Warriors Owner (minority) Take on Uyghurs in China

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Re: Warriors Owner (minority) Take on Uyghurs in China 

Post#81 » by draftnightsuit » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:28 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:A Bay Area liberal who defends China and hates on the U.S.?

Not surprising.

This guy doesn’t sound liberal to me. He’s just a guy that values $$$ and economy over everything else. Sounds like majority of republicans.

He’s a neoliberal capitalist. Basically this meme:

Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,234

Post#82 » by Tracymcgoaty » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:33 pm

Jables wrote:Any defense of genocide or some war mongering country ends up with "America is no better". Bitch I ain't even American, and why would that be an excuse to not do what is right? It's just a lame deflection.

I do love that he said the CCP isn't a dictatorship though, it's literally in their constitution that they are a dictatorship.

It's not a deflection though is it? Practice what you preach.

https://www.dw.com/en/us-drone-strikes-killed-thousands-of-civilians-report/a-60184096

Just typed in US drones and found this one immediately. How often was this reported by the media in the US? Or in the media in general? This crap where we pick and choose when to be virtuous is hilarious.

For how long have the US had a hold of the middle east now?

Weren't the US involved in regime changes in latin american countries?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_involvement_in_regime_change_in_Latin_America

Wasn't the US involved in using LSD in the 50s on people because they wanted to see what the symptoms would be?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Midnight_Climax

Just because it isn't happening on their own lawn is no a reason for them to be exempt from criticism.

I mean i still remember the war in Iraq seeing news anchors on US media look joyous whenever they bombed the country back to the stone ages. Sounded like a kid who got a kill streak in COD.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Gasolina
Junior
And1: 529

Post#83 » by Gasolina » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:33 pm

First Step wrote:He's probably saying what most people are thinking. Everyone pays lip service to the Uyghurs, but after they send that tweet, they go back to liking photos of food on insta.

There's a big difference between paying mere lip service to an issue and actively profiting off the slave labour of ethnic minorities who have been incarcerated because of their ethnicity and nothing more.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,355

Post#84 » by CIN-C-STAR » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:44 pm

I'm sure the other 1%ers will have a stern talking to with him at the next Bohemian Grove meeting.
I think most all of them view "ordinary people" as too insignificant to care about, certainly too insignificant to lose money over, but it's well understood that you don't say that.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#85 » by Pharmcat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:44 pm

8-)
Kurtz wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Same - I’ve seen him on cnbc a bunch. I’m pretty sure he made millions on game stop or some stock

His name is Chamath. Former Facebook exec turned venture capitalist. He's brash, says what's on his mind, likes dissing big institutions, sounds like he's for the average Joe and takes on some social issues with a lot of publicity so he's quite liked by his fans.

He was liked well enough for a time, but after the SPAC pump and dumps he dropped on his followers last year, the sentiment on him changed quite a bit. Read the replies on the next time he tweets, you'll find him to be quite disliked.

This tweet summarizes his pump and dumps last year:

What is a spac pump and dump?

I thought clov had potential ,like getting into the next uhc early , but boy that’s going to be a penny stock
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#86 » by Billy Goat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:A Bay Area liberal who defends China and hates on the U.S.?

Not surprising.

This guy doesn’t sound liberal to me. He’s just a guy that values $$$ and economy over everything else. Sounds like majority of republicans.

He's a progressive who's actually owning his aholeness and being a hypocrite. Most cant admit it.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#87 » by Pharmcat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 pm

iqureshi wrote:Right wing indians are about 5 minutes from a muslim genocide in their own country, so obviously he doesn't care. Ultra right wing over there, MAGA on steroids.

Isn’t he Sri Lankan ?
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#88 » by Kurtz » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:09 pm

Pharmcat wrote:8-)
Kurtz wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
His name is Chamath. Former Facebook exec turned venture capitalist. He's brash, says what's on his mind, likes dissing big institutions, sounds like he's for the average Joe and takes on some social issues with a lot of publicity so he's quite liked by his fans.

