Is this real? Does Luka really have a legit chance to win the title this year?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Free Rider
Veteran
And1: 1,567

Re: Is this real? Does Luka really have a legit chance to win the title this year? 

Post#81 » by Free Rider » Mon May 16, 2022 3:29 am

He absolutely does. I think the Celtics are best team left in the playoffs but none of these teams are so dominant to be unbeatable. I’m letting my recency bias kick in for the moment and pick the Mavs in 7 but ultimately I think they fall to the Celtics in the Finals
Yuri36
Sixth Man
And1: 1,441

Re: Is this real? Does Luka really have a legit chance to win the title this year? 

Post#82 » by Yuri36 » Mon May 16, 2022 3:31 am

Free Rider wrote:He absolutely does. I think the Celtics are best team left in the playoffs but none of these teams are so dominant to be unbeatable. I’m letting my recency bias kick in for the moment and pick the Mavs in 7 but ultimately I think they fall to the Celtics in the Finals

Miami are more dangerous than Celtics to me, especially with PO mode Butler.
poultryfan
Senior
And1: 875

Post#83 » by poultryfan » Mon May 16, 2022 3:31 am

michaelm wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I'd be curious what the betting line is for the Mavs... I'd be willing to place a bet on them if the money is right. I don't think they will win it really.... buuuutttt... there's enough of a shot that I would put money on it as a darkhorse.

According to DraftKings as of 11:19 PM EST (now):

Warriors +120
Celtics +210
Heat +425
Mavs +650

Ridiculous.

Mavs are probably like 30 - 35% to win the series against the Warriors, and would be slight underdogs against the Celtics or the Heat if they advanced to the finals (somewhere between 40 - 45%) so +650 = 13.3% breakeven seems fairly reasonable.
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#84 » by Dundalis » Mon May 16, 2022 3:32 am

Warriors2022 wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:Warriors have zero chance to win the series. Mavs have by far the best playoff performer and Steph can’t afford to have those lackluster games against Luka. Be prepared for a bunch of “Steph Curry exposed” threads in the next 2 weeks. Mavs in 6

Lets see how Luka can avoid Draymonds nut cracking kick. Even if he can avoid that, theres Pooles Iron Claw to yank Luka away. :lol:

He dealt with it from Pat Bev over two playoff series against the Clippers.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,404

Post#85 » by Raps in 4 » Mon May 16, 2022 3:38 am

I don't think so. I don't see him getting past complete teams like the Warriors, Heat, or Celtics. Not because of his limitations, but because those teams are just better than his.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#86 » by Warriorfan » Mon May 16, 2022 3:39 am

Dundalis wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:Luka has been the better player over Curry but the 5 next best players are Warriors.

This exact same thing was said about the Suns going into the Mavs series.

Warriors are not the sun's with championship experience. Trio of Curry, Thompson and Green have never lost a series where all three played every game.
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,605

Post#87 » by NBA4Lyfe » Mon May 16, 2022 3:42 am

Refs and the league won’t let him beat the warriors. Dallas fans will see what rigged officiating is when they play the warriors next round. Memphis got a taste of it in game 6. Looney threw down adams but when Dillon brooks barely touched curry( curry flopped) that was enough to warrant a flagrant. Memphis was up 51-44 when that flagrant was called.

Bottom line is Dallas can do whatever and even if they are the better team the nba and Adam silver will still put steph and the warriors in the finals
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#88 » by WarriorGM » Mon May 16, 2022 3:42 am

Dundalis wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:Luka has been the better player over Curry but the 5 next best players are Warriors.

The problem for the Mavs is that unlike the comparison with the Suns I wouldn't confidently assume Luka is the better player between him and Curry.
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran

Post#89 » by NBA4Lyfe » Mon May 16, 2022 3:44 am

WarriorGM wrote:
Dundalis wrote:

The problem for the Mavs is that unlike the comparison with the Suns I wouldn't confidently assume Luka is the better player between him and Curry.

Haha Luka is miles better than curry

Luka is like James harden(with heart) meets Larry bird
Yuri36
Sixth Man

Post#90 » by Yuri36 » Mon May 16, 2022 3:49 am

NBA4Lyfe wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
Dundalis wrote:This exact same thing was said about the Suns going into the Mavs series.

