Wiggins vs Doncic, what does Wiggins have to do to get some All Defensive team consideration

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Wiggins vs Doncic, what does Wiggins have to do to get some All Defensive team consideration 

Post#1 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue May 17, 2022 9:02 pm

Wiggins has been a good defender for the Warriors.
Wiggins has failed at being the 2nd coming of LeBron.

Wiggins reputation for his body of work in Minnesota was bad. Nobody plays defense for bad Minnesota teams so why should Wiggins be the exception?

Doncic forces switches so no one guy can defend Doncic but I expect that Wiggins will be the primary defender of Doncic.

The spotlight will be on Wiggins defense. Iguodala got a finals MVP for slowing down LeBron in 2015.

What does Wiggins need to hold Doncic to to put Wiggins into the All-defensive team discussion for next year?
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Re: Wiggins vs Doncic, what does Wiggins have to do to get some All Defensive team consideration 

Post#2 » by WarriorGM » Tue May 17, 2022 9:07 pm

From your example it seems Wiggins should be aiming for Finals MVP.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Re: Wiggins vs Doncic, what does Wiggins have to do to get some All Defensive team consideration 

Post#3 » by Apz » Tue May 17, 2022 9:07 pm

As u say, luka will switch to who he wants so this is kinda pointless. Before the suns series it were "Bridges will lock down luka", well, he barely got to guard him but the times he did he got slaughtered. So what is the primary defender in this case? They cant pick him up full court since half the times atleast dinwiddie or brunson brings the ball up the court.

I guess success is to not foul a lot?
liquidswords
Pro Prospect
And1: 929

Post#4 » by liquidswords » Tue May 17, 2022 9:10 pm

With Luka, you aren't going to stop him from putting numbers up because of his usage BUT if Wiggins can limit him to like 40/30 (2pt/3pt) then that'll be a huge accomplishment. That goes for the Warriors in general.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#5 » by Apz » Tue May 17, 2022 9:17 pm

liquidswords wrote:With Luka, you aren't going to stop him from putting numbers up because of his usage BUT if Wiggins can limit him to like 40/30 (2pt/3pt) then that'll be a huge accomplishment. That goes for the Warriors in general.

Thing is, no player affects that. Its just if he got a bad or a good shooting night.
runtmc
Freshman
And1: 160

Post#6 » by runtmc » Wed May 18, 2022 10:06 am

What's he need to do to get All Defensive team consideration?

How about play All-Defensive level defense for a season?

His career defensive BPM is wildly negative, although for the first time in his career he had a +0.1 for the season, and his DRTG was also slightly above average for the first time in his career with a 109 this season (league average is about 110-111, lower is better).

Just as a comparison, Draymond had a +4.6 DBPM and a 103 DRTG. Those are the kind of guys he's competing against for All-Defensive team selections. Im not hating on Wiggins, I actually love the improvement he showed this year, but he's far from playing All-Defensive level defense. Far.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,190

Post#7 » by brutalitops » Wed May 18, 2022 11:19 am

Probably play defence. He's currently the second best defender on the warriors, Because Klay cant guard anyone right now, And Payton Jr has a broken elbow

The fact you even muttered Wiggins and all defence is a **** joke. The fact all defence in finals doesnt count for next year either means Nothing, He could hold luka to 0/38 and force 15 turnovers a game and it wont matter or do anything for his consideration for All Defense

Wiggins would have to Be locking Luka Doncic to 0/12902134 In the 18433th OT quarter which has now spilled out to the 2022/23 Fixture for him to get ANY consideration for All defence.

Thats your answer OP

Wiggins would have to Be locking Luka Doncic to 0/12902134 and 2 turnovers (lets be real if we' are in the 18,000th OT quarter he's probably dishing out times to Jalen Brunson, Who not only has taken CP's Soul, but overtaken him in all time career points
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#8 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed May 18, 2022 11:21 am

WarriorGM wrote:From your example it seems Wiggins should be aiming for Finals MVP.

if wiggins can do the same thing iggy did to lebron you know what i will give him fmvp over luka. too bad this isnt the finals.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
evilution
Senior
And1: 712

Post#9 » by evilution » Wed May 18, 2022 11:57 am

Wiggins already has an All-Star title, let's stop putting him everywhere he does not belong. What's next, campaigning for Wiggins to get MVP?
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#10 » by bearadonisdna » Wed May 18, 2022 12:03 pm

Wiggins rep was a notoriously lazy or weak defender , this should not be a narrative.

