG% for a team was 41-43% most of those years.

Today, the average number of possessions is under 100.
and the average FG% is over 45% (despite 3-pointers existing and being prevalent).

Having 30 extra possessions on worse FG% creates a **** ton more rebounding opportunities.
The average number of rebounds a team gets today is 44. In the 1960s it was over 65.
hippesthippo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,858
And1: 1,809
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
     

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#10 » by hippesthippo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:12 am

jamaalstar21 wrote:In the 60s, it wasn't rare for a team to average over 130 possessions in a game.
The average FG% for a team was 41-43% most of those years.

Today, the average number of possessions is under 100.
and the average FG% is over 45% (despite 3-pointers existing and being prevalent).

Having 30 extra possessions on worse FG% creates a **** ton more rebounding opportunities.
The average number of rebounds a team gets today is 44. In the 1960s it was over 65.


Yup. When you make the adjustment, he's basically rebounding at Andre Drummond rate. Still really good, obv, but the stats are just different throughout the decades as different parts of the game were emphasized/changed.
TheBobster
Junior
Posts: 363
And1: 403
Joined: Sep 19, 2014
     

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#11 » by TheBobster » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:59 am

hippesthippo wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:In the 60s, it wasn't rare for a team to average over 130 possessions in a game.
The average FG% for a team was 41-43% most of those years.

Today, the average number of possessions is under 100.
and the average FG% is over 45% (despite 3-pointers existing and being prevalent).

Having 30 extra possessions on worse FG% creates a **** ton more rebounding opportunities.
The average number of rebounds a team gets today is 44. In the 1960s it was over 65.


Yup. When you make the adjustment, he's basically rebounding at Andre Drummond rate. Still really good, obv, but the stats are just different throughout the decades as different parts of the game were emphasized/changed.


The thing is, not only was he expending that energy rebounding, he was also expending it offensively and defensively.
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,826
And1: 545
Joined: Jul 20, 2004

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#12 » by pwayknicks » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:02 am

Have to give the man credit for paying every minute in a faster pace. Today’s players with today’s medicine are soo revered when they play 40+ minutes at a slower pace in a playoff series Yet wilt with no modern medicine in a faster pace dud of for an entire season!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
TheBobster
Junior
Posts: 363
And1: 403
Joined: Sep 19, 2014
     

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#13 » by TheBobster » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:04 am

pwayknicks wrote:Have to give the man credit for paying every minute in a faster pace. Today’s players with today’s medicine are soo revered when they play 40+ minutes at a slower pace in a playoff series Yet wilt with no modern medicine in a faster pace dud of for an entire season!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



And much worse travel conditions.
User avatar
whitehops
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,757
And1: 4,499
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
     

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#14 » by whitehops » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:05 am

hippesthippo wrote:Yup. When you make the adjustment, he's basically rebounding at Andre Drummond rate. Still really good, obv, but the stats are just different throughout the decades as different parts of the game were emphasized/changed.


him and bill russell were actually rebounding at a lower rate than drummond (and rodman).

both the pace and the minutes wilt played allowed him to get the crazy amount of rebounds he did, but his rebound percentage was around 20% whereas drummond's career rebound percentage is 24%. so he was obviously still in the elite category, but more on valanciunas/dwight's level (7th/8th in nba history) than drummond or rodman's level (1st/2nd).
User avatar
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 16,139
And1: 19,983
Joined: Jun 17, 2006
   

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#15 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:05 am

He's on the top tier with Shaq/LeBron as the most imposing physical specimens of all time. A man as big as he was should not have been able to move the way he did.
"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

The Legend of George Marcus
dlts20
RealGM
Posts: 11,785
And1: 5,339
Joined: Dec 14, 2006

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#16 » by dlts20 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:09 am

He is one of the greatest athletes of all time. Maybe the best in NBA history, including MJ
Golden Knight
Analyst
Posts: 3,117
And1: 4,663
Joined: Feb 27, 2017
   

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#17 » by Golden Knight » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:28 am

giberish wrote:The pace was crazy in the early-60's. Especially in 1961-2 when all the records were broken. So more of everything.

Teams shot much worse at the time, so even more rebounds to be had.

Rebounds tended to be much more concentrated to centers than now. Wilt wasn't the only center of the era with huge rebound numbers.

Wilt played huge minutes. 48.5 mpg in 1961-2.

Lots of free throw attempts too at worse % so more FT rebounds both on offense and defense. I would love to see FT rebounding stats but can't seem to find any.

2020-21 - 88.4 FGA (.466), 21.8 FTA (.778), 44.3 rebounds per game

1961-62 - 107.7 FGA (.426), 37.1 FTA (.727), 71.4 rebounds per game
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 40,615
And1: 20,586
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#18 » by og15 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:53 am

Others have basically mentioned it

Great stamina, great rebounding ability then add that to played in an era where everyone played a lot of minutes, every team took a lot of shots, every team missed a lot of shots (and missed more FT's) and there were a lot of rebounds to be grabbed.

You can do simple math. If you average 15 rebounds in a league with an average of 44 rebounds, how many would you average in a league with an average of 65 rebounds? The answer is 22 rebounds.

So how did Wilt average so many rebounds? He was a great rebounder in a league with a lot of rebounds to grab.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 40,615
And1: 20,586
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#19 » by og15 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:56 am

pwayknicks wrote:Have to give the man credit for paying every minute in a faster pace. Today’s players with today’s medicine are soo revered when they play 40+ minutes at a slower pace in a playoff series Yet wilt with no modern medicine in a faster pace dud of for an entire season!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure, insane stamina because even though everyone played a lot of minutes, he played more than everyone else.

The thing to balance out is that even though the pace was faster, players covered less ground in the half court. Bigs essentially mainly camped in the paint and didn't have to travel too far defensively.
TheBobster
Junior
Posts: 363
And1: 403
Joined: Sep 19, 2014
     

Re: How in the hell did Wilt get so many damn rebounds? 

Post#20 » by TheBobster » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:58 am

Wilt Chamberlain played 13 full seasons (he played only 12 games in 1969-70 because of a knee injury)

He led the league in total points scored 7 times
He led the league in total rebounds 11 times
He led the league in total assists 1 time
He led the league in total minutes played 8 times
He led the league in field goal percentage 9 times

Return to The General Board