Have more respect for the best shooter of all time and a guy who basically changed the way entire league used to play.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#91 » by michaelm » Mon May 16, 2022 3:50 am

poultryfan wrote:
michaelm wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
According to DraftKings as of 11:19 PM EST (now):

Warriors +120
Celtics +210
Heat +425
Mavs +650

Ridiculous.

Mavs are probably like 30 - 35% to win the series against the Warriors, and would be slight underdogs against the Celtics or the Heat if they advanced to the finals (somewhere between 40 - 45%) so +650 = 13.3% breakeven seems fairly reasonable.

The odds for GSW are what seemed most awry to me, although they do have HCA for whatever series may remain for them. I guess they have a large fanbase which may influence the weight of money bet with bookmakers.

After that performance against the Suns it is hard to see those odds being realistic for the Mavs either imo though. I was despondent about the blow out GSW loss to the Grizzlies but in retrospect they may have tanked that game once they were behind given they had the chance to close out the series on their home court. There were no tomorrows for the Suns in this game though.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#92 » by WarriorGM » Mon May 16, 2022 3:53 am

The good thing for the Mavs is that their supporting players are probably better than commonly realized.

That would be especially true vs. Warriors if OPJ and GPII are out as it looks like they will be.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,864

Post#93 » by 510TWSS » Mon May 16, 2022 3:53 am

Dupp wrote:Draymond bout the get real dirty with luka.

Whispering sweet nothings into his ear
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran

Post#94 » by NBA4Lyfe » Mon May 16, 2022 3:53 am

Yuri36 wrote:
NBA4Lyfe wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Have more respect for the best shooter of all time and a guy who basically changed the way entire league used to play.

in case you didnt realize it, moreyball is the offensive system what teams like the celtics and mavs are using to advance in the playoffs. Not the warriors motion offense
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,504

Post#95 » by HardenGoat » Mon May 16, 2022 4:01 am

The difference is Brunson and Dinwiddie became legit bucket getters. Not just shooters. Took a big load off Lukas shoulders and let him relax and get in a zone himself. Plus the team started clicking as a result and played hard on defense. If they carry it over they can be trouble.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#96 » by Warriorfan » Mon May 16, 2022 4:03 am

NBA4Lyfe wrote:
Yuri36 wrote:
NBA4Lyfe wrote:

in case you didnt realize it, moreyball is the offensive system what teams like the celtics and mavs are using to advance in the playoffs. Not the warriors motion offense

Feel free to list the Moreyball championships.
Yuri36
Sixth Man

Post#97 » by Yuri36 » Mon May 16, 2022 4:05 am

Serious question, if by any luck Luka wins the ring this year, is he already the euro GOAT for you?
I know Dirk would still have the longevity factor for him but seriously, winning a title with that Mavs roster would be right up there with some of the best feats achieved in NBA history.
Warriors2022
Freshman
And1: 65

Post#98 » by Warriors2022 » Mon May 16, 2022 4:07 am

NBA4Lyfe wrote:Refs and the league won’t let him beat the warriors. Dallas fans will see what rigged officiating is when they play the warriors next round. Memphis got a taste of it in game 6. Looney threw down adams but when Dillon brooks barely touched curry( curry flopped) that was enough to warrant a flagrant. Memphis was up 51-44 when that flagrant was called.

Bottom line is Dallas can do whatever and even if they are the better team the nba and Adam silver will still put steph and the warriors in the finals

Lol, this is what a sore loser is. Your team is beat, get over it. I didnt see a single Grizz fans complaining about game 1 when the refs literally handed you guys the game. Dillon Brooks is a dirty player, that was a shove and good for the league to look out for him.
Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,505

Post#99 » by Joerezz7 » Mon May 16, 2022 4:10 am

Raps in 4 wrote:I don't think so. I don't see him getting past complete teams like the Warriors, Heat, or Celtics. Not because of his limitations, but because those teams are just better than his.

You think the Suns aren’t a complete team?
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

There is nothing inherently different about winning in the Finals compared to winning other playoff seriess,
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#100 » by bon » Mon May 16, 2022 4:11 am

I've said it before but I really like Dallas this season. The fact that they've become a legit defensive team while adding another ball handler in their lineup is huge. I'm confident they beat the Warriors but I'm not sure how the Mavs would do in the Finals. I think they could beat Miami but have my doubts for them vs Boston.

Return to The General Board