Historical comparisons for what we just witnessed in Phoenix?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Re: Historical comparisons for what we just witnessed in Phoenix? 

Post#21 » by mowcrowbar » Mon May 16, 2022 9:06 am

Joe Johnson's Hawks.
makubesu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,781

Post#22 » by makubesu » Mon May 16, 2022 9:07 am

Eric Millegan wrote:
muzzhawk wrote:2004 Finals.
Pistons completely embarrassed the Lakers.
Whether in hindsight the Pistons should have been underdogs is now probably debatable but at the time the Lakers were heavily favoured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't remember Lakers being heavily favored unless you were a Lakers fan. The Pistons were the better team on paper and on the court.

https://www.sportsoddshistory.com/nba-champs/

Pistons were +500 so that’s actually a big underdog by historic standards
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,079
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#23 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon May 16, 2022 9:13 am

makubesu wrote:
Eric Millegan wrote:
Whether in hindsight the Pistons should have been underdogs is now probably debatable but at the time the Lakers were heavily favoured.

I don't remember Lakers being heavily favored unless you were a Lakers fan. The Pistons were the better team on paper and on the court.

https://www.sportsoddshistory.com/nba-champs/

Pistons were +500 so that’s actually a big underdog by historic standards

It's actually the biggest underdog in that entire history, by more than double of the Raptors Vs GS at +230
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#24 » by PharmD » Mon May 16, 2022 9:28 am

The 15-1 packers got absolutely destroyed by the Giants at home and would have been shut out if not for some incorrect calls that now-a-days would have been overturned on replay
Rich Michmond
Sixth Man
And1: 2,971
Location: российско-немецкий кондоминиум под еврейским доверительным управлением

Post#25 » by Rich Michmond » Mon May 16, 2022 9:32 am

I'd say the 1981 Suns. They won 57 games (1st seed in the West) and lost to the 40-42 Kansas City Kings whose 25 ppg scorer played only 2 games in that 7 game series and had to use Ernie Grunfeld of all people as their playmaker because they were losing players left and right in the playoffs. The Suns actually tied the series after trailing 3-1, only to lose the decisive game 7 at home. It was a massive upset as the Suns had three All-Stars that year and the best defense in the league (Alvan Adams seems underrated). Moreover, they were constantly good during the late 70s and early 80s. Also, that year the WCF featured two 40-42 with Moses' Rockets breaking through. In the meantime, there were three teams in the East that won at least 60 games.
Gordon Haywood, Dwayne Wade, JJ Reddick, Derek Rose, Derrick Fisher, Lenny Wilkins, Kirk Heinrich, Oscar Robinson, DeMar DeRozen, Andre Iguadola, Pascal Siakim, Malcolm Brogdan
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,407

Post#26 » by Raps in 4 » Mon May 16, 2022 9:33 am

The Derozan-era Raptors getting smoked by Lebron.
djw
Junior
And1: 605

Post#27 » by djw » Mon May 16, 2022 9:51 am

antonac wrote:
makubesu wrote:Another cross sport comparison I’m seeing is Brazil losing 7-1 to Germany. I remember watching that beat down in a hotel lobby with a crowd and everyone was laughing their butts off.

I remember before that match most people were making predictions, I think I actually had predicted a Germany win, but at something like 2-1, something normal. When Brazil came out all these with banners about missing Neymar I remember saying "I change my prediction to 4-0 to Germany.". They were so obviously caught with their heads in entirely the wrong place.

We were doing office bets on the WC at work. I was losing and since 2-1 was the reasonable bet which with I wouldn't have covered any ground I decided to go all in or nothing and typed 7-1 in the form. I remember Özil having a clear paths to the Brazilian goal while the score was 7-0. He missed and I cheered. The crowd at the bar in Germany looked at me confused. Then Brazil scored and I was the only one to care again. :D
So this bet made me finish the betting game second to last instead of dead last. And one of the biggest German newspaper went on to interview me (which can still be found online :D)
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#28 » by Homer38 » Mon May 16, 2022 10:40 am

Tampa bay in the nhl in 2019 Being swept in the first round after a historic regular season vs a team who had never won a playoff series at this point
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

Post#29 » by xinxin » Mon May 16, 2022 11:49 am

styLesdavis wrote:As a MFFL game 4 against the Lakers in 2011 came to my mind.
LA were the champs back then and the Mavericks came out guns blazing and Terry und Peja knocked
down every shot. At the end of the first half i was just thinking "What the hell is happening"?