He was liked well enough for a time, but after the SPAC pump and dumps he dropped on his followers last year, the sentiment on him changed quite a bit. Read the replies on the next time he tweets, you'll find him to be quite disliked.

I thought clov had potential ,like getting into the next uhc early , but boy that’s going to be a penny stock

A SPAC is just a super quick way to raise money for an IPO by bypassing a bunch of administrative delays/paperwork/oversight. Basically a company looking for a cash infusion will give Chamath tons of equity, he'll promote the crap out of it, raise private and public money via said SPAC, it'll pop on hype and then he'll quietly sell off his equity while leaving the public shareholder with the bags.

It's similar to the altcoin crypto scams.

That's what he did with Clover (I believe Mark Cuban got in on that scam too).

I was in on Clover too - got lucky and sold at the height of its dead-cat bounce to break even after wising up to his scams.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#89 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:12 pm

DowJones wrote:
MikeM wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I watched the entire podcast this morning after seeing this tweet. You’re not really missing any extra context here.

You are missing context because he gives justification as to why he doesn't care about China's situation, in relation to America's own domestic situation. He goes on to list a dozen things he does care about.

That clip is absolutely missing context. Whether you agree with him or not is a separate matter. And for the record, I don't completely agree with him either.

There is no context here. What he said was awful. There is no context that makes this OK. Saying you don’t care about slavery is awful. Saying you don’t care about what happened to Jews during the holocaust is awful. Saying you don’t care about genocide in China is awful. The guy is a piece of crap.

Yup.

This is a BIG YIKES
WHITE_HOT_HEAT
Sixth Man
And1: 2,209

Post#90 » by WHITE_HOT_HEAT » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:14 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
alebaba wrote:Ppl keep bringing up genocide but I have yet to find any evidence of it. Nobody know what is going on over there, just bunch of speculations and fake videos that has been debunk many times. Let's be real here, the only reason yall even give a dam about this, because its China.

Us Americans are bunch of hypocrites, fake nice guy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/escaped-chinese-internment-camp-174000219.html

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/11/01/xinjiang-china-uyghur-camps/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/16/world/asia/china-xinjiang-documents.html

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/02/asia/xinjiang-china-karakax-document-intl-hnk/

You know what the amazing thing is? There are Uyghurs that have escaped China. There are several document leaks from the government itself. Not sure if this is willful ignorance or what…

Yup. What is that guy smoking? Tons of direct testimonies from people who've fled.
"And a Man?... A Man provides... And he does it even when he's not appreciated, or respected, or even loved. He simply bears up and he does it.... Because he's a Man...."
threethehardway
Rookie
And1: 1,773

Post#91 » by threethehardway » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:17 pm

America literally killed entire families with drone strikes on a monthly basis, tortured innocent people in the name of War on Terrorism, has Native American "reservations" that is overran with addictions and sexual assault, imprisons the most people on the planet and yet we talking about Uyghurs in China?

I wish people would admit that the whole "what about the Uyghurs in China" thing is some red scare tactic when half of the world's nations is allied with America and supports the red white and blue no matter what atrocities America has committed and will commit.

If you don't like China, just say you don't like China and keep it moving.
TheFire
Senior
And1: 914

Post#92 » by TheFire » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:17 pm

Kurtz wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:8-)
Kurtz wrote:

A SPAC is just a super quick way to raise money for an IPO by bypassing a bunch of administrative delays/paperwork/oversight. Basically a company looking for a cash infusion will give Chamath tons of equity, he'll promote the crap out of it, raise private and public money via said SPAC, it'll pop on hype and then he'll quietly sell off his equity while leaving the public shareholder with the bags.

It's similar to the altcoin crypto scams.

That's what he did with Clover (I believe Mark Cuban got in on that scam too).

I was in on Clover too - got lucky and sold at the height of its dead-cat bounce to break even after wising up to his scams.

