Shams: NBA is eyeing a rule change to “Transition Take Foul” that would award the team with one FT and possession

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Do you want this rule change?

Yes
83%
No
13%
Indifferent
4%

Total votes: 144

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Shams: NBA is eyeing a rule change to “Transition Take Foul” that would award the team with one FT and possession 

Post#41 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed May 18, 2022 8:58 am

duppyy wrote:I don’t know if I like it. One way to stop momentum is to stop a fast break from happening with a foul, just taking the ability away from coaches.

Fouling is breaking the rules. Breaking the rules should never be an advantage. Otherwise, just don't have rules.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Re: Shams: NBA is eyeing a rule change to “Transition Take Foul” that would award the team with one FT and possession 

Post#42 » by Hangtime84 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:01 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:I've been watching 2k22 on youtube and they always foul when there's some sort of transition. So hopefully it would help 2k games too.

As someone who plays proAM those players foul on any break opportunity which is extremely annoying.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,138

Post#43 » by duppyy » Wed May 18, 2022 9:33 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
duppyy wrote:I don’t know if I like it. One way to stop momentum is to stop a fast break from happening with a foul, just taking the ability away from coaches.

Fouling is breaking the rules. Breaking the rules should never be an advantage. Otherwise, just don't have rules.

Is it really breaking the rules when players are allowed to foul 6 times before getting booted?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed May 18, 2022 9:45 am

duppyy wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

Is it really breaking the rules when players are allowed to foul 6 times before getting booted?

Yea, that's literally why something is called a foul, because it's against the rules to do it. Is this a serious question?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#45 » by bearadonisdna » Wed May 18, 2022 9:56 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
duppyy wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

Yea, that's literally why something is called a foul, because it's against the rules to do it. Is this a serious question?

A foul is an infraction . It’s part of the game not an exploit . It’s like calling a ball or a strike breaking the rules or an exploit .
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed May 18, 2022 10:01 am

bearadonisdna wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
duppyy wrote:

A foul is an infraction . It’s part of the game not an exploit . It’s like calling a ball or a strike breaking the rules or an exploit .

in·frac·tion
/inˈfrakSH(ə)n/
Learn to pronounce
nounLAW
a violation or infringement of a law or agreement.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed May 18, 2022 10:01 am

I can't believe people actually think more fouling is good instead of expecting people to attempt to play defense instead of dead balling a play because they can't defend or messed up lmao.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#48 » by bearadonisdna » Wed May 18, 2022 10:07 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I can't believe people actually think more fouling is good instead of expecting people to attempt to play defense instead of dead balling a play because they can't defend or messed up lmao.

To me it seems like more hand holding to teams that can’t execute a fast break .
A fast break can occur almost every possession .
This shouldnt even be a question but since the opposing side seems so hardline in their stance.

Btw not all fouls are intentional on a fast break . It’s the fastest play in basketball and your gonna award free throws for plays on the floor.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#49 » by queridiculo » Wed May 18, 2022 10:32 am

bearadonisdna wrote:Btw not all fouls are intentional on a fast break .

The rule change specifically targets take fouls.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#50 » by bearadonisdna » Wed May 18, 2022 11:24 am

queridiculo wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:Btw not all fouls are intentional on a fast break .

The rule change specifically targets take fouls.

What’s a take vs a swipe or just play on the ball or a mistimed jersey grab ?
It’s all kinda semantical and we may invent a new flop , the take or transition flop . People will look to take every advantage of this rule .
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#51 » by bearadonisdna » Wed May 18, 2022 11:33 am

There’s been times where I’ve eluded to this this but I think of a great example and firm in my belief , and am calling it now:

A time when the masses were WRONG.

In conclusion This is a horrible rule.
1. Mucks up game play.
2.Fast breaks can occur at a rate not practical to police.
3. Player bait contact all the time and then refs have to differentiate what intentional or accidental. It’s abhorrent to defensive responsibility
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,898

Post#52 » by AussieCeltic » Wed May 18, 2022 11:35 am

It works really well in FIBA. Players adapt and you very rarely see it called and it makes for a better flowing game.

I don’t know how people are saying they don’t like the rule and want to limit fastbreaks.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#53 » by bearadonisdna » Wed May 18, 2022 11:49 am

AussieCeltic wrote:It works really well in FIBA. Players adapt and you very rarely see it called and it makes for a better flowing game.

I don’t know how people are saying they don’t like the rule and want to limit fastbreaks.

Don’t FIBa games rarely score on the 100s?
- They allow you to take the ball off the cylinder .
- They need to open up their league but the nba doesn’t need more opening up .
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#54 » by bearadonisdna » Wed May 18, 2022 11:56 am

This is like punishing a pitcher for intentionally walking a guy.
The infraction is the penalty in itself. Now they wanna double dip
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#55 » by John Murdoch » Wed May 18, 2022 11:59 am

Take foul always felt like a Fiba thing too me
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,898

Post#56 » by AussieCeltic » Wed May 18, 2022 12:16 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:It works really well in FIBA. Players adapt and you very rarely see it called and it makes for a better flowing game.

They play 40 minute games…

I don’t see the issue? Take fouls happen like once a quarter max. It’s not going to dramatically change the game but it will allow for transition and fastbreaks to actually happen. Right now, it’s an automatic foul and it’s only really come into the league over the last few seasons.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#57 » by celtics543 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:38 pm

Just put in a soccer "play on" rule. If the fastbreak fails then award the foul.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#59 » by bearadonisdna » Wed May 18, 2022 12:40 pm

AussieCeltic wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:

They play 40 minute games…

I don’t see the issue? Take fouls happen like once a quarter max. It’s not going to dramatically change the game but it will allow for transition and fastbreaks to actually happen. Right now, it’s an automatic foul and it’s only really come into the league over the last few seasons.

In the nba a fast break can happen in nearly every possession . It all depends on the player
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#60 » by bearadonisdna » Wed May 18, 2022 12:42 pm

TokeBulls wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:Nah , then you gotta differentiate wats a fast break or not .

The offense is already roided up. It can start a dangerous precedent of classifying and tiering normal fouls . What next on emphasis on dunk fouls? 3 point fouls ? Next it will be more of a foul baiting league then it is

You just don't want it because Ayo will be better with it and you hate him

Please the Ayo obsession got me banned from the bulls board . He in not in the tier of discussion for the GB in the playoffs

Return to The General Board