Got the same feelings a few hours ago.

That lakers team was running on fumes. Barely got by New Orleans in the previous round, wasn’t expecting a sweep by the Mavs though but that Lakers team was really vulnerable.

They had just come from 3 straight NBA Finals appearances, & not much change in the roster.. yup, ripe for an upset

Mjan
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#30 » by Mjan » Mon May 16, 2022 12:32 pm

makubesu wrote:Another cross sport comparison I’m seeing is Brazil losing 7-1 to Germany. I remember watching that beat down in a hotel lobby with a crowd and everyone was laughing their butts off.

I see your point but Brazil were not the favorites that day, having lost Neymar in the previous round. I remember the odds quite well as I had bet heavy on Germany :D .
They scared now
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#31 » by -Luke- » Mon May 16, 2022 2:28 pm

styLesdavis wrote:As a MFFL game 4 against the Lakers in 2011 came to my mind.
LA were the champs back then and the Mavericks came out guns blazing and Terry und Peja knocked
down every shot. At the end of the first half i was just thinking "What the hell is happening"?

Got the same feelings a few hours ago.

At least no Suns player almost murdered a Mavs player yesterday (Bynum/Barea).
damanick10
Starter
And1: 3,014

Post#32 » by damanick10 » Mon May 16, 2022 2:31 pm

Broncos - Seahawks superbowl in 2014. It was supposed to be the game of the decade with an unstoppable offense against the great defense with HOFers all over the field including Peyton during his amazing MVP year. This turned into the Seahawks absolutely destroying the Broncos 43-8 including a pick 6 from Manning.
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#33 » by -Luke- » Mon May 16, 2022 2:31 pm

I remember going to the bathroom quickly and the score went from 2:0 to 4:0 in what felt like 30 seconds.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#34 » by queridiculo » Mon May 16, 2022 2:38 pm

jirrit wrote:

Yeah, it was in a same humiliating fashion. I think Brazil was playing the tournament at home also.

I mean this was a game 7 and I thought the Bucks got crushed but this was even on a whole other level wow.

Germany was far from an underdog, they were at 11-2 odds to win the whole thing just after Brazil at 10-3 and Argentina at 9-2.

Realistically the Brazil team got those lofty odds primarily due to their home court advantage, but purely from a sporting aspect they were never deserving of being favored so highly.
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#35 » by Chronz » Mon May 16, 2022 2:47 pm

Sidthekid87 wrote:2 years ago in the bubble. Nuggets vs Clippers, that was one of the most humiliating choke jobs in NBA history. Up 3-1 in the series and up 16+ points in 5 and 6 and 12 in game 7 and they blew it. It was 1 of the funniest days in Twitter history.

Humiliating how?
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#36 » by Chronz » Mon May 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Eric Millegan wrote:

Of course they were but back then all people needed to know was the lakers are back in the finals and the east was considered a joke.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,507

Post#37 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 16, 2022 2:52 pm

Eric Millegan wrote:

I'm not much on reading odds but looks like lakers -700 or pistons +500

https://www.sportsoddshistory.com/nba-playoffs-series/?y=2004&o=s

edit and I see someone beat me to this.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#38 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 16, 2022 2:55 pm

rand wrote:We Believe Warriors are what immediately comes to my mind. Shredded a 67 win Mavs team led by Dirk in his MVP season. The #1 seeded Mavs coming off a Finals loss were among the preseason title favorites, the #8 Warriors had been picked for the lottery.

But just 15 short years later Dallas is back for revenge. :lol:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#39 » by bearadonisdna » Mon May 16, 2022 2:59 pm

Something like Hiroshima come to mind as a historical comparison.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#40 » by bearadonisdna » Mon May 16, 2022 3:08 pm

Also kinda like a Bruce lee film where 1 guy beats everyone like Luka’s scoring in the 2st half.

Return to The General Board