Kevon Looney

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#81 » by Warriorfan » Sun May 15, 2022 6:14 pm

DoctorX wrote:
Wagonband wrote:I mean some of these arguments...

"How can he be solid but still below average"?

Well, easily.

"But he starts on the Warriors that are in the Conference Finals so he is really good".

Well, no, not really. I mean it's by far their weakest starter, that why he isn't a permanent starter. Is Dwight Powell really a top center because he starts in one of the last 8 remaining teams? No, he starts because there is nobody else to do so.

Looney isn't terrible, but you guys are getting caught up in the moment. He only does well with the Warriors because they have lethal players from the outside. Put him in a team with bad spacing and he will be unplayable. He can't shoot, he can't score on his own at all. His defense is good, but i wonder how much it has to do with the other GSW players being good defenders.

Again, i'm not hating, but him being the "most underrated" player in the NBA is really far off.

Agreed. This is the most rational post I have read in the whole entire thread. Just because you are a starter on an elite team doesn't mean you are a legit starter on any other team. You can be a subpar player and be a starter on a championship team due to that team lacking at one position which puts you in the starting lineup. That talent can be ridiculously high on a title team that they can overcome having a subpar starter at one position like the 3 peat Lakers were able to do when the they started Devean George at SF in '02 and having AC Green start at PF in '00.

Simple answer Looney fits someone has to rebound, set screens and switch on D.
Soca
Veteran
And1: 841

Post#82 » by Soca » Sun May 15, 2022 6:25 pm

Looney somewhat reminds me of a guy like Kurt Thomas.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,829

Post#83 » by Karate Diop » Sun May 15, 2022 6:56 pm

He's a good role player... In a bigger role on a not as good team he'd flounder. He's just in the right place at the right time... Which coincidentally is what his game is really about.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,718

Post#84 » by TinmanZBoy » Sun May 15, 2022 7:37 pm

I’d disagree Looney would be bad in another team… the things he does on the court should be valuable for any team. He is underpaid for sure
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#85 » by FNQ » Sun May 15, 2022 7:46 pm

If a player needs X Y and Z counting stats to be starting caliber... that's fantasy basketball stuff. It's a pretty poor way of evaluating players
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#86 » by SF_Warriors » Sun May 15, 2022 9:44 pm

He fills a big need for the warriors and at the same time it is true his skillset is not particularly sought after by a lot of teams. That will only benefit the warriors.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,794

Post#87 » by michaelm » Sun May 15, 2022 11:31 pm

Warriorfan wrote:
DoctorX wrote:
Wagonband wrote:I mean some of these arguments...

"How can he be solid but still below average"?

Well, easily.

"But he starts on the Warriors that are in the Conference Finals so he is really good".

Well, no, not really. I mean it's by far their weakest starter, that why he isn't a permanent starter. Is Dwight Powell really a top center because he starts in one of the last 8 remaining teams? No, he starts because there is nobody else to do so.

Looney isn't terrible, but you guys are getting caught up in the moment. He only does well with the Warriors because they have lethal players from the outside. Put him in a team with bad spacing and he will be unplayable. He can't shoot, he can't score on his own at all. His defense is good, but i wonder how much it has to do with the other GSW players being good defenders.

Again, i'm not hating, but him being the "most underrated" player in the NBA is really far off.

Agreed. This is the most rational post I have read in the whole entire thread. Just because you are a starter on an elite team doesn't mean you are a legit starter on any other team. You can be a subpar player and be a starter on a championship team due to that team lacking at one position which puts you in the starting lineup. That talent can be ridiculously high on a title team that they can overcome having a subpar starter at one position like the 3 peat Lakers were able to do when the they started Devean George at SF in '02 and having AC Green start at PF in '00.

Simple answer Looney fits someone has to rebound, set screens and switch on D.

