Do Mavs stand a chance against Suns?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Do Mavs stand a chance against Suns?

Poll ended at Tue May 24, 2022 5:50 am

Yes, they can upset Suns
65%
Nope. Easy win for Suns
35%

Total votes: 344

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,061

Re: Do Mavs stand a chance against Suns? 

Post#201 » by sunsbg » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:08 pm

dygaction wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
dygaction wrote:There are two potential advantages to the Mavs or at least reduce the seeming gaps.

In the playoffs, Mavs are bad at rebounding due to lack of size (77.2DRB%; Jazz #1 @85.5TRB%), but Suns are the current the worst team surprisingly (65.0DRB%). Ayton's will have rebounding advantage inside but Mavs have just survived from Gobert.

Suns are one of the best fast break teams after forcing turnovers and CP3 takes good care of the ball (2nd lowest turnovers per game @ 11tpg), but Mavs is the slowest team with the lowest turnovers (8.7tpg). Mavs were also the 2nd lowest turnover team in the regular season behind Hawks.

In slow paced half court games, we will see who is more masterful in break down the defense and create easy opportunities for the team, CP3 or Luka.

CP3 is called Point God for a reason. Luka sometimes has those high assist, low TO games, but quite often he has 7/5, 9/6, etc.

2022 Regular season

CP3 - 10.8/2.4
Luka - 8.7/4.5

2022 Playoffs

CP3 - 11.3/1.5
Luka - 5.7/4.0

If Luka is still not in best shape after the injury and doesn't improve on this ast/TO ratio, Mavs don't stand a chance.

You don't simply compare ass/to like that when Luka also scores two times more points (28.4 vs. 14.7) and the absolute focus of other teams' defense.

CP3 actually ranks #19 at 15.6 TOV% and Luka # 22 @ 15.3 TOV%. The difference comes from their different usage.

You clearly talk about creating easy opportunities for others, not sure what scoring has to do with it.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,002

Post#202 » by CobraCommander » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:11 pm

sunsbg wrote:
dygaction wrote:There are two potential advantages to the Mavs or at least reduce the seeming gaps.

In the playoffs, Mavs are bad at rebounding due to lack of size (77.2DRB%; Jazz #1 @85.5TRB%), but Suns are the current the worst team surprisingly (65.0DRB%). Ayton's will have rebounding advantage inside but Mavs have just survived from Gobert.

Suns are one of the best fast break teams after forcing turnovers and CP3 takes good care of the ball (2nd lowest turnovers per game @ 11tpg), but Mavs is the slowest team with the lowest turnovers (8.7tpg). Mavs were also the 2nd lowest turnover team in the regular season behind Hawks.

In slow paced half court games, we will see who is more masterful in break down the defense and create easy opportunities for the team, CP3 or Luka.

CP3 is called Point God for a reason. Luka sometimes has those high assist, low TO games, but quite often he has 7/5, 9/6, etc.

2022 Regular season

CP3 - 10.8/2.4
Luka - 8.7/4.5

2022 Playoffs

CP3 - 11.3/1.5
Luka - 5.7/4.0

If Luka is still not in best shape after the injury and doesn't improve on this ast/TO ratio, Mavs don't stand a chance.

We all know Luka is high usage - high TO and low FG % player that somehow finds a way to win and winning is all that matters. Lukas stats don’t exactly match his impact. Dude just special- With Brunson being a year better and a proven winner- I don’t think Luka going into this series without confidence in his teammates. Dallas has a better chance than the Nets did lol
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,235

Post#203 » by dygaction » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:16 pm

sunsbg wrote:
dygaction wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

2022 Regular season

CP3 - 10.8/2.4
Luka - 8.7/4.5

2022 Playoffs

CP3 - 11.3/1.5
Luka - 5.7/4.0

You don't simply compare ass/to like that when Luka also scores two times more points (28.4 vs. 14.7) and the absolute focus of other teams' defense.

CP3 actually ranks #19 at 15.6 TOV% and Luka # 22 @ 15.3 TOV%. The difference comes from their different usage.

You clearly talk about creating easy opportunities for others, not sure what scoring has to do with it.

