Wiggins vs Doncic, what does Wiggins have to do to get some All Defensive team consideration

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Re: Wiggins vs Doncic, what does Wiggins have to do to get some All Defensive team consideration 

Post#81 » by Coxy » Thu May 19, 2022 3:25 am

Wiggins - 1
Doncic - 0
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,334

Re: Wiggins vs Doncic, what does Wiggins have to do to get some All Defensive team consideration 

Post#82 » by SpreeS » Thu May 19, 2022 3:37 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:
vagelis wrote:I was told that because Mikal Bridges could not guard Doncic, Wiggins would not be able to do it.
The difference is athleticism.
Doncic may have better games than this one but he cannot win Wiggins 1vs1.
Put some respect to Wiggins he is the best wing defender in the league.
And we all know how capable he is in offense

its 1 game and doncic is injured lol. respect? look at his defensive metrics before you post.
mikal bridges and wiggins are not same tier defender.

Injured and stat padding in blow out? Or injured only on defensive end?
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#83 » by leolozon » Thu May 19, 2022 3:42 am

SpreeS wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:
vagelis wrote:I was told that because Mikal Bridges could not guard Doncic, Wiggins would not be able to do it.
The difference is athleticism.
Doncic may have better games than this one but he cannot win Wiggins 1vs1.
Put some respect to Wiggins he is the best wing defender in the league.
And we all know how capable he is in offense

its 1 game and doncic is injured lol. respect? look at his defensive metrics before you post.

Stat padding? How is going 0/3 stat padding? And how can it be indicative that his problem is only on defense?

The bias is strong with this one....
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,334

Post#84 » by SpreeS » Thu May 19, 2022 4:17 am

leolozon wrote:
SpreeS wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:

Stat padding? How is going 0/3 stat padding? And how can be indicative that his problem is only on defense?

These days kid’s..,,
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#85 » by SF_Warriors » Thu May 19, 2022 6:32 am

Luka gonna come back with a vengeance. Its only been one game.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#86 » by TheLand13 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:40 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Wiggins has been a good defender for the Warriors.
Wiggins has failed at being the 2nd coming of LeBron.

Wiggins reputation for his body of work in Minnesota was bad. Nobody plays defense for bad Minnesota teams so why should Wiggins be the exception?

Doncic forces switches so no one guy can defend Doncic but I expect that Wiggins will be the primary defender of Doncic.

The spotlight will be on Wiggins defense. Iguodala got a finals MVP for slowing down LeBron in 2015.

What does Wiggins need to hold Doncic to to put Wiggins into the All-defensive team discussion for next year?

Slowing down LeBron isn’t what got Iggy finals MVP. It was a combination of factors. Iguodola going to the starting unit created an unsolvable matchup problem for the cavaliers due to the roster being thin. He put up pretty decent point production for the warriors and even hit a lot of big shots for them in the close out game. He provided valuable leadership on the floor that the warriors (most of whom were new to the finals and were clearly struggling to play under that kind of pressure). And, yes, doing a good enough job on LeBron and preventing him from having one of the greatest finals series and carry jobs of all time (which he ended up doing the following season, go figure).
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#87 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu May 19, 2022 7:06 am

Wiggs gets credit, but kerr had a good game plan that was well executed. Now its up to luka and kidd to adjust.
jimbutton4
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#88 » by jimbutton4 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:16 am

Luca didn't do anything with Wiggs on him. I'm not saying he won't adjust, but AW definately outplayed him today. +28 vs -30
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,564

Post#89 » by Baz » Thu May 19, 2022 8:30 am

Doncic won't play this badly all series long and the supporting cast will start to make shots. But man this Warriors team is tough. As a fan I have to keep reminding myself that a blowout makes no difference. It's 1-0 if you lose by 1 or 50. Mentally, Kidd has to find a way to make this game spur his team on rather than demoralise them, otherwise Golden State are going to cruise their way to another finals.

o/t Wiggins was immense yes. I hope Doncic can find a way to lessen his impact/get comfortable & give him a bit of Luka Magic come Game 2.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#90 » by Statlanta » Thu May 19, 2022 11:21 am

It wasn't just Wiggins; it was the scheme, the communication and help from Looney; a switchable big man.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,819

Post#91 » by nikster » Thu May 19, 2022 11:43 am

SpreeS wrote:
leolozon wrote:
SpreeS wrote:

Stat padding? How is going 0/3 stat padding? And how can be indicative that his problem is only on defense?