Him and many other notable figures should get jailed for blatantly pumping **** Spacs and alt coins.
WHITE_HOT_HEAT
Sixth Man
And1: 2,209

Post#93 » by WHITE_HOT_HEAT » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:21 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
iqureshi wrote:Right wing indians are about 5 minutes from a muslim genocide in their own country, so obviously he doesn't care. Ultra right wing over there, MAGA on steroids.

Isn’t he Sri Lankan ?

Yes he is... But for islamofascists crying victimhood and spewing falsehoods is the norm...

This despite being one of the biggest culprits of slavery (even modern day), genocides, rape and pillage during invasions of Asia, Europe etc (something to gloss over for them). It's really quite amazing how they cry victims in the West despite being perhaps the biggest fascists and bigots on the planet. Hell, look at penniless Pakistan, the state sponsor of terrorism. How many people know about the genocide of pagans there or Bangladeshi Hindus? Thet just lynched a Sri-Lankan recently in their country and are the flag bearers of Taliban. A pakistani islamofascist just flew across to pond to hold Jews hostage in the US. Check out the great Anjem Chaudhary living in the west.

Now that the world is hitting back - in Myanmar, India, Srilanka etc, they cry victim. What a dirty dirty game. These guys turned the Buddhists into extremists.

Warned for derailing
"And a Man?... A Man provides... And he does it even when he's not appreciated, or respected, or even loved. He simply bears up and he does it.... Because he's a Man...."
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#94 » by MrBigShot » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:27 pm

Hard to gauge how he meant that. From my perspective, I care but I'm not putting my energy towards it. Like most people, I'm pre-occupied with other things going on in life. But the way he said it came across as very tone deaf.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
ElodyTamTam
Junior
And1: 329

Post#95 » by ElodyTamTam » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:29 pm

5 pages in, still no mention of the 10 million (and counting) middle-eastern civilians killed by US bombs these last 30 years alone. Amazing. Americans accusing others of persecuting muslims. Muslims! Of all people! That's gotta be the epitome of Orwellian doublespeak.

Warned for derailing
theoilslick
Senior
And1: 266

Post#96 » by theoilslick » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:35 pm

Chamath Palihapitiya is a Sri Lankan-born Canadian and American venture capitalist, engineer, SPAC sponsor, and the founder and CEO of Social Capital.

As a Canadian I’m ashamed by his words:
"Of all the things that I care about, it is below my line."

No Chamath, the Uighurs’ forced IUDs, abortions and sterilizations are far beyond your petty line.

https://apnews.com/article/ap-top-news-international-news-weekend-reads-china-health-269b3de1af34e17c1941a514f78d764c
Charlie Kelly: “I eat stickers all the time, dude!” IASiP
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,109

Post#97 » by art_tatum » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:37 pm

China is pretty much a dictatorship iono what he's talking about. Yes he has a rep in the stock trading finance world but he's pretty trash.
The governments of the USA and China both can be bad. It's not mutually exclusive.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#98 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:38 pm

What a douche
geminiz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Post#99 » by geminiz » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:45 pm

- Chamath is a douche. He basically came across as the jail-free version of Pharma Bro.
- He is right

Both can be true.
Look, CCP basically lied about what they know about the coronavirus when it first broke out, detained Chinese whistleblowers, and as result, took a huge dump around the world. In the meantime, half of the US population continues to blindly follow another stupid "challenge" and media constantly looks for what fad is trending on China's TikTok, which has well documented reports (before u call me Fox viewer, it has been reported in other news media like BBC) of suppressing issues like Tiananmen and Tibet that CCP doesn't like. But hey, keep those "social experiment" or "life hack" videos going!
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#100 » by shangrila » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:46 pm

ElodyTamTam wrote:5 pages in, still no mention of the 10 million (and counting) middle-eastern civilians killed by US bombs these last 30 years alone. Amazing. Americans accusing others of persecuting muslims. Muslims! Of all people! That's gotta be the epitome of Orwellian doublespeak.

It's called staying on topic, maybe you should try it.

Return to The General Board