I LITERALLY talked about easy opportunities for the TEAM. Unless his score would not benefit the team...
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#204 » by dygaction » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:26 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

2022 Regular season

CP3 - 10.8/2.4
Luka - 8.7/4.5

2022 Playoffs

CP3 - 11.3/1.5
Luka - 5.7/4.0

We all know Luka is high usage - high TO and low FG % player that somehow finds a way to win and winning is all that matters. Lukas stats don’t exactly match his impact. Dude just special- With Brunson being a year better and a proven winner- I don’t think Luka going into this series without confidence in his teammates. Dallas has a better chance than the Nets did lol

No we don't... in his 16 playoff games, he is shooting 49.0/38.7/63.0; His 58.4TS% is right there with LeBron's 58.3%, Embiid 58.7%, Tatum 57.0%, and CP3's 58.5%, and that was dragged down by his poor free throw shooting, not low FG% at all.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,030

Post#205 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:44 pm

irfunk_ wrote:CP3 to Ayton connection is enough to overcome what makes Mavs special. I see this series 4-1 at max.
We will see.
While I do believe Phoenix wins the series if Luka is healthy he should lead his team to more than one win.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#206 » by CobraCommander » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:21 pm

dygaction wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

2022 Regular season

CP3 - 10.8/2.4
Luka - 8.7/4.5

2022 Playoffs

CP3 - 11.3/1.5
Luka - 5.7/4.0

No we don't... in his 16 playoff games, he is shooting 49.0/38.7/63.0; His 58.4TS% is right there with LeBron's 58.3%, Embiid 58.7%, Tatum 57.0%, and CP3's 58.5%, and that was dragged down by his poor free throw shooting, not low FG% at all.

I’m talking about regular season which is more indicative of his shooting overall.

I’m not gonna pretend that Luka has a real Luka magic switch that makes him an amazing shooter that doesn’t Turn the ball over at a high rate… but got dang it - if you are right the suns in trouble and my bet that the mavs get out the west is going to help me deal with the loses I took with Tsla and AMZN on Friday…
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#207 » by dygaction » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:46 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
dygaction wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

I’m talking about regular season which is more indicative of his shooting overall.

I’m not gonna pretend that Luka has a real Luka magic switch that makes him an amazing shooter that doesn’t Turn the ball over at a high rate… but got dang it - if you are right the suns in trouble and my bet that the mavs get out the west is going to help me deal with the loses I took with Tsla and AMZN on Friday…

You are talking about 1% of Luka magic switch though as you don't expect him to shoot 63ft% either. Even the regular season, his career .573TS% is right there with other peers, like Tatum .571 and Klay .573. Is there any reason to call Tatum or Klay low FG%? Luka's relatively low 3pt and ft are partially dragged up by his efficient mid-range and paint finish.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,192

Post#208 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 1, 2022 12:15 am

Big J wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
Big J wrote:
Yea, well I never claimed he'd average 35 either. I just think that he's going to eat Ayton alive in this series. We'll see how the Suns adjust.

that will also not happen. so let's see.

It's ok man, he does it to every big guy.

"Playing Ayton off the court"

I look forward to bumping this in about a week.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,447

Post#209 » by Big J » Sun May 1, 2022 1:04 am

Slim Charless wrote:
Big J wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
that will also not happen. so let's see.

Well Giannis didn't technically "play Ayton off the court", but yea it'll be like that.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,325

Post#210 » by MrGoat » Sun May 1, 2022 1:18 am

CobraCommander wrote:
dygaction wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

Luka has a tendency to turn it up in the playoffs. He'll get his if healthy. It's the other guys I'm worried about. Phoenix has the type of guys and the scheme the Clippers had to make Brunson disappear.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,340

Post#211 » by Bornstellar » Sun May 1, 2022 1:32 am

The team with Luka Doncic always has a chance. A very slim chance, but a chance nonetheless
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#212 » by CobraCommander » Sun May 1, 2022 1:32 am

MrGoat wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
dygaction wrote:

Luka has a tendency to turn it up in the playoffs. He'll get his if healthy. It's the other guys I'm worried about. Phoenix has the type of guys and the scheme the Clippers had to make Brunson disappear.

Brunson didn’t disappear- Rick didn’t play him. Odd that you didn’t read any of the press about the mavs and Brunson and Kidd. Brunson is a great player and this year he has been the best mavs player in playoff thus far… it’s Lukas team but he ain’t winning anything without a second player
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#213 » by CobraCommander » Sun May 1, 2022 1:47 am

dygaction wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
dygaction wrote:

You are talking about 1% of Luka magic switch though as you don't expect him to shoot 63ft% either. Even the regular season, his career .573TS% is right there with other peers, like Tatum .571 and Klay .573. Is there any reason to call Tatum or Klay low FG%? Luka's relatively low 3pt and ft are partially dragged up by his efficient mid-range and paint finish.

Let’s go!!!
pj0tr
Rookie
And1: 1,312

Post#214 » by pj0tr » Sun May 1, 2022 1:41 pm

Big J wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Big J wrote:

Well Giannis didn't technically "play Ayton off the court", but yea it'll be like that.