It’s like saying shaq improved what does he got to do to make the ‘all free throw team’? It’s an insult to FT shooters .

Here is the answer be elite at it. Not a circumstantial occurance or feat.

If Wiggins wants be all defensive team become elite at defense . Don’t vulture over a particular matchup to shortcut your way there sounds underhanded and somewhat lack of integrity.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,381

Post#11 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed May 18, 2022 12:09 pm

Luka is gonna torch him
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,244

Post#12 » by Godymas » Wed May 18, 2022 12:12 pm

i would laugh my ass off if the Warriors win and Steph is denied a finals MVP to...Andrew Wiggins

it might be the most hilarious curse in the history of the NBA, to be the greatest shooter and one of the all time winners of the sport as the team's star and never get a FMVP.
Branduil
Rookie
And1: 342

Post#13 » by Branduil » Wed May 18, 2022 12:18 pm

No one is gonna look like an All-Defensive team player trying to guard playoff Luka, he made Mikal Bridges look like Bojan Bogdanovich.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#14 » by Bob8 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:23 pm

Branduil wrote:No one is gonna look like an All-Defensive team player trying to guard playoff Luka, he made Mikal Bridges look like Bojan Bogdanovich.

Bojan did much better job on Luka than Bridges. Unfortunately he was totally spent and couldn't do much in offense. Bridges was total disappointment in D and offense.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#15 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed May 18, 2022 12:30 pm

Godymas wrote:i would laugh my ass off if the Warriors win and Steph is denied a finals MVP to...Andrew Wiggins

it might be the most hilarious curse in the history of the NBA, to be the greatest shooter and one of the all time winners of the sport as the team's star and never get a FMVP.

not sure why its funny when steph lost to iggy who most fans claim he is a role player. steph is literally the greatest shooter not the player meaning he has little impact on his team. even lebron series no one cares abt steph going for 30 its all abt neutralizing lebron.
i will predict steph will never win any fmvp until he retires although they wont get to finals.if gs does win a title, it will be bc of wiggins and poole scoring 30. steph i have lower expectations than green and klay he would have to do some serious statpadding in 30pt blowout finals games to claim his case.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Branduil
Rookie
And1: 342

Post#16 » by Branduil » Wed May 18, 2022 12:33 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Branduil wrote:No one is gonna look like an All-Defensive team player trying to guard playoff Luka, he made Mikal Bridges look like Bojan Bogdanovich.

Bojan did much better job on Luka than Bridges. Unfortunately he was totally spent and couldn't do much in offense. Bridges was total disappointment in D and offense.

I'd probably attribute that more to Luka working his way back from injury than Bojan actually playing better D.
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,004

Post#17 » by Trey24 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:46 pm

Be primary defender on him 80% of time and hold him under 35% shooting for the series.

And then go out and play that kind of defense all next season lol because awards don't carry over (although if one did it would be defense since it seems reputation is considered heavily when voting).
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#18 » by Bob8 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:47 pm

Branduil wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I'd probably attribute that more to Luka working his way back from injury than Bojan actually playing better D.

Bojan actually tried, he was pressing him full court.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,967

Post#19 » by Archx » Wed May 18, 2022 12:49 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Luka is gonna torch him

Not sure if you're trying to jinx him or you really mean it. Feels weird this coming from you :o
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,381

Post#20 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed May 18, 2022 12:57 pm

Archx wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Luka is gonna torch him

Not sure if you're trying to jinx him or you really mean it. Feels weird this coming from you :o

I never denied how good he was on offense. My concerns with him was always his defense
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it

Return to The General Board