When will the Luka vs Jordan comparisons start happening?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Re: When will the Luka vs Jordan comparisons start happening? 

Post#121 » by scrabbarista » Thu May 19, 2022 8:47 pm

dygaction wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:Luka's five MVP's behind, six Finals MVP's behind, one DPoY behind, nine All-Defense First Teams behind, ten scoring titles behind, six championships behind...

Jordan's ahead 37-0 in those categories.

Almost there! :nonono:

Time is on Luka's side. Still two years of cushion but a big curve to climb. Would I be disappointed if Luka does not end up with a better career? a little bit but that's ok, lol.

Doncic after 24 games at age 23: 32.1p/9.3r/8.1a/11W-13L/2 Playoff series win;
Jordan after 24 games at age 25: 36.4p/6.4r/6.3a/7W-17L/1 Playoff series win;

Jordan scored more, Luka rebounded, assisted, and won more.

To give you an idea of how short-sighted your comparison is, through 24 games at age 22, Magic Johnson averaged about 19/10/10 (more rebs and assists than Doncic) and had an 18-6 record and won 4 playoff series: Younger, more assists and rebounds, more wins, and more series wins. All of the same things that are true in the Doncic/MJ comparison are true in the other direction in the Doncic/Magic comparison. And 99% of people agree that Jordan was a better player than Magic. It's just way too simplistic of a formula, not to mention the small sample for the parts of their career that aren't even in their primes, i.e., not the most important or relevant parts. It's a forced comparison and it reflects badly on Doncic's fans to bring it up like it's a serious conversation. Wait another three seasons and come back with this topic. It'll probably be just as silly then, but at least there will be a bit more of a sample.
MindState
Veteran
And1: 3,467

Post#122 » by MindState » Thu May 19, 2022 8:58 pm

Quattro wrote:When he wins 6 titles and starts playing lock down defense.

The amount of titles you need to win in order to be considered the GOAT goes down for every generation. Luka could probably win 2 and there will be a large section of fans that consider him the GOAT.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#123 » by Da ThRONe » Thu May 19, 2022 9:04 pm

Luka Doncic comparison is James Harden. The LeBron James and Michael Jordan comparison are ridiculous. As great as Luka is he's no where in their class.
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,197

Post#124 » by rate_ » Thu May 19, 2022 9:11 pm

If anyone is playing like MJ/LeBron right now, it’s Jimmy Butler this playoffs:

11 G | 30/8/5/2 | 13.8 BPM | 33.1 PER | .355 WS/48 | +6.7 rTS
bballfan1three3
Senior
And1: 761

Post#125 » by bballfan1three3 » Thu May 19, 2022 9:24 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
dygaction wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:Luka's five MVP's behind, six Finals MVP's behind, one DPoY behind, nine All-Defense First Teams behind, ten scoring titles behind, six championships behind...

Time is on Luka's side. Still two years of cushion but a big curve to climb. Would I be disappointed if Luka does not end up with a better career? a little bit but that's ok, lol.

I'll save you the suspense: you're going to be a little disappointed.

Just enjoy the ride. Comparison is the thief of joy.

Man said if Luka isn't better than MICHAEL JORDAN at basketball he's going to be a little disappointed... Life must be constantly disappointing

Random person gave me a PS5 for free? Oops nope sorry not covered in gold and rubies disappointing

Won the lottery? Only won it once, others have won it multiple times, disappointing do better
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,908

Post#126 » by DonaldSanders » Thu May 19, 2022 9:47 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:I'll just say it's kind of odd that Luka apparently needs to win a championship to be considered to Jordan, but I'm not sure that was a bar Jordan had to clear before being anointed the greatest basketball player and even the greatest player ever.

Another thing you can say is that you can't compare Luka to Jordan, because he hasn't found his Scottie Pippen/Dennis Rodman/Horace Grant sidekicks yet.