Ayton was arguably the biggest reason the Suns made the Finals last year in the postseason - everyone just seems to remember Giannis blowing up on him in Games 5 and 6, when Ayton had arguably his 2 wrost games in the playoffs.

"Play Ayton off the court" sounds awfully like what the Clippers fans said last year - they weren't able to play Ayton off the court. His mobility, touch, and size, combined with his overall offensive game are the reasons he excels against small teams.

Deandre Ayton is not Ruby Gobert - yet some fans seem to think he is lol
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,452

Post#215 » by Mavrelous » Sun May 1, 2022 1:52 pm

CobraCommander wrote:Brunson didn’t disappear- Rick didn’t play him. Odd that you didn’t read any of the press about the mavs and Brunson and Kidd. Brunson is a great player and this year he has been the best mavs player in playoff thus far… it’s Lukas team but he ain’t winning anything without a second player

Brunson is stronger than small guards and can use his shifty handles, relative quickness and incredible finishing ability under the rim against bigs, but long athletic wings are his kryptonite, that's why he didn't play against the Clippers who play 4 of those at any given minutes, he couldn't get a shot off or pass, Luka's absurd on/off numbers were because of that, Dinwiddie would've faired better against the Clippers, that's why I expect the Suns to put Bridges on him, and take him out of the game, Jazz limited athleticism and length are the main factor behind his amazing series.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,061

Post#216 » by sunsbg » Sun May 1, 2022 2:45 pm

dygaction wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
dygaction wrote:

I LITERALLY talked about easy opportunities for the TEAM. Unless his score would not benefit the team...

1. In basketball terms what you say(the scoring part) is self-creating, not creating for the team.

2. I can bet CP3 will score easier on Mavs D than Luka on Suns when defended by Bridges and Ayton though he won't take as many shots so obviously will not score as much. Mavs may have a good team D, but I don't see anyone on the roster who may bother CP3 that much. No pesky guard like that Alvarado guy on the Pels or Jones(DFS to some extend, but not that close).

3. Related to point 2 I guess if we do it for ast/TO ratio we should take into account the type of usage when comparing ppg. There are four players on the Suns, who taking same number of shots as Luka will have a close or better ppg number, though you can't say they are better self-creators as you can't say he's a better playmaker than CP3 when he's not close in assists and his TOs create offense for the other team.
Potential_64
Sophomore
And1: 171

Post#217 » by Potential_64 » Sun May 1, 2022 4:20 pm

Last year Luka choked hard in the playoffs. Seems like a sloppy overrated player. Prove me wrong Mavs
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,160

Post#218 » by spanishninja » Sun May 1, 2022 4:51 pm

Big J wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Big J wrote:

the Bucks are a MUCH more complete team that the Mavs. where is your Jrue and Middleton to D up the Suns backcourt? where is your dominant big to punish Ayton?

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#219 » by dygaction » Sun May 1, 2022 5:09 pm

sunsbg wrote:
dygaction wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

1. In basketball terms what you say(the scoring part) is self-creating, not creating for the team.

2. I can bet CP3 will score easier on Mavs D than Luka on Suns when defended by Bridges and Ayton though he won't take as many shots so obviously will not score as much. Mavs may have a good team D, but I don't see anyone on the roster who may bother CP3 that much. No pesky guard like that Alvarado guy on the Pels or Jones(DFS to some extend, but not that close).

3. Related to point 2 I guess if we do it for ast/TO ratio we should take into account the type of usage when comparing ppg. There are four players on the Suns, who taking same number of shots as Luka will have a close or better ppg number, though you can't say they are better self-creators as you can't say he's a better playmaker than CP3 when he's not close in assists and his TOs create offense for the other team.

1. The purpose on offense is to score, how can we ignore self-creating basket?
2. Would you call it easier if Luka scores 50% more points at similar efficiency? Most likely Mavs will be using Bullock on CP3 and DFS on Booker. Ntilikina is the pesty guard you talked about and may get a lot more time on CP3 as well.
3. If # of shots could be linearly increased without sacrificing efficiency, Kerr should have been the GOAT.

At the end, the only thing matters is which team wins 4 games. I think Mavs have what are needed to win the series, but will I be surprised or really upset if they lose? No. Suns are the league best team and favorite to win the title for many reasons.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,192

Post#220 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 1, 2022 5:33 pm

spanishninja wrote:
Big J wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

the Bucks are a MUCH more complete team that the Mavs. where is your Jrue and Middleton to D up the Suns backcourt? where is your dominant big to punish Ayton?

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

Don't bother.

The "J" in Big J stands for "joke"

Return to The General Board