Post-Mortem: 2021-22 New Orleans Pelicans

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

4 Questions

Poll ended at Sun May 1, 2022 2:01 am

Q1: Keep the GM
20%
Q1: Fire the GM
4%
Q2: Keep the coach
24%
Q2: Fire the coach
1%
Q3: Performed better than expected
22%
Q3: Performed as expected
3%
Q3: Performed worse than expected
0%
Q4: Rising Team
25%
Q4: Treadmill Team
No votes
Q4: Waning Team
0%

Total votes: 269

TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Re: Post-Mortem: 2021-22 New Orleans Pelicans 

Post#61 » by TheLand13 » Sun May 1, 2022 2:30 am

Slim Charless wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
Ingram is about as perfect of a second option for Zion as you can get. Highly confident shooter not afraid of the moment capable of creating his own shot, but has no problem deferring. This team is Zion being healthy away from competing.

Every good player wants and needs the ball. Even LeBron teams end up losing when he's the only capable ball handler, and he's probably the best ever at having the ball all game long.

If Zion and Ingram can't figure out a way to contribute next to one another, they aren't as good as they need to be. There is almost 0 overlap in the spots they occupy or the role they could and should play.

If the Knicks get a top 3 pick, I'd think about moving Zion along with Graham's crappy deal to them for that pick. Someone like Chet would give this team a great defensive anchor who can move-unlike Val. It also allows them to keep the identical same offense w/o having to change everything when Zion gets back and lastly will save money when it comes time for Val's new deal.

Maybe Zion +Graham for (Chet)+Obi?

That might be the worst trade suggestion I've ever seen on this site.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,298

Post#62 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 1, 2022 3:25 am

TheLand13 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Every good player wants and needs the ball. Even LeBron teams end up losing when he's the only capable ball handler, and he's probably the best ever at having the ball all game long.

If Zion and Ingram can't figure out a way to contribute next to one another, they aren't as good as they need to be. There is almost 0 overlap in the spots they occupy or the role they could and should play.

If the Knicks get a top 3 pick, I'd think about moving Zion along with Graham's crappy deal to them for that pick. Someone like Chet would give this team a great defensive anchor who can move-unlike Val. It also allows them to keep the identical same offense w/o having to change everything when Zion gets back and lastly will save money when it comes time for Val's new deal.

Zion for the #1 pick? That's not too off if he doesn't wanna come back. Or his medicals scare you.
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#63 » by FreeThrowLine » Sun May 1, 2022 5:05 am

I really hope Zion can put the injuries behind him and come into the season healthy and motivated to prove all the haters wrong and play like the beast he’s capable of being
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,688

Post#64 » by Whole Truth » Sun May 1, 2022 12:04 pm

BuddyBuckets wrote: Here's hoping CJ does more off-ball/spot up next year to conserve his energy and body and plays the '3rd wheel' He'll still get his. I'm quietly optimistic after seeing Zion's media day interview they'll be able to figure out their roles and where/when their points will come to them.

CJ dominated the ball playing with BI & at times, he had blinders on. It's his game. If he's starting, he will be dominating the ball.

CJ is a good catch & shoot option but a good portion of his value as a player, is his ability to create a shot for himself. Playing him off ball as mainly a catch & shoot player reduces his value as a player & him to a defensive liability. If you're also looking at conservation, NO's would be better off changing is his role rather than his game. Utilize him as the 6th man where he can ignite the offense & dominate, lead a defensive bench unit under that minute conservation. Where Willie can choose to close games with him or not, if he's playing well.

IMO the conversion & conservation should be his role, not his game. CJ coming off the bench better balances both units & maximizes his skillset.

This is why I've had Mathurin at 8 with the Lakers pick before NO's had the Lakers pick - a big, athletic guard, who can play off ball in transition & shoot, with potential.

Jonas - Nance/Hermangomez
Zion - Hayes/Nance
BI - Murphy/Naji
Herb - CJ/Graham
(#8 Mathurin) - Alvarado/Kira

All things considered I think this balances both units better. However, I also like Dukes idea of leaving the guard spot open... Murphy might be a potential fit aswell & Kira has played well in the past with Zion to rule him out. Don't hand it to CJ because he's a veteran & getting paid, where NO's would need him to alter his game to be a better fit. The goal should be to better balance both units. IMO that bench unit needs a dominant scorer like CJ in the mix to carry the offense, where he wouldn't have to alter what he's good at, scoring.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#65 » by TheLand13 » Sun May 1, 2022 12:49 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Zion for the #1 pick? That's not too off if he doesn't wanna come back. Or his medicals scare you.