These days kid’s..,,

Doncic scored 18 of his 20 points in the first half, when was he stat padding? And you blame "kids these days"

Definition of Old Man Yells at Cloud
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#92 » by leolozon » Thu May 19, 2022 1:09 pm

SpreeS wrote:
leolozon wrote:
SpreeS wrote:

These days kid’s..,,

If you have no argument, no need to reply. Not quite sure how what I wrote is showing young age. Your comment is nonsensical.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#93 » by soxfan2003 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:50 pm

Game 2 will show more but if Wiggins defends Doncic this well, Mavs may be better off trying something unconventional if they have the personnel. Use Doncic much more as a decoy and just have him far from the basket with Wiggins on him and try to play 4 on 4 vs the remaining defenders. Curry and Klay probably a little easier to expose defensively in a 4 on 4 game than in 5 on 5.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#94 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu May 19, 2022 8:21 pm

If games 2 through 4 are repeats of game 1 how much credit should Wiggins get?

People hate changing ther minds. If 3 little girls are best friends and then 2 of them get into a fight they will rush to be first to tell their side of the story to the 3rd girl because the first version of the story has a huge advantage over the 2nd version of the story told. If the government is doing false flag terrorism it will rush to get it’s version of the story out first before inconvenient facts are heard because the first story is believed.

We have our Wiggins story in our head. Can we change our minds?
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#95 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu May 19, 2022 8:37 pm

I made the thread because I thought Wiggins was close to all defensive team and I knew that Wiggins as all defensive team clashed with our Image if Minnesota Wiggins.

Doncic provides a measuring stick for Wiggins defense. Mikal Bridges provides a calibration to the measuring stick. Mikal Bridges got 2nd place in the defensive player of the year vote. How does Wiggins compare to Mikal Bridges?
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,788

Post#96 » by floppymoose » Thu May 19, 2022 8:41 pm

Haven't read through this thread, but as a GS fan I think Wiggins has a better case for all-defensive team than he did for all-star.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#97 » by FNQ » Thu May 19, 2022 8:45 pm

jimbutton4 wrote:Luca didn't do anything with Wiggs on him. I'm not saying he won't adjust, but AW definately outplayed him today. +28 vs -30

Not entirely

Wiggins had 48 turns on Luka
27 times he was screened (I didnt grab the # of how many times they resulted in a switch)
12 pts on 4/9 shooting (1/3 from 2; 3/6 from 3; 1-1 FT on an and-1)
1 assist
4 quality assist opportunities (plays that Luka made that resulted in a play that created a good look for a teammate)
4 kick out passes after a drive didnt produce results
9 cycle passes where Luka didnt try and drive/create, and opted to keep the ball moving
4 forced TOs

That's much, much better than most on Luka, and thats a lot better than Bridges did last series. It is only 1 game, but its weird, like this didnt come from nowhere. People have been telling others about this for a while. So what that tells me, when someone says 'hes kinda improved' or 'its just one game' is that they had a pretty finite opinion of Wiggins without watching anything recently, and this was their first in-depth exposure to the player he's become here. Yes, its a system fit, but thats true of almost all defenders regarding their off-ball defense. In terms of on-ball defense, I again re-iterate, WIggins was the #1 ranked SF in terms of oFG% when contesting this season, and he did that while frequently taking the harder assignments in the league
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#98 » by LibertyPrime » Thu May 19, 2022 9:15 pm

Step into a time machine and warp himself back to those years when being guarded by Wiggins was less an impediment to your shooting percentage than being guarded by no one?
"The last domino falls here!"
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,096

Post#99 » by JB2 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:04 pm

Cut his finger nails
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,911

Post#100 » by DonaldSanders » Thu May 19, 2022 11:24 pm

Wiggins was great!

Luka will be better this series but I was hoping they did one of those super tough graphics to Doncic when he sat on the bench, probably the only opportunity we'd ever get in the playoffs:

Luka Doncic
7 turnovers, 6 FG

Return to The General Board