Kevon Looney

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#61 » by xdrta+ » Sun May 15, 2022 4:36 am

DoctorX wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
DoctorX wrote: I have never seen anything special out of him that convinced me he is legit starter.

Since starting on a top team doesn't do it for you, I'm curious about just what your criteria is for a "legit" starting center?

A guy who averages 6 and 7 is not a legit starter in my eyes. Also the argument "He is starting on championship team" is not valid.

There are guys who could end up a starter on a title team but wouldn't start on others due to lucky circumstances. For example I never viewed Devean George a legit starter on the Lakers '02 title team but they got away with it since Kobe and Shaq were too great that it didn't matter. To me he was always a backup and proved that to me in the years that followed. The same could be said of Oberto for the Spurs during their '07 title run. He was the starting center on the '07 team despite averaging 4 points and 4 rebounds but the spurs were thin at center and had no one else that could play the spot since they lost both Nazr and Rasho through trades and FA. He played great in the playoffs but then fell off the next year

So you've said why he's not a legit starter, but you haven't said what your criteria are for a legit starter. Obviously more than 6pts, 7reb, but how much more. You found a couple of examples from 15 and 20 years ago that you don't consider legit, but where is the bar? Does a legit center have to score
10ppg...or 15 with 12 or 14 reb or more? Does defense enter into it? Passing? Screening? Not sure you're being objective, just looking at pts and reb in a vacuum.
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,510

Post#62 » by DoctorX » Sun May 15, 2022 4:44 am

xdrta+ wrote:
DoctorX wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Since starting on a top team doesn't do it for you, I'm curious about just what your criteria is for a "legit" starting center?

A guy who averages 6 and 7 is not a legit starter in my eyes. Also the argument "He is starting on championship team" is not valid.

There are guys who could end up a starter on a title team but wouldn't start on others due to lucky circumstances. For example I never viewed Devean George a legit starter on the Lakers '02 title team but they got away with it since Kobe and Shaq were too great that it didn't matter. To me he was always a backup and proved that to me in the years that followed. The same could be said of Oberto for the Spurs during their '07 title run. He was the starting center on the '07 team despite averaging 4 points and 4 rebounds but the spurs were thin at center and had no one else that could play the spot since they lost both Nazr and Rasho through trades and FA. He played great in the playoffs but then fell off the next year

So you've said why he's not a legit starter, but you haven't said what your criteria are for a legit starter. Obviously more than 6pts, 7reb, but how much more. You found a couple of examples from 15 and 20 years ago that you don't consider legit, but where is the bar? Does a legit center have to score
10ppg...or 15 with 12 or 14 reb or more? Does defense enter into it? Passing? Screening? Not sure you're being objective, just looking at pts and reb in a vacuum.

My minimum bar is a center that can average 10-8 and 1 block. If he ever manages to do that I will view him as a legit starting center.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,788

Post#63 » by floppymoose » Sun May 15, 2022 5:24 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:but I don’t know who the most underrated is because I am underating that guy.

Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,191

Post#64 » by Wagonband » Sun May 15, 2022 7:01 am

I mean some of these arguments...

"How can he be solid but still below average"?

Well, easily.

"But he starts on the Warriors that are in the Conference Finals so he is really good".

Well, no, not really. I mean it's by far their weakest starter, that why he isn't a permanent starter. Is Dwight Powell really a top center because he starts in one of the last 8 remaining teams? No, he starts because there is nobody else to do so.

Looney isn't terrible, but you guys are getting caught up in the moment. He only does well with the Warriors because they have lethal players from the outside. Put him in a team with bad spacing and he will be unplayable. He can't shoot, he can't score on his own at all. His defense is good, but i wonder how much it has to do with the other GSW players being good defenders.

Again, i'm not hating, but him being the "most underrated" player in the NBA is really far off.
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,510

Post#65 » by DoctorX » Sun May 15, 2022 7:17 am

Wagonband wrote:I mean some of these arguments...

Well, easily.

"But he starts on the Warriors that are in the Conference Finals so he is really good".

Well, no, not really. I mean it's by far their weakest starter, that why he isn't a permanent starter. Is Dwight Powell really a top center because he starts in one of the last 8 remaining teams? No, he starts because there is nobody else to do so.

Looney isn't terrible, but you guys are getting caught up in the moment. He only does well with the Warriors because they have lethal players from the outside. Put him in a team with bad spacing and he will be unplayable. He can't shoot, he can't score on his own at all. His defense is good, but i wonder how much it has to do with the other GSW players being good defenders.

Again, i'm not hating, but him being the "most underrated" player in the NBA is really far off.