It's a bad idea for both sides. You just made the playoffs. Why would you trade Zion when you know how good he can be if healthy? And forget the medicals for a moment. From the Knicks point of view, if they were to trade for him, he would be owed a contract extension very soon, limiting their cap space. They are better off keeping their number one overall pick and building up their future from there.

It's a terrible trade across the board, one of those rare ones where it makes no sense for either side to commit to.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,633

Post#66 » by jpengland » Sun May 1, 2022 7:24 pm

There's a very real risk Zion never plays more than 30 or 40 games in a season again. He has physical and mental issues that are difficult to overcome, especially for someone with that playing style.

They are a PO team without him and he still has that star factor. I'd trade him tomorrow for best assets available. If I can get a top 3 pick I'd pull the trigger.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#67 » by Alonzo_Morning » Mon May 2, 2022 5:41 am

Whole Truth wrote:
BuddyBuckets wrote: Here's hoping CJ does more off-ball/spot up next year to conserve his energy and body and plays the '3rd wheel' He'll still get his. I'm quietly optimistic after seeing Zion's media day interview they'll be able to figure out their roles and where/when their points will come to them.

CJ dominated the ball playing with BI & at times, he had blinders on. It's his game. If he's starting, he will be dominating the ball.

CJ is a good catch & shoot option but a good portion of his value as a player, is his ability to create a shot for himself. Playing him off ball as mainly a catch & shoot player reduces his value as a player & him to a defensive liability. If you're also looking at conservation, NO's would be better off changing is his role rather than his game. Utilize him as the 6th man where he can ignite the offense & dominate, lead a defensive bench unit under that minute conservation. Where Willie can choose to close games with him or not, if he's playing well.

IMO the conversion & conservation should be his role, not his game. CJ coming off the bench better balances both units & maximizes his skillset.

This is why I've had Mathurin at 8 with the Lakers pick before NO's had the Lakers pick - a big, athletic guard, who can play off ball in transition & shoot, with potential.

Jonas - Nance/Hermangomez
Zion - Hayes/Nance
BI - Murphy/Naji
Herb - CJ/Graham
(#8 Mathurin) - Alvarado/Kira

All things considered I think this balances both units better. However, I also like Dukes idea of leaving the guard spot open... Murphy might be a potential fit aswell & Kira has played well in the past with Zion to rule him out. Don't hand it to CJ because he's a veteran & getting paid, where NO's would need him to alter his game to be a better fit. The goal should be to better balance both units. IMO that bench unit needs a dominant scorer like CJ in the mix to carry the offense, where he wouldn't have to alter what he's good at, scoring.

How does Mathurin help if he's not hitting though?

That's why I love Dyson Daniels
kan_t
Pro Prospect
And1: 730

Post#68 » by kan_t » Mon May 2, 2022 9:39 am

I understand people concern if the Pelicans have spacing issue with Zion, CJ and Ingram playing together.

However, Zion is replacing Hayes, who averaged 0.8 3PA this season. Zion is replacing someone who just had 34 mid range FGA in70 games. Let's not act like they had spacing without Zion. CJ and Ingram shall have more spacing working at mid-range with Zion as the roll man instead of Hayes.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,688

Post#69 » by Whole Truth » Mon May 2, 2022 10:11 am

Alonzo_Morning wrote:
How does Mathurin help if he's not hitting though?

That's why I love Dyson Daniels

Nice selection Zo, Dyson should be in the mix.

What does Mathurin do well if he's not hitting.

- Elite athleticism
- Good size & length
- Potential to be a + defender
- + rebounder for a guard
- Moves well off ball
- Scores well off ball
- quick athlete, transition player
- Good enough handles that he can atleast take care of the ball, create a bit, score off the dribble
- His ability to both shoot & move off ball, will draw attention, regardless.
- 3&D floor, potential upside

Return to The General Board