Is Luka Doncic reaching best player in the world territory?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Is Luka Doncic the best player in the world?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes: 213

CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Re: Is Luka Doncic reaching best player in the world territory? 

Post#121 » by CobraCommander » Tue May 17, 2022 12:20 pm

Hobo4President wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:No- he is still in the sub peak harden range. He just came in 5th in mvp voting and didn’t get a single first place vote. Jokic and Giannis and Embiid are still
Much better than him.

Nothing Luka has done hasn’t been done before at a higher level recently. Giannis and Jokic are in a space that we haven’t seen before.

In the regular season sure, but Luka is a superior playoff performer

Based solely on recency bias yes. But who cares - at this point the Luka foolishness is going to make a lot of people hate him based strictly on the hyperbole. A guy has 35 points in a game after Tatum has 46 in a better game and Luka now better than Jordan. Im
Not even sure anyone can be objective about Luka. Mavs fans got a player… the rest of the people have found god. I’m gonna see my self out
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#122 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Tue May 17, 2022 12:43 pm

Dirk did the thing and he got the personal treasure too.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#123 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Tue May 17, 2022 12:44 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
Hobo4President wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:No- he is still in the sub peak harden range. He just came in 5th in mvp voting and didn’t get a single first place vote. Jokic and Giannis and Embiid are still
Much better than him.

Nothing Luka has done hasn’t been done before at a higher level recently. Giannis and Jokic are in a space that we haven’t seen before.

Based solely on recency bias yes. But who cares - at this point the Luka foolishness is going to make a lot of people hate him based strictly on the hyperbole. A guy has 35 points in a game after Tatum has 46 in a better game and Luka now better than Jordan. Im
Not even sure anyone can be objective about Luka. Mavs fans got a player… the rest of the people have found god. I’m gonna see my self out

You taking Tatum over Luka?
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#124 » by CobraCommander » Tue May 17, 2022 4:03 pm

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
Hobo4President wrote:

You taking Tatum over Luka?

Nope....but tatums best playoff game was better than Lukas...this year...that happened.

It came against a better player and a better team....and that happened.

and Tatum beat two better teams than the Suns and Utah....that happened.

Tatum was amazing defensively against KD...that happened.

But Luka is good too...people forgetting Luka had 35 while Dinwiddie was getting 30 on that same bad team...so did Luka do something never done before in the game ? no....Dinwiddie was actually doing it at the same damn time. But Luka? I get Luka balling but context matters and it feels like every Luka conversation has turned into hyperbole in either direction-

the numbers say sub prime harden and I have watched the playoffs. The numbers say Luka can’t shoot as well as harden but again I have watched the playoffs.

I’m gonna sit back and just watch what happens but Luka skipping over great players right to the top with jordan when Lebron, Curry, KD, Kawhi have all done more recently doesn’t make sense to me. People seem to have an agenda with this guy...

Not talking about mavs fans...the mavs fans have been great! I actually would say some of the best posters on REALGM are mavs fans that are objective about Lukas work ethic and defense and shooting...but they love the mavs and they LOVE Luka. But where were y’all when Luka was putting up the same stat line this year that he did last year including TOs...? Now he is the best to ever do it?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#125 » by Curmudgeon » Tue May 17, 2022 6:18 pm

He would already be the best player in the world if he were a better defender.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
liquidswords
Pro Prospect
And1: 929

Post#126 » by liquidswords » Tue May 17, 2022 6:22 pm

Pains me to say it but ....yes he is. He's really elevated his team's play although the argument can be made that his style of play is better suited for a team of role players vs playing with another star. Even DAL pushes the Warriors to 6-7 games, Luka is now in the conversation
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#127 » by brannigan73 » Tue May 17, 2022 6:23 pm

The simple answer is yes. Only thing stopping him is he needs to get a little better shooting the 3. Can we stop pretending it wasnt a big mistake for Atlanta to pass him up in favor of Trae Young?

Return to The General Board