Agreed. This is the most rational post I have read in the whole entire thread. Just because you are a starter on an elite team doesn't mean you are a legit starter on any other team. You can be a subpar player and be a starter on a championship team due to that team lacking at one position which puts you in the starting lineup. That talent can be ridiculously high on a title team that they can overcome having a subpar starter at one position like the 3 peat Lakers were able to do when the they started Devean George at SF in '02 and having AC Green start at PF in '00.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 925

Post#66 » by dk1115 » Sun May 15, 2022 7:26 am

I honestly didn't even notice that he has been officially listed as a center for his whole career until a week ago. It's fair to say that he's limited, but he plays his role really well. Very solid defender and rebounder. He can go a whole game without taking a shot, no problem. After Bogut has been gone, arguably the best screen setter on the Warriors, and that's with so many players setting screens for each other.
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,923

Post#67 » by Ice Trae » Sun May 15, 2022 7:27 am

Impressive rebounder for a guy with a 1 inch vert
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#68 » by michaelm » Sun May 15, 2022 8:43 am

DoctorX wrote:
Wagonband wrote:I mean some of these arguments...

Well, easily.

Agreed. This is the most rational post I have read in the whole entire thread. Just because you are a starter on an elite team doesn't mean you are a legit starter on any other team. You can be a subpar player and be a starter on a championship team due to that team lacking at one position which puts you in the starting lineup. That talent can be ridiculously high on a title team that they can overcome having a subpar starter at one position like the 3 peat Lakers were able to do when the they started Devean George at SF in '02 and having AC Green start at PF in '00.

Perhaps so, but he plays their system perfectly and they are stronger with him as the last game demonstrated. Imo he is not easily replaceable, and many players you might consider to be superior centers would be less valuable for GSW than he is.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,063

Post#69 » by MrBigShot » Sun May 15, 2022 8:50 am

He's not a major contributor or anything but he what he is asked to do (rebound) he does do well at least, 14 rebounds per 36 in the playoffs. And getting mins in the playoffs on a contender is something to be proud of.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
astrocomical
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#70 » by astrocomical » Sun May 15, 2022 2:43 pm

DoctorX wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
DoctorX wrote: I have never seen anything special out of him that convinced me he is legit starter.

And yet, if somehow Looney ends up in San Antonio, Greg Popovich would immediately pencil him in as his starting 5. Because just like Kerr, Coach Pop knows what Looney brings to the table.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,500

Post#71 » by DaPessimist » Sun May 15, 2022 3:42 pm

Our best lineup is with Looney. I honestly get annoyed with all the 'death lineup' talk because we are clearly inferior when we go small.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#72 » by xdrta+ » Sun May 15, 2022 3:53 pm

DoctorX wrote:This is the most rational post I have read in the whole entire thread.

Amazing that a post that agrees with me is the "most rational" post in the entire thread. Who would have guessed? :lol:
runtmc
Freshman
And1: 160

Post#73 » by runtmc » Sun May 15, 2022 4:52 pm

DoctorX wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
DoctorX wrote:

My minimum bar is a center that can average 10-8 and 1 block. If he ever manages to do that I will view him as a legit starting center.

Well, by this logic, how do you explain that GS is in the WCF with two guys in their starting lineup that don't average 10/8? In fact, average quite a bit less than that? The only explanation must be that Curry is much better than people are giving him credit for, since he's carrying two absolute scrubs in the starting lineup, no?
longtallbrad
Junior
And1: 257

Post#74 » by longtallbrad » Sun May 15, 2022 4:56 pm

I don't know if he is the league's most underrated player, but I do know that I had underrated and underappreciated him until this postseason. The Warriors would be better off by a more classic center of equal motor and similar ego, but he's proven himself a great fit with the team as constituted and a useful part of their best lineup...a true blue collar glue guy. He's not a highly skilled, high impact role player (see: Draymond Green), but I imagine there are a few contending or aspiring teams who'd be glad to find a spot for him in a rotation of 7-8 players.
runtmc
Freshman

Post#75 » by runtmc » Sun May 15, 2022 5:07 pm

longtallbrad wrote:I don't know if he is the league's most underrated player, but I do know that I had underrated and underappreciated him until this postseason. The Warriors would be better off by a more classic center of equal motor and similar ego, but he's proven himself a great fit with the team as constituted and a useful part of their best lineup...a true blue collar glue guy. He's not a highly skilled, high impact role player (see: Draymond Green), but I imagine there are a few contending or aspiring teams who'd be glad to find a spot for him in a rotation of 7-8 players.

I don't think they would be better off with a "classic" center. People forget the original "death" lineup that outscored opponents by 20+ points per 100 poss., the year GS won 73 games -- it was Curry, Klay, Dray, Iggy and Bogut. Bogut averaged 5ppg and 7rpg that season, Iggy was putting up 7 and 4, and Dray was actually at the peak of his scoring output, he was putting up a whopping 14 and 9.

That means the "Death" lineup of arguably the greatest RS team in nba history had 2 dudes that by traditional box stats were complete scrubs and another guy that barely qualified as a "legit starter". The point is, when you already have high usage players like Curry/Klay in the lineup, you don't make the lineup better by adding more high usage players -- there's only so many shots to go around. You make the lineup better by adding guys that play defense (which, notice that Bogut/Dray/Iggy is like one of the best defensive lineups of all time -- might be related to why they were so good, no?), pass well, and do all the little things. Imagine calling Iggy or Bogut on that 73 win season not "legit starters" or scrubs because they only averaged like 5/7 or 7/4, you'd be laughed off the board. That's what Looney is to this team, he's the new version of Bogut / Iggy.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#76 » by michaelm » Sun May 15, 2022 5:14 pm

runtmc wrote:
longtallbrad wrote:I don't know if he is the league's most underrated player, but I do know that I had underrated and underappreciated him until this postseason. The Warriors would be better off by a more classic center of equal motor and similar ego, but he's proven himself a great fit with the team as constituted and a useful part of their best lineup...a true blue collar glue guy. He's not a highly skilled, high impact role player (see: Draymond Green), but I imagine there are a few contending or aspiring teams who'd be glad to find a spot for him in a rotation of 7-8 players.

