Is this real? Does Luka really have a legit chance to win the title this year?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Rodwilliams
Bench Warmer
And1: 962

Is this real? Does Luka really have a legit chance to win the title this year? 

Post#1 » by Rodwilliams » Mon May 16, 2022 1:21 am

Mavs really about to beat the Suns and go to the Conference Finals. This is Unbelievable bro. Luka actually has a legit chance to win a title this year. He’s been the best player in this year playoffs.
Harry Garris wrote: Curry can turn non playoff teams into title contenders.

Not if the team doesn’t have elite defenders[/quote]
What a pointless statement.Every Finals team had elite role players[/quote]
Rodwilliams wrote:Duh!Thats what I just said. Eat your own words
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,726

Re: Is this real? Does Luka really have a legit chance to win the title this year? 

Post#2 » by Slax » Mon May 16, 2022 1:31 am

I mean they PROBABLY get beat by the Warriors but I'm not prepared to say they can't win it all, especially seeing what's going on tonight
shotsquatch
Sixth Man
And1: 3,530

Re: Is this real? Does Luka really have a legit chance to win the title this year? 

Post#3 » by shotsquatch » Mon May 16, 2022 1:32 am

Any team with the best player in the world has a legit chance to win it all. So yes.
Ursusamericanus
Veteran
And1: 2,594

Post#4 » by Ursusamericanus » Mon May 16, 2022 1:36 am

I think he's a lot like young LeBron; a top-3 guy in the league but still needs a bit more help to win a title IMO. I doubt they get past the Dubs, but there's a chance. If they do that, though, I think the buck stops with Boston or Miami (likely the former).

All that said - I strongly predict he wins a title within the next 3-4 years.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#5 » by WarriorGM » Mon May 16, 2022 1:36 am

Why would you think they not have a legit chance?

I always thought the Mavericks were being underestimated and a more worrisome opponent for the Warriors because of Doncic. If the Mavericks make it through like it almost seems certain they will then we will have a very important historical matchup. It should be one we as basketball fans and historians should be awaiting eagerly.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#6 » by Archx » Mon May 16, 2022 1:37 am

I don't think so. All Mavs did was double Booker and Suns collapsed. I'm not sure other teams are that weak.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,134

Post#7 » by Hellcrooner » Mon May 16, 2022 1:37 am

No.
it would be by fare the WORST roster ever to win it all.
Its already a miracle that he has taken them this far.

If he won he would have done what neither mikan, russell, wilt, magic, bird, jordan, shaq, duncan, kobe, lebron EVER did.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#8 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon May 16, 2022 1:37 am

Can we see them beat the Warriors at least 3 times before we talk about chance at winning a title this year? Right now it still feels a lot like the Hawks making the ecf last year except I have more faith in Luka than I had in Trae to pull games out.
multo
Rookie
And1: 447

Post#9 » by multo » Mon May 16, 2022 1:37 am

Any of the four remaining teams have a chance. Warriors may be favorites but look what happened to the Suns.
Yuri36
Sixth Man
And1: 1,441

Post#10 » by Yuri36 » Mon May 16, 2022 1:37 am

Definitely now
Suns to me were their biggest hurdle by far especially because of the Ayton factor.
Not saying they're overwhelming favourites against Warriors/Heat/Celtics but I would definitely be confident in Mavs chance to beat them now
They've really been on a roll since the All Star break and fair play to Jason Kidd who is doing an amazing job
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,556

Post#11 » by Harry Garris » Mon May 16, 2022 1:39 am

They have a chance yes but out of the 4 remaining teams they're the least likely to win the title.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#12 » by Joao Saraiva » Mon May 16, 2022 1:39 am

I gotta say I'm surprised. Luka is doing GOAT stuff. That 1st half... it was like LeBron in Boston for G6. Completely took their soul!

Still if they can win it all... that remains to be seen. But Dallas has impressed the hell out of me. I think role players grew a lot and Jason Kidd might have a lot to do with that, but also Luka no starting the playoffs... they defeated my Jazz without Luka and that gave them a ton of confidence.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
picko
Starter
And1: 3,420

Post#13 » by picko » Mon May 16, 2022 1:39 am

Over the last 48 games of the regular season they had a 36-12 record, which is roughly the equivalent of a 62 win season. So the Mavericks are legit.

I have no idea whether they'll win a title but Doncic is the best player remaining in the playoffs and Dallas have been as impressive as anyone throughout the playoffs.
Yuri36
Sixth Man
And1: 1,441

Post#14 » by Yuri36 » Mon May 16, 2022 1:40 am

WarriorGM wrote:Why would you think they not have a legit chance?

I always thought the Mavericks were being underestimated and a more worrisome opponent for the Warriors because of Doncic. If the Mavericks make it through like it almost seems certain they will then we will have a very important historical matchup. It should be one we as basketball fans and historians should be awaiting eagerly.

Yep Steph vs Luka would be an incredible match up.
Pure basketball genius going head to head
fteru6uhre54ew
Rookie
And1: 645

Post#15 » by fteru6uhre54ew » Mon May 16, 2022 1:42 am

He almost won last year versus Kawhi and team probably more tough to win with a worst team. Destroying everyone too. You just can't adjust on this guy he is a missmatch for the adjust of the teams and how he control this game is just special since a kid.
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#16 » by FreeThrowLine » Mon May 16, 2022 1:43 am

Nope, they’re losing 4-1 to the Warriors
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,833

Post#17 » by nikster » Mon May 16, 2022 1:45 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:Can we see them beat the Warriors at least 3 times before we talk about chance at winning a title this year? Right now it still feels a lot like the Hawks making the ecf last year except I have more faith in Luka than I had in Trae to pull games out.

Anything can happen but this Phoenix team is way better than those 76ers
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,937

Post#18 » by Anticon » Mon May 16, 2022 1:46 am

Warriors defence has had some suspect moments. So we'll see.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#19 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon May 16, 2022 1:47 am

nikster wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:Can we see them beat the Warriors at least 3 times before we talk about chance at winning a title this year? Right now it still feels a lot like the Hawks making the ecf last year except I have more faith in Luka than I had in Trae to pull games out.

Anything can happen but this Phoenix team is way better than those 76ers

Sorry bud, can't agree with you there. CP3 is out there looking like he's 47 the last 4 games and the Suns are about to lose by a combined 70 pts the last two games. They aren't anything special.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,783

Post#20 » by Johnny Fontane » Mon May 16, 2022 1:50 am

No way they get past the Warriors but it definitely will have been a great learning experience

Return to The General Board