I'm assuming you must be under 35. Jordan was not remotely considered the GOAT or even SNIFFING this conversation before he won a chip. Heck, he wasn't sniffing it after his 1st chip. I can't remember exactly when the GOAT conversation started but it wasn't serious until his 1st 3 peat and it wasn't even close to being thought of as a universal fact. After his SECOND 3 peat it was something everyone just agreed on because we all had two eyes and witnessed his greatness. It really took the 2nd peat to solidify it.
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,510

Post#127 » by DoctorX » Thu May 19, 2022 9:59 pm

Lol for a second I thought this thread was about Luka vs Jordan Poole.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,148

Post#128 » by dygaction » Thu May 19, 2022 11:35 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
dygaction wrote:

To give you an idea of how short-sighted your comparison is, through 24 games at age 22, Magic Johnson averaged about 19/10/10 (more rebs and assists than Doncic) and had an 18-6 record and won 4 playoff series: Younger, more assists and rebounds, more wins, and more series wins. All of the same things that are true in the Doncic/MJ comparison are true in the other direction in the Doncic/Magic comparison. And 99% of people agree that Jordan was a better player than Magic. It's just way too simplistic of a formula, not to mention the small sample for the parts of their career that aren't even in their primes, i.e., not the most important or relevant parts. It's a forced comparison and it reflects badly on Doncic's fans to bring it up like it's a serious conversation. Wait another three seasons and come back with this topic. It'll probably be just as silly then, but at least there will be a bit more of a sample.

You yourself just proved how short-sighted you are. It is ok Magic fell on the lap of Kareem. Do you want to make a case Magic was better than Luka at 24? I would say you can make a case.

Magic Johnson averaged about 19/10/10 in his 24 games; Jordan averaged 36.4/6.4/6.3. Were people comparing them at the time when Jordan just started 4 years? Yes. Was that silly? No. When you see greatness, it is important you can recognize it.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#129 » by scrabbarista » Thu May 19, 2022 11:52 pm

DoctorX wrote:Lol for a second I thought this thread was about Luka vs Jordan Poole.

Well, Poole did have a better game in their first matchup this series...
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,908

Post#130 » by DonaldSanders » Fri May 20, 2022 12:07 am

scrabbarista wrote:
DoctorX wrote:Lol for a second I thought this thread was about Luka vs Jordan Poole.

Exactly. Clearly Poole is underrated and Doncic has been exposed. Anytime you have more turnovers than FGs in a playoff game it's time to retire.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#131 » by dlts20 » Fri May 20, 2022 2:57 am

Man people forget how great MJ was
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,165

Post#132 » by CodeBreaker » Fri May 20, 2022 3:00 am

Not until he has beaten LeBron's numbers and accolades
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#133 » by dygaction » Fri May 20, 2022 3:09 am

CodeBreaker wrote:Not until he has beaten LeBron's numbers and accolades

LeBron was better than Jordan, though. He is old now but you need to compare him with Wizard Jordan
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#134 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri May 20, 2022 3:10 am

Luka needs to win a championship and LeBron needs to retire before Luka vs Jordan becomes a thing.

Is Luka going to have crazed fans like LeBron fans that make every thread about Luka the way LeBron fans make every thread about LeBron? I was hoping that it would ease up after LeBron retired. I am hoping that no one star dominates the NBA. I like watching Ja Morant. Can HA Morant compete with Luka for hype?
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#135 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:11 am

If he wins his first ring by 26 or or starts getting mvp every year. Preferably both.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#136 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri May 20, 2022 3:16 am

dlts20 wrote:Man people forget how great MJ was

They weren’t born yet. They grew up on LeBron.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#137 » by dygaction » Fri May 20, 2022 3:21 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Luka needs to win a championship and LeBron needs to retire before Luka vs Jordan becomes a thing.

Is Luka going to have crazed fans like LeBron fans that make every thread about Luka the way LeBron fans make every thread about LeBron? I was hoping that it would ease up after LeBron retired. I am hoping that no one star dominates the NBA. I like watching Ja Morant. Can HA Morant compete with Luka for hype?

Ja already hypped higher than Luka. Luka only here on forums not on media. He had zero media vote for all star a few months ago. You can check all those espn booker vs. Luka, trae vs. luka, Ja vs. luka, tatum vs. luka, it was always a debate with arguments fro both sides
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#138 » by bubonicphoniks » Fri May 20, 2022 5:07 am

scrabbarista wrote:

Well Michal Jordon retied so....
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,165

Post#139 » by CodeBreaker » Fri May 20, 2022 5:35 am

dygaction wrote:

LeBron was better than Jordan, though. He is old now but you need to compare him with Wizard Jordan

I don't agree that LeBron was better than Jordan.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#140 » by dygaction » Fri May 20, 2022 5:40 am

CodeBreaker wrote:
dygaction wrote:

I don't agree that LeBron was better than Jordan.

I agree you don't agree. It is not consensus either way.

Return to The General Board