People continue to demonstrate that they don’t understand that basketball is a team sport. I guess it isn’t surprising since their numbers include LeBron James.
HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Post#88 » by HabsAndDubs » Sun May 15, 2022 11:45 pm

He’s an excellent starter for the warriors because he makes very few mistakes and when he plays extended minutes he can be a significant defensive factor. It’s just that his offense is among the worst in the league. It works on the warriors because of who he plays with, but it would be a tougher fit on a team that needs more offensive production from their big.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,489

Post#89 » by dhsilv2 » Sun May 15, 2022 11:48 pm

Wagonband wrote:He is still a below average NBA player... Solid big, but can't do anything on his own, not a great defender or rim protector, can't shoot, can't do anything on his own on offence.

A nice piece, but hardly the most underrated player. Put him on a lottery team and see him being called a scrub after 5 games.

I don't think you know what an AVERAGE nba player is. The average player - keep in mind about 450 player play each year....doesn't even see the floor when healthy more than 10-13 minutes.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,489

Post#90 » by dhsilv2 » Sun May 15, 2022 11:53 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Stromile12 wrote:His production is deceiving based on how he moves around the court

Hip surgeries his first two years made him seem old before his time. More health issues in the following years added to the effect. Now, he's the oldest 26 yr old in history.

Yeah, I thought he was going to be a legit high impact non star before all that. You know that kinda top 60 but not top 30 level guy. But could have top 15 impact in the right role. He isn't that but he's till a solid player. He obviously has serious work ethic and a hell of a head on him. Most guys would have just given up after all that.
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,170

Post#91 » by moderndarwin » Sat May 21, 2022 3:43 am

Loons! Loons! Loons!
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,322

Post#92 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat May 21, 2022 5:00 am

Soca wrote:Looney somewhat reminds me of a guy like Kurt Thomas.

Kurt Thomas became a knock down midrange guy as his career progressed. We will see if Looney ever branches out some more. They both have a nose for the ball that’s for sure.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,950

Post#93 » by DonaldSanders » Sat May 21, 2022 5:38 am

Looney is Dominant. 1st team all NBA

:wink:

:wordyo:
Arlo
Junior
And1: 193

Post#94 » by Arlo » Sat May 21, 2022 9:40 am

Put backs, power dunks, follow ups, and a few finesse finishes.

He was a **** stud today.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,597

Post#95 » by Asianiac_24 » Sat May 21, 2022 10:07 am

I prefer Looney over someone like Clint Capela, and Capela is a very solid starter. You can play a lot of centers off the floor, but not Looney
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 927

Post#96 » by dk1115 » Sat May 21, 2022 10:53 am

For what it's worth, Looney actually does run like he's 7'.

Dude's gonna get his 3/20 this summer, maybe more.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,630

Post#97 » by KembaWalker » Sat May 21, 2022 10:56 am

I think Warriors fans actually believe a full time Poole/GP2/Wiggins/Kuminga/Looney team could win a title or something. The exaggeration of talent level is ridiculous on this site
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,794

Post#98 » by michaelm » Sat May 21, 2022 11:59 am

KembaWalker wrote:I think Warriors fans actually believe a full time Poole/GP2/Wiggins/Kuminga/Looney team could win a title or something. The exaggeration of talent level is ridiculous on this site

Yes, GSW fans think Curry is over-rated.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#99 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sat May 21, 2022 12:43 pm

The Warriors have good genes. They have Curry, Thompson, Payton, Wilt, and Robert Parish on the same team.
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,170

Post#100 » by moderndarwin » Sat May 21, 2022 12:49 pm

KembaWalker wrote:I think Warriors fans actually believe a full time Poole/GP2/Wiggins/Kuminga/Looney team could win a title or something. The exaggeration of talent level is ridiculous on this site

Or maybe some people just recognize that the best version of a basketball team is when players become better because of the team aspect. Sum being greater than the parts. In a vacuum Loons is just another NBA player. For the Warriors, he is the glue that plays error free basketball. For a volatile high turnover team having someone like him is so important. He sets screens, grabs boards, can switch onto any perimeter player, creates extra shots for steph with his unselfishness, and is a willing and able passer. He’s the perfect complement to the starters….especially when one of them is as emotionally volatile as Dray

Return to The General Board