I don't think they would be better off with a "classic" center. People forget the original "death" lineup that outscored opponents by 20+ points per 100 poss., the year GS won 73 games -- it was Curry, Klay, Dray, Iggy and Bogut. Bogut averaged 5ppg and 7rpg that season, Iggy was putting up 7 and 4, and Dray was actually at the peak of his scoring output, he was putting up a whopping 14 and 9.

That means the "Death" lineup of arguably the greatest RS team in nba history had 2 dudes that by traditional box stats were complete scrubs and another guy that barely qualified as a "legit starter". The point is, when you already have high usage players like Curry/Klay in the lineup, you don't make the lineup better by adding more high usage players -- there's only so many shots to go around. You make the lineup better by adding guys that play defense (which, notice that Bogut/Dray/Iggy is like one of the best defensive lineups of all time -- might be related to why they were so good, no?), pass well, and do all the little things. Imagine calling Iggy or Bogut on that 73 win season not "legit starters" or scrubs because they only averaged like 5/7 or 7/4, you'd be laughed off the board. That's what Looney is to this team, he's the new version of Bogut / Iggy.

They actually ran Barnes rather than Bogut in that original death line up, a fairly pedestrian SF imo but a quite good small ball PF especially defensively, with Green at center, so 4 strong guys 6’6 or more 2 of whom were also quite long.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#77 » by michaelm » Sun May 15, 2022 5:14 pm

double
TrueFan420
Senior
And1: 431

Post#78 » by TrueFan420 » Sun May 15, 2022 5:24 pm

DoctorX wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
DoctorX wrote:

You do know he only plays 20 minutes a night on average. His per 36 is 10 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal and 1 block.

Per 36 isn’t an exact science but if you’re using averages and not taking into account his minutes that’s a flawed approach.

Looney is a good player. Every team should and could use him in their 8 man rotation.
runtmc
Freshman

Post#79 » by runtmc » Sun May 15, 2022 5:28 pm

michaelm wrote:
runtmc wrote:

They actually ran Barnes rather than Bogut in that original death line up, a fairly pedestrian SF imo but a quite good small ball PF especially defensively, with Green at center, so 4 strong guys 6’6 or more 2 of whom were also quite long.

Yeah, you're completely correct, I'm not sure how I could misremember that -- Barnes was part of that lineup, not Bogut, and Iggy took Bogut's spot, not Barnes -- the point was to go small. As soon as I read your reply I felt like an idiot for forgetting that -- woops. Also apparently they outscored opponents by 47 points per 100 possessions, I thought I remembered it being ~25ish. Getting too old, I guess.

Regardless, the general point I was trying to make still stands, as instead of Bogut at 5/7 they had Barnes at 11/5 -- who, while not *quite* the same mold as Dray/Bogut/Iggy etc., was still obviously sacrificing his own scoring and trying to contribute in other ways because that's what the team needed -- he jumped 8ppg as soon as he switched teams the next year.
PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Post#80 » by PizzaSteve » Sun May 15, 2022 5:51 pm

runtmc wrote:

Good post.

Ive followed Looney closely since we drafted him, as I liked his character. IMHO , and from practices I've heard about, I think he can actually shoot pretty well, and is pretty effective. The VERY few threes he's taken have actually looked pretty good, and I wouldnt be shocked if he was as good from 3 as say Boogie is. What he doesnt do though, is shoot in games unless it is an end of clock desperate shot or a dunk, which I think gives a worse impression of his shot, because he is coached to not take open shots. So the sample is full of the occasional rare rushed mid range jumper. This is because he has Klay, Steph, Wiggs, Poole to pass to and prefers to do that instead of using his size to try to finish. I like it when he is feeling frisky and tries, because with more aggression he isnt as bad as when he tries a pump fake under the hoop and cant elevate, which does look poor on occasion.

What I agree with, in terms of weaknesses, is that he doesnt finish at the rim all that well against opposing bigs, and that his handles under pressure arent great. Good passer when he does so quickly, and decent handles when he uses his body and length to create space for the ball. His first step can be slow and he is not very deceptive, though he moves well laterally on defense, in particular for his size. His mental undertanding of GS schemes and his role is strong. He is not the 'guy' on almost any plays unless rolling on a Curry P&R, so scoring will be mostly dunks and putbacks, which tend to be rare given our numerous 3s, so he has learned to tip balls to Curry Wiggins and Green, who have great handles, which tends to inflate their RBs at his stat expense.

Anyway, nice to see a thread discussing him, for good or bad. He deserves notice and it pleases me.

Return to The General Board